Tipping at a kids birthday party

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Tipping at a kids birthday party

Quick question - I had my twins birthday party at one of those gym places this weekend. I spent almost $1,000 for 16 kids to have a Jumpin' gym party. That included cakes, pizza, juice, an art project and favors for the kids and a small sandwich platter and soda for the parents. The party was an hour and a half. I thought it was wildly expensive and only booked this place because by the time I got around to finding a place, most of the other ones were already booked up for June. I figured "what the heck - they take care of everything and it will be easy." When I got home yesterday I noticed that the invoice said, "gratuity not included."

Now I feel horrible - and also angry. Shouldn't a place that says that "they do everything", you know, actually DO EVERYTHING? I asked a friend of mine and she said it never occured to her to tip the party leaders when she did her kids party (at another venue).

do I have to go back with some cash in an envelope so i'm not a stiff? How much? (there were 3 leaders).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Tipping at a kids birthday party

I don't think it would have occurred to me to tip, either, because I would assume they were paid like non-waitress employees (who make far less than minimum wage because tips are part of their pay and need to be declared on their taxes, by law, anyway).  And, without knowing for sure, I'm still assuming they are paid a wage that does not assume tips, per se.  So, unless you got stellar service that went above and beyond their regular jobs with tons of attentiveness, etc., I'd let it go.  But, I'm no expert, and I really don't know how those leaders are compensated so it's really hard to say for sure.  

Hope you had a great time!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

That's what I was thinking. The base party was $600 - that's for 10 kids so I was charged an extra $20 each for the extra 6 kids plus $80 for the extra "leader" (the base party comes with 2 leaders). These people work at the place all week doing classes and stuff - they are paid some sort of salary and/or hourly wage that's not like a servers wages.

We did have a great time, but I won't be spending $1,000 in the future. I'll find a less expensive place and order my own cake and get my own favors. Or I'll take my chances and have something at home. I can rent a bouncy castle for under $200 and have cake and snacks outside for far less.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Well, live and learn. :)  And, I think you more than covered it.  I wouldn't allow them to guilt me into going back with anything given those circumstances.  I think if a tip had been in order it would have occurred to you at the time because you were blown away by the exceptional service that blew your socks off.  They are paid a salary, did their jobs, you were happy, you paid.  End of story imho.

ETA:  Maybe others disagree, but it's Sunday morning and you're stuck with just me at the moment. ;)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I'll be interested to hear what a few others say - not that I don't trust your judgement. I actually feel that way you do. I got what I paid for, paid plenty for it and had no idea I would be asked - or invited to pay more. It seemed that the staff was paid since I had to pony up $80 for an extra person when I went over the 10 kid limit.

As I said, I will willing to pay too much this year because after my mother died, I completely forgot about planning a party for them. I wanted to do it before the school year ended. They have July birthdays and I knew everyone would be out of town by then.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Years ago I would never have thought of tipping the dog groomer lol, but most people tip them 15% today.
    Hope this helps, from:  http://www.bigcitymoms.com/directoriesBirthday_qa.php

Tipping the Staff

For a staff at a venue:
    If you’re having your birthday party at a dedicated space, ask the manager what the protocol is. Some places do not allow tipping, others may point out in their contracts that gratuity is not included.  Generally, the amount of the tip depends on how many staff members were on hand at the party. If you have a pool party that required two lifeguards, you may want to give them $20 each. On the other hand, if you had a gymnastics party with a staff of five, then $10 each would be appropriate. Unlike restaurants or salons, there’s no exact formula and your decision on how much to tip should truly be based on the level of service provided.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

We've gotten far too tip happy in this country. I say skip the tip.  In fact, it's rather obnoxious that they included "gratuity not included" on the bill.  Tips are for personal services (stylists, aestheticians, barbers, waiters).  Yes, you got food, but that was not the primary function of the event.  Playing was.  And while pizza, snacks and cake is a "meal" it's not like they served a plated dinner and bussed tables.  I'm guessing they used paper plates.  As such, these are not typical waitstaff who get paid less than minimum wage, where a tip is culturally expected. Skip the tip and don't fret about it.  GL.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Misslily, of course, I understand wanting others' take on it - that's the beauty of the forums!

I'm so disgusted with that company for trying to guilt more money out of its patrons.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Geez MissLily, that place sounds expensive! We had my DD's party at a place this past february that did gym, art project, favor, balloons, plates, napkins, cupcakes, pizza and drinks and it was $350 for 10 kids and $15 for each extra kid. We had 12 kids so it came to $370. I know your party is over and you were not in a position to shop around for best price but I just wanted to put it out the that doing a party that is all inclusive at a gym place doesn't have to cost $1,000. (I am pro gym/all includSive parties because my DD1's birthday is in February and I had her first birthday party at our house and it was so stressful to have so many kids in our house at once [there are 9 cousins under thr age of 7!] that I vowed to always have her party out of the house at least until she's older and the kids are more mature. My DD2 was born in August and I am psyched to have her birthday at our house this summer with a BBQ and a bounce house for the kids to play on). 

Re your question: I did tip the two party leaders $10 each - they were college-aged kids and I liked how enthusiastic they were - and really made my DD Feel special- and they thanked me profusely so I got the impression it wasn't a given they got tipped. I don't think it's worth you going back to tip especially if you weren't blown away by their service at the party and it's especially not worth it if you don't plan on going back there again. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I say no tip unless they went WAY over the top for you.  I have been to this type of party and imagine the leaders did what they were supposed to do - get kids from one activity to the next, put out the food, etc., and were paid a regular wage/salary for having done so. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I've actually been thinking about this quite a bit since you posted it! I am the type who would feel guilty for weeks if I saw that line on the invoice.

I've decided I agree wtih Novem. I don't think you at all need to feel that you should go back and leave them more money. I think I would only do that, like others have said, someone went above and beyond what was expected/paid for.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Thanks Poppy.

I did post about it both here and on my Mother of Twins board. No one said,
    "Run right back and pay those poor girls immediately you cheapo!" so I'm letting it go. If anything i'm tempted to write to the owner of the franchise and tell her she should clear this up. It should either be in the contract or added into the pricing schedule or something. I think charging premium prices requires one to take the extra steps to avoid having the client dig into her wallet for cash at the end of the event.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If I were to write her to "clear this up" I'd have some CHOICE words for the audacity of implying that a tip was expected under those circumstances, honestly.  She'd be sorry she ever even THOUGHT about putting "gratuity not included" on her bill.  Some nerve, imo...as I've already stated but am PMSing so will repeat. ;)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from malw. Show malw's posts

We were recently guests at a similar event.  First, I'm horrified to think what they paid since there had to be 20+ kids there.

My children were among the youngest in attendance.  We were quickly reprimanded that adults (parents) were not allowed to get on the bouncers to assist the children / this was the staff's role.  So I watched what the event staff did, since they were small enough to really struggle on some of the equipment.  Some were good, others barely paid attention at all.  

Then a "pizza party" and cake.  Boxes of juice and a slice of pizza.  Paper plates.  Parental help mandatory...

In a million years i would not tip on top of that bill.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

An amusing article on tipping, and a follow-up one, if you are interested:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22846846

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22969465

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

I'm in full agreeance with the majority here. Not necessary to go back and give an additional tip to the fee you've already paid for all the services and supplies. 

"The Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself." - Benjamin Franklin

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Circles, is that you?!  How have you been - it's been years!  Hope all is well and the candle business took off.

Sections
Shortcuts