1st trimester massage

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecod1818. Show capecod1818's posts

1st trimester massage

Does anyone know if you should get a massage during the 1st trimester? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: 1st trimester massage

Because of the natural high risk for m/c during the first trimester, many massage therapists won't do it during that time simply because they don't want to be blamed (and sued) if it does happen.  The massage being completely unrelated to the m/c would not matter; they'd still have to go through the mess of being sued wrongly, and who wants to deal with that?

Here's an article about it being safe throughout pregnancy from American Pregnancy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

I was wondering this too.  I had a hot stone massage at week 7 and called my doctor first.  The nurse who called me back said that as long as they didn't put the stones on or near the belly, and that they took the temp down a bit, it should be fine.  The girl I went to also does pregancy massage (though this was not specifically a pregnancy massage), and said she couldn't do a lot to my feet because certain reflexology points can trigger the uterus to contract.  Actually, when people are past their due date, they often go to reflexologists to help trigger contractions. 

I was not aware of this foot concern, and was hoping to get DH to rub my feet, but now I'm scared.  The massage therapist did a little light rubbing, but said to stay away from pressure points on the feet. 

Bottom line is that there are conflicting reports as to what is safe, and your best bet is probably to call your doctor.  I have another massage appt during my 12th week, but will be seeing my doctor before then, and can cancel if advised. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I wouldn't worry about foot massages. Orgasms also make your uterus contract, and you're not going to give those up for 9 months. Unless you have trouble with your pregnancy, get all the rubbing you can now. God knows you won't be getting rubbed much once you have the baby.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecod1818. Show capecod1818's posts

Thanks for the advice guys.  I actually called this spa that we are staying at next weekend and they said that they won't do prenatal massages on someone who is in the 1st trimester.  I think it would be to cover them in case something happened.  Oh well.  Has anyone heard if getting a facial is ok?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, a facial is fine. It's actually fine to get a 1st trimester massage, but the incidence of m/c is so high during that time for completely unrelated reasons no therapist wants to risk the appearance of a connection.

What about a car accident on the way to the facial?  That could happen.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Cape - facial should be fine, so as long retinol or AHA/DHA products are used.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

Cape, make sure you tell the esthetician that your pregnant.  Not all but most facials include the use of a high frequency wand for after the extraction and she/he shouldn't use that on you.  Also as mentioned by Prill, you shouldn't use anything with Retinol or any peels (lactic and glycolic are the most common).  You can still have an amazing and relaxing facial without these things.  Ask for extra massage time on your shoulders and hands! :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Reputable spas will have you fill out paperwork in advance of a facial or massage.  The same paperwork explains that htey will not perform massages or use certain products on you if you are pg, esp if you are in the first trimester [after htat they will only do prenatal massages].  If your spa does not have these kinds of disclaimers / info on their websites or on the pre spa paperwork, it may be time to find a better spa.

I have encounted this paperwork at Elizabeth Grady [MA and NH], Elizabeth Arden [CT, NY and VA] and the Cliff House in Ogunquit, ME.  Even hotel spas will have this paperwork.

Sections
Shortcuts