April Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Re: April Pregnancy

In Response to Re: April Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE] As for talking to the baby, I would honestly think they can't tell the difference between your talking to them and just hearing your voice.  If you spend the day alone, if you're anything like me you talk to yourself all day, anyway, and the baby won't know the difference.  However, if you spend most of your day not talking, I'd probably use my commute to chat it up to the baby.  :)
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Ha, I think my fellow train riders would find me a little crazy if I started chatting with my belly during my commute! Good tips though. I tried to talk to the baby in the shower this morning but felt absolutely ridiculous. Maybe my obnoxious baby talk to our dog will be sufficient :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Like summer, I am also a teacher so the baby hears my voice all day.  With my first I consciously made an effort to hum the song I figured would be the lullaby I wanted to introduce/use with the baby once it was out.  If I were standing at the stove or the sink or doing errands or whatever I would rock a bit, sway, maybe rub my belly if I had a free hand, and hum the song to myself/baby. I don't know if it worked or not, but I like to think using the same song over and over again made it familiar and soothing.  From what I've seen/experienced with other babies, infants are pretty easily soothed by some rocking, swaddling, and shushing (mimics maternal heartbeat/digestion sounds).  There really isn't a scientific study on the difference between that and the song.  It made me feel like I was doing something, at least.
    DD definitely recognized DH's voice before other people's.  I have a very good friend/colleague with whom I used to have tea and knit on a weekly basis when I was pregnant with DD and I swear DD recognized her voice from a VERY early age. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Summer - it's adorable that your DH reads to your baby at night.  That makes me want to cry a little!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Cici, lol, that might look a little strange, but seriously, if you talk some throughout the day, the baby won't know the difference between that and if you say things like how excited you are to meet her.  I think she'll figure that out when she arrives. ;)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

[QUOTE]Summer - it's adorable that your DH reads to your baby at night.  That makes me want to cry a little!
    Posted by clc51510[/QUOTE]

It is pretty adorable :) When he's done he always asks if she moves and tries to feel her. Usually she stops as soon as he puts his hand on my belly...so sneaky!

On an unrelated note....I couldn't be happier that tomorrow is Friday. My feet are back to KILLING me all day every day now that I'm back to work...I just got a pedicure on Saturday so I don't want to soak them and ruin it :(   Plus my shower is on Sunday...I'm getting so antsy!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Just working my way through the posts...

Summer - how did you like Wentworth By The Sea?  I've always wanted to stay there, but was too afraid that it wouldn't measure up to my expectations (and the price...)  Did you like it?

Liz - glad you're doing better. :)

CLC - sorry about the spotting and hope everything is stress-free from here out!

Ok, back to catching up...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Kar and Lissa - where can I learn to knit?  Can I learn online, or is it something better learned by an actual physically-present teacher?  I really would like to learn.

Lissa and CLC - I am a UMASS alum as well. :)  Although I didn't love it.  I think my favorite part of my 3 years there was Northampton.  And going abroad to England my sr. year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Summer - our LO would stop moving as soon as DH put his hand on my stomach too.  I found it was usually because I started talking to tell DH where to put his hand which seems to quiet him or her down.  Now I will just point to where he should put his hand and he can usually catch the movement.  Something that might be worth trying!

I finally packed the hospital bag last night.  It's a huge relief to have it done even though we have another 6 weeks until I'm actually due.

A few things that I've been curious about but are totally unrelated...
    (1) is anyone planning on bringing their Boppy to the hospital? I wasn't but my cousin said hers was the most important thing she brought along.  I guess I could stick it in the car and if I feel like I need it ask someone to get it for me.

(2) Have you all starting thinking about making/changing investment decisions now that your LO is on the way? I think I'm nesting and this is one of the way's that it's manifesting itself but I can't stop thinking about how DH and I are doing a lot of saving but not actually doing anything with those savings (besides having them collect minimal interest in our bank account). We plan on starting a 529 plan as soon as the LO is born and we have our 401k's but that's about it. Just curious if others are making any changes!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Call The Money Show on a Sunday morning if you're up.  They give excellent financial advice and answer a lot of family oriented questions and it's free!   PS: You can give a fake name and town when you call in, they don't mind.   http://www.969bostontalks.com/on-air/moneyshow2.aspx

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

[QUOTE]
    (1) is anyone planning on bringing their Boppy to the hospital? I wasn't but my cousin said hers was the most important thing she brought along.  I guess I could stick it in the car and if I feel like I need it ask someone to get it for me. (2) Have you all starting thinking about making/changing investment decisions now that your LO is on the way? I think I'm nesting and this is one of the way's that it's manifesting itself but I can't stop thinking about how DH and I are doing a lot of saving but not actually doing anything with those savings (besides having them collect minimal interest in our bank account). We plan on starting a 529 plan as soon as the LO is born and we have our 401k's but that's about it. Just curious if others are making any changes!
    Posted by clc51510[/QUOTE]

1) Yes! I brought my "Brest Friend" pilllow both times. Makes feedings, especially as your getting the hang of it, so much easier. (Positioning is really important as you're learning how to BF.) Hospital pillows are thin and floppy. Yuck.

2) First and foremost should be getting life insurance on both you and your DH if you do not already have it. You want to have enough to cover the cost of your mortgage plus enough to cover child care should anything happen to one or both of you. (Just as a guide, I carry $1 million in 30-year level term.) Secondly, you should be maxing out your retirement savings before you fund a college savings fund (the usual quote is 15-20% GROSS). The harsh reality is that there are no loans available for retirement while there are for college. You'd be putting your children in a much worse financial spot if they had to care for elderly parents (who neglected their retirement savings) for 15-20 years rather than taking out loans for college.  Also, get all your papers in place--will, health proxy, etc. It's not fun, but really, really important. Finally, I agree with dog-lady. The Money Show is great.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

I did not bring the boppy - I was one of those few who did not find it as helpful (I used My Brest Friend more - the Boppy was used at home to sit on to take pressure off my stitches, and came in handy too for tummy time/sitting up)... but you can just have it in the car. I recall being overwhelmed with trying to understand just the basics of nursing that I am not sure if having to figure out a pillow would help, but that is just me. We did have stuff in the car that we left there for labor/delivery and then DH would go and get when I was in postpartum room, so it is not a bad idea to have it accessible.

Investing, as doglady said, it is a good idea to talk to financial planner. We definitely worked out changes to our investing for DS and will do the same for when #2 comes. But we did make sure that we kept up with retirement savings... you want to talk to a planner, but you need to remember to think about your own futures too.

That is great, that you are able to get DH to feel the baby movements :)

Summer, that is great that your DH reads to the baby :) now that I am pregnant with #2, I do try to be close by when DH reads to DS at night so that #2 can listen to both of them.

I still do not understand how well they can hear us on the outside if they have so much noise they listen to like our internal digestion, heartbeat etc already... I still wonder how easily they pick up our regular voices over all the other noises.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

Just saw kiwigal's post. I would also second what she wrote, especially a will... especially if you are like us, and have certain scenarios that you don't want to happen if something happens to you/DH (we have very specific family members we do not want to ever take custody of our children). We met with a lawyer who specialized in this type of situation and helped us provision the will for custody and how our assets would be handled so that they would be still with the children if something happened to us.

Life insurance is important too, and easier to get too when you are younger than when you are older.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

If you decide to call The Money Show  you'll have the best results if you have all your info in front of you,   such as: annual income for both of you, mortgage/rate, what you owe and current value of property,  your IRA distributions,  ? pensions, life insurance etc.   http://www.969bostontalks.com/on-air/moneyshow2.aspx

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I agree - they ask TONS of questions about your entire financial picture, and if you don't have the answers right there at your fingertips they do the best they can, but it reduces how specific they can be with their solutions/suggestions for you, and they move pretty quickly on to the next caller.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Sooo how do you go about finding a financial planner?

CLC - I didn't bring the boppy, but I think having it in the car is a good plan.  In the hospital, I had a nest of pillows and rolled up receiving blankets for every feeding.  After the hospital, it wasn't much different!  I felt too confined in the brest friend (you strap it on).  The boppy I found useful a few months later, when the baby was bigger.  But everyone is different!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

The thing with financial planners is that most are either fee-only or commission-based. As the name implies, commission-based planners make their living by selling you particular products. So, they could very well be biased in the recommendations. Many people say to seek a fee-only planner. The rub there is that they often require VERY large portfolios to work on a fee-only basis.

The Best Money Show website has some recommendations (bestmoneyinfo.com). Also, one of their hosts, Susan Kaplan, is a widely recognized guru. If you can get free advice by spending a few minutes on the phone, why not try that first?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

[QUOTE]Kar and Lissa - where can I learn to knit?  Can I learn online, or is it something better learned by an actual physically-present teacher?  I really would like to learn.
    Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]

A friend taught me, but I know there are plenty of tutorials online.  There are also a lot of books with pictures, but those are probably not as useful as online videos.  I really liked having someone teach me.  She could answer my questions and model according to what I needed.  Also, the truth is there are a LOT of ways to hold knitting needles and if you're working with an online tutorial it's only going to give you one or two options.
    Of course, the online tutorials are pretty good and might be better than someone trying to teach you, depending on the instructor.  For example, my sister knits and she tried to teach me years ago but she is left handed and, even worse, and accountant and a brilliant, mathematically minded-person.  She is not a teacher at heart.  She basically (with everything in life) can explain something one way (more likely, give you the answer) and not be able to tailor her instruction to your needs or understand why you don't understand something that seems obvious to her.  So when she tried to teach me, it didn't work.  She couldn't use words to explain it and I couldn't watch what she did and mimic it because she holds her needles in a weird way. 

I know a lot of specialty knitting stores have staff who are thrilled to troubleshoot specific patterns (sometimes reading the abbreviations is difficult) but I"m not sure about teaching from scratch.  I also know that places like the Y and other continuing education centers sometimes run classes you can sign up for.
    If you're looking for a book with good pictures AND great written explanation, "Stitch and B1tch" is great.  You can get it from the library or buy it. I still use mine as a reference when I need help on a more complicated technique or can't figure out an abbreviation in a pattern.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

[QUOTE] Summer - how did you like Wentworth By The Sea?  I've always wanted to stay there, but was too afraid that it wouldn't measure up to my expectations (and the price...)  Did you like it?
    Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]

DH and I both enjoyed it. The only issue is that we didn't find a ton to do in Portsmouth (wanted to go to the Strawbery Banke museum but it wasn't open for the season yet). That being said, we weren't bored- we went to Kittery and York and downtown Portsmouth. It is a lovely hotel, and we had a package that included breakfast and spa treatments, so it was a good value.

That being said, we both like the Omni Mt. Washington much, much better. The Mt. Wash. hotel is comparable in price, but has sooo many more amenities, much larger hotel, activities going on around the hotel itself, and a superb view! So we won't go back to Wentworth- if we're spending the money we found Mt Wash. to be soooo much more for our dollar. It's nearly identical in terms of decor, "fanciness", and overall feel.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fram, I did Ameriprise Financial - BAD IDEA.  Ended up getting my $500 back, but it was a pita.  I felt like a fool.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

I think it's very important to have a will, insurance, updated beneficiaries, etc. I wonder if it would be possible to find a competent CPA rather than going to a regular financial planner? Some CPA's are also lawyers and/or CFP's. They may be able to help you with some planning strategies and give you advice on what type of accounts you want and how much to put into them, what type of documents you need, etc. I used to work in CPA firms and some former colleagues I would absolutely go to before any Ameriprise type place. You would probably want to look into smaller CPA firms or sole proprietors rather than a large firm. Personally, I'm rather comfortable with the financial aspect so we will probably just look for a lawyer to draft up a will. Any recommendations? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Thanks all!  Cici - I actually am a CPA.  I know what my options are I just haven't done anything about them yet.  For the first time in our lives we are saving to save rather than for a big expense (e.g., wedding and house).  I guess I need to start thinking about making a long term plan.  I did talk to DH about us getting life insurance and creating a will so that's something we will work on this summer.

Summer - how was the shower? I hope you had a great time!

AFM, I slept through the night last night 9:30 pm - 5:45 am.  Amazing!  I think that's happened a total for 5 times throughout my pregnancy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

I'm an attorney at a smaller firm and we do a lot of basic estate planning for young couples.  Typically, we charge about $1,000 to prepare a simple will, health care proxy and a few related documents.  The process consists of the client filling out a worksheet where they will compile information that will be used in drafting the will (ie listing of assets, both liquid and non-liquid, naming a guardian and trustee for the children etc.).  Once we receive the completed form, we will draft up the documents, and then have them sent in draft form to the client(s) for their review/approval.  Once the documents are finalized, we have the client(s) come to our office to sign the will and other docs.  The signing has to take place before a notary and two witnseses.   That's it!  The couple is free to make any changes to the will (called codicils) at any point.   We usually recommend that a couple pick a guardian for the children that is appropriate now, and if they ever choose to change the guardian in the future, that they just call us back and we can make the change and arrange for a signing of the new will (codicil) for a nominal fee.    I'd just call around to a few localized attorneys offices and see if they do this sort of work - the smaller firms are likely to be the cheapest and, unless you have substantial assets, complicated stock arrangemetns involving many other families etc., it's pretty simple to draft up these documents in a short timeframe.

AFM - I noticed a dime-sized bump on the surface of my belly, about 5 inches below my belly button (but well above my p*bic line).  It's red, looks sort of like a mosquito bite but doesn't itch at all, and is tender when pressed in.  It's not pussing at all as of now.  Normally, I'd take a wait and see approach - maybe it's an ingrown hair? or some other skin infection? - but wondering if I should be more worried and/or aggressive in seeking a medical opinion because I"m pregant.  I have been feeling the baby move as normal, just wondering if it is some sort of skin infection or bacteria if I can pass it along to the baby.  Anyone else deal with this sort of thing? My plan is to call the nurse hotline at my OB's office and see what they say - I'm sort of expecting that they will tell me to call my primary care doc who may refer me to a dermatologist but I figure the first call is to the OB, mainly because they know me the best and, as I said, my main concern is whether this type of issue could impact the baby. 

Anyone have any advice/thoughts?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Rama - from your description I think it sounds like an ingrown hair or pimple.  You could try a warm compress to see if you can draw it to a head. If it does come to a head then I wouldn't worry about calling anyone. If it doesn't I would call the OB's office just to be safe.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

clc - For some reason I thought you were a teacher. Not sure where I got that from. I am right there with you, knowing the options but not doing anything yet. Personally, I prefer to do the research myself and figure out with DH what is best for us rather than relying on someone that may not necessarily know much more than me and is looking to make as much money off of me as possible. Although with legal documents and such I would definitely rely on a professional.

Rama - Thanks for the info! That is really helpful to get an idea of what we need and how much to expect to pay. As far as the bump, I really have no idea but it sounds big enough that I would call the doctor's office if it didn't improve after a day or two. I've never had an ingrown hair make a dime sized bump but that could just be me.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Cici - my DH is a teacher, so you're half right!  I work at an airline in their accounting department but before this I was with one of the Big 4 and got my CPA.