April Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Re: April Pregnancy

I think a lot of people say "natural" when they mean "vaginal."

It would be a lot easier if we could collectively agree to change the term to "medication-free" childbirth, or similear.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

I have found lots of people use natural for non-csection and I am always explaining the difference.  It would super annoy me if a doctor said it but they are anesthesiologists (sp?) so in their world they are the only important doctors...it made me chuckle.  No offense to any doctors but they really are very self absorbed and I come from a family of RNs...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I've noticed most in medicine talk about natural childbirth as a vaginal birth.  I guess we have to talk about unmedicated birth to mean no drugs! 

I did hear a statistic at one of my pre-natal classes last time that more than 90% of vaginal births have an epidural...which is probably why people assume you had one.  I remember the facilitator of the class had 4 kids, 2 with epis, 2 unmedicated...different factors in the births made the decision to medicate or not.

It's a very different kind of decision, but I feel like I get similar reactions from people about my decision to try to go med-free this time (assuming all goes well and VBAC works!) as I do about our decision not to find out if we're having a boy or girl. People either are impressed or incredulous!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

In Response to Re: April Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE]It's a very different kind of decision, but I feel like I get similar reactions from people about my decision to try to go med-free this time (assuming all goes well and VBAC works!)
    Posted by luvRIboy[/QUOTE]
    Luv - can't remember what your circumstances were the first time.  Did you have a planned c-section, or labor and then c-section?  The reason I ask is because I'm interested in med-free if we are able to get pregnant with #2.  With the existing DD, I had a v-birth with epidural.  Not pregnant yet, but I'm interested in finding out more about med-free (or other meds that are not the epidural), and particularly interested in people who had two different experiences.

Incidentally, I think maybe we should leave the confusing term "natural" and switch over to v-birth and c-birth??  Or maybe I will refer to vaginal birth as "old school" and c-section as "new school".  Not sure if that will clear things up!  :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

I think people are just uncomfortable with the "V" word in general which is where the issue comes into play.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

I guess many women think vaginal = natural for childbirth :)

We had our 19 week ultrasound with our perinatal doctor yesterday. It took a while due to the baby moving around so much... and we did find out the gender. It looks like DS (toddler) was right - I guess there is an old wives tale where if a toddler boy takes a keen interest in a pregnant woman's belly, it is a girl. And DS can not keep his hands off my belly (when he is busy patting or blowing raspberries on it, he will not let DH move him away... he would burst into tears or tell DH "no-no"). We are working to teach him to be gentler - I have some padding right now so it is okay, but that padding will not be there much longer, and the moving baby will only increase his curiousity with it - DH's belly does not attract the same interest.

We do have to go back to the perinatal doctor since there were a few small oddities that popped up - a bright white spot (ossification) in one ventricle of the heart, and a noticable skipping of a beat in the heart beat when you listen to it. Our dr did not seem too concerned at this time - if it had been just one or the other, we would not need to come back since everything else was completely normal... but both combined warranted a second look - I guess to see if it will expose an issue later (heart defect or chromosomal disorder). Since all other markers and checks were normal, we are hoping this will resolve itself.

Ah well, no point in stressing over it. It is what it is... and since we had known we would not change our actions with the pregnancy if it turned out the baby has a chromosomal disorder or other issues... we would do our best to address the situation as we know it. We are not deeply religious, but our mindset is more or less "whatever God give us, we will love and raise as best as we can". At this time we don't even know that the baby will have a medical condition to be addressed, so I won't be worrying about it :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

cwag, I hope what they saw on the u/s turns out to be nothing or something that works itself out naturally (not vaginally, lol).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Congrats on the little girl CWagner!  I hope everything has cleared up by the next appointment but I think you have a great mindset. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Quick question for all of you ladies: when did you (or do you) plan on buying a convertible car seat for your LO?  I didn't register for a convertible car seat because I haven't done any research on which one we would like to go with.  My shower's tomorrow so I won't be getting one as a gift but I'm thinking it might make sense to put one on the registry now so that I can use my coupon towards the purchase.  On the other hand, seeing as my LO won't need one for quite awhile does it make sense to wait and see if anything new comes out?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

CWag - hope you find out it's absolutely nothing worrisome, and congrats on the girl!  How old is your DS?  My DD (18 months) hasn't noticed anything about me being pregnant (am about 22 weeks along) and wondering if I should be more proactive about mentioning it.

Ha, Kar.  :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Medford, I had a planned C-section b/c of breech baby, so I haven't been through labor before.  I figure I went the full medical intervention route the first time, this time we'll see if we can do the opposite!  Of course, now having had the experience of DD, I know that there's only so much control I can have over any of this, so my plan is to take it as it comes. 

cwag, congrats on the little girl! 

And CLC, I didn't register for a convertible seat, and we didn't switch DD into hers until she was about 9 months old...she actually still fits in the baby seat by height and weight at 17 months, and until last month, we still used that seat in my husband's car.  I think I've said before,but I'm a minimalist when it comes to baby equipment, and the thought of having to store that huge box somewhere did not appeal to me!  That, plus there are always sales, so if there's a model you do end up liking, you can watch it on Babies r us or Amazon and buy it at the cheapest you can! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

[QUOTE]Quick question for all of you ladies: when did you (or do you) plan on buying a convertible car seat for your LO?  I didn't register for a convertible car seat because I haven't done any research on which one we would like to go with.  My shower's tomorrow so I won't be getting one as a gift but I'm thinking it might make sense to put one on the registry now so that I can use my coupon towards the purchase.  On the other hand, seeing as my LO won't need one for quite awhile does it make sense to wait and see if anything new comes out?
    Posted by clc51510[/QUOTE]

We didn't register for one either. I figure it's one less thing to have to store in the mean time, and I can always find BBB coupons somewhere. Plus there are frequent sales, etc.

On an unrelated note, DH and I have an exciting week coming up. This weekend is our childbirth class ( Sat and Sun morning) covering labor and delivery the first day with a tour of the birth center, and then the other session is newborn care, postpartum care, etc. I'm getting excited, though even as I'm getting kicked in the sternum by LO, it STILL somehow feels surreal. Then later next week is a class put on by our pedi all about health things- feeding, sleep, immunizations, etc. And finally next weekend is our Babymoon. We're staying at Wentworth by the Sea up in NH. I can't wait!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Thanks for the opinions.  One less thing I need to worry about now!

Summer - sounds like you have a great few weeks ahead of you.  Enjoy!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]CWag - hope you find out it's absolutely nothing worrisome, and congrats on the girl!  How old is your DS?  My DD (18 months) hasn't noticed anything about me being pregnant (am about 22 weeks along) and wondering if I should be more proactive about mentioning it. Ha, Kar.  :)
    Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Poppy. :)  

4 months is a long time to an 18 month old - I wouldn't worry about not having told her about the baby yet, but at the same time I don't think it's too early to start talking about it.  My BFF told her 2 year old quite early in her pregnancy and her DD is very excited and points at mom's belly and says, "Babies!"  But, my friend had little choice - she's having triplets so her belly was pretty obvious nearly from the start.

Have fun, Summer!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

Thanks, everyone!

Poppy - DS is only 19 months. We did not explicitly tell him, but somehow in the last month, he just seems obsessed with the belly (snuggling up to me and just patting and rubbing it for long periods of time) and blowing raspberries on it (all I can think of is poor little girl having to listen to all those raspberries) - we think he noticed how it is popping out. We do once in a while talk about the baby between DH and I, but DS is not very verbal or talkative although he does listen and understand a lot - but he also tunes us out when he is playing with his toys. At this time, he does not seem to be that interested in babies at this point. So we don't know what he is finding so fascinating unless it is the smooth roundness and the fact that it is slowly getting bigger. I figured we will try to explain it to him when we are a month or two away from birth.

Summer - enjoy the next few weekends (and let's hope your DH is not freaked out by the childbirth parts of the class :) after the class (where most of the men flinched and women were like "what did you expect was going to happy in childbirht?", DH was like "k, I am staying by your head" although he ended up watching and helping without feeling queasy to his surprise). The babymoon sounds like it will be fun.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

re: photographer

Try islandroadimages - Michael Goderre.  He was our wedding photographer and he's a genius and absolutely GIFTED in desiging the albums, as well as taking photographs.  I'll never look that good again, I'm sure of it.

So call him!

www.islandroadimages.com

oh! I just went to his website to make sure I had it right, and our wedding is still posted on it!  So I opened and looked through some of the photographs, what a beautiful and wonderful day!  I really should look at our album more often.

thank you for helping me remember.

Michael is also just about the nicest person in the world, you'll love him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

SO DH and I finished our weekend Prepared Childbirth class today. We both found it very informative and helpful, and we especially liked the tour.

Some of the topics discussed were pain management and who to have in the delivery room/visitors. Those topics got me thinking, for you moms who are soon to give birth or who have already started thinking about this stuff (or 2nd time moms who have been there, done that) -

Do you know ahead of time what you want for pain? What are you basing your decisions on?

Who do you plan on having in the labor/delivery room and why?

AFM, I'm keeping my options open for pain relief since I've never done this before, don't know what to expect/how I will handle it, and I know it's important to be flexbile. As far as people in the room, during labor I say now that I will be OK with my mom being in there, possibly my MIL, and my dad and FIL if they want to stop in...but I don't want a lot of people. And when it comes time to push, I'm fairly certain that I only want DH there. Everyone else will be asked to wait in the waiting area until we move to the Mother & Infant floor. Of course, all of this is my plan now and my mind could certainly change when the time comes...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

[QUOTE]SO Do you know ahead of time what you want for pain? What are you basing your decisions on? Who do you plan on having in the labor/delivery room and why? AFM, I'm keeping my options open for pain relief since I've never done this before, don't know what to expect/how I will handle it, and I know it's important to be flexbile.
    Posted by summerbride09[/QUOTE]

A lot of it depends on the policies at the hospital at which you will be giving birth.  I gave birth at the Brigham and they have very strict policies -- only 2 people are allowed to be with you during labor and delivery and they must be designated beforehand. 
    A lot of it is a personal decision of course, but I would say from my labor experience that my husband is the only partner I needed.  It is probably different if you have an epidural but I did natural childbirth and I didn't go into the hospital until my contractions were 2 minutes apart or so.  By that point, you really don't know what's going on besides maybe what position you feel the instinct to get into next and your partner's voice.  I definitely told some male orderly to stop talking because his voice was distracting me from my husband's.  I guess if you're there for hours and hours and hours (we were in labor and delivery for 8 hours or so, so it wasn't too long, and the time passes strangely when you're in labor) with an epidural, just kind of waiting to dilate maybe you'd be up to visitors.  Plus, if it's your first labor you don't know what it's going to be like.  As soon as my contractions started I had diarrhea on and off for the rest of labor (35 hours!) and once my water broke I started projectile vomiting.  If that happens to you you might not want to have to make small-talk with your MIL (or anyone, haha).

As for the drugs, I don't know much about the options.  I imagine you want to feel well-informed and know if you do want interventions what type would be better for you.  I will say that if you are interested in going drug-free you've got to kind of decide ahead of time you are going to do it and stick with it.  I pretty much guarantee you if you tell yourself "I'll see how I feel" that you're going to decide on saying yes to the epi when they offer it.  That's fine, and probably a good way to go about it, wait as long as you can and then go for the drugs.  But if you are toying with the idea of having a drug-free labor, you've got to kind of set your mind on it and have a partner and doctors who are willing to support you. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LCGCmomma. Show LCGCmomma's posts

With pain management or birthing plan, I think you have to keep it flexible. I knew that for me, I wasn't opposed to pain management (shots or epidural), so I just went with it. I started with just the shot in the butt/thigh for pain and that worked great for a while and I was able to walk around, etc. As things progressed further, I did get to a point where I wanted more than that. I was also already hooked up to IV lines for antibiotics since I was strep B positive, so adding in the epidural and having to stay "hooked up" wasn't a big deal for me personally. By starting with the pain shot and breathing techniques, walking around, etc. it worked well for me and I got the epidural in time to help with the more heavy delivery pain, but not too early for it to have stalled labor, or not let me feel when to push, etc.  I had heard a couple of scary stories from people about those kinds of things, so I wasn't that person who wanted the epi as soon as I walked through the door, either!

I was allowed only two people at a time in the actual birthing unit, so I had DH and then swapped out other people. I saw my mom and dad while I was walking around early on, and we VERY briefly said hi to MIL and FIL. I honestly didn't want my in-laws to be around for much of that part. I did keep my mom in the room for the actual delivery. That worked well since my DH and I are both a little squeamish and he wasn't going to really be looking while all the stuff was happening. He was a great support and it ended up meaning a lot to my mom to be there (1st grandkid). Everyone else waited for a while and we saw them in the recovery areas later on.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Do doctors give you a warning, "It's now or never," before it's too late for an epi?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

urseIn Response to Re: April Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE]Do doctors give you a warning, "It's now or never," before it's too late for an epi?
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

I don't know if it's so much of a 'now or never" situation, but the L&D nurse who taught our course did go over this. She said it can take about an hour between deciding you want the epi, getting blood work, fluids, etc. and when you actually have it done. So her example was if you're at 8cm and decide you want it, she might encourage you not to or point out that you're so close to being done that there's really no point (not exactly how she phrased it, but you get the idea...)

On the other hand, she said if you're at 2-3 cm and asking for it, she'd encourage you to stick it out a bit longer so you have something to compare it to (ie getting the epi at the very beginning wouldn't give you the amount of relief you'd experience at 6-7cm- she wants her patients to have a frame of reference and see what active labor feels like). Of course each nurse/dr/hospital is different, but this is how she explained it to us.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Summer - CCH only allows two people in the delivery room.  I will have my DH and mom in there with me.  They encourage others to wait at home until the baby's born which I have passed along to my IL's and siblings but I don't know if they'll listen.  I figure the nurses will deal with that if they don't want them in the waiting room.  As for having my mom, I know that DH is a little squeamish and a very nervous person in general and she's been through this 4 times so I think she will be very helpful for me and DH during the delivery.

As for drugs, I'm going into planning on having an epi.  I would like to try to wait until I'm close to 7-8 cm's before they do it but I guess it will all depend on how things are going.  I have made the decision that I'm not comfortable with taking the narcotics.  That's the only thing I'm ruling out at this point.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hm, interesting, thanks Summer.  I asked because I know people who stuck it out, decided they couldn't stand it another second, screamed for the epidural, and were told "it's too late."  I don't know if they were told, "if you wait any longer you won't be able to get one at all," and they declined at that time and were sorry they did, or if no one told them, "Hey, this is it - last chance, yes or no?"

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Summer, I think I agree that saying you'll keep your options open RE: pain meds will likely end in you getting them. I didn't want an epidural but said I wouldnt rule it out since I had never experienced labor before. I ended up getting induced, which made for very painful, intense contractions. I was all ready to cave and ask for an epidural when I realized I needed to push, otherwise I'm pretty sure I would have gotten it. I also wish I had spent a little more time with DH practicing pain management strategies, b/c once I was in the throes of it, the stuff we practiced once at our class was totally out of my head. Ultimately, though, you don't know what it's going to be like, so if you commit to no pain meds and end up feeling that you need them, go ahead and don't beat yourself up. As for people in the delivery room, I had a fairly long stint of mild contractions (7 hours or so) and I still only wanted DH, but that's just me. It was the only way I could really relax. If you do have relatives at the hospital waiting to come in after you give birth, do not feel bad asking them to wait. My parents and in laws arrived very shortly after DH was born and I was barely cleaned up when the nurse asked if they could come in. In retrospect, I wish I'd asked for just a few more minutes to collect myself and be alone with DS and DH before the happy onslaught. As it is, I barely remember the time between DS being born and my parents coming in. Not bad, but I did wish I'd taken a bit more time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

I really cannot speak much of pain management... we were in the hospital for all of 20mins when DD was born.  However, I wanted a natural birth and had very much planned and researched.  When things started happening so quickly, there was no option other than natural and I was really glad I was prepared.  I read several books, asked lots of questions in our birthing class, and talked to lots of friends.  In my limited sphere, those who were least prepared had the worst experiences. 

As for visitors... do NOT encourage people to wait at the hospital.  You don't want the pressure of people wanting to come visit when you are not ready.  DD was born at 11pm and we didn't even call our parents until 8am the next morning.  It was 3am before we were on the mother and baby unit, that is when they took her to the nursery for a bath and let DH and I get some sleep.  They brought her back about 6am and I still needed some time to work on the whole breastfeeding thing.  Not to mention I was starving and wanted breakfast.  In the end... we made our phone calls at 8:30am and the first visitors (my mom and aunt) came at 2pm.  We then had a steady stream of people until 9pm.  It was stressful as it was, but I couldnt imaging not having that alone time with DH and DD before everyone came.  Maybe if you had an AM baby you'd be up for visitors by dinner time... but leave yourself space to play it by ear.  If your family is in the waiting room, they will be pushing to visit even if you are not ready.  Just like you're allowing yourself to play the pain meds by ear, you don't want to force yourself into a situation with the visitors.