April Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Re: April Pregnancy

In Response to Re: April Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE] Also, he REALLY doesn't want to cut the cord so I should probably add that too. 
    Posted by clc51510[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to chime in because my husband was the exact same way. He's a fainter by nature and the mere thought of cutting the cord made him queasy. However, when the time came, the OB offered him one last chance to cut before she went ahead and DH practically ripped the scissors out of her hands. He was euphoric (I guess even the fathers get that adrenalin rush, too) and wanted the opportunity to cut it at that moment. He's so proud that he did it and now says it's one of his favorite memories of the birth. I just wanted to throw that out there, because like the epi, it may be a decision that he'll want some flexibility on. If not, no harm doing in offering one last chance (imo) or deciding to make it a NO from the get-go if that's what you really want.

I cut the cord with #2 and I thought it was great, too. Not what I was expecting, but it felt really right for me in the moment.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Ok, this is the only place I can be truly sure people will appreciate the hilariousness of the situation:

This morning, I farted so loudly I woke up the fetus. After it clearly jumped and was startled, it freaked out for like 3 minutes trying to figure out what was going on.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

hahhahaa Lissa I am LITERALLY laughing out loud in my office. What a wonderful way to start off the morning.

Thanks for the insight, Kiwi.  I agree there is no harm in them offering it to him in the moment but when we talk about it now it makes him weak.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Lissa, that is so funny! Thanks for such a great story to start off the day.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

[QUOTE]Ok, this is the only place I can be truly sure people will appreciate the hilariousness of the situation: This morning, I farted so loudly I woke up the fetus. After it clearly jumped and was startled, it freaked out for like 3 minutes trying to figure out what was going on.
    Posted by lissafro[/QUOTE]

LOL!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Hi ladies! I just skimmed about 5 pages worth of posts and will have to go back and really catch up on how everyone's doing :) But - our little guy arrived a week ago! I don't even know where to start...as I'd mentioned, I went on modified bed rest the day before my due date. The due date rolled around, and a little after midnight, I started having the same menstrual-type contractions that I'd been having for a week. But they intensified and started coming more quickly, so by 3:45AM we were on our way to the hospital. I was 5 cm dilated when I was admitted. The contractions kept coming more and more quickly, to the point where I wasn't getting much of a break between them. I did deep belly breathing CONSTANTLY and listened to calming meditative music - my goal was an unmedicated delivery, so the birthing ball, rocking chair, and shower were helpful. DH kept urging me to get up and walk around, which was very painful but definitely helped me progress. The doctor didn't want to check me often since I was aiming for natural delivery (I was frustrated by this at the time, but in hindsight I'm guessing it was because she wanted me to progress as far as possible between checks, so I wouldn't get discouraged by any slow progress).

My nurse was WONDERFUL, and she and the ob were very supportive of my plan to go natural, which was helpful. I saw some mentions of birth plans on the board - I had typed up a one-pager and stuck it in my purse so DH could refer to it. It was fairly basic - a bulleted list of things I wanted (no epidural and please don't offer it; soft music; dim lights; access to birthing ball/shower/squat bar; skin-to-skin contact after delivery; delayed cord clamping; DH to cut the cord; rooming-in; no bottles/pacifiers given to baby; etc). We never gave the plan to the nurses/doctor, but it was helpful for DH to have it in writing and make sure our requests were honored.

Anyhoo, I was fairly certain I was passing through transition, as my contractions were extreme and back-to-back, and I thought about cracking a few times and asking for the epidural but never said anything since I knew the wheels would be put into motion as soon as I mentioned the word (DH was super-supportive of the non-medicated plan, but seeing me in so much pain, he asked a few times if I was sure...). Thankfully they finally checked me, and I was 9cm! At that point I wasn't turning back. I panted through a bunch more contractions, and finally it was time to push. I pushed for maybe 20 minutes, and our little boy arrived! From first contraction to delivery was probably 9.5 hours. It was absolutely incredible - the most painful experience of my life, but so empowering. I've never felt so proud of myself and DH. We fell instantly head-over-heels with our little fella, who is adorable and perfect :) He's napping peacefully next to me now.

Ladies, I'm so glad I've had the support of this board throughout my pregnancy! I've picked up so many great tips here, and I'm sure certain aspects of my pregnancy and delivery were made better by you all! OH - and about the in-laws - they stayed with my folks, thank goodness. The whole crew was here for much of our first weekend out of the hospital - it was fun and so great to have the time with them, but definitely tiring and overwhelming. Having them stay with my parents was super-helpful.

And - about having others in the delivery room - this is only my experience, but there is no way in h$ll I'd want anyone but DH in the room given the way my labor progressed. It was very intense, and I had my eyes closed and was totally focused on my breathing and moaning the entire time - having other people "stopping in" would have made me crazy (even the small bit of casual chitchat that DH had with the nurses was background noise - I heard them but there was no way I was joining the conversation). But of course other people have longer/less intense labors and might enjoy the company. I guess if you're considering having other people in the room, you should prepare them for the possibility that they might get booted out (and not invited back in 'til the baby's out!). I'd imagined that we'd have time to do things like turn on the TV, text people, etc - no way. We didn't make any calls for several hours after the baby was born, and didn't tell anyone that I'd gone into labor. We really wanted that time to bond with the baby and establish our new little family, and I'm SO glad we did.

I'll try to get back on the boards and catch up on how everyone's doing...clc, I'm glad your shower was a success! And that you're sleeping better :) Poppy, how is it going with the house closing/move? I hope everyone else is doing well!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

CONGRATS, Tang, on your little boy!!  And, so nice that it went exactly as you'd hoped it would.  You were so brave to stick to the plan you had decided on.  What a relief to have had your in-laws stay at your parents.  I'm sure they enjoyed the company, as well, bonding over the birth of their grandson.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Congrats, Tang, and welcome to your little Tangerine slice!  I hope you and DH enjoy every minute with your little man.  Sounds like you got your ideal birth (you know besides all that pain) and glad things worked out with the ILs. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Congrats Tang!!! Enjoy this special time with your little man :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Congrats Tang!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Congrats Tang!  I am glad to hear things went so well!  Enjoy your baby boy!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Congrats Tang! Sounds like everything went perfectly!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Congratulations, Tang! Enjoy!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Congrats, Tang! That's awesome that everything went so well!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Congrats Tang!  Your post made me all emotional.  :)  I'm so glad for you that your DS's birth went the way you wanted it to - and very impressed that you had the focus and tenacity to see your plan through.  Also that you had the full support of the OB and nurse(s) (as well as DH, of course).  I think that was my DH's hardest thing to deal with - seeing me in so much pain.

I cant' believe you thought to ask about the house - but, thanks! We signed the purchase & sale and will close in June! (they have at least 1 child in school and want to finish out the year)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fuzzymiss9. Show Fuzzymiss9's posts

Congratulations Tang!

We heard the heartbeat for the first time today at 9 1/2 weeks...got me all emotional too.  Guess this is really really happening!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

[QUOTE]Congratulations Tang! We heard the heartbeat for the first time today at 9 1/2 weeks...got me all emotional too.  Guess this is really really happening!
    Posted by Fuzzymiss9[/QUOTE]

Glad you got to hear it so early! Was it by doppler or u/s? Our doc couldn't find it with the doppler at 12 weeks which led to a harried appointment and spur of the moment ultrasound to check on LO.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Congratulations Tang and Fuzzy! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Oh my goodness - I had the rare experience of being home and watching "Baby Story" while DD naps.  My tears are hitting the keyboard.  I never get accustomed to what a miracle it is (even having been to many deliveries in the past)!!  Can you tell I am almost 36 weeks pg??

I hope everyone else is feeling well!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fuzzymiss9. Show Fuzzymiss9's posts

They used a doppler and prefaced it with 'we might not hear anything as it's so early and I don't want you to get upset', but she found it rightaway.  It was an amazing sound, I'm still teary thinking about it

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Congrats, Fuzzy. Even at 33 weeks that sound never gets old!

LIL - I've never watched Baby Story but I've seen several episodes of "One Born Every Minute" and I always end up in tears.

AFM, I'm truly uncomfortable today.  The baby is in a weird position and is some how both restricting my breathing and applying lots of pressure down low so that sitting is uncomfortable. AND I must have slept wrong on my shoulder so that's aching.  I'm struggling to get through the day and at this point I want to cry.  First time in this pregnancy where I feel huge.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Congrats Fuzzy! It is so exciting to hear the HB. I totally started bawling the first time.

LIL - I couldn't make it through an episode of Baby Story with dry eyes even when I wasn't pg!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Baby Story is guaranteed tears for me, too. And now that I'm waiting for #2, I actually think it's worse for me than it was before DD...probably because I have been in the OR for a c-section, been in recovery, all of that...it's all the more real!!! 

Just back from my app't with the high-risk OB.  All confirmed what we talked about with my MW...I'm not "high-risk", but because of the elevated BP and later low amniotic fluid with DD, they want to pay extra attention in case it happens again.  That's good, since I really want to deliver at NWH again, and if I were labeled "high-risk" with my practice, they'd want me to deliver at the Brigham.  

The doc was really great...spent a full half hour just talking about my concerns and likely outcomes.  Also, relieved my biggest fears that meeting with her would mean no attempt at VBAC for me...she said I am still a great VBAC candidate, so not to let that worry me.  Go back in 8 weeks for another app't with her and a growth ultrasound.  Bonus of all the extra monitoring is at least 2 more ultrasounds!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

That's great news, Luv!  and yay for more ultrasounds!  :)

Fuzzy - awesome, that is such a wonderful sound.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Luv - I know someone who just had a VBAC, pushed for 19 minutes and no problems at all.  Here is hoping the same goes for you!

Sections
Shortcuts