August 2012 pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: August 2012 pregnancy

37 weeks is consider full term so a baby born at that time should not have a lot of issues. 40 weeks is an average, not a "perfect" gestation time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

In Response to Re: August 2012 pregnancy:
    [QUOTE]37 weeks is consider full term so a baby born at that time should not have a lot of issues. 40 weeks is an average, not a "perfect" gestation time.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

I mean problems that could be the cause of the small size. I have no risk factors for IUGR so the only other thing I've seen on the list of causes is chromosomal factors. The testing in the second trimester showed really low risk for the disorders they test for so I'm hoping it's just a fluke.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Chromosomal problems are always a risk, but try not to worry - tons more babies on the small side are perfectly healthy than not.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Winter - CONGRATS!
    And I think I already wished Poppy congrats, but just in case - CONGRATS.
    Rama - same!!

I love hearing everyone's stories.  Thanks for sharing!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Rama, totally missed your big news, CONGRATS and best wishes as you juggle a newborn and lo. By the way, my BFF's triplets are two months old already, can you believe it? She's bf'ing three babies and potty training the 2 yo. Good thing she's a permanent sahm, right?!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

[QUOTE]Congrats, Winter, and good luck with these first few weeks of parenting to two.  I think we'll have to set up a separate thread/support group for all of us in the next few weeks!!!  :) Tomarra, sorry about the loss in your family; I can empathize on the little brother factor, since my little sister just left to move cross country this weekend.  It is tough, especially the timing!  Scary to think that I might be next on the list!  38 weeks today, and just back from my final growth ultrasound and all looked good.  Baby is head down, facing the right way, and estimated weight (even though I know it can be way off) is 6 lbs, 14 oz, which is 1.5 lbs bigger than DD was at birth.  So we are now officially just waiting for something to happen.
    Posted by luvRIboy[/QUOTE]

DD was exactly 6lbs 14oz at birth :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Just checking in...I'm still here, still at work, still hoping to be at work at least through Friday so I can finish stuff up.  I want to be here next week too, so I can do "important" things like design my boy and girl birth announcement options, clean my desk and be ready to leave feeling like everything is good to go.  BUT, there is definitely a lot more going on in there in the last day or so, so I'm not sure if something's happening.

What are people's thoughts on cervical checks?  I was offered one on Monday when I was at the perinatologist, but declined it.  I have my regular weekly app't with my MW tomorrow, and I'm fortunate that my practice doesn't usually offer checks until we hit 40 weeks and start to talk induction options.  At first I'd thought definitely no on the check, but given how I'm feeling today, I guess I'm starting to get a little curious? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

[QUOTE] What are people's thoughts on cervical checks?  I was offered one on Monday when I was at the perinatologist, but declined it.  I have my regular weekly app't with my MW tomorrow, and I'm fortunate that my practice doesn't usually offer checks until we hit 40 weeks and start to talk induction options.  At first I'd thought definitely no on the check, but given how I'm feeling today, I guess I'm starting to get a little curious? 
    Posted by luvRIboy[/QUOTE]

Lurking from over on the I&T boards...

Anyways, my OB office made it a point NOT to do them unless you were showing some signs of labor or possible impending labor. I was told I wouldn't have one until 40 weeks if I made it that far. At that appointment, the doctor I saw said it was optional, and I opted out. I figured it doesn't mean anything anyways, and I didn't want to make myself unnecessarily excited or disappointed. When I was 41 weeks I went for a BPP, and they still didn't do one even thought that time I asked. The doctor outright said she would not do it. So I was never checked until the morning of my induction at 41w2d, and I was 2cm.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Luv - tough call. Personally I do not want to get checked because I don't want another thing to overanalyze. However, if I were in your situation I think I might be too curious not to ask. Good luck with your appointment tomorrow. Can't wait to hear an update on what you decide. Hope your bp is cooperating too!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

luv- during my first pregnancy, no checks. and my water broke right away with induction, so I think that I only had two checks (and one is when the baby pushed the catheter out) during 48 hours of labor.

this time around, my doctor was really good about offering multiple checks. and i found it to be really helpful. I had been having regular contractions 8-10 minutes apart for several hours when I saw her for an outpatient visit, and knowing that i was 2cm was really helpful. she also was thorough about effacement and stations, which were helpful during labor (Especially as it kept stopping/slowing).  although it doesn't give you a definate time table on when the baby is coming, you don't go back!! I knew I had some time after the outpatient visit to take DS home and get the car loaded, but i wasn't sure given how long I had been contracting.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I really liked my practice's hands off approach in general.  They waited until ~39 weeks to do a cervical check and I was glad since it doesn't mean much.  I was <1 cm 24 hours before DD was born... But if offered the choice in the last couple weeks, I'd take it :o)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

I am going to take my chances and jump over to these boards!  I am only about 5.5 weeks pregnant at this point, so I hope I am not jumping the gun.  But, I am definitely feeling slightly different than I did for my 1st pregnancy.  A bit more nauseous (no actual morning sickness yet though....which I never had the first time, thank god), and a bit more crampy.  Otherwise, just very tired like I was with my first.  Very excited though and counting down the days to when I can actually go to the doctor and check in on the baby.  By my calcuation, due date would be 4/22.

Anyone else very early on in a pregnancy?  Did anyone have different symptoms in their second pregnancy?  Was it any indication of gender?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I love hearing about all of these OBs with no-check and late check policies; I have a couple of friends who were being checked as early as 36 weeks as a standard practice, and it seems like such a clinical/medical model.  I wonder: how many see midwives vs. just an OB?  I wonder if that makes a difference in their practice model. 

Anyway, I went this morning and talked to my MW about it.  She said she'd like to do a check at next week's app't (which will be 39 weeks, 3 days), just to get a sense of if/how things are moving and to give a baseline for next steps.  Also, based on the ultrasound from Monday and what she felt from an external exam today, baby is definitely in a good position for a VBAC, which is all I can ask for. 

We talked about timeline, and if I don't deliver by 40 weeks on my own and my blood pressure stays stable, they'll give me up to 41 weeks, only upping my NST's and app'ts to 2x a week (going once a week for those now), and then we'd make the induction/c-section decision. I LOVE how supportive they are of my desire to VBAC, and of holding off the c-section/induction decision to give my body some extra time. 

So it's back to the waiting game!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

Congrats, Poppy, Rama and Winter! Glad to hear all went well at the end... and I guess we will follow your progress on the I&T boards now, which I read (not as often as I like since I am 38 weeks and still working full time - with some long work weekends this month). I do have interest in reading the challenges with having 2 kids now, since we are still dreading that transition.

I am 38 weeks, and my doctor does do cervical checks each week now. I don't really find them that onerous and it allows for us to see how I stand... we talked about scheduling an induction on Sept 1 if the baby does not come next week (it looks like I really could just go any day and based on my current status from today's check, some of the guidelines for when to come in did shift a little bit). Otherwise, we talked induction on Sept 1, which she said based on how far along my body is with moving towards labor, should be relatively simple - and we are considering it due to the simplicity of organizing all the child care and other details. And the estimate for size last week was already like 7-7.5 pounds (which fits in with my first's size at birth and my husband's family ran to large babies - with big heads to boot).

Ultrasound checks at 36-38 weeks seems to be another practice specific procedure because I know women who had them at 36-37 weeks but my ob's practice does not do them at all this late unless there is some serious medical concern. People seem surprised when I say I have not had any ultrasound nor have any scheduled prior to birth.

I was group b positive first time and this time, I am negative (no antibiotics this time, hooray!) and now my husband worries if they read the results right. Sigh, he likes to worry about something... 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

I think I was checked at 36 maybe 37 weeks and each week after that for both children. 

I liked knowing how I was progressing.  Even though with #2 I walked around for 3 weeks at 4cm dialated, I was a bit worried the baby would fall right out at any moment.  The day before I gave birth to #2, she checked and my bag of water was bulding out and she knew I needed to have the baby right away or there would have been a possibilty if my water broke that it would not give me enough time to get to the hospital. 

I also, wanted to know because if I had to be induced, I had been told it would be easier if my body was moving along already on its own. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

My OB's policy with the checks is she didn't even check until I was in labor (past 40 weeks) with my first.  She checked at 38 weeks with my second because we'd had trouble with her flipping between breach, transverse, and vertex position, so the check was more to see if DD#2's head was engaged with the pelvis (it wasn't: she was "still sloshing around in there" to use my OB's term haha).  I went into labor before my 39 week appointment so I only had that one at 38 weeks.

I know with her practice they minimize the checks even during labor because each one is a way to possibly introduce germs.  They'll do one if you ask but it's not standard practice.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

I didn't expect to get checked at my 37 week appointment yesterday and actually didn't even think the MW would mention it, but as soon as I got to the room I was told to strip from the waist down. Due to my situation the MW and doctor decided it would be best to see what was going on since I could be induced at any moment. I can definitely see the point so I just went along with it. First thing the MW mentioned was how low the baby's head is, I had no idea! So baby is engaged and I'm 50% thinned but nothing else going on. At least the baby is in a really good position for when I do get induced. It looks like the latest that's going to happen is 9/5.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I am at work this morning, because last night I had this overwhelming feeling that I might not be back in on Monday.  Of course, now, I'm sure that I won't go into labor for at least a week, but at least my desk will be clean and the really annoying/tough parts of projects I'm trying to finish will be done.  If all I have to do next week is print and stuff envelopes and post on the boards, I'm okay with that. 

Also, Cici and CWag, and any others on deck who I'm forgetting, there's a full moon on THursday.  My mom (who worked in OB for years) swears that the number of women in labor at the full moon always spikes, so maybe it will be this week for all of us! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Luv, loke you say, you know by making sure to be ready at work you'll doom yourself to be way overdue, lol. My ex was a paramedic, and he would have agreed with your mom for sure. Best to everyone who could go at any minute!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Congratulations Memes!  I think you slipped under the radar last week.  Best wishes with baby #2!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats, memes! Ms isn't any indication of gender. I hope you feel better soon and that you have healthy pregnancy and baby!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Memes, I'm still a little early here - I'll be 11 weeks Wednesday. Nothing to report, just tons of bloating. So far this pregnancy is EXACTLY like my last one...but I had no MS with my last and had a girl, so that goes against the myth. :-)

Who knows!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

My son was born on a full moon, the Harvest moon.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Welcome to the next round of pregnant mamas!

39 weeks today.  And waiting.  And ready whenever this kid is.  Planning lunch dates with friends who work in town near me for every day this week to keep me preoccupied.  Otherwise, just making sure my desk is clean every night, and that all of the things that still are works in progress are in the process of being handed off.  In an ideal world, I will only be here through Friday, and then not be back until after Thanksgiving! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Memes - congratulations!  I think our older LO's are the same age.
    LuvRI - will be thinking of you!

Sections
Shortcuts