April 2013 Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Re: April 2013 Pregnancy

Oh, the spinal headache sounds awful from that link. Hope you feel better soon, Memes. 

Hope you go full-term, ALS, and everyone's healthy!

Has anyone ever used a doula? I really want to. I contacted one to meet. I may need to bring DH around...originally, I was all about a home birth, but that made him nervous and we compromised on the midwifery program through Harvard Vanguard. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Whirled Peas: I used the HVMA midwives, and they were awesome.  I did a VBAC and Mary Baker delivered my DS at Newton Wellesley and she is amazing.  She's out of Wellesley, and I went to WR for my care, but she was on duty that day; I'd never met her before, but she was MW and doula in one.  I can't say enough good things about my experience with the practice and the midwives I've seen. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Thanks all.  The headache has finally subsided as of yesterday, which is a big relief.  I had never heard of it before either, but it is a complication of the epidural.  I was having a tough time functioning, so I hope I am in the clear now.  Med, I didn't do the other post since it seems to be better now and I am not desperate anymore.

And thanks for those of you who made me feel better about DS sleeping in the swing.  My DH thinks it is fine, but I am worried about creating bad habits so early and SIDS.  I will still probably start a separate post on the subject in I&T.  :)

It is so much harder dealing with no sleep when there is a toddler running around too.  Thank god that DH is still home from work and we have a lot of family around.  I am a little worried about how I am going to get through the days once DH goes back to work next week.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I read at mayo that 40% of women get those spinal headaches - you'd hope they'd warn you it could happen!  Well, at least it has subsided, that's great.  I get severe migraines, and I can only imagine having one having just brought a baby into the world, OMG.  So glad you are better!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Memes, so glad you're feeling better.  It's really the pits.  I'm sorry to hear you're struggling with sleep.  IMHO, in the newborn days you get sleep to happen in any way possible.

Kar, it's a little confusing - it's not 40% of women overall.  The 40% is of people who get spinal punctures (including spinal blocks).  But theoretically, an epidural should NOT be included in this group because it should not puncture the membrane around the spinal cord - it delivers the medication right outside that membrane.  So an ideally placed epidural would have zero risk of spinal headache.  But, sometimes (like with Memes and with my DD) they have trouble placing the epidural and they accidentally puncture the membrane.  Once they puncture the membrane accidentally (called a "wet tap"), then you're within the 40% risk group.  But because the accidental puncture is rare, the risk of a spinal headache with an epidural is really low, like 1%.  Also, if they do have this problem when placing an epidural, the anesthesiologist usually notices and then they can be aware of it.

Of course, in my case the anesthesiologist did NOT notice (and it didn't resolve on its own), which is why I have appointed myself poster woman for Spinal Headache Awareness.  ;)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

WPP -- I'm using a doula, and so far it's been a great experience (although I haven't given birth yet). She's met with us twice, the first to discuss our birth plan and the second to do a techniques session (acupressure points, massage techniques, using the birthing ball, etc.). She is also a massage therapist specializing in prenatal massage, so I've had two massages with her (I figured I should get used to her touching me!). I feel more confident going into a natural childbirth with two support people, and I think she and my DH will make a good team. I'll keep you posted on how the birth goes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Med, thanks for that clarification, that's very helpful.  I'm disappointed the mayo clinic worded it so poorly.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

Well, my DH and I were both sick all weekend.  Sickness + taking care of a toddler + pregnancy does not = a good time, but we're a lot better now.  And it's actually kind of a relief to be at work and have someone else taking care of my daughter!  I just hope she doesn't get sick now. 

How is everyone else doing?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Hi All!  I just have to tell someone besides DH - I got a BFP for #3 on Saturday!  Based on LMP baby center says 1/1/14 due date !  Super excited and nervous!!!  Just hoping that these next few weeks go well! 

Hope EOE is well!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Ahh, congrats Trouble!! New Year's baby for you! ;) Sticky thoughts for you!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats, Trouble!  I figured out what you were actually saying in ttc and asked, by the way. :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Yeah Trouble!!  Sticky best wishes!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Congrats, Trouble!  Be well!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

Congrats, Trouble! Sending you sticky vibes.

Thistle, glad you're feeling better.

AFM, I'm due on Thursday! My last day of work is tomorrow, due to sciatica pain and the new addition of carpal tunnel. Last week, I spoke too soon about how great my doula is -- she cancelled on us! Apparently she had some sort of nervous breakdown. The doula group we used set us up with another, more experienced doula who is studying to become a midwife. I feel comfortable with her, but I was SO upset at the time.

Med and Chiclet, are you two still around? I think you were both due late last week/over the weekend ... thinking of you!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

OMG, Trouble! Congrats!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

Congratulations, Trouble!

Jleighla, good luck this week!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Congratulations memes on your new LO! I'm glad the headache abated.  I've heard about a few of those spinal headaches lately.  Makes me (even more) nervous about the epidural, but I was already feeling that way.  

Congratulations trouble on the BFP!

GL with your new doula JL! Hope you have an easy, lovely delivery some day very soon!

AFM, I'm 32 weeks, and pregnancy seems to be going well. The rest of my life is making my head spin, but I'm hanging in there.  On the plus side, it has basically led me to stop thinking about my pregnancy related discomforts, since I'm so busy worrying about other things. silver lining? :p

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Thanks all!!  I'm still pinching myself and trying not to be too nervous!!  How will I ever do it with 3? 

Jleighla - Good luck!!  I hope you have a quick and easy delivery.  My DD's due date was 5/3 (she just turned 3 :)  A spring baby is fantastic!!

Siena - Hopefully the rest of your life relaxes soon so you can enjoy these last few weeks of your pregnancy!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Congrats Trouble!!!

Can't believe I'm 30 weeks now!  Seems like such a big milestone to me.  I had a great ultrasound and appointment yesterday. Our little girl slowed down a bit on the growth rate but was still in the 76% percentile at 3 lbs 4 oz which is great (she was 90% percentile a month ago). Our boy on the other hand was literally off the charts again and they estimate him to be 4 lbs 4 oz right now. I'm now going to start going in for weekly non-stress tests and office visits, but my next ultrasound isn't until 34 weeks and can't wait to see how big they are then. Even though there is a big weight difference between the babies, I guess they aren't concerned since our girl is still well above average for singletons.

In other exciting news, in case these babies do not make an early appearance I was able to schedule my c-section for 38 weeks (they longest they'll let me go). So their birthday may be June 24th. So nice to have a set target to work towards.

Sections
Shortcuts