August 2013 Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

August 2013 Pregnancy

Hello all, although there aren't too many of us on here lately due to many recent arrivals.  Haven't heard from Trouble in a while... hope all is ok and thinking of her.

Just had my 24 week check up - all is well except I am measuring 25 1/2 weeks.  She said she wasn't alarmed with 1 inch either way.  Especially since I'm so vertically challenged at only 5'2 (and that is giving me 1/4 an inch :-)  But I know what I'm in for.  I measured ahead for most of my pregnancy with DS, and he was 9 lbs... so I'm not expecting a baby any smaller.  She said wive's tale is that second babies are bigger... eek.  Although with a repeat c-section, I guess I'm not too concerned as long as he's not much, much bigger.  Don't want to bring home a toddler!  She also thinks his head is up, which would explain why I can get winded so easily (even when just sitting down).  His head being the biggest part of him pushing into my lungs can create much less space for air.  I was a bit nervous last week on a conference call when I could barely talk.

Hopefully we'll be welcoming WedOct soon to the PG boards... so happy for you.  WPP, Northern... who else?  Northern, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and your testing coming up!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Re: August 2013 Pregnancy

Thanks IPW! I'm 9 weeks already. So far so good-no ms, no food aversions *knock on wood*. Kinda nervous for the results but also kind of looking forward to them and being able to tell people, esp my family if we get good news. The test is scheduled for 8/22.  DH has said he feels kind of weird having not told anyone yet.  He ended up talking to a friend whose wife just happens to be in the early stages of pregnancy as well but they aren't telling since it's still early. So I think he feels a little better that someone he's friends with knows now.  

"I'm always thinking one step ahead. Like a carpenter that makes stairs"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

Wow IPW, I can't believe that you are already 24 weeks!  I can't imagine a 9 pounder DD was only 6lb5oz.  Northern good luck with the genetic testing.  I know what you mean about telling people.   We haven't even told our parents yet.  Probably tell my parents this weekend since we will be seeing them.   Not sure when we will see DH parents though and don't want to them on the phone.  8.5 weeks so just behind you Northern.   Still waiting for my first appointment with the OB... not for 2 more weeks.   Then we have the Era at end of month.   Have us option of the Maternity21 test though opted for the Era not sure why other than that is what we did with DD.  Did find out that since i  am 40 i will get an u/s every week starting at 36 weeks. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Glad to hear everyone is doing well! IPW, is the measuring pretty accurate? It sounds like they're not concerned regardless, and maybe you just have big babies! 

Northern, I've been thinking about you and your DH--maybe we can get together that weekend we mentioned, and you guys can release all of the pent-up baby energy you need!

Wed, will this be your first appt where you get to hear the heartbeat? So exciting!

AFM, 29 weeks and feeling good. I've been trying to go for a long walk most days and do yoga consistently. We started our childbirth class at Isis, which has been fun and interesting so far. There are about 5 other couples, mostly due in October.

I heard such awful news this morning--my friends lost their baby girl at 36 weeks :( I don't know what happened, but they are, of course, devastated. There were some concerns recently with low fluid and they monitored her for a couple weeks and put her on bed rest, then something happened last night. They're in such pain and they're such amazing people. It's just not right. :(

(Sorry to be a downer here!)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Sweet! Just let me know what day and we'll make it happen.

So sorry to hear about your friend. I can't imagine what that must be like. Thoughts and prayers go out to both of them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

WPP, not sure how accurate belly measuring is.  She said nothing to be concerned about with an inch larger, or smaller.  They say that your belly should be as round as you are weeks.  So 24 weeks... 24cm.  But obviously there are all kinds of exceptions.  How large/small your belly was to begin with.. how tall/short you are... etc.  Ultrasound measurements are the same way.  Can be up or down a whole pound.  When I got my u/s day before my c-section - 8 days late - DS was measuring 10 lbs.  This was part of the reason for my planned c-section.... that, and I was closed up tight leaving my OB to assume that inductions drug would likely fail (and his size relative to my size).  He was 9 lbs exactly... so the u/s was off a pound.  I think as with anything not truly diagnostic... sometimes it's correct... sometimes it's off :-)

So sorry to hear about your friend.  I really can't even imagine how she feels.  Be prepared for her to withdraw from you as you near your due date.  It may just be too painful for her. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Oh, I had wondered what they were looking for with the measuring tape over the belly! IPW, do you have a preference for a VBAC or the subsequent C-section?

I was on Etsy looking at the memorial baby items...do you guys think it would be appropriate to send my friends something like that? They have jewelry that say things like, "I carry you in my heart" with the baby's initials or a decorative set of blocks with the baby's name, date, and a quote. I don't really know the wife in the couple, but the husband has been a close friend for about ten years. 

My new thing to obsess over has become the baby's positioning. Have you ever heard of the Spinning Babies web site? I feel like she hangs out on my right side a lot--maybe she's oblique?--and I'm nervous that she won't turn. I have (probably) at least ten weeks, but I've also heard that it's harder to get a baby to turn the closer you get to EDD.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

WPP, I have close friends (husband longer than wife) whose baby was strangled by the cord at 7 months, and I sent a sympathy card.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

WPP - how awful for your friends. I had a moment of complete paralysis when reading what you wrote. Life is so fragile. I'm not sure what I would do or send. I think I would initially send a message something like "We are so sorry for your loss and are here anytime you need us." Then maybe, in time, you could send a memorial item. I know you don't know the wife as well, but you and DH could reach out to the husband or to their family/friends to see if they need anything. I would think they might need others to put away the baby things.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

WPP - I'm so sorry for your friends as well. I have a friend who has lost five babies (two sets of twins and one singleton). I know she would appreciate any type of memorial anyone wanted to do. I don't know if I'd go jewelry, but maybe something for the wall? A lot of people don't want to ever talk about it with her and I think she appreciates it when people acknowledge the anniversaries of their deaths and such.

Also, don't worry too much about the baby's position. As long as she's head down, you'll manange. I know they say all that stuff about where exactly the baby is in your belly, but she's still got plenty of room to move and she probably does so several times a day. Don't let that stress you out.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

WPP - we are doing a repeat c-section.  I discussed this on a separate post when I was asking for advice about repeats.  My reasonings are: my biggest fear of birth is an emergency c-section; not for the surgery itself... but the emergency, rushing, usually after a crazy amount of laboring and exhausting your body.  Or in my case with a repeat, perhaps some kind of rupture.  That to me, would be the worst kind of birth experience.  My first was technically planned, since we decided at 8 days late with potential 10 lb baby to go ahead with the surgery on the next day, and my body was buttoned up tight.  For me, ended up being the right decision.  It was calm and my recovery and BFing was a breeze because I hadn't labored.  We do already have one at home, so the idea of planning the date certainly helps.  And, even though its early, seems like I'm on track to have another 9 pounder (maybe more).  So all in all... I'll stick with what worked the first time.  I did talk to my OB and if for some reason I go into labor one or two weeks early on my own... I may give VBAC a try.  She said I can totally decide on the spot.  Depending on how dilated or ready my body is.  As of now, I think we'll schedule for 39 weeks, 2 days (just because that date really works well for a ton of reasons and she said they like to go close to 39 weeks), and if no labor before... c-section for me. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

IPW, my cousin had a 9 lber and got a 4th degree tear from his shoulders. She had wanted 3 kids...her first, now 12, is an only child because of that.  Beware big baby vaginal birthing!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

IPW, I've had friends tell me that for their repeat C-sections, just the fact that it was planned made it go so much smoother, it was less stressful, and they had quicker recoveries. Hopefully that will be the case with yours as well! 

I decided to go with a little memorial piece for my friends. Just something with the baby's name and a quote with a little birth month gem. I'll send it to them with a note. They're all the way in Arizona and I wish I could do more for them, like bring dinners or help clean out the baby stuff when they're out of the house so they don't have to do it. Chiclet, my heart goes out to your friend. What pain she's endured. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

IPW - my DS was not a c-section, but was induced, and the planned induction made things with DD so much easier.  It's kind of nice with a second child.

WPP, Chiclet, Kar - my heart just breaks for your friends.  Some of you know that my DS was at a higher risk for stillbirth, and I can't stop thinking about how fortunate we were.

WPP - I think 29 weeks is early to worry too much about position - a head down baby now could still flip back up again.  I might be wrong about the timing, though... I definitely spent some time hanging upside down off my couch for the same reason, but I think it was later on!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

I've decided I hate bras. I've gone up two cup sizes in 10 weeks and finding comfortable bras is getting really difficult. I know I shouldn't go out and spend a bunch of money on them right now since I know they'll keep changing (I bought 3). But I am also getting tired of finding one I think is comfortable/fits in the store and then I wear it all day and I think it's the worst. The buying and returning the unworn ones is getting old.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Northern, what about a Coobie?  They are a tad uniboob, but I have a couple and I like them for everyday clothes, nothing fancy.  You could get one that would accomodate your current and pre-preg cup, I think.  I also have a similar style by Anabel that's just as comfy and supportive. I'm a C, by the way, if that helps.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Never heard of them, but thanks for the suggestion. I'll check them out. I'm currently rocking a DDD but sister size is the next band size up in a DD. I'm going to try and measure myself because it's just trial and error at this point.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Northern - I feel your pain. It's so annoying when bras in our size are $$$ and you know you're not going to wear it forever. If it makes you feel better, once I got out of the first trimester, I stayed the same size until I had DS and my milk came in. I've had very good luck with Anita bras that I've ordered from Bare Necessities. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Thanks guys-I measured myself and I appear to be a somewhat more "standard" DD which are a whole lot easier to find. But it does make me feel a little better chiclet, that hopefully they'll just stay at this size *fingers crossed*

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Northern, they should stay the same, new larger size for your PG.  Mine got fairly large right away, and have plateaued it seems.  I just went to TJMaxx last week and found some great $12 bras in my new larger size.  The DD selection certainly wasn't the largest, but they had a fair amount to choose from.  They aren't the absolute best quality, but some are the "t shirt" bras, so very soft and comfy, and for only 3-4 months more.. works for me.  Definitely don't spend too much money.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Not sure my experience will help but I just bought new bra's from Target and love them.  They are sooo comfortable.  However I'm an A cup so I'm sure it's different.  They were $17-20 each and so much more comfortable than my old ones for VS.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I second the Target bras, specifically the Gillian&(whoever) brand. I went from practically nothing to maybe a B (hooray!) during pregnancy, but those cheap bras have been pretty good. I've also just been using various Target sports bras. Some have normal-ish cups in them so it doesn't seem like you're wearing a sports bra. 

For me, the weirdest part of finding bras has been the band. As your belly gets more convex it seems like there's no where for the band to go. That's why I've liked the sports bras--less digging.

CLC, slight tangent, but you found bras that fit at VS?? I always feel like a mutant going in there because it never seems like the As fit. Are there certain types you've had better luck with? And this may be a little invasive of a question so ignore it if you like, but did you keep your pregnancy size or didn things revert to pre-preg sizes? I'm really hoping I don't go back to my pre-preg 13-yr-old boy chest! Yell

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

WPP - nursing, if you nursing, may make them a little bigger for a while... and since I got pregnant the second time while nursing my first, they got bigger second time on top of the increase from my first pregnancy and breastfeeding (I was not very big chested before).

So I am waiting to find out if, once I am done with nursing my second, what they will ultimately be size wise - but I have a feeling it is going to be in between (i.e. not as big as they are now but not completely to pre-preg size either). I know my OB mentioned that she won't do a baseline/routine mammogram for me for at least 6 months after I stop nursing because that is how long it takes for them to shrink? clear milk out? (I think she said if done too early, the changes brought on by lactation messes up the readings).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

WPP - I loved the Target bras (especially the nursing bras and tanks) the first time around, but I am having a harder time with them this time. I was a 38 B before DD (4.5 years ago) After DD I was a 40 B+, and now with DS (3 months) I am finding some of the nursing bras from the first time aren't fitting, and the Gillian & O'Malley stuff with a 40 band is a little snug. I did buy some in XXL, and they are OK, but last time I was wearing the XL and they were delightful. They still work, mainly because I think after wearing them for 2+ years after DD (nursing for 14 months, then too lazy to buy new bras for another year Wink ) they are pretty stretched out. So don't be surprised if you are a different size when all is said and done, but you might not change cups, just band Frown

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

WPP - sad news, I'm back to an A :)  Here's my journey if it helps...

34B while on BC

36A after stopping BC

36B once I got pg

36D!! once my milk came in 3 days post-birth

Stayed at a 36D until I weaned at 6 months

couple weeks after I weaned I was back down to a 36A

For VS I've struggled to get their bras to fit correctly but I finally found one awhile ago that I would say was a t-shirt bra.  While pg I tried Target bras and haven't gone back.  While nursing I loved the sleep bras.  Those were the most comfortable but the Target nursing tanks were pretty nice too!

Sections
Shortcuts