August 2013 Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

Re: August 2013 Pregnancy

Everyone warned me that my b00bs would shrink after BF though mine never went back to pre-pg size.  I was a 36B and until I just got pg again, was a 36C.  I lost all the weight and then some so I guess everyone's body acts differently.  I am 10 weeks today and I know I need to get some new bras or pull out my old pg ones, something to do this weekend.  My current ones are uncomfortable in the band already.  

I finally have my first OB appt next week.  It seems like it's been an eternity when I am used to going to the RE office every other day.  They offered me to do the ERA (u/s and bloodwork) or the new Maternity21 test.  I opted for the ERA since it was what I was familar with and it would give me another look at the peanut.  Now I am wondering if the new test give different results?  I haven't had a chance to research it yet.  Does anyone know what the difference is other than the Maternity21 is just a blood test and no u/s?  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Morning Wed,
    I think they do the ERA and the Maternity21 together.  Mine was together.  Not sure they have resorted to only the Maternity21 alone yet.  Technically its still experimental, even though it gives 99.6% accurate results.  The ERA is a scan and also blood work (but can be done in their labs) whereas the Maternity21 is just blood work done in a California lab.  Although if you opted to do them both... the Maternity21 blood work would replace the ERA blood work I believe.  Something like that.  We did both, and just have an extra $200 bill for the Maternity21.  But at 13 weeks or whatever it was, it was so nice to get the good results that we did... plus the gender so early :-)  But as you say, there is nothing like getting to see the little one in there...especially when you know it will be a while before you get to see them again.

3 months to go for me today...I think we'll be scheduled for Nov 19th.  It seems so dreadfully far... although I am no where near ready to have an infant around the house yet.  I guess its like anything in life... when you need more time, you don't have it... and when you want things to speed up... they move very slow.  :-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Wed, I recall a lot of ladies discussing the Maternity21 test...I think it was in the June or July thread? When is your ERA scheduled? Good luck with the tests.

IPW, congrats on hitting the third trimester. How are you feeling? Second trimester was the *best*...but now I'm slowing down. DH tells me I walk really slow, haha. I'm with you on time doing strange things lately too...and September will be action-packed, so it'll probably fly by. Love fall though! My birthday is in early September and I'm already planning fun fall things to do...apple picking, trip to Salem, pumpkin carving, pumpkin pie. 

We're interviewing a pediatrician today. I feel awkward asking things like, "what's your philosophy on child-rearing/breastfeeding/etc" but those are probably what we'd want to know to get a sense of how she approaches care. Then there are logistics of who we talk to when we call, how long it takes to get an appt for a sick baby, after-hours care. Is this what anyone else has done?

Lately I've had more fatigue and dizziness. It's really annoying. My midwife said I'm significantly anemic and put me on iron pills. I'm also eating more red meat and spinach. The dizziness seems to come on when I'm driving too :(

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

WP - When I was pregnant, I had a couple of dizzy spells while driving and it was terrifying!  I hope you figure out what's causing it.  For me, the doc thought it was a drop in blood sugar because I wasn't anemic, but hopefully the iron helps you!!  Sorry to randomly pop in but I had to add that I too looooved the Target sleep bras and nursing tanks.  I went from a B to a C (probably D in the first few weeks after baby) and now back to a B.  I used to get all my bras at Macy's, but after trying Target's at half the price I've stuck with them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Hey fram, good to see you in this part of the neighborhood :) I may have low blood sugar things going on too. When I feel dizzy, I try to eat some protein, which works sometimes. 

You also reminded me--a few weeks ago I got a nursing bra at Isis. It was expensive--about $40 at 20% off--but also the most comfortable bra I've ever experienced. I love it. I may splurge on the occasional bra over there. They also come in S, M, L, XL and have a chart on the back so it's easier to find a size that'll fit for awhile. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My aunt, the nutritionist, highly suggests a protein/carb snack to keep blood sugar in check.  Crackers and cheese, peanut butter and banana or apple, etc.  Not just a piece of cheese OR crackers.  Something about the insulin response, but I can't remember the ins and outs.

Anyone try the Coobie?  It's comfy enough to sleep in and very forgiving cup and band wise.  Supportive, too - not like an underwire, but still.  
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

Thanks IPW.  I have my regular appointment tomorrow morning so I will ask more about it then.  Right now the ERA is scheduled for next Friday.  After we get the results from that we will probably start to tell people.  We saw DH's parents last week and it was tough not to tell them!  I was ok with it, though DH wanted to wait.  

WPP - I used to get dizzy when pg with DD if I was at all hungry or if I hadn't had enough water to drink.  How did your pedi interview go?  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Wed, are you going crazy from not telling anyone? Hope the ERA goes well and you can start spreading the news soon. 

I drink water like it's the elixir of life, but maybe I need to be more proactive on eating before I notice that I'm really hungry. It's been a little better the past few days and I've been carrying more snacks with me. 

Pedi interview went really well. I've always had good experiences at Harvard Vanguard and my PCP is there anyway. Definitely my first choice. I felt really comfortable with the doctor. The pedi recommended that DH and I get the tdap vaccine so I'm doing that next week.

DH also wants to meet with a pedi where he works. The office is on his floor in his building so I can see why he's interested (although realistically I'd be the one bringing the baby to visits and it's not the easiest area to find parking, pay the meter, etc.). I used to have my PCP at this place and started the infertility journey there--you may recall a couple years ago that I was not thrilled there! They wouldn't give me the time of day, refused to do any tests, left me waiting for hour+, missed an easy diagnosis, etc. Maybe the pedi department is better but DH knows it would take magic and unicorns for me to agree to this practice. We'll see. 

Good to luck Northern tomorrow with her CVS!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

WPP - I can't remember how far along you are, but I had a couple of dizzy spells at the end of my last pg that would come on either (a) if I sat in the same position too long, or (b) if I twisted around in my seat.  My OB and I thought part of the problem might be that I couldn't physically move my body in the same way, twisting at the waist, so I was doing weird neck straining.  Not sure about the sitting one, except my theory is that the baby and I were sitting on something important.  :)  Not sure how helpful that is, but maybe check your sitting and movements as well, and definitely check in with your OB!

Regarding the pedi - anything is manageable with a well baby, but don't pick a place that is going to be a challenge when the baby is sick - envision where you will be when the baby is sick and who/how the baby will get to the doctor, and what level of parking woes you can deal with.  The office itself is really important, but I think location and logistics are so important as well.  GL!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

To echo medford's comments about the pedi location... you could be there very few times (as in once a month for first few months, then progressively less), OR you could be there every 2 days in the beginning.  My DS lost weight in the hospital, not surprising since he was born at 9lbs and my milk came in I think on the 3rd day?  But anyways... even though he was a very healthy 8.2lbs (or something) when we were discharged, the pediatrician wanted to see us every 2 days until he was over the 9lb birth weight.  I had a c-section so driving for me was out of the question for 2 weeks... so it became quite a production.  Now, this is probably a unique case, but we had picked a facility that was only 12-15 minutes from the house, wide open lot parking and lots of doctors in case we couldn't see ours... so was very helpful when we needed to get their often.

No idea why, just feeling rather depressed today.  I'm not a hormonal person, and was lucky with #1 never to have mood swings, and none so far with this one.  But just really sad today, for what appears to be no reason.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Thanks Whirled! I know there's nothing I can do to change the outcome of the test but I am still equal parts nervous & just want to get it over with it so we can move on from here to whatever happens.

"I'm always thinking one step ahead. Like a carpenter that makes stairs"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Northern - good luck!  I know how you feel.  Treat yourself to an ice cream or something after the test.  I will be thinking of you.

IPW - thinking of you as well.  Some days are like that... maybe?  Sometimes I can't figure out why I feel that way and it turns out to be something strange, like the anniversary of a sad event that I hadn't realized (consciously), or a dream I had and then forgot and I don't remember until the end of the day.  Whatever it is, I hope things start to feel better soon!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Thanks for all of the tips on what to consider for a pedi office! I'll show DH this list too. 

Medford, I'm 31 weeks and now that you mention it, I get the dizziness at those times too. There is a major blood vessel (inferior vena cava) that can get compressed (that's the don't-lie-on-your-back one) so that would make sense!

IPW, I hope you feel better. Do something nice for yourself! When I started therapy, the therapist (who works mostly with pregnant women) told me that women often feel seemingly random bouts of sadness and anxiety in pregnancy that often correspond with spikes in progesterone/estrogen. I guess there are certain times when those levels shoot up all of a sudden and it can make you feel very off. 

Yeah Northern, after the test I vote for: s'mores/ ice cream/ fondue/ new shoes. Maybe a combination of those. :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

As long as I don't have to fondue new shoes, maybe ;-)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

I'm poking in and glad everyone's pregnancies are progressing well overall!

WPP--re. the anemia: make sure you are getting vitamin C every day too, because that is required for your body to absorb iron.  A glass of OJ is an easy way.  (Vitamin C is water soluble so needs to be consumed daily for maximum benefit.)  Also, avoid drinking coffee & tea, esp around the time you consume your iron.  They block iron absorption.  Sorry if you already knew that or got that advice, but just wanted be sure! :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

They couldn't do the test Frown The ultrasound tech had me measuring at 10w4d but then the doctor did some measurements again and based on DOC I'm at 11w. They rescheduled me for next Wednesday. Also, according to the genetic counselor, I won't know the results for a full two weeks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

WPP, I was anemic in my first pregnancy and took Floradix, and it was like breathing life back into my veins.  It's a liquid and it's supposed to be easier for your body to absorb than the pills, and also to cause less constipation.  It's not cheap, but I looooved it and recommend it to everyone now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Northern... what a disappointment.  So sorry.  Isn't there more flexibility with the CVS test on when, and how many weeks you need to be?  Thought that started around 10 weeks?  Just try to keep thinking positive thoughts that all is well inside.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

My appointment this week do didn't go so well.  Found out that the baby's  heart stopped about a week ago.  I am heartbroken, it took us so long to get here.  Now I need to take some drugs to force the  miscarriage.   Now I sm gksd we didn't really tell anyone.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, Wed!!  Crying with you, I'm so horribly sorry.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Wed, I'm so sorry for your loss.  Sending you a hug.  

Please take care of yourself. Make sure you have some prescription strength painkillers on hand when you take the cytotec/misoprostol.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

IPW-according to my doc you need to be at the end of 10 weeks & I'm on the cusp. It's usually done between 11-13 weeks and from my measurements my uterus needs to be a little further forward (or up?) to get a good angle for the needle. I'm trying to keep positive, cautiously optomistic as I call it. Keeping the secret is hard!

Oh Wed, I am so sorry!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Wed, I am so, so sorry for your loss. Thinking of you and your DH.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fakinbacon. Show fakinbacon's posts

I'm so very sorry Wed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Wed - I'm so sorry for your loss. Sending you and DH hugs!

Sections
Shortcuts