Advice needed- BIDMC or MGH?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from olive79. Show olive79's posts

Advice needed- BIDMC or MGH?

Greetings- 

I am ten weeks pregnant and tring to chose an MD. My partner and I can't decide between delivering at MGH or Beth Israel. Do folks have any recommendations or thoughts? Would love to hear... 

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Re: Advice needed- BIDMC or MGH?

I delivered both of my sons at BI, the second just this past September. I also spent a week this past summer at BI on bedrest. I was very happy with the experiences I had at BI. The nurses (with whom you will be interacting the most) are incredible. I can't speak highly enough about both my L&D nurses and the post-partum nurses. They are great--caring, supportive, responsive to your needs, etc. The food's not bad there, either!

I didn't particularly like the lactation consultant I met with when DS#1 was born. She brushed off our concern about a tongue-tie (which was noticed by one of those awesome nurses.) Well, when we saw an LC at Isis a week later, the first thing she said was, "Your son clearly has a tongue-tie." That is the only negative thing I can say about my experience.

Good luck making a decision. I think that you'll get great care at either hospital, so you should really go with the doctor you feel most comfortable with. Labor, delivery, and recovery (if they're uncomplicated) go pretty fast in the grand scheme of things. Pregnancy is much longer, and you'll be spending lots of time at your doctor's office. So, you should be most concerned about liking your doctor and their practice, imo.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

I agree with kiwigal about finding the right doctor and office because they are the ones who talk to you about all your concerns etc.. throughout pregnancy.

I am currently going to MGH with my second pregnancy and delivered my first at MGH and I really like it.  I loved my ob there and found all the nurses and people great.  It's a pain to go in and out of Boston but I had a great experience and chose to go back again.

The nurses in labor and delivery were incredible.  We had this one nurse who was with us for most of it and she was totally incredible.  She was with us through our c-section and so wonderful.  We also had great nurses in the maternity ward as well.  They weren't too intrusive and were so helpful with questions.  One LC we had come in we did not love but the other one was fantastic.  She was so helpful and really made me feel good about what I was doing even though DS wasn't always latching.  Because our pediatrician did not travel into Boston I also can't say enough of the pediatrician we did have.  He was so friendly and was really helpful with all of our questions.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from olive79. Show olive79's posts

Thanks! These are very helpful replies. Sounds like I really can't go wrong with either. And I especially appreciate your point that it is the Dr you see for nine months that really matters. We live in Cambridge and don't have a car, so convenience of office visits was our starting place- but i suppose i should determine where I feel most comfortable!

Thanks again!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I agree with the others - your doctor and the convenience of the doctor's location are probably more important. 
    I delivered at BIDMC and have absolutely no complaints.  (This thread just reminded me that I never sent that thank you note to the nurses.  They were incredible.)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

I highly recommend Beth Israel.  I've had two great experiences delivering there, and their NICU is extraordinary.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

If it's convenient and you're not wedded to your two choices, you might want to check out Mount Auburn. I saw the midwives there and they were so supportive and strong and inspiring, and the Birth Center is beautiful and well-equipped. It's a wonderful place to have a baby. And the food is awesome.

http://www.mamah.org/

If you go to a "Meet the Midwives" session you can hear about birth as a feminist act and watch a moving slideshow. They give you snacks and take you on a tour of the maternity ward.
    http://www.mamah.org/meetthemidwives.html

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from culhasa. Show culhasa's posts

MGH was great - both my sons were born there.  Good luck!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

I don't think you can go wrong with either.  I delivered at MGH and had a great experience.  The nurses were all wonderful.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from olive79. Show olive79's posts

Thanks, everyone! 

We had our first visit at MGH on friday and decided against it. I am sure, from the comments above and from how great the doctor was, we would have had a great experience there- but in the end, MGH felt very overwhelming. We waited for an hour before we saw a nurse and then waited again for 40 minutes for an examination room to open up. Still, the staff and the Dr. were great so it was a tough choice.

I think a smaller practice will be a better fit-- and we've heard such great things about Beth Israel.

Thanks again!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

One other perk of BI, if you're into this sort of thing, is that each baby born there gets a certificate for a free tour of Fenway Park once they reach a certain age (I can't remember if it's 5 or 7) because BIDMC is the official hospital of the Red Sox. My sports fan DH and I thought that was pretty cool.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

One note about BIDMC, if it's important to you at all, is that they do not have a midwifery practice there.  That was really important to me and one reason I took them off of my list. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Olive - so sorry you had a long wait at MGH.  I had my twins there and that never happened.  I loved my OB and the labor and delivery nurses.  I will say there was one LC I didn't like post partum - but everyone else was great.
    I have a friend who calls BI "the baby factory" and switched after having her first there.  I've never been, so can't comment.
    Good luck with whatever decision you make.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from marriedmom. Show marriedmom's posts

I am on my third MGH pregnancy. I stay there b/c the doctors, nurses and midwives are beyond competent (IMO), and b/c I am *slightly* high-risk and if I ever have to re-do the NICU thing, I want to do it there again.

That said, the long waits (again, in my experience) are a major part of the Vincent OB experience. They have made one improvement since my last pregnancy though, as they now have a board that posts wait times, so at least you can go take a walk or something instead of sitting in the waiting room for an hour.

Incidentally, I've seen a different practioner for each pregnancy (midwife for #1, high-risk MFM for #2, and regular OB for #3), and I have liked them all.

Good luck finding the right place for you, and congratulations on your pregnancy!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

(I never had to wait at Mt Auburn)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sometimesIwonder. Show sometimesIwonder's posts

I can't say enough about MGH - I was a super high risk pregnancy and had many emergency ultrasounds and test - this is actually part of why the wait can be so long.  I never got upset about the wait b/c I was often one of those patients who caused someone else to wait.  I had several miscarraiges and a stillborn, and was also a very high anxious mom - they never made me fee like I was a nut b/c I need reassurance that my babies were okay.

At several routine exams they had problems finding a heartbeat or when the baby was not responding properly to the non stress test - each time I was rushed to ultrasound - and of course the doctor would have to come.  So I would say that is one of the reasons that waits can get a tad log. 

I was a patient of MGH through some of the best times of my life and at the worst point in my life - and I can say that throughout they have been the kindest, most supportive health and mental health providers I  have ever seen.

As a patient, you have access to nutritionists throughout your pregnancy, and you have access to social workers and mental health providers as well - all in one office. 

I travelled 40 miles to be an MGH patient - and I've never seen it as an inconvenience - I consider myself lucky that I have such a great facility and such amazing health care providers so close. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from olive79. Show olive79's posts

Dear SometimesIWonder, 

I am so sorry to hear about your miscarriages and stillborn child. I can't imagine how horrible that must have been, but am so glad that you found in MGH a supportive community, and that you're doing wonderfully now.

Yes, I expect, with MGH being essentially the world's best hospital, many of the patients are high risk and that accounts for the long waits and hectic feel. I understand completely. But since, for now, I am not high risk (knock on wood, of course) and my partner's hours are very restricted, we thought we'd try our luck with a smaller practice.

This forum has been so helpful, though, as I now know that MGH is an excellent environment for so many. Hopefully we won't have to change plans for this pregnancy, but it's wonderful to know that such an excellent institution exists just a few T stops away for our next or for any complications.

Thanks a million, fellow posters, for all of your thoughts and advice. I feel quite comforted to know such good options are available in my new city.

- Olive

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Olive, in the end, it's your experience, so all that we have to say isn't worth much.  Good luck finding an OB you connect with...that's the most important part!