"morning" sickness

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Re: "morning" sickness

I suffered pretty badly from m/s and ended up on Zofran for a couple of months so that I could function. My symptoms started at about 6.5 weeks and were full-blown within a week of that. Things began to settle down around 16 weeks and I was able to stop the Zofran at 19 weeks. My symptoms varied from day to day...depending on stress, how much rest I got, if I could eat enough to settle my stomach, if I could avoid a smell that would set me off, etc.--you get the idea.

Oh, and my symptoms lasted all day. They didn't vary with the time of day.

Hope you are at the worst of it and that it goes away soon! M/s stinks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

Sprout, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you're one of the lucky ones that gets through the first trimester with only slight symptoms!  It definitely does happen, so hopefully that's you!

My m/s started a few days before the BFP (5-6 weeks) and lasted up until about 15 weeks.  It wasn't terrible at first, but after a week or two it got pretty bad.  Like kiwi, I had symptoms all day long, but they were the worst in the morning and at night.  Lunchtime was usually the best time of day for me and the only time I could attempt to eat a full, healthy meal.  I had nausea and crippling exhaustion every day, and probably ended up vomiting several times a week.  I have the utmost sympathy for anyone going through that now, because it was the WORST.

If it does get worse, I found that ginger candy, cold soda (I loved regular Coke), and always keeping something (usually carbs) in my stomach helped.  Oh, and coffee!  I couldn't stomach it for awhile, but when I finally started drinking a small cup of coffee in the morning it was the only thing that made me feel human again.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Sprout, I started getting mildly nauseaous around 5 1/2 weeks, and it was gone by 9 1/2 weeks. I never got physically sick - just occasional gagging, feeling icky. One episode of dry-heaving.

I hope you are as lucky as I was!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

Hi Sprout,

You might luck out.  I never had any morning sickness at all.  I had one or two bouts of nauseau just a couple times but never any vomiting or anything that lasted long - one in the morning, one at night (not sure if it was a smell making dinner or what).  I found that as long as i ate breakfast shortly after my shower and i ate snacks and meals normally throughout the day, I never got anything.  If i ever took my prenatal vitamin before breakfast and didn't eat for 20 plus mins, I'd feel terrible... so I made sure that I ate and took my vitamin first thing every morning.  I hope you luck out.  I will probably have payback with number 2..

Good Luck!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

First time around I started getting nauseous around week 5 it was throughout the entire day... it got worse at week 12 and I would also take Zofran on occasion when I'd start vomiting over and over again and couldnt even drink a sip of water. It didn't subside until around week 24. I still vomited pretty much every morning after that for a long while, but the all day sickness was pretty much gone. I was also extremely hungry all the time but didn't feel like eating anything.

This time around (closing in on 8 weeks thus far) I am only occasionally nauseous, more in the morning than evening - still pretty hungry a lot of the time though. I am cautiously optimistic that I am starting to feel a bit better as the days go by. But I think I'll really feel out of the woods once I hit the 12 week mark.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1stTimeMom90709. Show 1stTimeMom90709's posts

I actually didn't start my morning sickness until the 15th week which is typically when it's supposed to stop.  It wasn't too bad.  It was usually some dry heaving after I got out of the shower when some clear liquid would be all that came out.  I usually felt better by 10-11 AM.  I think this lasted for a good 10 weeks - maybe longer.  I can't remember.

Now that I'm on my second go around it's still the same.  13 weeks and no m/s though I am starting to notice a sensitivity to smell and some gagging when I brush my teeth so I am thinking it may be the same as last time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Week 24, Be nice?  That's dreadful!  You poor thing.  I can't imagine feeling like this for 4 more months! 

Pugs - glad to hear that coffee helped you.  I haven't had a coffee yet since the BFP, but I crave it so badly.  I remember how relieved you were when the symptoms started to wane!

Thanks, everyone...I will keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't get worse than this.  I have found that if I eat every hour (a small snack) and always keep something to s-uck* on handy (I have a bag of ginger candies and Lifesavers), then I can nip the nausea in the bud before it gets bad.  My coworkers are watching my every move so I'm sure they're wondering why I'm suddenly addicted to hard candy and bagels and have given up my daily salad habit :)

*really boston.com?  can you find a synonym for this word?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

You're doing things right Lil- I also found that eating crackers in bed before I get out of bed helped me feel better for the entire day. I found that if i got an empty stomach esp. right off the bat, I was scr*wed.  Last week I stopped doing this (wk 14) thinking i was in the clear, but I was nauseous on the way to work, so this week I'm back to doing it again.  I've actually felt the worst in the p.m. after a looong work day, I'm tired and can't get off the couch. Sometimes I'm so dizzy and nauseous I just have to go to bed! 
     I'm ready for the "second trimester is the best!!" stage everyone keeps talking about!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

Sprout, my m/s started around week 7 and was really bad for three weeks and then only moderately bad for another three weeks. I also had heartburn, gagging when I brushed my teeth, mild cramping and really bad headaches. The m/s started within a minute after I'd get out of bed - no joke. Most of the time I just felt nauseous, but I did throw up about a half-dozen times. I survived on cereal (including a baggie on my nightstand so I could have a few bites before I got out of bed), ginger ale and frozen meals for lunch/dinner. The only time of day that was half-way decent for me was late morning/early afternoon. I was physically exhausted by the end of the day, but I think it had to do with fighting through the symptoms and getting through the day. I believe the symptoms came pretty quickly when they started and after the first trimester, they were gone (thank goodness!).
    Good luck to you!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

When pregnant with DD, I had bad morning sickness from right around 5 weeks until it abruptly ended at 9 weeks on the dot.  By "bad", I mean throwing up multiple times a day, didn't matter what time of day it was.  Then I literally woke up the day I turned 9 weeks and it was gone without a trace.  It never returned.

This time, I started getting really sick at 5 weeksish again, and it was really bad, worse than the first time.  I couldn't eat more than like 3 bites of food without vomiting.  I had to tell my assistant at work so that she could run interference for me if I suddenly closed my door to throw up in my trash can.  Then at 8 weeks, it got A LOT better, no puking for about 10 days.  It returned, more mildly (not much throwing up, but still nauseous) until it finally passed around 13 weeks.

Good luck, I hope you're one of the lucky ones who avoids the sickness.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

RHM - that's how it is for me...as soon as I turn my alarm off, I feel the wave!  But as soon as I get food in my stomach it abates...a bit!  Oddly, milk/yogurt/cottage cheese are the first things I go for - I think it's the protein that helps.

Thanks, everyone, for your responses! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I was nauseous from weeks 5 to 10/11.  I would eat something at home, but the nausea would start on my way to work and wouldn't go away until dinner.  After dinner I was usually fine.
    One piece of advice I have is DON'T FIGHT IT!  At first, I didn't really want to eat because I wasn't hungry and I didn't want to gain weight.  It wasn't necessarily a conscious thing, but eventually I had to figure that out and STOP because I was only hurting myself.
    I only almost got sick twice, so I think I was lucky.  I would gag every time I brushed my teeth, but that went away too - a little bit after the nausea went away.  I was surprised!
    Recently I have felt some nausea again (at 23 weeks), but it seems to be car sickness.  Oh joy!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from betty7. Show betty7's posts

My nausea started around week 6 or 7 and lasted until week 14 or 15, but didn't turn off like a switch, just gradually improved.  An empty stomach made it way worse and it also got worse and was unbearable in the evenings.  I'm not a puker, never have been, but sometimes wished that I could because the nausea was so bad.  The only foods I could stomach were bread, fruit, yogurt and cheese. Pizza and applesauce were particularly helpful. I think I ate pizza 5-6 times a week for those 2 months.  Good luck to all of you in the first trimester, you'll get through it!  I'm 36 weeks now and it feels like it went so fast! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My mom had m/s that lasted the whole day almost her entire pregnancy with occassional vomiting.   My cousin ended up in the hospital for severe dehydration from vomiting so much, and I'm fairly certain it was in her second trimester.  She had such a terrible experience overall she changed her mind about wanting 3 kids and stuck with one (it's been 9 years so I guess she was serious).  I think it runs in families.  What was your mom's experience like?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Good question, Kar...I haven't asked my mom yet.  We haven't told our parents, so I'll ask when we break the news, I suppose! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Try not to put too much weight on what your mum had.  My (maternal) grandmother had ms for the first trimester of her two pregnancies, my mom had it severely for 9 months with my sister but none with me.  My sister had it early on for her first, not at all for her second and for about 6 months of her third!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

I'm with Prill, here, I don't think it's hereditary, at least not in my family (unfortunately).  My mom had NO morning sickness at all, just very mild food aversions in either of her pregnancies.  I had horrendous morning sickness both times, and also had it pretty bad with the baby I miscarried (no puking that time, though, just gagging).  I had had people say it's hereditary, so I thought I wouldn't get it...I was horribly disappointed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My grandmother, mother, cousin and I all had terrible nausea and vomiting.  BUT, interestingly enough, the Mayo Clinic sites migraines, which do run in my family, as a risk factor for morning sickness.  So, that explains why all the women in my family get m/s really bad even if m/s isn't hereditary, per se.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

Like am, my mom had no m/s with me and only one or two very mild food aversions.  I wish it was hereditary, because I would have had a much easier first tri!  :)

Kar, that's very interesting about migraines being a risk factor for m/s; I never heard that before.  I used to get terrible migraines, so I wonder if that had anything to do with it.  Do you happen to have a link to that study/article?  I'd love to read it!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, Pugs, both sides of my familly get migraines...I had no chance of escaping!

Mayo Clinic M/S Article (Risk Factors are on page 5 or so)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

that was the big comment I get from my family all the time "you are nothing like your mom".  apparently my mom was sick with all 3 of us and for me she was sick the entire 9 months and my sister about 6 months to the point she overall lost weight with my sister. 

Me, nothing, and believe me I'm not losing weight, I'm at the tippity top of where I should be.. haha!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

7 weeks today and still not one twinge of MS.  I know I shouldn't complain, but some days I just wish I would feel it so I would actually feel pregnant!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Wed, I know it won't make you feel much better, but when I was in my queasy period, SO many mothers told me they didn't have any nausea during their pregnancies.  That sure as heck didn't make me feel any better :o)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Wed - I really hate to admit my luck on these boards since women have a hard time with both conceiving and morning sickness, but mine has been so minimal and I'm so grateful.  All of a sudden, my mild nausea is nearly non-existent (at 8 weeks*).  I'm peeing every half hour and can't sleep through the night anymore without having to get up, but otherwise, after breakfast, I'm ready for the day and am just fine.  I am hoping it stays this way and doesn't come back with a vengeance!  I think some women are just lucky.  My two coworkers who have been pregnant had no morning sickness symptoms at all. 

*even though in my mind I am 9 weeks based on LMP!  So I'd say I had a bit of nausea from the first day of the sixth week (aka 5 weeks) to the first day of the ninth week (aka 8 weeks). 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LLTyrrell. Show LLTyrrell's posts

I had pretty bad morning sickness until mid way through my 2nd trimester... it involved me getting sick in the morning and then periodically through out the day until bed time. It had subsided until just recently (I am about 34 1/2 weeks in). I didn't know if it was a pre-cursor to l&d or if it is just another random flare up of this particular pregnancy sympton. Did anyone else get morning sickness prior to l&d?