Preschoolers @ the movies?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

Preschoolers @ the movies?

Just a quick questions. DS is a little noise sensitive. He'll be 4 in August and we're exposing him to lots of new things this year (Fenway Park, swimming lessons, etc). We were thinking of finally taking him a to movie.  How old were your little ones when you took them to their first movie? I'm totally willing to bail if DS freaks because of noise/dark/what have you, but do you think he's still too young?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Re: Preschoolers @ the movies?

If he has a disability or diagnosed difficulty, ask people who deal with that kind of thing how best to do it. Some movie theaters have less-sensory-overwhelming movie events (lights not down all the way, sound a bit lower) for sensitive kids.

If he is just more sensitive than average then I'd say go for it.  Four should be fine. Don't rush out at the first sign of not liking it (give him a few minutes) but leave if he really gets upset and try again another time.

Let him know what to expect...maybe watch a movie at home or a friend's house in the dark like at the movies...but don't overdo it.  The bigger a deal you make out of his possibly being afraid/overwhelmed, and the longer you put it off, the harder it's going to be.  Don't put off basic social experiences (movies, restaurants, playdates without Mom, eventually sleepovers) indefinitely unless you absolutely have to.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

I'd do it during the day, at the early morning one, or at a 3pm showing so he can get his nap in (if he still takes a nap).  That way when you leave the theatre it's still light outside and it will be less disorienting.  the biggest issue is choosing the right kind of movie - and sitting on an aisle so you can leave without breaking your leg going down the stairs or over people's legs if you must leave.  And I'd agree with the former poster - see if he can handle it before just bailing. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

KMM, I believe some theaters have kids day where they show kids movies in a theater with other kids, so there is no need to be on your best behavior, that may work for him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If he's truly noise averse, you could try soft earplugs.  You can certainly hear the movie with those in, and it would dampen the jarring noise quite a bit.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good point Kar, a co worker gets them for his 5 year old.  They are the rubber ones that musicains use.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

KMMZ- we took DS to his first movie when he was about 3-it was whinnie the pooh-DS did great! But man it was loud! (def bring ear plugs if you think he would wear them) How does your DS do watching a movie at home-can you watch them with the volume turned up a bit? if he can sit through it, i'd give it a go! Movies can be a fun experience. 

I'd stick to a truly kid movie (not one made for adults but looks like a kid would enjoy)-and go with open/low expectations. My mother brought DS to the muppet movie-and he was totally not interested in it, granted he has never really been exposed to the muppets before, but the humor was above his head and the stuff that appealed to him didn't start for a while and he had already checked out of the movie at that point.

They have booster seats for kids, get the popcorn and have fun!I think they the Dory movie -the Nemo "sequel" is coming out this summer-that might be fun for him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If earplugs are part of the plan, definitely "play" with them ahead of time so the movie isn't his first earplug experience, too.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

Thanks for the tips! Ever since he had tubes in his ears, loud noises bother him. He has those ear muff looking things that people wear when they do yard work - he wears them when I vacuum or when DH cuts the lawn, so maybe those will work at the theater too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Definitely.  If he wears them comfortably already, it's a no brainer!  He'll be able to hear the movie and not be overwhelmed with the volume.  Perfect.

Sections
Shortcuts