OT - Grown-up books

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

OT - Grown-up books

All these posts with wonderful kid book recommendations are great, but currently I am desperate for a book for me. I don't know what my problem is, but I cannot choose a book at the moment. I literally spent almost an hour scanning possible Kindle titles on amazon last night and could not make a decision.

Any grown-up book recommendations? What are you reading?

Personally, I can't handle anything with sad or sentimental undertones right now. I would love something either funny, or fast-paced and intense, I even like sci-fi/fantasy/horror. I prefer fiction but am open to other things (just not parenting things right now, haha!) But I would love to know what you are all reading, what you've loved, what you haven't liked, and why. My book club dissapated after I had DD (almost 3 years ago!) and I've been hungry to talk books since then but haven't really had time.

Thanks in advance!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: OT - Grown-up books

I liked Runaway Jury a lot.  FAR better (and quite different in big ways) than the movie.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. It's one of those books you either love or hate. I find very few people in the middle. My book club book this month is an oldie- Old Filth by Jane Gardam.

"I'm always thinking one step ahead. Like a carpenter that makes stairs"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I like mysteries, so I've been going through the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich, I think they are up to 20 books now. She also has a sci-fi/fantasyish couple of books Wicked Appetite and Wicked Business that are funny, and based in Salem MA. I am also reading the Jack Reacher Series by Lee Child, much more violent, but incredibly suspenseful. Hope that helps!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Thanks! Northern, you are like the 8th person to tell me to read Gone Girl, lol. I think I will give it a try. Amy, I've been wondering about Janet Evanovitch books. I see them all the time, but have never picked one up.

Has anyone read the Divergent series? I liked the Hunger Games trilogy and my mother said I might like Divergent (my mom is the one who got me into horror/sci-fi).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

I love Jeffrey Deaver (the Bone Collector is the first one, with Lincoln Rhyme) - do read them in order because it makes more sense.  But he has another series with a different investigator and I like her very much, too.  I love psychological thrillers!

I like Patterson sometimes, I've been reading the women's mystery club group that he writes (with someone else helping or doing most of the writing, not sure) they certainly aren't the most challenging, but not too "lite" either. 

I'm not a big fan of the Kinsey Milhone series A is for Alibi, B is for burglar - by the time I got to the 5th one it felt too formulaic.

I'll see what else I have in my Kindle.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Another vote for the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. He also writes with Doug Preston and they have some really good stories as well. I also like Nelson DeMille and Joseph Finder. I finished Inferno by Dan Brown last week, that was excellent. 

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

I finished Gone Girl last month and LOVED it.  Didn't want to put it down.  I also have read most of the Stephanie Plum series and I really liked them.  I got a little sick of them which is why I havne't read the last two but I really do enjoy them.

My favorite author is Jen Lancaster.  Her memiors are absolutely hilarious; Bitter is the New Black is my all time favorite.  I enjoy her fiction but not as much as her memiors.  They are actually laugh out loud, tears rolling down your face funny.  Definitely check her out!

For quick, chick-lit/romance reads I like Susan Elizabeth Philips and Donna Kaufman.  Elin Hilderbrand has good beach reads, most based on Nantucket, but all involve some aspect of cheating which really just bugs me. Another author I enjoy is Barbara Delinsky.  I've read a lot of her books and have liked almost all of them.

Sorry for the long list.  I use to read 1-2 books a week.  Now I'm lucky to read 1 a month! Poppy if you haven't already signed up check out goodreads.com  You can find friends and see what they've read.  I'm actually friends with Northern and always check out her shelf for ideas!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

If you like fantasy, consider David Eddings, especially the Belgariad series (my favorite series of his). I love his non-fantasy book, Regina's Song, and I re-read that periodically.

I like Anne McCaffrey books a lot (I got hooked on the Pern series long time ago) - and she has some non-Pern books that I really like - The Lady (not fantasy nor close to being fantasy but if you like horses, this is a great read), and Nimisha's Ship (sci-fi).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Agree with clc-Barabara Delinsky is good and so is Kristin Hannah but if you are looking for avoid sad books, then don't read hers right now. They are really good and I have enjoyed them all but for the most part I find them sad and sentimental. Harlan Coben is one of my favorite thriller writers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh yes Harlan Coben. I recently read Six Years, it was excellent. 

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Kristin Hannah - I've only read Firefly Lane, don't read that unless you want to do the ugly cry.  I loved that book but seriously I was sobbing, (damn hormones, I'm now tearing up just thinking about that book).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

How about short stories?

Go back to the old days and read (or re-read) Ray Bradbury's stories.

Try the short stories Roald Dahl wrote for adults.  They're funny/creepy, rather dark (Hitchcock used several for his TV shows) and they do have a bit of the sexism of their day, but worth it. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Definitely join goodreads to get ideas from your friends!

I actually find that since DD arrived, I read more non-fiction because it tends to read better in small chunks and I can rarely read for a long stretch without falling asleep.  My favorites are travel stuff and memoirs.  Bill Bryson (my favorite is Neither Here nor There) - he's really funny.  Tina Fey's Bossypants.  Ruth Reichl's food-slanted memoirs - warning that there is a really sad part at the end of the second one (Comfort me with Apples).  Laurie Notaro - she is HILARIOUS.  Beverly Cleary's memoirs.  Chelsea Handler's books are funny if you don't mind a little smut.  David Sedaris.  Calvin Trillin.  I also read child development stuff, but you said not that.  :)

Overall, I don't like to read anything scary or upsetting -- I have the news for that!  I tend to go for Nick Hornby, Laurie Colwin, Elinor Lipman, Wallace Stegner, and old stuff like Jane Austen.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from InfiniteDreams. Show InfiniteDreams's posts

I'm mostly a lurker, but I just can't resist a good book conversation.  Laughing

I loved the Divergent series. I devoured the first two and am now anxiously awaiting the third. Also, if you like YA, some of my favorite YA authors lately have been Cassandra Clare, Holly Black, Kiersten White, Kristin Cashore, John Green, and Louise Rennison (The Georgia Nicholson books, anyway - I haven't read her other stuff). I also enjoyed Sherrilyn Kenyon's Chronicles of Nick - it's related to her Dark-Hunter series but on a YA level.

And speaking of Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter series, those are always a fast read. They're pretty entertaining, as far as paranormal romance is concerned. I blew through all 20-something of them this summer. I like the overall story arc of those, even if the individual books are a bit too formulaic for my liking.

Let's see ... For general fantasy (at the grown-up level, not YA) I've really been enjoying Brent Weeks (the Dark Angel trilogy was excellent and I can't wait for the third book in the Lightbringer series) and Patrick Rothfuss (can't wait until the third one comes out) and, of course, George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire. And if you've never read Steven King's Dark Tower series, I strongly recommend it (it's more in the fantasy realm, not his usual horror). I've also enjoyed his son Joe Hill's work, especially the Locke & Key comics (also published in graphic novel format).

And hands-down the best thing I read so far this year was Neil Gaiman's Ocean at the End of the Lane. You can really never go wrong with Neil Gaiman, IMHO.

I read a lot and could probably come up with tons of suggestions given the time. My to-be-read pile is mostly full of YA and fantasy (and YA fantasy), so most of my recommendations would reside there. I'm very much a genre reader these days.

Happy reading!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

I read Before I Go To Sleep this summer and LOVED it (plus they're making a movie with COLIN FIRTH as one of the leads. Sold!)

Speaking of Colin, I always fall back on Jane Austen when I want a comfort read. P&P is my go to.

I read The Dressmaker, which was a fictional account of the first weeks after the Titanic sank. It was okay; it had a completely unnecessary love triangle. But it's a quick read and despite the subject matter was not sad.

Others I've read in the last few months: Reconstructing Amelia,

The Bride Quartet from Nora Roberts

I've Got Your Number (from the Shopaholic author)

Ricochet (Sandra Brown),

Lisa Gardner's DD Warren novels (but those can be a little disturbing, so unless you want to be up all night, read during the day)

In The Woods (Tana French)

A Discovery of Witches (which was phenomenal)

Your Voice in My Head (a memoir from one of Colin Farrell's exes. It's a little heavy because she's depressed, but it was so well written)

Sweet Tooth

The Night Circus

The Ex Pats

I read A LOT while DS or DH is watching TV.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Ooh! The news about Before I Go to Sleep makes me very happy. Such a good book!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

KMMZ - P&P is my go-to fall back comfort book as well.  :)  How wrong was the guy in the movie version compared to the perfection of Colin Firth in the miniseries??

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I'm on the nonfiction team with med.

But if you're looking for funny, I just read Tina Fey's Bossypants at the beginning of the summer and loved it.  It was interesting because it was kind of crazy and sarcastic and weird and funny while at the same time being a genuine expression of what it feels like to be a working mother. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Yes, in the year since my son was born I have been re-reading all my old favs: P&P, S&S, Secret Garden, The Little Princess, Jane Eyre... it was great, but I think I'm ready to come up to the present now. :) As an aside, I actually read my first Regency-era romance based on the Austen style. Called Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson. I'm still not sure what I thought. It was a fun and easy read, and of course the male protagonist was to die for.

Neil Gaiman is also my number 1 go-to. Love, love, love. The problem is, the beginning of Ocean at the End of the Lane wrecked me with one small event that happened, so I haven't been able to go back to it. I'm WAY too sensitive right now! It's painful because I want to read it but am not quite ready. I'm also upset over it because I missed out on hearing him speak/getting it signed when he was in Cambridge. The tickets sold out instantaneously.

Ok, I committed and bought Bitter is the New Black and Gone Girl! Of course, have had no time to start either one yet!

Thanks for all the great fantasy/sci-fi recommendations, along with all other titles, and the Bradbury reminder; I do love his stories. And I always forget about GoodReads!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Finished Gone Girl, and started Bitter is the New Black! Gone Girl was an intense read. Bitter is pretty funny so far. On deck are: Everyone is Beautiful (fiction by Katherine Center) and Raising Freethinkers: A Practical Guide. Also just received Fortunately, the Milk (Gaiman's new one) in the mail.

Thanks for helping jumpstart me back into reading!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

I picked up Before I go to Sleep based on the recommendations in this post. Really enjoyed it!

Now I'm reading Claire Messud's The Woman Upstairs, which is great so far.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Apparently it's been quite a while since I first tried to reply to this and wasn't able :o)
    I'm looking for recommendations for some light reading.  I love Emily Giffin's books (Something Borrowed, etc.), but I believe I've read them all.  Maybe I should try Bitter is the New Black? 

A couple months ago when I was looking for something light, I realized I hadn't finished the Sookie Stackhouse series and read the last two of those books.  Anyone else guilty of reading those?

I just finally read The Other Boleyn Girl and loved it.  It had been recommended a million times, including probably by some of you, but I didn't think it was my style.  Would anyone recommend other books by Phillipa Gregory?

I loved Gone Girl, and Sharp Objects was very good too, but boy did I need to read something light and funny after those two!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

For fluffy stuff I usually recomend books by Hester Browne (Little Lady Agency series & Finishing Touches). I also love Sarah Addison Allen-her books are generally set in the South with a little magic involved. I never liked Jen Lancaster so I can't recomend that one. Bill Bryson's I'm a Stranger Here Myself and A Walk in the Woods were both funny as well.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

I've been reading lots of fluff lately.  I'm currently reading The Weekday Bride series by Catherine Bybee.  For anyone with Amazon Prime it's part of the Kindle Lending Library.  Also, they are only $2.99 for Kindle if you need to purchase them.  They are very quick reads but entertaining and cheap! 

A few deeper reads are Russian Winter - by Daphne Kalotay and Left Neglected by Lisa Genova.  Both were excellent. I'm a sucker for a good back story so when I heard Lisa Genova lives on the Cape and when she couldn't get anyone to publish her first book, Still Alice, she sold them on Main St in Chatham out of her car, I couldn't stop myself from picking up her book.  She's now been on the NYT Bestsellers list.  I own Still Alice but haven't read it yet but I've heard great things about it too.

Sections
Shortcuts