April Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: April Pregnancy

clc, I've never been so happy for someone who just got diagnosed with a UTI! :)  

(If you do tend to get them, I've had fabulous luck with 100% pure cranberry juice, 4 oz morning and night.  I get mine at Trader Joe's.  I used to get UTIs all the time, and since I started this, none.)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

finally caught up!  Like summer, swamped at work and internet time impossible at home with DD and DH wanting so much attention. :)

Summer - congrats on your girl!

CLC - how scary, but glad that it's "just" a UTI and hope it clears up soon!

Liz - I posted back on teh March updates, but now I see you have already taken care of everything.  Good for you and I hope you're starting to feel better.  Have fun at Mohegan!

AFM, I can barely remember I am pregnant, just no time.  We finally found a house and had an offer accepted (have been living with in-laws for 6 months) and we'll move end of June/early July, so that gives us... yeah, about a month to get settled before baby boy comes.  Yikes.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Congratulations on the new house, Poppy!  I'm sure it will be stressful at the time when you're moving but I have a feeling all of your lives will improve dramatically when you're in your own space!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats, poppy!  Did you see I would have bought you a house if we'd won the 650 million bucks?  I know you appreciated their opening their home to you, but you must be so ecstatic!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Hi everyone.  Not pregnant (yet), but lurking just the same.

CLC - so glad that everything turned out okay.  I had spotting at 33 weeks and didn't think much of it.  Turns out I was in pre-term labor and didn't even know it yet.   My doc sent me to the hospital too and I was admitted - and my little premie DD was born the next day even with the team of docs trying to stop my labor!  I'm really glad you got it checked and would advise anyone to always call.  Better to be on the safe side.  There can be so many reasons for spotting and it is better to be proactive about it. 

Congrats on finding a house poppy!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Thanks, ladies!  No, Kar, I must have missed that, haha!  You are too funny!  I'm sorry you didn't win (not *just* for that reason...) ;)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: April Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE]Thanks, ladies!  No, Kar, I must have missed that, haha!  You are too funny!  I'm sorry you didn't win (not *just* for that reason...) ;)
    Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]

Suuuuuuure. ;)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Yay, Poppy!!!  That is fantastic.
    Winter, congratulations on the girl!  Have you considered light aqua or light orange for the room??  We ended up going with light aqua for DD (because our kitchen was already light orange) and I love it.  It feels like the beach in there all the time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LCGCmomma. Show LCGCmomma's posts

Glad to hear so much good news as people get closer to delivery!

For pediatricians, with my DS we didn't really do a lot of searching or interviewing peds, etc. We had friends that used the peds group where my PCP's office is (I had also gone to that peds group when I was little), so we just decided to go with it. WHAT A BAD MOVE! I sooooo wish wish wish that I had looked into it more and asked the questions mentioned above. Some of the biggest problems we had were with #1 - general attitude of the practice/provider, #2 - hours that you can be seen, especially for urgent care, and #3 - this was the big one for us - response time for if you have to call with a question/concern. Especially as a first-time-mom, I would really at least visit the practice and ask questions before just going for someone. I would also not hesitate to change docs later on if you aren't fully satisfied. We ended up changing by DS's 1 month visit and have never been happier. He had a couple of health concerns that our 1st ped blew off and that we would still be struggling with now if we hadn't switched. I could have kicked myself for not asking more questions or really checking out the peds practice first, though!

AFM I am now 14 wks with preg #2. I have felt COMPLETELY different this time around. Much more tired and bad morning (or anytime) sickness. Some of the tired comes from having a 16 month old to run around after. But really, not more than two days in a row go by without me needing more Zofran. It hasn't seemed to slow down any, despite me getting now to the end of the first trimester. My fingers are crossed that I will start to feel better soon, but I really don't know at this point. I keep trying to remind myself that in the end this LO will be worth it, but it doesn't always work!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

clc - you must be so relieved that everything is ok! Hope the uti clears up soon.

Poppy - congrats on the house! What a relief it will be to finally have a place of your own.

Winter - congratulations on the girl! I love the light aqua idea that medford mentioned. Maybe you can look at gender neutral decor to avoid all the pink?

Summer (or anyone wanting to weigh in) - how much do maternity sessions usually cost? Our wedding photographer will do a maternity session only if you plan to have newborn photos done too. Seems that each session would wind up costing around $1,000. I had no idea it was that expensive!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Cici - Lindsey Light does maternity and newborn photos.  She did DD's photos in November 2010 and her session was $150 and that included the 1-hourish (I think she stayed longer) photo session, online galleries, and CD of images in both color & black/white.  Her prices may have increased since then, but are probably still very reasonable, and I'm imagining there probably isn't much price difference between newborn and maternity sessions?  We loved the infant photos of our DD and I'm hoping to have her do DS's when he arrives in August.  The only thing is she doesn't have a studio, so you need to pick a place for the photos.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

@cici-  our first photographer was going to charge us $250 for a studio session and 5 digital files.

Since that was a bust, the new person I spoke with today and booked a session with for early May is charging $150 for an hour session and a CD with all the photos she takes. The only downside is she doesn't have a studio, so she's going to do some research for us and find a local park.

I think the cost varies widely depending on where the photog is based and what is included.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Poppy & Summer, thanks that's helpful. Our photographer's session fees are comparable but only include a limited online gallery - you get NO photos. CD's start at $500 on top of the $150-$250 sitting fee. Per her website, the average cost for these types are $900 - $1500. I think that's a lot, especially when you would have to do it twice! For that reason alone, I am not recommending her, but if those prices do not seem outrageous to anyone else I'd be happy to pass along her name.
    She has more than doubled the price of her wedding package since our wedding less than two years ago. I think I'm in the wrong profession!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

So I was just perusing our registry, and noticed that for some reason we have fitted sheets, a crib mattress pad, and an ultimate crib sheet on it. Our mattress is currently "naked"- so what exactly should we put on it?

If we use a mattress pad underneath, then the fitted sheet, then the ultimate crib sheet- is that overkill? Would it be better to do just a mattress pad, fitted sheet, and then a sheet saver?

What do you plan on doing? If you already have kids, what did you use?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Summer - what's the difference between a fitted sheet and an ultimate crib sheet?

We registered for a mattress, mattress pad and several fitted sheets.  Is there any reason to get more than one mattress pad?  I hadn't considered that before but now it might make sense if one is in the wash.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Get two mattress pads - they are the barrier between the sheet and the mattress that protects the mattress from getting wet, but the top of them get wet if the baby's diaper leaks or they throw up, drool, whatever.  It will need to be washed whenever you wash the sheets leaving you with nothing to protect the mattress until the one you have is dry.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In Response to Re: April Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE]Summer - what's the difference between a fitted sheet and an ultimate crib sheet? We registered for a mattress, mattress pad and several fitted sheets.  Is there any reason to get more than one mattress pad?  I hadn't considered that before but now it might make sense if one is in the wash.
    Posted by clc51510[/QUOTE]

This is the ultimate crib sheet:
    http://www.buybuybaby.com/product.asp?SKU=16759546&

Basically it goes on top of your fitted sheet, and is much more easily removed to be thrown in the wash. If there's an accident, you only need to remove this and put on a new one, instead of taking off the fitted sheet (which my understanding is can be difficult because you have to lift the mattress, etc.)

You definitely need something to go on top of your fitted sheet, unless you wan to be washing them every time there's a "woops". Someone recommended sheet savers to me, I think I might just go with them.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I've only ever used a fitted sheet + mattress pad (DD 17 months old).  Maybe we're unique, but the worst we've ever had is DD's pj's being a little damp in the morning, so I'll throw on a new sheet.  Oh, and one instance of vomiting but we were actually in a hotel for that and she was in her pack-n-play. 

Also, some mattresses (like ours) are waterproof/water-resistant so there's no harm if they get wet.  I do still use the mattress pad, but when it's in the laundry I just use a fitted sheet and we've never had an issue. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Ditto what poppy said exactly. I think you need 3-4 fitted sheets and one mattress pad. The crib mattress is waterproof but we've never even had any stains on it, including one throw up bug and more than a few leaky diapers. We swaddled DDninitially and then shenworsena sleep sack which provide another layernofmprotection if the diaper leaks, but, really, it's not been an issue. But both Poppy and I have girls, maybe boys are more leaky?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Summer... glad you found a photog ... for anyone else ... We used Corey Fitzgerald.  He had a studio in Hubbardston (sort of out there for most people, but we are in Worcester)  He has a "parenthood package" that includes maternity, newborn, when baby is sitting, when baby is standing, and 2yr bday for $1500  and includes several prints from each session and a book at the end.  I also tend to buy the digital files which are $125 for the whole session.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Good morning, hope everyone had a nice holiday weekend.  I need some sleep advice.  The past few nights I've had an awful time sleeping.  My back aches when I get up in the morning and I toss and turn all night.  I've been sleeping with the Mini Snoogle and it was working well until a few nights ago.  Last night I tried a pillow between my knees and a folded towel under my belly to reduce the strain on my back.  It was definitely more comfortable than the past few nights of sleep but I'm still waking up several times and sore in the morning.  Anything else out there that I should be trying?  I'm definitely more comfortable sleeping on my couch but I want to keep that as a last resort.  I really don't want to have to do that for 2 months!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

CLC, I don't have a lot of advice, but I do have sympathy. I had two terrible night's sleep this past weekend due to some pain in my back/hip, and I'm only 22 weeks along, ugh!!  I remember from last time I was pregnant that I ended up having to prop myself up with a ton of pillows and sleep more upright towards the end (due to heartburn), maybe give that a try to alleviate the pain in your back?  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Thank you for the pedi advice!  There were some questions mentioned that I should ask and had not thought about!  I also asked some friends about their pedi and 2 friends said they really liked this one doctor.  So I called and they are not taking new patients at this time.  Maybe they will when it gets closer to July. 

In regards to the bedding, I was thinking about using the mattress, mattress pad and fitted sheets.  I hadnt heard of the ultimate crib sheet but Im going to look into it. So thanks for bringing it to my attention!

CLC - I also am not much help in the sleeping department.  I wake up several time a night and am awake for atleast an hour on some nights.  I also wake up and my hands are "asleep" with pins and needles. 

DH got to feel the baby kick this morning for the first time.  So exciting!  He has been trying to feel LO for a couple of weeks but the baby always stops moving! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Just wanted to post about the sheets discussion. I would definitely have 2 mattress pads on hand, plus several fitted sheets. This weekend my 17 mth threw up so much that it went through fitted AND mattress pad. Yes, mattress is plastic coated so just needed a quick wipe down thank goodness. But it was 11pm so I needed to remake the bed immediately. I did not have an extra mattress pad so had to use just the fitted sheet...and on top of plastic, well, DS sweated ridiculously. (BTW, if they use a binky, have an extra, same with blanket and/or lovey if possible. Everything was covered and needed to go in the wash and he took the backup binky and lovey like a champ!) As for changing the mattresses. It is by no means a picnic, and probably could easily break a nail, but it's not too bad and you'll get the hang of it pretty quick. I wanted DS back in bed ASAP and I did the whole remake in about a minute. That ultimate sheet is probably nice, but not a necessity. The biggest trick for me is just taking the whole mattress out and perching diagonal across the crib. It's super light weight and then just pull those sheets with all your might :-)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

clc--how far along are you?

I hate to say it, but around 30/32 weeks sleeps gets more difficult and more sporadic.  It seems like the only mornigns I didn't wake up with various aches and pains were mornings I had slept restlessly and had gotten up 5 times to go to the bathroom. 

I would recommend doing some stretches (cat/cow and child's pose) before bed and in the morning.  The lots of pillows thing usually works--you might find success with a few extra pillows to supplement the snoogli. 

Good luck! I'm in the same boat.  I've been having lots of trouble with leg cramps at night, no matter how hydrated I've been, and I"m waking up with sore muscles from the cramps being so tight. 

Sections
Shortcuts