Preschoolers - September Updates

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Re: Preschoolers - September Updates

How are all of our little preschoolers/pre-k-ers doing? I fear a rough drop-off tomorrow for DD (and DH) since last Thursday was a holiday so she hasn't been there in a week.

Potty training is going pretty well. She had a tinkle accident on Saturday because I forgot to take her to the potty after a ride in the car. I was about to take her and we got distracted. Poor thing, suddenly she's yelling, "Mommy, I'm tinkling, I'M TINKLING!!" from the living room. I ran in and she says, "Look!" and points to the little puddle on the floor then bursts into tears. We were both so upset (me for her) that I carried her to the bathroom telling her it was fine, just an accident, and set her down to dry her off... when DS comes crawling into the bathroom. Yep, crawled up the stairs by himself to follow us. Not the greatest mothering moment! But I put them both in the tub and they were happy. Otherwise, she is still not keen on doing her BM in the potty and will only really agree to it when she realizes she has to go NOW. Otherwise, if she feels she has the time, she insists on a diaper. I dont' fight it, I'm proud of her for coming this far and am just appreciating that she typically knows she has to go before actually going (although she did have a slight BM accident with my MIL).

IPW, Med, Luv - how's it faring with all of you?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

You're doing far better than I am on the potty training!  Saturday we went through 5 pairs of underwear, and didn't manage a single time on the potty. Yesterday was a chaotic day, so I backpeddled on my "if we're home, we're in underwear" rule.  Back at it tonight.  She just seems to have lost interest, although she did seem interested in the idea of a sticker chart, one sticker for each time she goes in the potty.  When she gets 10 stickers, she'll get a prize (I have a bag full of little stuff from the craft store and Christmas Tree shop).  Still no stickers on the chart, yet, though!  She does love wearing underpants!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

The sticker chart is a great idea. Hopefully it will help, however it's hard to accomplish anything with a toddler when they are not interested. This I know well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

We're doing ok...  DS had a random accident Saturday morning while playing in the living room.  Just let lose and pee'd his pants (he wears underwear all day on weekends).  He hasn't had a pee accident probably for a month.  But he came running over right away and knew he needed to be cleaned and changed.  BM is another story completely (glad to hear we're not the only one).  He seems to have no sense of when this sensation is (whereas he can tell pretty far in advance for pee and make it to the potty easily).  Since he will just go BM in his underwear, and daycare was throwing them out, we decided he'd wear a pull up to school and after his BM, they'd change him into underwear.  That's been working for a few weeks now with the occasional double BM day (in that case I either get very messy underwear in quadruple-bagged bags... or they go in the trash).  My only concern is that this habit will be hard for him to break.  Won't he just think pee goes in the potty and BM in his pull up?  We discuss how both go in the potty, and says he understands, but every day without fail, a BM in his pull up.  He never tells me or his teacher beforehand, but will tell me the second after he's done so he can get changed.  My nephew it took until he was FIVE to get BM figured out... good grief I hope we're not that long!

Good luck Luv and Poppy...its a challenge for sure :-)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

IPW-do you flush the BM from the pull-up? Can school do that too? It will help reinforce that BM goes in the potty too.

Luv- has your DD seen the reward yet? mayabe making it more tangible (oh, I get a toy car when I get 10 stickers) will help? Maybe even packing up all the undies (since she loves to wear them) and putting them away-having her help- until she is ready is the best method. My mother locked me out of hte bathrrom (I LOVED to flush things-EVERYTHING-which was costing my parents a fortune in plumber bills), she told me I wasn't allowed into the bathroom again until I needed to use it like a big girl. two days later I was fully trained.

I dread potty training DD, DS went so quicklly I'm bound to have a hard time with DD!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Poppy, laughing at the "I'M TINKLING!" - too funny!  Although I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time since the poor little thing was all upset.

We're not really making progress on this front... like Luv's DD, mine seems to have lost interest.  She's even lost interest in the underwear, which at first she was excited about!  I've mostly decided to back off for now, since she's just getting back to a point of being generally happy and calm after all her upheaval.  I think we'll give it a month or two until we try full force again.  In the mean time, she usually puts on underwear when she wakes up, then sits with no result and after the first pee accident, doesn't want any more underwear.  I think maybe we'll pack up all the underwear and tell her we'll set it aside for when she's ready.

I'm 100% sure she knows when she is going to do #2 because she only does it at home and she always goes off to do it (and tells us where she's going first).  I'm maybe 75% sure she can physically handle the pee part, but she has only had a real high volume pee in the potty once, and I'm not sure if not releasing is not knowing *how* to do it, or just not feeling like she wants to do it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

KAM - good suggestion.  So in the 2 months that we've been training, he's gone on the potty from start to finish twice for a BM (two other times when I caught him halfway).  Once I just happened to catch him (his face sometimes is a give-away) and ran him to the potty.  He was so excited that he did it, and wanted to see, flush etc.  The second time, right before his bath, he just went.  Again, same excitement.  So I think he does know that's where it goes... but I will just keep re-enforcing it over and over.  His teacher(s) keep saying "He'll get it... BM takes longer..."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

IPW - I think you just hit upon the reason for most of our BM successes: noticing "the look" then rushing to the potty. Definitely something more likely to be noticed at home than with teachers at school. I attribute any BM success we've had with the fact that DD is usually with a family caregiver who can catch her as soon as she has "the look". Or, in her case, "the stance." Anyone else's LOs have to stand and hold on to something when po0ping? DD always does. She gets all panicky if there isn't something around that meets her satisfaction, like a coffee table. If we're outside she says, "Mommy, what can I hold on to??!"

It's great that your DS has had some successes. It sounds like he definitely knows exactly how it all works, just doesn't get enough notice from his body yet when he has to go. I do notice that when DD is po0ping she gives it her full attention. I'm not sure it would occur to her to stop once she's started, even though she knows po0p goes in the potty. Now that I think about it, I do think our success is pretty much 100% a caregiver noticing the signs of impending BM.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

DD who is only 12 months, seems to always look for something to stand and hold onto for BMs (she has never pooped at night since being a newborn, and lately, we have been noticing that her diapers would sometimes be dry in the morning if we change her right when she wakes up, but then she will soak the diaper or changing mat or if DH plants her on the potty, she will pee in there... but isn't it too early for her to hold it all night? but we never have had the same night leakage issue with her that we did with DS at the same age). 

DS used to squat a little bit and make faces so we would know when he did it. And oddly, the last few months before he was potty trained, we noticed he would shift into a noticable pee stance (legs apart, and focus inwards) and then say "I peed in diaper" - sometimes he would even say "I need to pee... I go in diaper". I feel that what really motivated him was seeing all his friends in underwear (and I suspect seeing that even his friends have accidents once in a while, and teachers reacting very calmly about it - he is very sensitive to those nuances, and I suspect he internalizes a lot of what he sees with teacher interactions with other students, not just him). Nowadays, we can sometimes tell a BM may be coming when he does a funny shake that freaks out DH and I - sometimes, if we know it has been a while and either of us sees that funny shaking, we just plant him on the potty even when he tries to tell us he will wait until later. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Has anyone done a family photo shoot with one or more children under 3? We did one yesterday with my neighbor who is trying to start a photography business. We went to Smolak Farm. It was two hours of grueling physical labor; every muscle hurts. From chasing DS who would crawl away the instant we tried to position him somewhere, to carrying DD around because she suddenly decided she didn't want to walk/stand anywhere. Then having to smile through it all. Exhausting! I am very curious to see how they came out. I'll be happy if there's even one good one. DD decided on an "american gothic" theme - I don't think she smiled once during the entire thing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Poppy, we've done Portrait simple with the kids-and boy it was exhausting! Now I know why my parent never took us for photos! we got exactly 1 nice photo of all of us. When I take a pic fo DH and the kids, I just give him instructuions to only look at the camera and smile-not to bother with what the kids are doing, but the few times they've been smiling, he's not he's telling them to smile and he's pointing at the camera...lol

cwag-at 12 mo my kids would occassionally wake up dry. It always kinda freaked me out! Today DD (2) woke up dry, and man, she was pissed that DS got to the potty first. :) She actually sat down on her little potty instead of the big one today. She definitely prefers to sit on the big potty-but that maybe due to her new dora potty seat!

have we discussed this http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2013/01/ipotty-ipad-hits-potty-training/ here before?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

It's funny that you mention the ipad, KAM. A friend was just telling me about her experience last week taking her 4 year old to the ER because he needed stitches in his forehead. During the actual insertion of the stitches, the "youth coordinator" (or whatever her title was) actually held an ipad over him! He was immediately engrossed and didn't flinch at the stitches. The woman told my friend that the ipad has completely changed her job. Great, but also kind of scary that kids get so entranced...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Poppy that's funny-just took DD for her check up and got the pedi lecture about screen time and how "educational" apps are still screen time. I fully believe that there is a place and time (when mama needs to cook dinner etc.), but funny how the medical community will blast you for using them, then turn around and use it themselves. :)

But ewww, how nasty would that iPad be? Or the cover...

DH was just showing me a video of a guy interviewing a 2.5 to 3 year old, who couldn't answer simple questions like "what color is this" while holding a red block. But then they handed the toddler an ipad and the kid navigated his way to the app he wanted to play.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

The iPad is a lifesaver in our house sometimes.  I do consider it screen time as well, so I factor it into any daily TV time.  DS, who is 3 in 3 weeks, can turn it on, go to YouTube, find his favorites and pick from the 20 or so that we have put in there (they are all curious george, fireman sam or tractor tom 10-15 minute videos), skip the ad after 5 seconds and control volume, etc.  It's wild what they can do at this age with technology.  I saw that screen time article the other day, but didn't read it... what is "appropriate" screen time for this age?  DS gets 15-30 minutes in the morning and 15-30 minutes in the evenings for me to get ready/cook.  We tried downloading a Scooby Doo short movie not too long ago.. and at just about 30 minutes he lost interest, so I'm guessing that is even his own limit.  Fine by me, although I can't wait to watch some of the "kids" movies with him someday.  I just love Pixar and so many of those animated movies nowadays look so cute.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I think it's great about the iPad and the stitches.  That's the perfect time for something that's magically mesmerizing!  :)

This is sort of irrelevant, but regarding getting dinner ready - DD is starting to be able to cut things with a butter knife, and it's really helping the process.  Like if I make a zucchini into planks with a sharp knife, she can cut them up into little pieces.  Not that I need pieces of zucchini.  I meant it's helpful in the sense of getting her occupied so dinner can get ready.  Although hopefully this is the beginning of "helping" that is actually helpful!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

We're about the same screen time as you IPW, one Curious George in the morning while we're getting ready, and one show between bath and stories, when we're cleaning up and to help her settle down.  The only exception to that is Friday nights, which, starting about a month ago, are family movie nights.  So we get a movie on demand, and DD, DH and I all snuggle on the couch and watch with popcorn, etc.  We usually start it after a bath, when we've put DS down.  It's great because it's some special time that she gets with the both of us, and it makes her feel like a big girl.  We mostly do Disney/Pixar ones. Half the time she doesn't make it through the whole movie, but will fall asleep in one of our arms. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Luv - that is such a cute idea! She's about 3, right? Any particular movies you'd recommend?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Family movie night - that sounds like such a cute idea.  Although I'd probably be the one falling asleep on the couch these days!

We allow probably a little more screen time for DD, but that is because we let her watch some programs on her portable dvd player in the car.  We have a really long commute of over an hour each way every day, so in order to keep everyone sane, we let her watch it.

My DD is 3 and some of our favorites are:  The Lorax, Peter Pan, Cinderella, Finding Nemo, Lady and the Tramp, and the Curious George movie.  For shorter length programs, we have Arthur (from PBS), Martha Speaks, and Curious George.  One new favorite is Fraggle Rock.  She LOVES it and it reminds me how much I loved that and other Jim Henson stuff as a kid.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

We do family movie night every Friday night. DS gets a lot more screen time than I'd like during the week, but we're so busy on the weekends, I figure it has to even out somewhere, right?

We tried Ratatouille with him last movie night and he was having none of it. Movie night's pretty much a rotation of Peter Pan, Lady & the Tramp, Muppets Take Manhattan, Cars, Follow that Bird and Despicable Me.

Curiously, DS has no interest in going to a movie theater for a movie. He throws a fit if you even suggest it to him. He'd much rather sit at home with his movie snacks or his pizza and his Matchbox cars and watch something he's seen 1400 times.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

We do family afternoon movies-well when DD is sleeping and DS nees to "rest." Or if we do long car rides we let him watch a movie-DD just recently has been allowed a movie (usually plan longer trips around naps). But on a daily basis we limit, to one 20 min show each.

Luv-I have fond memories of family movie night growing up-anyone else remember the Disney movie special that came on Sunday nights? I grew up with restricted TV in the house, so to have those nights was so much fun!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Her favorites are Toy Story 2, Finding Nemo, Madagascar (we actually have those on the iPad now, so if we're on road trips we've got them)...we like Ratatouille and Cars...she loved Tangled. 

It's really nice, especially at the end of a long week when we're all so busy.  It kind of starts the weekend off for all of us on a good note, sort of reprograms DH and I into family time, as opposed to juggling everything as we do during the week.  And the fact that she gets to stay up "late" on Fridays is something that really excites her and makes her feel grown up.  The rest of the week it's stories and bedtime, but Fridays are special. 

I remember feeling similarly about "special" tv growing up.  The Muppet Show was on on Saturday nights, and we didn't wath any TV during the week when I was little, so it was my version of "must see tv"...in PJs with ice cream or some other treat...

When we got a little older, we still had limited TV during the week...my dad had an exception for the Cosby Show, though, because he loved it.  My mom worked THursday nights, it was special time just with Dad.  If homework was done, rooms were clean, we could watch too. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Oh, the Muppet Show!  Yup... I remember I would hurry hurry through bath and PJ's so I could make sure to get there in time for "It's the Muppet Show!" - no DVR rewind back then!

Have any of your kids gotten scared by these movies?  Or is it just when you get older that they seem scary?  I'm apprehensive of anything with missing or mean parents (Cinderella, Finding Nemo...) but I don't know if I'm projecting.  I'm also thinking of my niece (now 10) who has always been afraid of most animated movies, even those that seemed like safe bets (e.g. the Bee Movie).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Luv, what time do you start the movie? On a Friday it just seems tough, cook dinner, get the younger one in bed and then do the movie with the older one before they melt down... Our youngest doesn't go down until 8-8:30...I'd love to start that tradition!  

Med-DS didn't get scared from Toy Story 3 for a while, now I think he kind of fakes it since he knows it's a scary scene-he just wants us to be there when there is a scary scene.

But why does Disney have to make some sick twisted scary aspect of a kids movie?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

KAM, I don't know.  Although my therapist said that she thinks movies with an absent (lost or dead) parent are part of the way children process that they are growing up and separating from their parents.  Personally, I also think some of these movies are scarier to me now than when I was a kid.  I cried so hard at Up, but I don't think the gut wrenching sadness would be as strong for a kid because it would be further removed from their life experience.

Anywho, I am going to look for some live action musicals for DD.  Might start with Singing in the Rain.  There is a sesame video online (with Tilly & the Wall) that has tap dancing and she LOVES it.  Having trouble thinking of other options, though.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Med - I totally hear what you are saying about the "fear factor" in some of these movies.  We have held off on anything that I would consider really scary for a while.  Movies where there is a scary villain that could give her nightmares (Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, etc.).  Cinderella was okay for DD I think because it wasn't really scary - just had mean people in it.  Not that that is necessarily better... but DD doesn't relate to having a mean mom or mean stepsisters (thankfully!!), so it is all just pretend in her eyes I guess.  And in the end, there is a happy ending.  Good triumphs over meanness.  I do always manage to mention to DD that you don't always have to wait around for a prince to come to your rescue...  ha ha!  However, I do have to wince sometimes when I see just how un-politically correct some of these 1950s Disney movies are...  how times have changed...