Kindergarten Concerns - Help!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

Kindergarten Concerns - Help!

My son will go to kindergarden next year.  I'm hearing from a lot of kindergarten parents that the transition can be rough, especially for boys.  He has been in preschool, and even though it'll be an adjustment, I think he'll probably do just fine.

It seems like the expectations for young kids are very high, so much more advanced than when I went to school.  I don't want him to get stressed out or down on school.  I know that this is my own anxiety, and I'm just looking form some insights from parents who have been through it.  Anyone?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from whipsmama. Show whipsmama's posts

Re: Kindergarten Concerns - Help!

Hi MM.... I had the same concerns & worries about my daughter when she started kindergarten (she's now in 2nd grade). First, the anxiety you're feeling is very normal! Second, you are right about the expectations for young children being high. I've heard it said (even by teachers) that kindergarten is the new first grade. Given that your son's in preschool, he is already is familiar with routines (i.e. circle time), teachers, playing and working with peers...so consider that a bonus! But you know your son best---how does he respond to new situations? Is he shy or super sociable? When is his birthday compared to the school date cut-off....is he an August baby who just met the 9/1 deadline, or is he a December baby who'll be a little older than some of his peers? Is her mature for his age? How do the preschool teachers think he'll transition? This spring your town/city will hold their kindergarten screenings, so you may get some more helpful information there on what to expect. A lot of communities also hold a kindergarten information night for parents, which I think can help ease some anxiety. But not having a son, I can't speak to any concerns that parents of sons might have. But I just wanted to reach out & say you'll be OK & you are not alone!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

Thanks Whipsmama, just knowing it's a normal concern is really helpful.  He'll be on the older side of the spectrum, which I think is a plus.  We have orientation in a few weeks, so hopefully just learning more, visiting the school and meeting the staff will put us both at ease.  I really appreciate your insights!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

Went to the orientation and it was totally fine!  So much smaller than  I'd imagined.  Felt exactly like my little elementary school a loooong time ago.  Phew!  Now I'm actually looking forward to Kindergarten!  Thanks, Whipsmama!