Any VBAC or RCS folks out there?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Re: Any VBAC or RCS folks out there?

In Response to Re: Any VBAC or RCS folks out there?:
    [QUOTE]Poppy - Maybe they can't do both unless they plan it that way?  My memory is a little hazy, but I believe the epi is almost like a catheter in that they insert a tube and that is what stays in your back throughout the labor?  So I think through that same tube they administered the spinal and then switched to the usual epi drugs.  And maybe my epi was going deeper than where it usually would based on what some others have mentioned.  Sorry, I'm probably not being very helpful!
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

My memory is a little fuzzy on this as well, but I think this is what happens. When you get an epidural, they also inject a spinal block into the catheter that helps manage the pain until the epi has time to kick in. (This would be different than the spinal used for a c/section). The spinal block only lasts about 45 minutes. I know this ALL too well, as my spinal block wore off just as DS #2 was crowning and the epi meds were not quite right for me, so I felt pretty much everything during delivery. Luckily he made his way out in about 9 minutes!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kac320. Show kac320's posts

Yes- they cant put a spinal and an EPI in... it is one or the other. Not too sure why but it has something to do with placement.  You will not feel anything with a spinal- if you do they can increase the meds and they kick in immediately. It is my understanding that with an EPI it takes longer to kick in ( as in the C-section may be over by the time it kicks in!). The anestheseologist (way off on that sp!) will be by your head so you just let them know what you are feeling and they will adjust accordingly.

It is defintely a different birth experience with c-sections but at the end of it all you will have a baby :-) I was pretty sure I wanted a vbac the 2nd time around and my OB was on board with that. We had an understanding that if things progressed the way that they should then I can labor and deliver. He did make sure that I understood that if you are to labor unsuccessfully the recovery is worse as is the risk for infection. I got an infection with my first c-section and it was horrible. With the 2nd there was an anti-septic that I used the night before and the day of. I am glad that I went with the scheduled c-section because my recovery wasnt bad (actually went home early!) and we could really plan. Do I sometimes miss that I didnt get that "I'm in labor " moment, sure  but I also have great pics of me in the bed and my husband in his scrubs waiting for the nurse to come and get us for the surgery.

One last thought, with my first c-section I had staples. With my 2nd I had one running stitch, I also think that made a huge difference in recovery. The staples were not fun at all. Also- 2nd time around I used a belly band and what a help that was. They had it in the hospital and you just wear it around your midsection and it provides great support! I kinda wish I could still wear it... 9 months out :-) Because it also makes you feel slim!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

That sounds right, kiwi.  I think what I had was a spinal block.  Sorry about that everyone!  They just called it a spinal, but it makes sense that it would be different from what you get for a c section.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

I eventually had an epidural in labor with DS after thinking originally I wouldn't want anything.  Unfortunately, the epidural didn't work and only numbed one half of me and to get it to work on the other half, I had to be in a position that continuously put DS in distress - probably resting on the chord.  So, they ended up giving me a spinal which made pushing pretty tough (they probably knew it would end up a CS at that point anyway), but when I ended up with the emergency c-section, I didn't feel anything, so the spinal definitely did work.  I may be hallucinating on this one and totally not describing this in the right medical terms, but I thought my back was "set up" for both the epidural and the spinal just in case it was a c-section after all and they had to do the spinal.  But I could be completely making that up.  With the repeat, non-emergency CS, I didn't feel anything waist down with the spinal. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Sorry, I didn't mean to introduce so much confusion!  I was just curious because I'm nervous about it all the second time around.  But as many of you have mentioned, at least I'm more knowledgable now and can ask more specific questions and relate my prior experience.

KAM - so sorry to hear about your experience!  If I had to have general I know it wouldn't be the end of the world.  I just didn't want to deal with it right in that moment the first time.  We'll see what happens next time.

Fram and Kiwi - What do you mean your memory of childbirth (labor/ major surgery) is hazy???  :)  It's true what they say about how you don't really remember the details of it all.  Thank GOD.

MM - same thing happened with me, which is maybe why I could feel some of the surgery.  Epi left a whole section of me untouched and I could feel all the labor pains, even though they kept upping it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

I'm in the same boat as many of you...deciding what to do with delivery 2.  I was thinking vbac because of the recovery and I want to be able to hold DS and play with him.  I already think he is going to have a really hard time with this as it is because he is such a mama's boy but I could be wrong of course who knows until it is here right.

I labored for some time the first time but never got to pushing.  I was also induced so to be honest it was awful.  I know they won't induce me again so I am thinking of going vbac but after reading some of your stories I am not totally sure.  The extra time in the hospital was nice though we did leave a day early and although my toddler is tiring I don't want to be away from him for too long wither.

Decisions, decisions!  Glad I still have some time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

re: spinal and epidural.  The epidural is *not* supposed to enter the actual spinal fluid, whereas a spinal block does.  I remember this because I had an unusual situation where the person placing the epidural nicked the spinal fluid and didn't know.  I had the resulting "spinal headache", which is super rotten but not dangerous at all (and they can fix it).  Usually the spinal headache only happens with a spinal, not an epidural.

Anyway, I googled to try to find back up for my hazy recollections, and I found this article, which has links to more info about each type, AND it also talks about the combo spinal/epidural that some of you mentioned.
    http://www.babycenter.com/pain-medication-for-labor

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Thanks, Medford, for the info.  "Spinal headache"... sounds fun!  Sorry you had to deal with that.  One more thing to look forward to...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

In Response to Re: Any VBAC or RCS folks out there?:
    [QUOTE]Thanks, Medford, for the info.  "Spinal headache"... sounds fun!  Sorry you had to deal with that.  One more thing to look forward to...
    Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]
    Ack, wait!  I should clarify.  Having the spinal block does NOT mean you definitely will get a spinal headache.  It's just something that *can* occur with the spinal block since they puncture into the fluid.
    I just mentioned the spinal headache because it was the weird way I remembered what was different about an epidural.  They don't usually occur with epidurals, except if they make a mistake, as in my case.
    I just looked it up and it's only 1 in 100 chance with a spinal block.
    Plus, if they diagnose it they can fix it.  So don't worry.  :)

Sections
Shortcuts