Am I too old for a baby shower??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from roneil68. Show roneil68's posts

Am I too old for a baby shower??

This is not my first baby, I have a 13 and 10 year old and we thought we were done.  Surprise!  I will be 42 when the baby is born in June and I have NOTHING left from my children's baby years except a boppy pillow and a Baby Bjorn.  I feel embarressed even discussing a baby shower but people keep asking me if I am having one and I answer "um...I don't know...do we really want to encourage my irresponsible behavior (haha)."  My husband is firmly against it ("we are of the age where we should be helping other people, not accepting things from others").  I am thinking I'll just scope out the consignment shops and pick up things as I see them?  Any advice on new gadgets welcome!! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Re: Am I too old for a baby shower??

I don't think you're too old.  If people want to throw you a shower, you should let them.  I've known plenty of people who have showers for "oops babies."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

And one more thing...even if you did have things from when your other two were younger, it doesn't necessarily mean that you should use them.  Things like cribs and car seats and high chairs and strollers etc. may have had recalls or the safety standards may have changed.  Car seats, for example, "expire" after 5 years and shouldn't be used.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

I don't think you are too old either.  People love to buy things for babies.  Your other children are old enough that if you had stuff it will be out of date and there have been so many safety changes that things should be replaced.  If your husband is against it then get the big stuff yourself and have a small "sprinkle" instead of a shower thrown by family or friends.  I have a friend who is in a similar situation (pregnant with a teenager) and she is having a shower.  Her family is throwing it.  She didn't really have a say in the matter.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

If there are people amongst your friends and family who want to give you a shower,  then  that answers your question.  Graciously say, thank you.  If not, then they probably think that at this point you are well enough established to get things yourself.   You and the baby will still receive baby gifts, even if not an organized shower.

The caution others gave is true - be wary of cribs, playpens etc more than a couple of years old, checking for any safety changes.

With many people having small families these days,  it is easy to find fairly new, lightly used items still within  new safety standards, you just need to be careful.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

If you're having a baby, you are not too old.  Traditionally, yes, showers are for first babies, but it's more and more common for loved ones to "shower" a mom-to-be when there's a later in life baby after the other sibs are older. 

The mom-to-be isn't the one to throw the shower, though, so I think you're off the hook in terms of "deciding."  If your friends or family ask, I'd simply say: I'm not aware of any showers being planned, and leave it at that. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

I was just thinking about this, as I am 39, possibly pregnant, with a 7 and 9 year old.  I kind of agree with your husband's comment.  But, if a close friend or family member wants to surprise you with a small shower, particularly where your kids are older, that's their decision, and I imagine that the people that attend would be happy about it.  I wouldn't feel comfortable registering for anything.

I don't really understand why people would be asking you if you are having one though.  It annoys me that so many women plan their bridal and baby showers these days.  I once heard someone say in regards to a second shower, that every baby deserves a shower "in their honor".  It's not really for the baby, it's to help out the parents. I've heard others say, "well, I couldn't possibly afford a double stroller, etc. myself."  Well, then maybe they shouldn't be having another baby yet.  lol

Anyway, I see tons of great deals on baby things at TJ Maxx.  I recent got my sister a $150 swing there, on clearance for $29!!  

Good luck!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

If someone offers to throw you a shower, then by all means say yes.  But as someone else pointed out, it's not up to you since you can't throw one for yourself.
    Don't know if you live near Natick, but Kids to Kids has "gently used" stuff that's great.  Also - BabiesRus was having a great sale the other day - they seem to be having them quite a lot these days.
    And Burlington Coat Factory in Natick has a baby stuff department - I think it's called Baby Depot - good prices there too.
    Good luck!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Wow, the thought never even crossed my mind that one could be too old to have a shower!  I'm 32 and DH is 42 and we're expecting our first.  I was also resistent to the idea of a shower, because I never want people to go out of their way for me - not because I think I'm too old.  Clearly even at 32, I'm also established and not really *needing* gifts.  A good friend convinced me to let her throw a shower in my honor.  I have a small group of friends and it'll mainly be them.  I'm excited about the shower, but mostly to see my friends that live far away.  I guess my point is that if someone wants to throw you a shower, why not let them?  I'd ask the guest list be kept to close friends and family, as not to appear like you're just asking for gifts from everyone you know though :)

MissLily - thanks for the tips about the Natick shops!  I live near Natick and will def. check out those you mentioned!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from roneil68. Show roneil68's posts

Thank you all so much for your input and advice!  I wouldn't dream of planning anything for myself.  My wedding shower and first baby shower were total surprises (and of course I showed up to both looking like something the cat dragged in).  Good luck to MichelleandtheBoys, please let us know how everything turns out!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

No, of course you're not "too old" for a shower.  I would definitely have a small, intimate shower if a friend of mine was in your condition (but I'd probably have to talk her down from the ledge first). 

Best of luck!

Sections
Shortcuts