Preschoolers - September Updates

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Re: Preschoolers - September Updates

DD has her first day of pre-K today! SHe is excited and shy (she says). I'll have to see how she feels when I pick her up!

The book list is great. I love the Frances books, but DD only likes Bread and Jam for Frances. I've tried reading her some of the others, but she isn't a fan. She likes Amelia Bedelia as well.... She talks about undusting now, instead of dusting, just like Amelia Bedelia. And Ezra Jack Keats wrote Snowy Day and Whistle for Willie, both of which feature an African-American boy as the protagonist. It's not a longer book, but I have been reading Wacky Wednesday to DD, and she really likes finding all the wacky things, which makes it take a fairly long time to get through. We are reading the copy that was mine when I was her age, but I think it has been reprinted.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Luv - I brought this book up a month or so ago in I&T but it could work well for your DD, Llama Llama Red Pajama.  Baby Llama gets scared because he's alone in his room and calls for his Mama Llama.  When Mama Llama finally comes up stairs she explains that even if she's not right there, she's always near.  (I'm paraphrasing but we've read this book so many times I could probably type it word-for-word) Anyway, it's a short sweet book that might help your DD at bedtime.  Best of luck!

Also, I need to create a list of all of these books.   I LOVE reading and can't wait until DS wants to read more books.  We are currently stuck on Brown Bear which I can also do from memory.  We read it at least twice a night as we won't let me read anything else!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I do love Frances.  :)  DD likes them, too, although we only have one and the others we've just read at the library.  I'll make a point of checking one out next time.  I am excited about the Amelia Bedelia recollection!!  I had forgotten about those.  DD is starting to *love* silly things and word play, so I think she will be starting to "get" that humor.  DD also loves the Ezra Jack Keats books that amy lynn mentioned.

My mom just unearthed the Little Bear book from when I was little and DD and I both love it.  It has four stories in it.  My MIL saw it and asked if it was based on the TV show.  Um, switch that.  But apparently there's a TV show!

I noticed that the Little Bear ones are marked as the "I Can Read" series, and the pictures are only on one side (usually), but the text is not long or dense.  I'm going to look for other books in that series because DD is starting to get really into wanting to find out about particular words, so it's nice that the text is larger (and not too much of it because it takes a long time if she's in the mood to search out or read the letters for a lot of words...)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

THanks for all the sleep advice.  I found a book in her shelf called "Tell me something Happy before I sleep" or something along those lines, and we read it on Sunday before bed with some success.  We also brought a new nightlight into her room Sunday night.  She did actually tell me that night that she is scared that I won't be there when she wakes up, and we talked about how I'm right in the next room, and how I always come when she calls me.  We read "I love you all the time" too, which says "even when you can't see me, I love you all the time".  

I was out last night at bedtime, but DH ended up lying on the couch with her, with music on, and she fell asleep there.  Not in her bed, but transferred well.  The poor little thing...it's tough to be almost 3...all these new words and recognitions of the world around her.  She feels things pretty deeply and with empathy, which I love and am amazed by.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

DS *loves* the Frances books. Bread & Jam is his favorite too. I hate reading Bedtime for Frances to him because he starts to act it out (much as I did when I was his age, which was why my dad hated reading it to me).

There's a book that DS loves (about manners) called The Elephant and the Bad Baby, about a baby who never says please. It was one of my favorite books when I was his age. I don't know if it's still in print in the US or not; I think my sister ordered it off Amazon UK for DS (the extremes we go to in order to keep beloved childhood books alive for our kids).

My mom's a former elementary school teacher so DS's book collection is ridiculous. All my old books (most of which are no longer in print), plus all my records of the books. I sing the Chicken Soup with Rice song to him sometimes when we want to be silly, but I haven't found my copy of the Pierre books yet. Maurice Sendak can be a little scary sometimes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Luv - your post is so sweet.  I really like how you're viewing your DD's sleep troubles - with empathy, and the recognition that it's tough to be having these new understandings and fears.  I have been trying to keep that in mind when my own DD has trouble going to sleep or a hard time in a new situation.  It's hard to do, but it does help me to react with more kindness and less frustration.  Usually.  :)

ETA: KMMZ, DD is the same with Llama Llama Red Pajama - she wants to yell and mama to run.  :/  And I agree about Maurice Sendak - the books are beautiful but DD told me straight up that Where the Wild Things Are is scary scary scary.  He is actually the illustrator for the Little Bear books I love, but not the author.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

DS would sometimes randomly say "I will not eat you up, Mama!" and it is clear he is referring to the book Where the Wild Things are.

Books are the one thing we go crazy over - both DH and I. DH is ordering one volume at a time from a UK seller for the Thomas series volumes 28-42 (classics - DS loves those, and has no issues understanding the British versions and DH could not find the volumes with the same look with US sellers).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Hi CT - We started pre-K on Friday. DS is doing really well. He runs into his classroom and shouts "Bye Mamma" and is gone. DD is having a harder time separating. But it's a big change for them. A full day and they are separated. We've worked out a routine for saying goodbye in the morning: A kiss, a hug, and a kiss into the palm of her hand that she can hold on to. It worked well yesterday. She's smart and not shy, so I know in a week or so she'll be fine.

As I mentioned above - I separated them this year on the advice of the experts - who were all in agreement that they would do better and learn more if they didn't spend so much time "worrying what the other one was doing". I'm certainly going to take it year by year as far as separating them. There is a law in MA that "twins or higher order multiples who are in the same school and the same grade must be accommodated according to the wishes of the parents." It was enacted in 2010 after so many parents had problems with their children being forcebly separated. One mother was told to choose which of her two very smart daughters would get to participate in an advanced program even though both had qualified. One family was told to choose which of their triplets would go into "the other class" in a school with two kindergarten classes. They were told if they refused to choose, the school would rotate the trips in and out so that one was always alone. It was madness, and thankfully this difficult decision is now back in the hands of families - where it belongs.

Yes - I'm thrilled that I prevailed with my quest to get them both in the full day program. And I've been super sweet to the evil director who was against accommodating me in the first place. It gives me some much needed time during the day. Now I can concentrate on moving my dad in with us. And maybe, just maybe I can have a little break once in a while. :)

Haven't seen Daisy around these boards in a long time. I do think you need them less and less as your kids get older. And I know Stefani - (yes b/g twins and a baby) is dealing with some sort of developmental delay diagnosis - I think her son has ASD.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

There you are, Misslily! I sent you a message.

I love all these book reminders. I'm ordering Frances and Little Bear today, and maybe Amelia Bedelia too. Luv, I too love your approach. Although it made me feel slightly guilty that I let DD "scream it out" for a few minutes at bedtime last night before she passed out! She was way overtired and I knew she'd succomb if she gave herself a few minutes. Which "I love you all the time" do you read, btw? There are 2 on amazon: Hirschman/Cole and Wick.

Hope all the LOs starting pre-K had good days!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Poppy, don't beat yourself up.  Knowing what you'd like to do is not the same as enacting it at the end of a long day.

I have to share a story from daycare yesterday.  I think it relates to KAM's DS being the oldest one and CT's discussion of differentiating activities, but also it was very encouraging about my own DD for those who have listened to all my worries about her.  A teacher was playing letter bingo with a group and picked a letter and asked what it was.  The kids were not sure, but DD (who hadn't wanted to play but was loitering nearby) chimed in.  Another kid asked, "(name), can you help me find it on my card?" and DD actually DID, and they sort of almost kind of just barely worked together on the game.  :)  It was so nice to hear something about DD's strengths actually helping her, after hearing so much about her weaknesses socially, and it made me so happy that this other kid, who is great socially, was willing to collaborate with DD.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Med-that's such a sweet story! This is just the beginning for your DD! Awesome

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

In response to medfordcc's comment:

A teacher was playing letter bingo with a group and picked a letter and asked what it was.  The kids were not sure, but DD (who hadn't wanted to play but was loitering nearby) chimed in.  Another kid asked, "(name), can you help me find it on my card?" and DD actually DID, and they sort of almost kind of just barely worked together on the game.  :)  It was so nice to hear something about DD's strengths actually helping her, after hearing so much about her weaknesses socially, and it made me so happy that this other kid, who is great socially, was willing to collaborate with DD.

Oh, congrats to little med, and THAT's why I'm such a big fan of mixed age grouping, because those with different skills can be helped by others.  YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  And so cool that your daughter followed through and helped him - you'll see, by Christmas your daughter will be a whole new woman!  So exciting!  (and so GREAT!!! that the teacher shared this anecdote with you yesterday, what a caring teacher who knows you've been worried.  Please go tell the director how happy you were that the teacher thought to share that, and thank the teacher, too (it's just that the teacher's boss needs to also know that you were happy, believe me, I remember those things when it's review/raise time.) 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Med - that's great! Those little victories mean so much (to both parent and child).

DD decided to potty train this weekend! She is now in underwear except for sleep times. I was surprised and rather unprepared, and it was our busiest weekend this month! I all but tried to talk her out of it. But, she was ready and I couldn't deny her. She had one accident all weekend, and we were constantly on the go, in the car, at a birthday party, at a baby shower, at the mall... I need to perfect my travel potty solutions. I ended up bringing both our little bjorn potty AND the little seat that goes over the big potty everywhere we went. I did have a moment of panic when she said she had to po0p when we were in the parking garage, so I took out the little potty for her to sit on, no big deal, and suddenly realized I would have to somehow DISPOSE of the p0op, and had no bags or anything. Luckily it was a false alarm. Do you all have a travel potty/seat/system you love?

Oh, and she's still a little nervous about the whole thing and wouldn't p0op in the potty yesterday, only in a diaper (which she was already wearing because she napped). I let her do that, is that what you've all done in that situation? Also, she had a mini-meltdown Sunday morning, after all day Saturday in underwear, saying she only wanted to wear diapers "ALL DAY." I was pretty much of the mind that we couldn't be going back and forth and letting her dictate if it was a diaper day or a potty day, so was pretty firm about no diapers except for sleep times. She eventually calmed down and was agreeable, but I wasn't at all sure I was doing the right thing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Way to go Poppy!!  And horray for only one accident.  I'm no expert at all, as we are still in the thick of it.  My DS, only a few weeks older than your DD, got the hang of pee very quickly.  He could be in underwear exclusively, even naps (diaper for nighttime) if it were just about pee.  A BM is a completely different tune.  He just doesn't get the sensation difference.  And has usually already started going when he tells you he needs to go.  He has gone in the potty twice from start to finish, and both times been incredibly proud of himself (wants to see, cheer, etc.)... so I know there is no terror about going in the potty.  Because DS is now in school/daycare 5 days a week, and his BM-soiled underwear was getting thrown away, we decided to start pull-ups each morning.  DS uses them like underwear for pee... announces his need for potty and doesn't pee in them.  However, he does his BM in them, and then the teachers put him in underwear after.  He is 7 times out of 10 a morning BMer... so he's often in underwear a good portion of the day (even for naps now since he sleeps fairly short... and like yours... often doesn't nap at all).  That's our system for now.  I do try underwear-only on the weekends as I'm willing to clean them if a BM accident occurs, and also can watch him like a hawk, more so than the teachers, and want to try to catch him and put him on the potty for BMs so he can get the hang of it.  We'll see... Good luck though... sounds like you are off to a great start with her recognition of elimination sensations!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Poppy, I believe your inclination to not allow your child to dictate to you if it's a potty or diaper day is 100% correct.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Med, I love that story about your DD and Bingo.  Definitely write that down somewhere so you can share it with her someday. So sweet.

Poppy, oh potty training...so much fun!  So great your DD declared she was ready for undies, I think that will make it so much easier for you in the long run that it was her decision, and so what if it wasn't an opportune weekend. When is it ever an opportune time for this type of thing - probably never! It sounds like she did great!  As for travel potty, I totally stressed over this too and ended up with a potty that is called the My carry potty or something like that. It has a handle and it sort of opens and closes with a vaccuum seal so she can "go" in it and then you can just close it up and carry it with you until you can find someplace to dispose of it.  Of course, that means you have to clean it out, which is pretty gross!! I try to keep a stash of plastic bags inside of it and use them as a liner.  So, benefits of mine is that it is small and light and easily portable but drawbacks are the cleaning, especially of #2, is gross. I have seen another travel seat that looks like a seat that would fit on the toilet but has pop-out legs that can make it into a sort of travel potty but you need to have a bag to catch the pee/p**p or else it would land on the floor.  Bottom line,  I don't think one travel system is perfect.  But the good news is that as your DD catches on she will get to the point where she will be able to go before you leave and hold it until you get to a bathroom. My DD who is 3.5 has been potty trained for about 9 months or so and she rarely has to use the travel potty, although I still keep it in my trunk for emergencies. 

ETA1 - as for bringing around a potty seat that fits into the top of the toilet, I did that too for a little while. But now, at 3.5, my DD doesnt really use that much anymore.  When she was first potty trained she needed it so she wouldn't fall in but it is hard to climb up on the toilet and get all set without someone else's help.  Now my dd likes being independent and she can hop up on the regular potty seat and balance with her hands without my help. (which is AWESOME!).  So just remember, these are temporary issues that will likely resolve as your dd gets more experienced going to the bathroom on her own.

ETA2 - Miss Lily, that's great that your kids are together.  My DD is friends with a set of B/G twins in her class and she loves having playdates with BOTH of them and was thrilled to be invited to their birthday party.  I think it's nice at this age for the kids to have the same friends and shared experiences.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Just wanted to pop on and say that we're thinking of you CT-DC.  Not sure where in DC you're located but hoping you, your staff and children are all safe! 

So sick that we're going through another scenario like this.  Praying the best for all effected. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Poppy, I'm so excited for your daughter and potty training.  We tried to do a little of that this weekend, as DD talks about wanting to wear underpants.  I don't think she's quite ready, though, and we had to go out that day so switched to pull ups for the afternoon... 

New approach that we talked about is that once she comes home, we'll do underpants until bed time every night this week, and then try on Saturday for another full day with no diapers.  We'll see. 

On a more positive note in our house, DD had a completely normal bedtime last night.  Totally asleep by 8:15.  She's got a bit of a fear of the dark now, which I think has been part of her tough bed times.  But she's talking more about it now, and we agreed to leave the light on until she went to sleep and it worked.  She even went back to truly normal bedtime routine, which means DH puts her to bed, which hasn't happened in over a week! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Thanks! And thanks, Rama, for the travel ideas! IPW, I definitely think the BM training is going to take longer. Luv, we definitely had days recently where DD was interested in wearing her underwear and using the potty, but what changed for us this past weekend was her, wearing a diaper, saying, "I have to tinkle." I'd take her in and she'd tinkle in the potty instead of her diaper. I think she suddenly could feel the need to go, which I don't think she could before. That said, she was confused when she was sitting on the little runner rug in our kitchen (for whatever reason she likes to sit there sometimes when having her lunch) and was suddenly all wet. She didn't believe me when I said, "You must have tinkled! It's ok, just an accident." She could not figure out why she was wet. Oh, and glad your DD had a better night last night!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Thanks for all the kind words about DD!  Really appreciate that.

Congrats to Poppy and others who are working on potty training.  Coincidentally, we went for it this weekend, too, with mixed results.  Day 1 she burned through 6 pairs of training underwear before lunch (pee only).  After nap, she had 1 pee accident and 1 successful pee on the potty before bedtime.  Day 2, no pee accidents but no pee on the potty either - we put a pull up over her bathing suit for her trip to swim class and she went then, as well as in her diapers at nap and then at bedtime.  But, she told us when she needed to p00p and did that on the potty.  Day 3, dry all AM in underwear including a car trip to take DS to the doctor (with pull up over the underwear).  Got home (still dry), sat - nothing, then she got super upset, then pee accident.  I am 99% sure the reason she got upset is because she was uncomfortable from holding it.  Today she started to pee just a teeny bit, stopped it and held it until we got to the potty, but after sitting said she didn't need to go after all, but then refused to put on underwear again and wanted a diaper.  So she can clearly hold it for long periods of time, and knows she needs to go, but somehow doesn't want to go in the potty.  Not sure what to do with my little control freak!  :) 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Med, not to sound the alarm, per se, but outside of the potty training issue, peeing 6 times before noon sounds like far too many times, medically speaking, and I'd get that checked out.  Even if she drinks more than average, that number of urinations raises a red flag in my mind because holding pee a long time is a high risk factor for a urinary tract infection.  And, peeing many times a day (and not wanting to) is a symptom.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Kar, I totally hear you and agree that it's too many times.  But it was just the first morning and I'm *fairly* sure that what was happening was that she would start to pee, realize, and stop herself.  Then when we would bring her to sit on the potty, she either didn't know how to start again or was afraid to.  So I think there were so many because she wasn't actually emptying her bladder.  That afternoon and on the days since then, it has been much less frequent.  But, now I am worried about effects of holding it too long, including UTI.  That's why I'm not sure about holding out on diapers.  I agree in principle that we should just go with underwear, but I don't want her to hold it so long it causes a problem if she's really not willing to use the potty.  And I'm not willing to physically force her into underwear.  I'm thinking of hiding the rest of the packs of diapers and telling her when the pack we have is empty, we'll only have the nighttime ones??

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Difficult issue, med. I'd rule out a current UTI, though.  It takes a lot of muscular control, more than potty training LOs generally have, to stop peeing mid-stream.  When they can do that, they usually are 100% trained.  I can't help with the diapers v undies issue, sorry!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Med, your daughter is going through alot - perhaps you put her in diapers and encourage her to "do all her pees and poops" in the potty even still.  And then if she's in diapers for pee, no biggie, but she'll do her BM in the potty.

Or you could buy the dreaded pullups for this reason - she is trained for #2 and not for #1.  Or just be in diapers for a few more weeks, then go gung-ho underpants and she'll be fine.

A few tricks of the trade:  always, but ALWAYS turn on the water just a trickle when she sits on the potty - it's hard to not pee when that faucet is trickling...

and also when you draw the bathwater, have her sit on the potty and "try" - you'll see, she'll probably pee because when that water GUSHES out, it's also hard to not pee - you know, you do the potty dance when you're getting that bathwater ready for the kids' baths, I know you do.... and I do the potty dance when I'm training all those kids with the water trickling....Laughing

but everyone, diapers at nap please for the first few weeks (and if a child like Med's uses the diaper at naptime at the beginning, that's fine too....) so your child won't worry about wetting and then not sleep a good nap.... let them relax at naptime, and at bedtime too.  If the diapers are dry most of the time after nap, then stop them for nap, and eventually at bedtime, although that might be another 6-12 months before you stop them at bedtime, depends on how deeply your child sleeps.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

In response to clc51510's comment:

Just wanted to pop on and say that we're thinking of you CT-DC.  Not sure where in DC you're located but hoping you, your staff and children are all safe! 

So sick that we're going through another scenario like this.  Praying the best for all effected. 

All's well here - we are far away from the Navy Yard where the gunman was - but parents were concerned and we did decide to stay in yesterday just to be over cautious - but we are VERY far away so I had no idea it was happening until parents started calling to see how we were!  It's like having something happen at Boston City Hospital and you're at the Pru, or Fanueil Hall - you just have no idea because it's on the totally other side of the city. 

Thanks for the concern!  I just wish it would stop happening.  I think we're going to find that the man was disturbed, perhaps even with schizophrenia or some other illness, given that a few weeks ago he was hearing voices and called the police to report it...  I just wish those with mental illnesses could get the help they need and that they couldn't get guns!  While I know all that business about "guns don't kill people, people kill people" I do know that it's actually people WITH guns who kill people - if he'd only had a knife he wouldn't have been able to kill as many people and it could have been wrestled away without so much loss of life.