April Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Re: April Pregnancy

Oh, LIL, that would be incredible!  BTW, I can't believe you're 36 weeks already!  Time definitely flies.  I feel like the whole pregnancy for me is going by so much faster than when I was pregnant with DD...probably because I'm running around after DD, rather than focusing on myself. 

Anyone else facing a summer with weddings and other social events they're dreading?  We have two weddings this summer, one end of June, one end of July, and I am not looking forward to them.  Between finding something to wear, likely not really wanting to dance, not able to have a couple of drinks, and the thought of having to stay up after 10, I'm already dreading them! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Ugh, weddings.
    I have a wedding this weekend.  I really wanted to find a dress that was flattering, not too expensive, and NOT jersey/tshirt material.  I gave up and got a very cute dress at the Gap that was flattering, not too expensive, on sale for 30% off, and jersey/tshirt material.  I guess I'll wear it to work with a cardigan after the wedding.  I got glittery flats and a pretty scarf and I'm going to attempt to feel less than epically huge at the wedding.  I will definitely dance.  My sisters and cousins will dance and it will be very fun.  Slow dancing, probably not quite as romantic as sitting at a table and getting a foot rub. I'm trying to stay positive (30% off the dress and I'll wear it a bunch in real life!, for example).
    The great thing is, the food will be good and it will be nice to be out with DH without DD.  Maybe I can get him to "drink for 3 (himself, me, and the baby)" and take advantage of him later.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Luv - congrats on the great doctor's visit!

I will have some wedding drama to contend with this fall. First, DH's good friend is getting married locally one week after my due date. I obviously will not be going either way but I really hate for DH to miss it so I'm not sure how he will handle it. Unless I'm in active labor I think he should go, but how would we know by their RSVP deadline?
    Then DH's cousin is getting married a month after my due date, about 2 hours away. If the baby is late he or she could only be a couple weeks old. It would be easiest for DH to go by himself but everyone would be so mad because it's a big weekend affair and his whole family will expect to see the baby.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Cici - maybe DH can be honest with the friend and see what the friend and his fiancee would prefer he do: not come, or rsvp yes with an asterisk (in case at the last minute he can't go).  As far as the second wedding, my opinion is scr*w everyone's expectations and do what is comfortable for you and the baby.  Also, your pedi will likely tell you the baby shouldn't be around any large crowds for 3 months.  I enjoyed using this excuse when DD was born.  Got me out of some events I wasn't thrilled at the prospect of attending.  ;)  Plus, you never know what the birth will be like.  I didn't plan on a c-section, but that's what I had, and DD was 9 days late.  There would have been no way I could have physically attended a wedding a month after my due date.  Plus, if you nurse there's a whole other curve ball...  Sorry, too much opinion?  I just get all fired up when people expect BRAND new parents to bend to their expectations.

We have my cousin's wedding (only the second wedding in my family after mine!) 2 months after my due date.  I really want to go but am wondering logistically how that will work, with nursing (if I can do that again this time) and recovering from the c-section (which will likely be fine after 2 months, but you never know).  Then there's the whole dress scenario...

Lissa - glad you found a dress you like and can wear again! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Last time I was pregnant we had weddings the same two weekends, but I was about 2 months less pregnant.  The thought of being 8 months pregnant for an outdoor wedding in dead of summer is so not appealing!!

I've got a plain black dress that is my backup...sleeveless, wide straps, v-neck...can dress it up with bright jewelry and a pashmina.  Like you, lissa, I really don't want to spend any real money on the dresses, but if I'm going to get dressed up, I want to feel nice.  DH is best man in one of the weddings, so I'll be next to him in his tux! 

I think for both of you who are worried about timing, that's when you call the bride/groom and have the conversation - I really want to come, but can't commit, since I don't know what the baby will do; can you put me in as a tentative yes, and tell me the last possible date I can confirm???  I know we had to have a tentative number for our wedding well in advance, but didn't give the final-final count until that week. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I totally agree with luv.  Just call and let them know they should call you for the final count and to get your food choice.  It shouldn't be a big deal unless you just don't rsvp on time without saying anything.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Is it true that they tell you your baby can't be around large crowds before 3 months? My son's baptism was 8 weeks after he was born.  And we had a pretty big party.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

What Luv and Kar said is what I meant re: weddings.  Sort of got lost in my rantish post.

Winter - that's what mine said.  Not sure if all say that?  Said the immune system can't fight off germs yet so fevers, etc., pose a big risk.

LIL - ditto what Luv said - can't believe you're 36 weeks!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

We also have 2 wedding this summer. One is 11 days before my due date.  We sent back the RSVP with an *baby is due 7/18.  And the other isnt until mid Sept.  so we should be fine with that one.  It should be fun trying to find a dress for the July wedding :)

Also my sister is pregnant and I will have to host a baby shower for her early Sept. so I hoping the baby comes on time.  Im going try and get everything that I can done before my baby comes.  Im kinda freaking out about it a little.  She wanted me to have it the last weekend in August but I told her that I did not feel comfortable with being a new, first time mom.  So it is the 2nd weekend in Sept!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I come from old school Catholic stock..where you get your baby baptized right away. So 8 weeks it was. Maybe it's changed in 11 years. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter, not sure how recently this has been determined, but before 3 months newborns' immune systems are not functioning at a safe enough capacity to expose them to a lot of (potentially contagious) people.  Breastfeeding passes immunity/antibodies from the mother to baby so that helps, but even then it's not advised before 3 months.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I understood what poppy was saying, but I think it's more common now then 11 years ago. Everyone that I knew that had kids when I did, had their babies out at larger parties/functions before 3 months.  My son went to the Topsfield Fair about 3 weeks after he was born. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Thanks for the tips on the wedding. Poppy, I totally agree with you about how frustrating it is to have these expectations so soon after birth. The kicker is that we wouldn't even be able to bring the baby to the wedding so I'd probably have to sit in the hotel room all night with the baby while everyone else is at the wedding. The important thing is that certain relatives from out of the area get to see the baby while they are visiting, so I'm hoping we can make some sort of compromise.  Now I understand why some people try to plan TTC around weddings and such events!

Pugs - My friend's shower was co-hosted by her friend that had given birth just a couple weeks earlier. I thought she was insane but she acted like it was no big deal. Either way, it's a lot of work to host something with a newborn!

ETA: I didn't know about the 3 month rule. I saw a 3 DAY old in a particularly nasty Wal-Mart one time!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Winter - Thinking about it, I do think it must be somewhat recent.  I am one of the last of my friends to have kids, and I remember also going to baptisms/christenings when their babies were itty-bitty.  Now I'm getting invites to those events when the baby is anywhere up to 2 years old!  Interesting.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I didn't see poppy's answer before I posted, Winter, no offense meant in restating the issue.  

I think it's always been that way, but now that we know more about their immune systems being deficient in those first 3 months it's not advised to take them out in big crowds that early.  People always have, still do, and probably always will.  Many babies will be no worse for wear for it like your DS, thankfully, and you didn't do anything wrong - no one had an inkling 11 years ago that babies' immune systems are sub-par at that age.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I think the "rule" is more of a gloriously acceptable excuse for not going.  If it were a wedding you REALLY wanted to go to you'd probably feel differently. 
    Do what makes you comfortable.  My DH's brother got married when DD was 4 weeks old.  My SIL originally didn't want ANY kids at the wedding at all.  My MIL made a big stink about it--I felt bad because I could have easily skipped it and not felt left out.  DH's other brother had a 5-month-old at the time.  Other SIL and I stood in the back of the ceremony, ready to escape if the babies made any noise (what the bride was worried about), but of course they both slept the whole time.

If you are nursing, be advised: dancing the Horah will make you leak like there's no tomorrow.  I had brought an extra bra, fortunately, since I leaked through my breast pads in just one circle around the bride and groom.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

I can tell you that babies are probably much more at risk from their older siblings and well-meaning relativees then being in a crowd.  Just minimize contact if you need to go.  My sister adopted so of course she had to bring her 2 few day old infants on a plane. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We now know it takes 3 months for their immune systems to be developed enough to protect them from germs.  Where and how babies under 3 months get exposed to germs during that less protected time may or may not be all under parents' control whether it's friends and family who drop in or random people in a large crowd sneezing or coughing nearby.  It's just information we didn't have before - what we do with it is up to each family and their needs and circumstances.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Kar - I am not sure what the new information you are referring to but would be interested in knowing specifically if there was some study or something.

One of the biggest issues in the 0-3 month is that there is an algorithm for fevers.  So if you are less than 28 days with a temp of 100.4 you automatically get urine, blood and a lumbar puncture.  It is less set in stone for 28-90 days.  The problem is in the these little guys it is impossible to tell if they are "sick" or "not sick".  After 3 months it becomes much easier and we can rely more on clinical judgement.

Additionally, the neonates are more likely to get a maternally derived infection such as group b strep.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

LIL, you are reminding me of when DD was a very little.... She had a raging fever but had just made it over my pedi's threshold for age in terms for automatically requiring a spinal tap.  Having her get blood drawn and cathed for a urine sample was bad enough at that age.  The staff at my pedi's was so awesome... I don't know how they do it!
    My pedi never put many restrictions in terms of taking baby out except avoid malls/large crowds and no passing around too much at parties without lots of handwashing. It's a common recommendation down here to bring your newborn back weekly or even daily to the hospital for the lactation group at SSH.  Talk about places you can pick up germs, trotting around the hospital in and out of elevators!  That one was hard to digest in the middle of the winter after my first, but I did it b/c the LC help was awesome.
    I always thought the prevailing wisdom was to be cautious during the first 6 weeks in general, with lots of handwashing, avoiding crowds, etc. b/c of lack of immunization shots until 6 weeks?  That's why 6 weeks is the starting cut off for daycare (not that I could fathom anything earlier than that to begin with.  6 seems hard enough!)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

MM - yes when DD was 2 months she had a temp to 103 - interestingly never since and had to get the catheter and blood culture.  My experience is you are just much better off doing it and making sure everything is ok. 

The first real round of immunizaitons are at 2 months.
    The whole reason for the blood culture is that infants can be well-appearing and have a particular bacteria in their blood (strep pneumo).  Now that we immunize for this we stopped doing blood cultures after the first 3 doses (by age 6 months).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: April Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE]Kar - I am not sure what the new information you are referring to but would be interested in knowing specifically if there was some study or something. One of the biggest issues in the 0-3 month is that there is an algorithm for fevers.  So if you are less than 28 days with a temp of 100.4 you automatically get urine, blood and a lumbar puncture.  It is less set in stone for 28-90 days.  The problem is in the these little guys it is impossible to tell if they are "sick" or "not sick".  After 3 months it becomes much easier and we can rely more on clinical judgement. Additionally, the neonates are more likely to get a maternally derived infection such as group b strep.
    Posted by luckinlife[/QUOTE]

I don't have access to a specific study, but there's a plethera of sources like the one below that say babies' immune systems start developing their own antibodies at age 2 - 3 months, and those I've known who have had babies in the last couple of years were advised by their pedis because of this to keep exposure (even to family) limited before then.  We didn't always know that babies do not produce their own antibodies against infection as soon as they are born.  I have a friend with a 20 year old - no one said anything about that to her.  So, sometime in the last 20 years is "recent" imo, although, what's recent keeps getting longer ago the older I get, lol.

A child’s immune system will start to develop on its own at about 2-3 months of age. At this point the antibodies that mother has conferred start to decline. A baby’s immune system begins to grow and develop when it comes into contact with bacteria, viruses and fungi and can wage an attack against them. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from peppypeep. Show peppypeep's posts

I am a new Mom and I started a website to help other new Moms. It is a resource for new Moms to share helpful hints, get reliable news, info and support.

My website is www.NetworkforMoms.org 

Luckily, my website was plugged in a local online magazine in Boston and they used the picture of my daughter and me for the cover. The article is here:

http://backbay.patch.com/articles/space-starved-families-head-to-the-pru

I encourage Moms, or friends of new Moms, to visit my website. I hope it helps! :)

Joy E.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Well the LO decided to give us another little scary on Friday.  More spotting and another trip to the hospital for a non-stress test.  Things checked out fine again and I have an appointment tomorrow with the OB.  I'll be 34 weeks on Thursday and really need the LO to stay put for a few more weeks.

This trip to the hospital did give us the push we need to get everything ready for the LO's arrival.  We bought all of the stuff we will be needing for hospital and now just need to physically pack the bag(s).  Also, we went and finished up our registry at BBB and have started to get everything organized and I spent Saturday washing all of the clothes. The final big thing is getting the car seat installed at the fire department.

Now if I could just get everything wrapped up at work...

Liz - thinking of you, hope all is going well!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Hey all,

CLC, I'm glad everything is ok, only 6 more weeks to go!

I have not read through all of the posts yet, but I am just letting everyone know, I am doing well. I still have some hard days, but much better than 2 weeks ago. The therapy is really helping and I am so glad I was recommended to this woman.

I will update more, but just wanted to pop in and say hi.