April Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

Re: April Pregnancy

I agree with an openness of mind is the best way to approach it but it is good to have an idea of what you want as well.  I was induced on a monday early afternoon and was on pitocin and miso till I gave birth early Thursday morning.  By Tuesday night my dh invited his parents so I felt like I had to have my mom and sister by too - It was a good distraction (would have preferred just my mom, sis and mil - fil was a bit weird because I was so sore and crampy it was hard to get in and out of the bed or shift and stay modestly covered)  but dh was going a bit stir crazy so I think it was more beneficial to him.  Time does move weirdly when you are there so not sure I needed the visitors.  My mom was on call though for delivery room if dh needed some support.  I requested that no one wait at the hospital - would have been too much stress knowing they were just sitting there which in hindsight was smart since it took so darn long.
    As for drugs, I also refused anything but the epi and heartburn meds.  Once my water was manually broken the back labor was so intense I dont even really know how long I tried to stick it out for before asking for the epi but that was Wednesday afternoon so I had already been through almost 48 hours of mild labor so I was exhausted as well as felt like I had been hit by a bus.  Active labor is most definetely different!  I choose to be induced though as my bp bottom number was topping off in the 100's so it was induce at just shy of 38 weeks or hospital bedrest.  So I was glad that my original game plan had been "non medicated for as long as I can go" because between the bp and the positive strep b test it was going to be a hospitalized experience no matter what I wanted!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

It will be a very personal issue and will vary from person to person depending on goals, pain threshold and how labor progresses (naturally or induced, long or slow etc).

I ruled out narcotics from the start - largely in part because all the women in my family tend to be sensitive to same type of drugs, and one sister of mine had a difficult time with a few different narcotics for her surgeries/illnesses in the past (where she felt worse than before taking them) - and I did not labor to be the time where I found out that I had the same issue. So that was always off the table for me.

I did hope to avoid epidural but after 6-7 hours of induced labor and then a sudden increase in picotin (they decided it was no where near strong enough since I was not dilating much), I decided it was time. There is a wait for sure... and although I would have liked to have been able to skip it, it did allow me to sleep for 3-4 hours (I had already been in the hospital for over 14 hours) and handle the increasing picotin levels - and the rest allowed me to have energy for a long, long pushing session. Even after I got the epidural, I still had another 10 hours to go (not that I knew I had that much longer to go) - and it did wear off in one side for pushing while the other side was numb so I did still feel the tearing and the subsequent stitching.

As for number of people in the room - my family and DH's family are out of state, and he came 3 weeks early, so I did not have to worry about who was around, as it was just me and DH (who busily typed out last minute emails for me for my office as I was being settled with IVs, monitors etc - I had gone into work then left work for the hospital).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Summer, will they do a pre-consult with an anaesthesiologist at the hospital where you are going to give birth?  If you do the pre-consult you can get a lot of great information and questions answered and you can get a lot of the paperwork behind you.  That way the process of getting an epi will be quicker if you need it and you will be less likely to run into that "it's too late" situation.

Technically, I believe it's never officially too late to get an epi, it's just most hospital procedures to not give one at a certain point because it becomes harder for the mother to stay still enough to do it (it's a needle that goes into your spine, after all) and the risk outweighs the reward.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In Response to Re: April Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE]Summer, will they do a pre-consult with an anaesthesiologist at the hospital where you are going to give birth?  If you do the pre-consult you can get a lot of great information and questions answered and you can get a lot of the paperwork behind you.  That way the process of getting an epi will be quicker if you need it and you will be less likely to run into that "it's too late" situation. Technically, I believe it's never officially too late to get an epi, it's just most hospital procedures to not give one at a certain point because it becomes harder for the mother to stay still enough to do it (it's a needle that goes into your spine, after all) and the risk outweighs the reward.
    Posted by lissafro[/QUOTE]

They don't do pre-consults.

My post on this was out of curiosity of what others are planning on doing and why...I'm not worried about it being too late or anything. And like in my previous post, I am going into it with a mostly open mind and am willing to try all methods including comfort measures but not narcotics. Just wanted to know what others are deciding on as well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

I had an epi with both deliveries, though there were issues each time. During the 1st, it only worked on one side for a couple of hours. The doctors had to come and tweak it a few times. Of course, I went from 2- 10 centimeters in the two hours it took to finally fix the epi! But, pushing was easy (45 minutes) and I really didn't feel anything during the delivery except for a big gush with the last push. (I only had 1 tiny tear.) With #2, I was already 4 centimeters by the time I got to L&D and the contractions were 2-3 minutes apart. My nurse fast-tracked me for the epi as soon as I got to my room (but that still took a good 45 minutes). The initial booster that they give you was wearing off just as it was time to push, and the epi still hadn't kicked in, so I felt everything while delivering #2. Luckily, it was only 6 pushes in 9 minutes. I knew from the get-go that I wanted the epi. For me, I felt I could be much more "in the moment" if I wasn't worried about the pain. That was certainly the case with #1. I had a clear head to hear what the nurse and OB were telling me and I felt calm even though the pushing was physically hard. With #2, the epi booster gave me just a few minutes to catch my breath before having to push, but it was still worth it. I also knew that my husband was very nervous about the delivery too, and would have had a hard time being fully present if I were struggling and in lots of pain. So, the epi was also a way to help keep him more calm (since I was calm) and allow him to be a better support. Good luck with your decision. It doesn't matter how they come as long as baby and mama are OK.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

[QUOTE]
     It doesn't matter how they come as long as baby and mama are OK.
    Posted by kiwigal[/QUOTE]
    Amen.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

Agree Kiwigirl!  Also talked with my dh last night about this as we are close to 2nd time around.  All the talk about pre consults etc had me thinking I must have done it before hand though I had not been 100% for it...nope my dh says we were advised and signed off on papers right before they put it in...I do not remember a thing about it.  I remember this big, tall handsome doctor coming in but nothing about paperwork.  How warped the whole process makes time and reality seem.  The doctor was probably 5'2" and 200lbs but to me he was god. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

[QUOTE]  How warped the whole process makes time and reality seem.  The doctor was probably 5'2" and 200lbs but to me he was god. 
    Posted by wrkingmom[/QUOTE]

haha workingmom!

AFM, my rings officially don't fit anymore with this weather.  I have them on a chain around my neck but I feel naked.  Also, I was outside yesterday at DH's baseball game (he coaches HS baseball) and I got FRIED!  I had never been to the field we were at and there wasn't any shade and the heat was crazy.  Unfortunately I'm in a lot of pain but hopefully it goes by quickly.

Also, my shower on Saturday was great.  It was very relaxed which I loved.  We have some great family and friends and got some awesome presents for our LO.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Triple amen to what Kiwi said!

I went in with no plan and figured we'd see how it goes.  I got the epi and I don't regret it (it gave me 6 hours of peaceful sleep!) but I do wish I had been better informed.
    If we go for #2, I plan to find out more information about the narcotics shots (nubain?) and I also want to find out (and write down and bring!!) how to ask for a lower strength / walking epidural.  In my case with #1, the epidural was just much too strong.  They turned it down, but it took a while to make a difference.  My preference next time would be to start out mild and turn it up only if needed.
    I say "walking" epidural but my hospital didn't actually allow you to walk once you had one.  But I think people are familiar with the term.

I recently read an article about nitrous oxide for childbirth, but I don't think anywhere around here has it yet.  Or "again" I should say - apparently it used to be popular but it fell out of favor once they invented the epidural and fancier stuff!

The other thing everyone says is if you want to avoid medication or delay it in order to let things progress more first, stay at home for as long as you feel secure doing so (especially if the hospital is close).  You will be much more comfortable.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: April Pregnancy : haha workingmom! AFM, my rings officially don't fit anymore with this weather.  I have them on a chain around my neck but I feel naked.  Also, I was outside yesterday at DH's baseball game (he coaches HS baseball) and I got FRIED!  I had never been to the field we were at and there wasn't any shade and the heat was crazy.  Unfortunately I'm in a lot of pain but hopefully it goes by quickly. Also, my shower on Saturday was great.  It was very relaxed which I loved.  We have some great family and friends and got some awesome presents for our LO.
    Posted by clc51510[/QUOTE]

Glad your shower was a success! Ours is next Sunday and I am getting sooo impatient...I know the date but no other details so I'm dying for it to get here!

And I hear ya on the rings...I pretty much had to stop wearing mine during the last heat wave a few weeks ago...I've tried to get them back on on colder days, but once they're on they barely come off so I'd rather not risk it. I put them in our safe and instead am wearing a Claddagh ring that DH got me 3 weeks before he proposed, so it's just as suitable (but not the sameFrown).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

I've been on a much need vacation the past week and it looks like I have a lot to catch up on here! Interesting conversation about the pain management and delivery room guests. A lot of useful information that I need to take notes on!

clc - I'm so glad you had a great shower. I hope your sunburn starts to feel better soon. Ouch!

AFM, we had our 2nd trimester ultrasound this morning and despite baby being curled up in a tight little ball, everything looks good. Good thing we did not want to know the sex because I doubt we would've found out anyway. The spotting started up again about a week and half ago and my midwife seemed a little nervous about it, especially since I have had a leep, but the ultrasound doctor said that my cervix and placenta look great so it is a huge relief for me! I think I've been feeling movement for the past couple weeks and it was pretty much confirmed over the weekend when I felt some of the normal movement followed by a swift kick under my belly button. So crazy. I definitely feel more and more every day.

I hope everyone else is doing well and has been able to enjoy this nice weather!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

CT-DC - thanks for the photog recommendation.  I just emailed them because DH and I never got around to getting an album and I just don't have time to do it myself online (and don't see a lot of free time in my future!).  Our photographer does gorgeous albums but we can't afford them.

Summer - Glad you liked your class!  As far as pain management, the ladies here pretty much summed up what I would have said.  Until you're in the throes of it, you have no idea what labor will be like for you.  I had an epidural.  I was induced and had back labor, but I have no idea if I still would have had the epi if I hadn't been induced, hadn't had back labor.  I do think (which I didn't see commented on much here yet) that if you want a natural labor/delivery you will probably need to really focus on preparing for that ahead of time.  I thought I could "go either way" and when it came down to it I really didn't have enough tools (physical and psychological) to make it through the pain.  I really do think you need to research and prepare for that quite a bit ahead of time.  I'd actually be curious to hear if anyone here had a med-free labor/delivery who didn't actively plan for that (aside from special sitautions where the baby came really fast and there wasn't time for pain meds).

One of the more important details I'm glad they covered with you is that it may be an hour or more between when you ask for the epi and when they are able to administer it, depending on the availability of the staff, etc.  I was really afraid I would not be able to sit still for them to insert it, but that was actually not as difficult as I thought it would be (they usually do it in between contractions).

As far as visitors, If, like some, you're vomiting or have diarrhea you will not want people around.  If you have a fairly calm early labor, you may be fine having family in, chatting, etc.  I was admitted to the hospital around 3am and 12 hours later my mom and her boyfriend came in, and aside from the fact that I knew I looked like sh*t, I didn't mind them being there for some of it.

I had the opposite experience from bostongrl - I kind of liked that my MIL and mom were waiting in the waiting room.  I liked knowing they were close by.  They are not pushy, so it wasn't like they were bugging the nurses to come in and see me.  They just waited.  And when the baby was born I was happy to have them visit us in recovery (I had a c-section).  They literally stayed maybe 20-30 minutes then went home (it was midnight at that point).  But, that said, I have an easy family.  If they were pushy or if there were 15 of them, I might have felt overwhelmed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

[QUOTE]I had the opposite experience from bostongrl - I kind of liked that my MIL and mom were waiting in the waiting room.  I liked knowing they were close by.  They are not pushy, so it wasn't like they were bugging the nurses to come in and see me.  They just waited.  And when the baby was born I was happy to have them visit us in recovery (I had a c-section).  They literally stayed maybe 20-30 minutes then went home (it was midnight at that point).  But, that said, I have an easy family.  If they were pushy or if there were 15 of them, I might have felt overwhelmed.
    Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to chime in here about the visitors (I'm "visiting" from the TTC boards). When my best friends was in labor with her daughter, a few of my friends and I descended upon the waiting room at the hospital. She ended up getting induced on a Friday, so it was nice and easy for us to get there after work and not have to worry about functioning the next day. We saw her when we first got there before she had the epi and then we stayed in the waiting room the rest of the time. She packed us a bag of snacks and board games and we just hung out. The nurses said they'd ever seen such a dedicated team for such a long time. We stuck it out through her 3am C-section, saw the baby in the nursery while my friend was in recovery, and stayed for maybe a half hour once she got to her room. We saw the sunrise, sang the baby Happy Birthday, and left. It was a really special experience for me as an "auntie" and I think my friend liked having us there pulling for her. Obviously we planned it out ahead of time and if she hadn't wanted us there, we wouldn't have come and we did our best to stay out of the way. We did the same for another friend's first daugther, although that labor was much shorter. I know every mom is different and you shouldn't feel bad for any decision you make. Just wanted to add a different perspective from someone who spent the better part of 12 hours in a waiting room. I wouldn't have traded that experience for anything.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Everyone's different in the drugs and visitors topics. 

My plan with DD had been to have both my husband and mom with me in labor and delivery.  Since DD ended up a planned c-section, she couldn't come into the actual OR, but she was with us in pre-op and I'd arranged for her to come right back to the PACU (recovery) to help me with nursing.  Since it was a quiet day, both of my parents and my in-laws were able to come into recovery, which was actually really nice.  The surgery was at 8 am, and first visitors other than them weren't until around 7 that night...and we only had immediate family + two close friends visit in the hospital...we were there 4 nights.

Since she was a c-section, the drug-free plan also went out the window and I had a spinal. 

With this pregnancy, I'm doing everything I can to have a VBAC, and if all works as I hope, this time, my mom and DH will be with me for delivery...my dad will be with DD.  And I've written into my birth plan that I do not want any drugs to be offered to me...if I ask, they can give them, but I don't want them mentioned unless I bring it up.  I am planning to go as long as I can without meds, and also want to labor at home as long as I can...will all depend on what happens with the pregnancy though.  I love my midwives though...they are really committed to doing everything they can to get me the VBAC.  20 weeks to go to see what happens!

I will say that yesterday's preview of summer does not have me looking forward to being very pregnant and chasing a toddler!  Makes me very grateful for daycare to wear her out and air conditioning to keep me cool! 

Hope Liz is hanging in there.  And aren't we expecting some good news from a couple of folks? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Question about birth plans, is that something that you draft up on your own or with your doctor?  My OB hasn't mentioned it yet; however, I'm only at 32 weeks so maybe that's why.  I guess I could draft one up on my own but if they have a standard format that they are use to seeing I would rather use that.  Thanks!

ETA:  I hope Tang is at home enjoying her LO in an IL-free house!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

[QUOTE]Question about birth plans, is that something that you draft up on your own or with your doctor?  My OB hasn't mentioned it yet; however, I'm only at 32 weeks so maybe that's why.  I guess I could draft one up on my own but if they have a standard format that they are use to seeing I would rather use that. 
    It probably depends; mine never really mentioned it.  You can find worksheets online, like this one: http://www.babycenter.com/calculators-birthplan

Regarding guests: a friend had her DH, mom, and 3 sisters all in the delivery room with her!  It ended up being amazing, but her doctor was initially wary and had her set up a code word -- she was supposed to use the code word if she changed her mind and wanted the doctor to clear out the relatives.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

clc - in my experience, most doctors are not a fan of birth plans/don't place much importance on them.  So don't be surprised if your doctor is "meh" when you bring it up.  Maybe yours will be different, but either way YOU need to be the advocate for your plan (and whomever you choose to be in labor/delivery with you).  Sometimes the nurses will help advocate for you, but most stories I've heard when there is an OB and not midwives delivering the baby is that no one cares about your birth plan but you.  I found that a bit disheartening, but I did one anyway.  It was actually a nice experience for DH and I to go through together (writing it up).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

My OB did bring up topics like epidurals and narcotics, and pre-registration at the hospital but not specifically a birth plan towards end of my first pregnancy.

For this one, I think we are just waiting to see how pregnancy rolls along - my ideal is as usual, try natural, but realize the situation will affect how it unfolds for me (inducion, c-section etc).

Our big concern is what to do with our toddler and how to set up emergency network (due date is right after labor day and our families are out of state) especially like what if I go into labor in the middle of the night. If only we could like work out a deal with the unborn child - ideally it would be like we drop off toddler son, and then i go into labor and baby is born by 5PM... daycare is next door to the hospital. For those of you with toddlers and pregnant - how do you work that out?

I know our hospital has a child friendly tour so we plan to take DS on that when I am a month or so away so he understands what is going on. But other than that, we are uncertain how to approach this with DS including emergency childcare while I am in labor (once #2 is born, we talked about having someone help me out in the hospital while DH is with DS and if it is during the week, keep DS' schedule as close to normal - go to daycare as usual, usual morning and night routine with DH). Do people encourage or discourage having toddlers visit their mommy in the hospital post birth? Wait until everyone is home from hospital (but like bring pictures and videos home for DS)?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Ditto what Poppy said about the doctors kind of being ambivalent about birth plans.  In addition, even if the doctor is 100% supportive of the birth plan, there are a lot of other people in the room like nurses and residents that are more involved in your care.  The doctor kind of comes in intermittently and checks progress, then goes and sees other women in labor, then comes in and catches the baby. 
    The great thing about having a birth plan is the process of writing it up helps you think through what your ideal situation would be.
    Also, if you are going to aim to go drug-free, or even if you're not planning on it but you're hoping to use some strategies to help wait for a while before having the epi, you've got to practice the breathing/relaxation stuff.  If you practice a LOT so it is reflexive it will work.  If you practice a few times once in a while or not at all it will all fly out of your head once you have real contractions.  I had a lot of success because for the whole last trimester I practices my breathing/visualization exercises (and did my kegels) as I fell asleep every night.  I don't think I could have kept with just the breathing and no drugs if I hadn't essentially brainwashed myself into doing them automatically.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

[QUOTE]Question about birth plans, is that something that you draft up on your own or with your doctor?  My OB hasn't mentioned it yet; however, I'm only at 32 weeks so maybe that's why.  I guess I could draft one up on my own but if they have a standard format that they are use to seeing I would rather use that.  Thanks! ETA:  I hope Tang is at home enjoying her LO in an IL-free house!

The L&D nurse teaching our class did talk about these quite a bit. She recommended making one, at least to have some things written down incase you weren't able to communicate clearly, hadn't thought about it, etc. She focused more on using it to keep track of what your wishes are for pain relief, medical interventions like breaking water and using pitocin, what happens to the baby immediately after birth, visitors, etc. It sounded like the nurses at our hospital really do use them as a guide. She gave an example where if a mom puts in her plan that under NO circumstances should any pain medication/epi be used, yet when in labor is begging for it, that the nurse would have to point out it was in her plan not to have it and the nurse would be very hesitant to listen to an angry woman in labor....after this story she then mentioned how critical it is if you write a plan/have ideas in mind, to be flexible because you never know what will happen.

All that being said, DH and I came up with a rough plan and typed it out, and I will bring it with us. Basically it says that I am open to most types of comfort measures and pain relief including epi but prefer no narcotics; DH will cut the cord and baby will be placed on my chest immediately after she comes out, and we don't want anyone in the room for delivery but DH and no visitors until we move to the Mother-Infant unit.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

It's definitely a great idea to put things in your birth plan that your DH wants, or that you want him to do! I kept reminding DH to remind the OB that I wanted *DH* to announce the baby's gender, rather than the OB.  I was OBSESSED with this, so afraid everyone would forget and we'd lose out on that moment.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Maybe this is a really dumb question, but are midwives more involved with the entire birthing process than the doctors? I've heard that the doctor basically comes in to catch the baby and that it's the nurses, interns, etc. there most of the time. Is it different if you go with a midwife?
    Assuming that the pregnancy remains problem-free, I would like to remain at home as long as possible and really try to go drug-free with a midwife delivery. But I've never experienced anything like this before so I'm not going to kill myself over it. We are taking the natural childbirth classes and I will try to prepare as best as possible. Did anyone do prenatal yoga and did it help with delivery? I guess that's impossible to answer if you have nothing to compare it to, but I think I will also sign up for it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

As someone who delivered DD using hypnobirthing techniques, I wanted to second what lissafro said about practicing any techniques you might be considering until they are second nature. I had a wonderful unmedicated birthing experience, but if I hadn't practiced various relaxation techniques for weeks, there is no way I would have been able to do them as easily when the time came. 

Also, birthing plans are a tool for you and your SO to decide what is important to you, and as such, are great for making sure you communicate what you hope happens. But so many things can happen during labor and delivery that doctors often don't pay attention to them. It will be up to you and your partner to make sure that your plan is followed, or at least acknowledged. 

There are some things you can control, and some you can't - even at the big teaching hospitals you can request that no students or observers be present, but you still might have a giant crowd - I had meconium in the fluid when my water broke (at home) and they had a hard time getting DDs heart rate when we got to the delivery room (faulty monitor, no problems with DD) but still a neonatal team of 4 was there to check her out when she was born. They were very quick about checking her, and gone as soon as she was deemed OK, but still, that wasn't part of my plan, and while it was actually all very controlled, seemed quite chaotic for me as I was doing my final pushes. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

cicirose - How far along are you? If you really want to try for an unmedicated delivery, I would recommend a hypnobirthing class, but you need 8-10 weeks before your due date to take the class (I think it was 5 two hour classes) and practice the techniques. 
    As far as midwives, they often are more involved than OBs, but if they are part of a hospital they might have several laboring women to watch, just like an OB, so they aren't always there the whole time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Poppy - that is my number one reason for asking about birth plans.  It's really important to me that DH announce the gender.  I'm actually pretty open to everything else, except narcotics, but I really want DH to announce the gender.  Also, he REALLY doesn't want to cut the cord so I should probably add that too.  I have an appointment in a week so I will bring it up and if my OB doesn't have a standard form I will go ahead and type one up with DH.  Thanks for all of the advice!

Sections
Shortcuts