April 2013 Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Re: April 2013 Pregnancy

Just wanted to check in and make sure everyone is okay. I was off yesterday and pretty much glued to the tv in the afternoon. It's just so hard to imagine that someone can take something so innocent and turn it into such a tragedy. My prayers are with everyone who is effected.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Hi Chiclet, you are right.  I was actually glad that because I had DD with me, I couldn't stick with that much coverage on the TV or internet.  Today I went to visit my MIL in the ICU (she is probably okay...) and I made her switch to HGTV because she was really obsessing and wasn't able to rest.  It's hard to turn away when the TV keeps saying "breaking news", but really there was almost no actual breaking news.

On a lighter note, I laughed at your previous post and the idea of your water breaking at work and there being chaos!  Anyway.  How far do you have to drive from work back to your house?  And is your DH relatively near by?  Truth is, I think it would be pretty unlikely that you'd need an ambulance.  I think the more likely scenario is that you'll be thinking: "am I having contractions now?  Maybe I'll gather my stuff and go work from home..."  and/or "I think I'm having contractions... I'll call DH to come get me."

Obviously everyone is different and some people have very quick labors and/or big water breaks.  But especially for the first baby, it's not that likely.  With DD, I had contractions off and on for about 24 hours (and then they would go away) before I had a small water break, and then it was another 12 hours before contractions came that never went away again.  I could have definitely driven myself home anytime in that 36 hour window with no problem.  That said, I do think I worked from home once my due date passed, and it was (maybe) better for my peace of mind.  Although frankly, kind of annoying to be sitting at home waiting!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I was going to say the same thing, med, about movie-ish water breakage and ensuing chaos - it doesn't really happen that way very often. :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

chiclet, it's true everyone has different experiences with labor but I think I remember from my labor and delivery class the statistic that < 2% of women have their water break on the onset of labor. I personally labored for over 24 hours before having my water break with BOTH my labors. 

Also, I went into labor at work the first time and went into labor in the morning and still went to work with the second (it was final exams.  I wanted to make sure I had the exams so I could grade them.  I just lied when people asked if I was going to make it to my due date).  You probably won't even be sure you're in labor for a few hours (it takes some repetive, increasingly intense contractions before you're sure).  FYI, you might have a "clue" of gastrointestinal "excitement" prior to labor's onset.  Lots of people do.  It's gross, but true.  If you start to catch yourself wondering if you ate something weird, you might be in labor.

I'm rambling.  sorry.  Anyway, my point is, don't stress too much about going into labor at work.  Your boss is right, though.  Take your laptop with you all the time and don't leave in the evening without setting up for the next day as if you won't be there. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Also, if you're standing up and your water breaks, you just get an awkward trickle because the baby's head blocks your cervix.  I was lying down when my water broke the first time and THAT gushed.  It was incredible haha.  The second time it was just awkward and gross for about an hour.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Thanks for the advice. I always figured I'd go into labor (or figure out I was in labor maybe?) at home where it's nice and quiet. I just wasn't sure if I'd be able to drive myself home if I do start having contractions at work. I work about a half hour away from home. DH works about an hour away from me (about 45 minutes from home but in the other direction). My coworkers are just worriers I think. But I do know that if I have the slightest twinge at work, it will be movie-style chaos. Nearly everyone I work with is a parent, but I don't see any of them keeping their composure! They all think it could literally be any second. The baby has barely even dropped.

I also have a theory that he's not coming until I send out all of my thank you cards from the shower! Yeah, two months later, I'm still writing them!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

My water broke with DD while I was on the toilet! I agree that you wind up with a lot more "activity" in your bladder/bowels as you get further into labor. I think all the pressure squeezes everything out. Embarassed

But I think you'd be OK to drive home in early labor - I had contractions that were 20-30 minutes apart at the begining, and they stopped for over an hour when I ate lunch, plus that early they only lasted a short time. I wasn't even 100% sure they were contractions until later, when it was obvious I was in labor.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Lissa, I still am amazed that you went to work when you were in labor, even though I remember you telling us before!  "Oh, I'm in labor.  I'll just go oversee some final exams!"  Even the second time around, I wouldn't be that calm!

Anyway... Chiclet, my plan would be to leave things orderly, and if you find yourself wondering if you're having contractions, pack up and go work from home.  If you really feel like you can't drive the half hour, call DH and have him come get you right away.  It might not be a *happy* wait for an hour, but you would be okay.  Also, this might sound weird, but if you felt like it would be too much workplace drama to be waiting there for an hour, make like everything's fine, pack up and leave, but just drive down the street a bit to a designated meeting spot where DH can pick you up.  (I have a lot of experience with meeting spots because my DH and I met at work but kept it under wraps for a long time, so we would meet nearby if we wanted to go someplace after work!)

Oh, and I have an induction scheduled for next Thursday.  Crazy!  I will be 39 weeks on Saturday and I'm still kind of hoping something will happen spontaneously before the induction (and I do feel like I'm getting close...), but it's also nice in a way because my big worry has been that we'd have to leave while DD was in daycare or asleep and that she would be upset because she wouldn't have been told beforehand.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

Anyone have any advice for easing sciatica pain? I'm 38 weeks tomorrow, and I developed horrible sciatica pain on Sunday. I'm going to mention it at my midwife appt tomorrow. I also have a massage scheduled for Monday, but I'm thinking about trying a chiropractor or acupunture of something before then -- I can hardly walk!

Med -- wow, so you will have a baby by next Thursday/Friday! How exciting.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sitting on a stability ball instead of any type of immovable chair can help.  Inflate one such that when you sit on it your thighs are parallel to the floor.  Of course, do not do this if you feel there is any chance you could fall off, obviously!  I find them very easy to sit on, but I'm not 38 weeks pg, either, lol.

best wishes, med, congrats on getting a date!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JM122. Show JM122's posts

I have been following along here and have found people's experiences and insights sooooo helpful for my first-time go at this (25.5 weeks along now). Actually, I started reading the forum for help when I had an awful sciatica episode about a month ago! I am glad to say I had a positive outcome. For me, it started as a gentle pinching/discomfort around the big blizzard, so I was convinced I had done it with my light shoveling. However, the pain hit me HARD a couple of weeks later, to the point where I was limping awfully, then couldn't even move for the full weekend. Hot water bottle, sitting on a tennis ball - nothing was helping. Even shifting positions on the couch brought tears to my eyes. Everything I read said I'd need to manage the pain for up to 12 weeks! That's three full months... so I took the advice of a trusted colleague of my husband's, who recommended an acupuncturist. I was desperate for relief, both because of the pain, and because I was leaving the next day on my final vacation before the baby comes. I went with an open mind, and the acupuncturist (with about 30 years of experience) immediately recognized my description of the pain, and had me lie down for one session. He put about 8 pins in my upper thigh/buttock/lower back. One of them actually hurt a bit, and I wondered what I'd gotten myself into. But he assured me that he'd found the "blocked nerve" and the discomfort was normal. I left the appt. limping, in no better shape, a little bitter it hadn't worked! Until the next day... and there was only a faint sense of where I had been in excruciating pain. I was able to walk perfectly fine (though nervous!) all through the airports and ever since then. I called my OB's office to ask them to spread the word for other expectant women, since I felt like it was nothing short of a miracle. It may not be the same result for everyone, but I would certainly recommend giving it a shot if you are open-minded. It cost me $70 (not covered by insurance), and worth every cent. Fortunately, it's the worst symptom I have experienced so far in the pregnancy (knock on wood)!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

JL - My sciatic nerve was bothering me a lot this weekend. I've had problems with it in the past and I found stretching is the best help. I also added an additional pillow between my knees while sleeping and I think that was the biggest help. I feel like the pain goes away just as easily as it comes. I've also read that ice is best for pregnancy-related sciatic pain but I didn't find any relief with that. 

Med - It's so exciting that you have a date. I hope you have some action before that, but at least you know you have an expiration date, so to speak! Woo!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

We're going to have lots of new babies on here soon!

JL, your massage should help your sciatica pain, but you can also lay on your side and have your DH use a soft fist to do some rhythmic compressions in that area. Sciatica pain happens when your piriformis muscle (shaped like a slice of pizza from your sacrum to about the side of your leg) gets tight and compresses the nerve. You can tell it's neural pain because it may be sharp and tingly from the muscle site, down your leg (nerve pain always goes from the site AWAY from the body, or out the limbs). If you're experiencing something different there may be a different problem. Anyway, tell your massage therapist to work on your piriformis (and if they don't know what that is...find a new one :)

Chiclet, I hope you awake from a refreshing sleep to be met with a gentle labor with your DH there next to you!!

I'm 13 weeks tomorrow and have a u/s tomorrow for the down syndrome screening...the SST test. I'm low risk so I hope it's okay and we get nice pictures of the baby.

My SIL'S due date is next Thurs and she's sooo uncomfortable so I hope her baby comes soon! She says her swelling is so bad she can hardly stand. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Well DS was born Sunday 4/14 at 12:57pm, weighing 7 pounds, 2 ounces. I was induced on Saturday because of the high blood pressure. They started me on Pitocin and I was at 1cm in the morning and spent the whole day with just really strong Braxton Hicks contractions. I was still just 1cm by 9pm, which was disappointing. They decided to give me a break overnight to get some rest, so stopped the Pitocin and gave me a sleeping pill. They also decided to do the cervical ripening overnight to see if it would have any effect. I was able to sleep really well and when the nurse came in at 6am, she couldn't believe I was sleeping through the contractions showing up on the monitor! So the cervical ripening definitely helped and now the contractions felt like real contractions to me. Then they started the Pitocin back up. At 11am I was laying on the bed with DH rubbing my back and felt a huge pop and gush. My water actually broke the way they show in the movies! I immediately started crying because now I knew it was really happening. The contractions instantly were super strong and they checked me and I was 5cm. Within 15 minutes I could barely stand the pain and started asking for an epidural. I actually did my previous labor drug free, but I wasn't induced and my water didn't break. This was much more intense. Well I had to wait to get the bag of IV fluids and they had to try about 3 times to do the epidural since I was having very strong contractions. It was pretty bad to try to have to sit still. By the time that was done I started feeling pressure and they checked and I was 8cm. The next contraction I was literally begging to push and they checked me again and I was 10cm. The nurse told me I could push and ran to find the midwife. Well the midwife and doctor were both with other moms about to deliver so the nurse came running back in with about 4 other nurses telling me not to push yet. There was no way I could wait, and at the next push the 4 nurses delivered the baby with an ER doctor running in at the last minute. It was a very intense 2 hours and I only think it was like that because of the combination of Pitocin, my water breaking, and this being my second time. The epidural never worked at all because it all happened so fast. DS is doing great and is a great eater. I have had a pretty major complication (spinal headache) that has been hard to deal with, but I am going to start a separate post on that. I also have to start a post about how to get DS to sleep somewhere other than the swing! Oh, and big sister is doing great so far. I am really proud of her. Good luck to everyone else in the coming weeks!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

CONGRATS, Memes!!  Hoping your spinal headache is subsiding and you are able to enjoy DS.  Best wishes!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Cogratulations, Memes!  The pitocin contractions are so much more intense than non-induced ones.  Sorry about the spinal headache, ugh.  It's great he's eating well.  I vote to leave him in the swing if he's sleeping.  You can cross the bridge of getting him to sleep other places once you've had a bit of rest and at least don't have to worry about the headache anymore. 

Congratulations again! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

Congratulations, Memes!  That's wonderful news.  So glad you and baby and big sister are all doing well!

AFM, I had my 18 week ultrasound on Wednesday. Everything looks fine--right number of blood vessels in the cord, placenta in the right position, etc.  It's a relief because last time I had a marginal placenta previa, and while it did move, it lead to some unnecessary worrying.  Also, it looks like I'm having a boy!  I'm a little wistful because this is my last baby, so it means my DD won't ever get to have to a sister--but I suppose if it were a girl maybe I'd be wistful about never having a son! 

I'm also having sciatic nerve pain--I didn't know what it was, but that's what the midwife thinks.  Mine seems to come and go a lot--some days it's almost crippling, especially toward the end of the day, other days I'm fine. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Memes, CONGRATULATIONS!!!  What a great birthweight.  So sorry about the spinal headache and hopefully that will go away soon.  Enjoy your DS!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

Congrats, memes!

WPP, I hope your u/s went well last week.

Thistle, congrats on your little boy! How exciting. Sorry to hear about your sciatic nerve pain -- I hear you on it being crippling.

Thanks for the advice on dealing w/ the sciatic nerve pain, all. I ended up going to a pregnancy chiropractor for an adjustment on Friday, but it didn't help at all. I'm going back again today, and I have a massage tonight. If it still isn't better, I may try acupunture -- great that it worked for you, JM! I feel silly spending all this money on relieving pain at 38 weeks, knowing that it'll probably go away when the baby's born, but I can hardly walk.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Congrats, memes!! Glad everyone is happy and healthy. What's a spinal headache? It's from the epidural or pitocin and more intense than a tension headache?

JL, it's not silly to take care of your pain. It's a quality of life issue! Pain takes up a lot of energy and concentration. And happy mama = happy baby. Take care of yourself however you need to and don't feel guilty about it!

Thistle, that'll be so nice to have a boy and a girl! What will the age difference be?

My u/s was good on Thursday and the sonographer said everything looks great and she thinks I'm low risk for any Down's issues. We got some really great pictures too. I can't believe how different the baby looks now compared to the little sea monkey at 8 weeks!

I signed up for a natural childbirth class and will probably sign up for a newborn care and breastfeeding class when fall dates become available. I started looking at daycares a bit, mostly in my small town, but DH thinks that he'll be able to work from home a few days a week and we won't need daycare for the first year. That would be awesome if it's possible, but I'm not sure. My neighbor friend said our town daycares don't fill up too fast and we should we okay if we wait. We looked at the daycares available at DH's work, a local university, and they were more than our mortgage with really inconvenient times and flexibility. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Congrats to Memes! 

I'm sorry for all the sciatic pain everyone is dealing with. I hope everyone finds a solution that works for them.

WPP - a spinal headache is a side effect from the epidural - http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/spinal-headaches/DS00643

Also, I'm not sure what your DH does, but even tiny babies require a lot of attention, so unless he can work from home with lots of interruption, finding a daycare you are happy with, even as a backup, is probably a good idea. 

AFM, I'm at 36 weeks, and while I'm not ready to have this baby just yet, I am looking forward to being done. I am at the "MUST DO EVERYTHING!" but "have no energy!" stage right now, where I keep finding more things I want to do before baby, but have no energy to do it. I know that we are actually pretty set, I am just getting a little crazy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Yay, congratulations, Memes!!  Happy for you and your little family, and glad you're all doing pretty well.

I had the spinal headache with DD.  I couldn't take it any more after about a week and I got the blood patch.  Let me know if you have any questions - I'll look for your other thread but I didn't notice it before.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Congrats Memes! I hope your recovery starts to go better. I wasn't aware that spinal headaches could go on this long! 

WPP - Glad you got good results from your ultrasound!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

In response to Chiclet831's comment:

Congrats Memes! I hope your recovery starts to go better. I wasn't aware that spinal headaches could go on this long!

they can go on... and on... and on...  But it's rare.  :)  Rare for it to even occur with an epidural first of all, and then rarer (is that a word??) to not resolve within a day or two.  Treatable, though!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Congrats Memes!  So sorry about the spinal headache - I hope you get some relief soon.  I hope you are all doing well and glad that it sounds like your new little one is doing well.  As for the swing, my DD would sleep for 4 hour increments in that thing and I just let her do it.  I think we both needed that time of rest - so I just let it be.

Sorry for everyone dealing with sciatic pain.  I have no suggestions - just sympathy.  I've had a little bit, but nothing that extreme.  Plenty of other aches and pains, but I guess that comes with the territory.

thistle - congrats on finding out its a boy and glad that everything looks healthy.  I know what you mean about the gender thing.  I have a DD and I'm having another girl.  We are very likely only having 2 kids - so I was a bit bummed at first that I wouldn't get to have a boy, but now, I'm happy that we'll have 2 girls. 

med - I think you are scheduled to have your baby this week right?  Good luck and we'll be thinking of you!!

As for me, 31 weeks tomorrow.  Ultrasound and doctor appt went well last week, so I'm just trying to sit tight.  DH and I are getting into the "nervous phase" since our DD was born out of the blue at 33 weeks.  I think he and I (and my doctors) will feel much better once we pass that milestone and get to 34 weeks or so.

Sections
Shortcuts