August - Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

Re: August - Pregnancy

We got disposible changing pads to put over the nice changing pad cover - because every day, we would miscalculate and he would pee or p00p on the changing table (if you change every 2 hours, that means 12 chances every day for it to happen) and I just could not manage to do laundry every day to keep up with the number of pads, crib sheets and blankets that got spit up or pee/p00p so we opted for getting extra sheets and tons of blankets to reduce the number of laundry loads each week. Good idea to get some baby laundry detergent, and hand sanitizer. Glider or some cushy place for you to sit while nursing or bottle-feeding (I wish we knew how important that was beforehand - I ended up using the boppy to sit on so my sitches would not hurt so much since I could have the sore parts over the hole).

Until you figure out diapering (and with a boy, it took us a while to figure out how to diaper so he would not pee out the sides), plan on lots of t-shirts and pants for you. Take as many newborn diapers as you can from the hospital. They grow out of the newborn ones so fast.

Frozen meals or premade meals in the freezer. You and DH will be too tired to want to cook.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

TC, I agree with a lot of what has been said so far.  We also didn't find out the gender with #1, we got a few gender neutral clothing items but TONS of clothes as gifts right after DD was born.  So I definitely would not worry about clothes.  People LOVE buying cute baby clothes. 

My top "musts" for a newborn are boppy with extra covers, flannel receiving blankets to use as burping cloths, changing pad and multiple covers, diapers (take as many as you can from the hospital though), sleep sack (my DD didn't like to be swaddled), and crib/bassinett sheets. 

AFM, still pg and I do not feel like this baby is coming out sooner than Monday.  DH and I did get it on this morning to try to spur things on.  One of my cousins also recommended eggplant parm.  So that will be dinner tonight - couldn't hurt, could it?  And it should be fine even with my GD :) 

Glad to hear EOE is well allbeit emotional!  :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pittftw. Show pittftw's posts

Good luck, Trouble! I heard spicy foods can get labor going, too...

I wouldn't say I've been super emotional yet, but I did feel myself tearing up during the Bachelorette finale :) Not like me to get sappy.

AFM, my doc prescribed Phenergan for my m/s since I'm at 15 weeks and still sick every night. Well, not only am I still getting sick, but this stuff knocks me out! Has anyone else experienced this? It's way beyong dorwsiness - I fell asleep at 7:30 last nght. Taking this during a work day is completely out of the question. Need to talk to my doc about something that doesn't put me out of commission.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

Trouble, good luck on Monday.  NOt sure if it was coincidence or not, but I got a pedi and ate pineapple the night I went into labor, 2 things that supposedly encourage labor!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

tc - I am 27 weeks and the emotional stuff just started.

pittftw - sorry you are having such issues with ms and your medication.  I don't have any advice, but I feel for you. 

Trouble - sending good thoughts your way!  Try grocery shopping...my grandmother's water broke with 4 out of 7 of her pregnancies at the grocery store.

Wink

Love all the suggestions for things you need right away after the baby is born.  Just added a few more things to my list.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

Thanks ladies for your "need to have" list.  I have had several crazy weekends of other things and I feel like DH and I need to sit down and make a list of what we need to get done by when.  I can't believe I'm 27 weeks today!!  Time has just been flying by.  So far, we have accomplished ordering a crib, dresser and the rocker/glider.  We need to make a decision about disposable v reusable diapers and I think we need to get a move on creating a registry (if for nothing else but getting the discount to complete the registry).  Thank god for baby bargains to help me narrow my choices because I really have no idea how I would do that myself!

Trouble- One of my good friends is convinced that she went into labor 2 wks before her due date because she ate some super spicy Thai food.  Maybe you could try a pedi, followed by some BDing with DH, a super spicy dinner, topped off with pineapple for dessert...  The combination could work??  Luck to you!

As for emotions, I think I get annoyed/angry at random people more than crying.  I did have an uncontrollable crying episode sometime around 18 weeks I think- a small argument with my sister that would have normally gotten me annoyed caused me to cry uncontrollably for a good 20 mins and it took me a good part of the day to recompose.  No "episodes" since then though, but I know I'm far from my usual self.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

Has anyone experience the the emotions on the other end of the spectrum?  I find now that if something strikes me as funny, it is 10x funnier to me than it should be.  I find myself laughing like a fool.

itsallnew - I hear ya on the anger/irritability at random people.  I've become quite the potty mouth...luckily most of it stays in my inner monologue.  Driving and riding the train brings out the worst in me lately.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from twin04. Show twin04's posts

bostongrl - We decided to leave the baby's room the color it is now, a blue/gray. We don't know the gender, but it will work for either.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

bostongrl and twin- we are also leaving the "baby's room" as is.  I painted it not too long ago with a bamboo white and a single accent wall of a deep peacockish blue.  I decided it is gender neutral enough and also nice to keep it so that it functions as a 2nd bedroom.  Agreed that yellow/blue makes for just as nice a gender neutral baby color combo :)

Leila- T really pisses me off.  I am sure I send daggers through my eyes every day.  It's good that most of your annoyance has remained internal.  A checkout person at a few stores have gotten a little of my mouth (not mean things- just me being irritable).  I promise- i'm not normally mean!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

pitt--I took Zofran with both my pgs. The only side effect I experienced was some pretty wicked costipation. I'd take that over the morning sickness any day. Could be worth a conversation with your doctor. Hope you feel better soon!! My m/s let up around 18 weeks with #1 and closer to 20 weeks with #2.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc95. Show tc95's posts

Wow, these are such great suggestions, thanks!!  I'm not due until January but I'd rather have a list going and pick things up along the way (especially as there will be enough Christmas shopping to do when I'm 7-8 months along). Some items on here I never would have thought of!  Funny but a friend at work today said something similar about taking whatever you can get from the hospital- good to know!

I swear a lot while driving but I do that even when I'm not pg... I'll have to learn to use that inner monologue so my baby's first word isn't the four-letter variety.

Pittft, sorry to hear your m/s isn't any better. Mine wasn't nearly as bad but my doc suggested B6. Zofran is the drug I usually hear of for severe m/s.

Good luck Trouble- sounds like it'll be anytime now, hope all goes smoothly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Tc - I didn't look at everyone's posts but I would add the following:
    sleep sacks - loved them and still use them but now without the velcro.

baby bjorn (or some carrier).  This saved my life.  DD was a little cranky pants for her first 7 weeks and I truly don't know what I would have done without this.  Babies have to be 8 lbs I think so essentially at 9 lbs 8 ounces I could have put DD straight in there from the birth canal!  Might have saved us from some crying. :)

Not a necessity but really helpful - a little gym mat with overhead toys - this was our most used gift on our registry for at least 6 months.  She used it every single day.

Bouncy seats - I would have at least two.  One in the main room in your house and one in the bathroom that you use all the time.  This allowed me to take uninterrupted showers throughout all of infancy.  I was so sad to have to give them up when DD was literally teetering on the edge sitting up. 

Oh and consider reading "Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child".  I cannot tell you how much good sleep means to me and to DD.  

I realize most of these are not necessities but these are the things that helped me survive the early months the most. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc95. Show tc95's posts

Thanks Lil!  those sound like great ideas, I hadn't thought of 2 bouncy seats.  I was thinking of 2 pack-n-plays, one a travel size (Graco) to use as a bassinet upstairs, regular size for downstairs. Anyone else use this instead of a regular bassinet?

Hoping our little one gets DH's sleep gene (he falls asleep easily and sleeps thru anything) but I'll check out that book just in case. DH mentioned a baby bjorn just last night but called it "one of those harness things so I can carry the baby around"... :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Hi ladies,
    I'm new and saying hi!  I'm 5 weeks along--due in April.  I found out last weekend and we just told our immediate family last night.  Everyone was really excited, so that was nice!

I was lurking on this thread and those of who said you were showing at 8-9 weeks are making me nervous. I have to wear a midriff-baring sari to a wedding then, so hopefully it will look okay.  Also hoping the snug blouse still fits. 

Is anyone here going to MGH for their OB? I'm planning to go there due to convenience.  Let me know if there is anything you think I should know about the practice.

Lastly, as far as I have read, exercise seems good & encouraged, which I'm very glad for.  Has anyone here done yoga, zumba, or cardio aerobic classes during the first trimester?  That is my usual fitness routine, and from my googling seems like it is ok to continue, but I haven't met my doctor yet, so haven't had the chance to ask her.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Siena - I went to MGH and plan on going back when we decide to have number 2.  At first it bothered me that they just assign you an OB when you call but we loved our OB she was terrific.  They also have midwives if you prefer that route.  Sometimes they got backed up and I had to wait but that did not happen very often.  I had a great experience going to MGH from the OB care through the birth of our son.  Good luck!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

Welcome and congrats Siena!!  Everyone shows at different times.  I think a large part of it is your current shape and build and how noticeable it will be.  You may not be showing enough at 8-9 weeks that anyone else will notice, even if your clothes are getting kind of snug.  And a sari is one of the most forgiving articles of clothing a woman can wear.  It can show what you want to show and hide what you want to hide, especially if you let it drape across your shoulder instead of folding it up.  I wouldn't stress about that.

As far as exercise goes, I have been doing yoga (both prenatal and regular) throughout my pg- I'm 27 wks now.  I did Zumba and other dance up until last week, so through 1st and 2nd trimester.  I was fine.  But, I know I started to take it easier when I felt uncomfortable doing something that wouldn't have been a problem before.  It's really important to listen to your body.  Also, if doing something is going to freak you out more than make you feel better, maybe you find an alternative because the stress is not worth it.  Most doctors are going to tell you to continue doing whatever you feel comfortable with but don't start something new.  At least, that was my experience.  HTH!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Thanks everyone for the posts about the necessities in the first few days.  I started putting my registry together last weekend so this has been really helpful!  As we've let everyone in on the news, I've found that I was becoming overwhelmed with all the advice.  For advice on what to have... I found it easiest to just start the registry early and have a place to capture these suggestions.  I am sure I will pare it down or adjust accordingly as it gets closer to when we'd start buying things. 

For anyone just starting to show... I am going to report on my first full week in maternity clothes at work :o) ... I have found that the Old Navy wooven waistband jeans are super comfy around the midsection and are flattering to my just starting to show bump.  They also do not put a whole lot of pressure on my tummy which helps with the needing to pee all the time.  However, they slip down alot so I'm always pulling them up.  The gap long and lean jeans are awesome!  They are the most comfortable jeans I think I've ever worn and stay in place pretty well.  My only complaint at the moment is that since I'm not super big yet, the band cuts right across my belly and makes this weird muffin top.  But nothing that a slightly baggy shirt can't hide.  The band is tight enough to keep them from falling down, but the tradeoff is that they push on my belly and make me feel like I need to pee more often.  I also got a pair of Real Waist khakis from Old Navy.  The fit is very tight because they are super stretchy and very form fitting.  I am ok with the way I  look in them, but if you don't like how your butt looks naked, you aren't going to like how these cling to every freakin curve.  I tried 2 sizes because I thought my normal size was just too small.  Nope, the next size up was falling off of my waist but the legs/butt were still really tight ... so I think this is just how they are made.  I am still debating keeping them or returning them.  (btw... mail order is such a pain in the butt)  .  I hope that helps!!

Welcome Siena!  At 8-9 weeks I was still wearing normal clothes and no one would have known. As for exercise .. keep doing whatever is comfortable.  I'm 17 weeks and have been doing cardio kickboxing (no sparring) all along.  You'll find eventually that you can't keep your stamina up for quite as long as you use to ... but it is better to be moving and active than not.  Supposedly after the 1st tri you are not suppose to put both of you legs above your heart at the same time (ie.  laying on your back with both feet in the air) but there are modifications to most exercises that can make them safe.  This is only a problem during an abs/conditioning part of the workout ... but something to consider.  In general.. make sure you could still carry on a conversation and aren't exerting yourself more than you would have been pre-pg... you will get to that "tired" point sooner... so just listen to your body.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Thank you ladies for all of your responses.  I'm feeling very reassured--about MGH, sari wearing, and exercise.  :)  I really appreciate it!  

Hope you all are enjoying this lovely day.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Siena - Welcome and congrats! I think I was the one who started the posts about showing early, but from what others have said and what I've read elsewhere I'm in the minority, so I wouldn't worry too much!

All - Great suggestions for the "must haves." I'm waiting until I hit the second tri to buy anything or start a registry, but I'm going to go back to this in a few weeks! It's a funny feeling, I want to start preparing but some part of me feels like it's just not time yet. That, and I'm a bit superstitious about getting anything before second tri. I told my mom not to give me any baby stuff until then, but DH's grandma did give us a bunch of clothes last week and it was lovely to get our first gift.

Ahh, exercise is a sore subject for me lately. I got pg in the middle of a MAJOR exercise rut. I used to go to the gym (mostly cardio) frequently and DH and I would walk home from work (about 6 miles) a couple times a week and go for hikes on nice weekends. Then, 3 months ago, we moved and quit our local gym. We wanted to wait until after the summer to join a new gym, so in the meantime I did Jillian Michaels 30-Day Shred at home, tried to walk as much as possible, and vowed to start running (that was out as a "new exercise" once I got pg). Now I feel like I'm doing nothing. I abandoned the Shred out of fear it's too intense and I find myself too tired to even go for a walk most evenings (and can't get up for it in the morning). We've only managed one major hike this summer b/c of house stuff/vacation. I'm worried about everything from gaining too much weight to not being in good shape for delivery, but I'm being laaaaazy.

It would have been hard enough to keep up my past routine with all the fatigue/nausea, but I really want to get back into a regular routine now. Any advice?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsBride. Show BsBride's posts

In Response to Re: August - Pregnancy:
    Hi ladies, I'm new and saying hi!  I'm 5 weeks along--due in April.  I found out last weekend and we just told our immediate family last night.  Everyone was really excited, so that was nice! I was lurking on this thread and those of who said you were showing at 8-9 weeks are making me nervous. I have to wear a midriff-baring sari to a wedding then, so hopefully it will look okay.  Also hoping the snug blouse still fits.  Is anyone here going to MGH for their OB? I'm planning to go there due to convenience.  Let me know if there is anything you think I should know about the practice. Lastly, as far as I have read, exercise seems good & encouraged, which I'm very glad for.  Has anyone here done yoga, zumba, or cardio aerobic classes during the first trimester?  That is my usual fitness routine, and from my googling seems like it is ok to continue, but I haven't met my doctor yet, so haven't had the chance to ask her.
    Posted by siena09

Siena, congrats, looks like we'll be due around the same time, I'm pregnant with my second now, about 5 weeks. As far as exercise goes, I kept up with my regular gym schedule of free weights, weight machines and zumba until 29 weeks, then zumba got a bit ackward for me, so I stuck with weights and the arc trainer until 35 weeks, then just gave up. I don't know if it really made a differnece, but I had read that keeping up with the exercise when pregnant can help you have an easier labor and delivery, because your muscles are still toned, and my labor and delivery was very quick. I was also able to get back to the gym at six weeks post-partum no problem.  Good luck!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ctowngirl78. Show Ctowngirl78's posts

Siena and BsBride, congratulations!  I just wanted to chime in and say hi!  I too am about 5 weeks and due in April.  It is so nice to see other moms-to-be who are due around the same time as me.  I too am concerned about exercising.  I typically run 2-3 miles about 3-4 times a week, and then work out one day a week with a trainer at the gym.  I am by no means super fit, but I know that keeping active will help during pregnancy.  I just talked to my dr office about it and they echoed the other posters - whatever you did before becoming PG is fine to continue.  They did say however that they did not want me lifting more than 25 lbs.  So, just wanted to throw that out.

So happy to be able to join such a great group of women!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pittftw. Show pittftw's posts

Welcome, Siena. I wouldn't worry too much about showing early. If you are in pretty good shape and it's your first baby, it will likely take a little longer to show. I'm at 15 weeks and still not noticeably showing.

The suggestions for early essentials are great. It's so hard to know when looking at registry checklists what is really a "must" and what is just fluff. I haven't started a registry yet mostly because I was too overwhelmed looking at all the options.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LowellwTwins. Show LowellwTwins's posts

For moms with August due dates, am I the only person that has been too exhausted to decorate a nursery during this super hot summer? I feel like a terrible mom already! All my friends had a super cute nursery set up before the baby was born.

None of my furniture has come in (been on order since May), so I have a big empty room that kind of looks like a storage closet and I'm just not finding anything that excites me for window treatments or wall hangings. I keep thinking when the furniture arrives (we're having it delivered and assembled--thank goodness) I might get inspired, but at this point, the babies might arrive before the furniture!

I have a co-sleeper ready to go for our bedroom and all the clothes, blankets, etc. washed. But that's all I could muster. I'm having twins and I'm generally feeling overwhelmed. I know that nursery doesn't matter in the long run, but I also know I'll have even less time once the boys are here to set it up...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Lowell... Congrats on the upcoming arrival of your twins!  As long as they have a bed, food, and some clothes I doubt they will notice the curtains :o)  I know it can be calming for mom to have the nursery "ready" ... but the babies will just need you and some love.  So no need to push yourself in this heat. 

Arcain... I wouldn't worry too much.  The first couple of weeks can be hard because you are just SOOO tired.  Once you near the second tri, you should get more energy (I've actually been able to stay awake until 10pm lately!  yippee!) ... maybe then try to add more exercise in?  By then it will be cooler too.  Hiking and biking this time of year is miserable anyways... it looks nice out but within 10 minutes you are just drenched in sweat.  September/October are far better months to get out and about.  So definitely give yourself and your body the break that it needs while you are so tired.  As long as you are eating healthy foods the weight gain shouldn't be an issue.  I've stuck to about 1800 calories (almost ready to bump it up a bit at 17 weeks because I am getting super hungry!) so far and actually lost 5lbs the first month I was pg because I was eating so much better than I had been before.  I too had been in an exercise/diet rut in the months prior to getting pg.  I am now up ~2lbs, but still under what I was when I first found out I was pg.  I did count calories for the first 2 months.  I needed to re-learn what 1800 calories felt like.  That, and prior to being pg a "diet" would have been more like 1600 calories and although I wanted to eat a healthy diet I was not interested in starving myself or my baby this time around.   My favorite snack right now is raw red peppers cut up and dipped in Tzatziki (greek yogurt dip that has surprisingly few calories) and maybe a few pita chips to satisfy my salt cravings.  Brightly colored veggies are awesome for nutrition and have essentially no calories.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!  We are departing in the morning for a 11 hour drive to Virginia... I'm hoping I don't need too many more bathroom stops than normal :o)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JMcW. Show JMcW's posts

In Response to Re: August - Pregnancy:
    For moms with August due dates, am I the only person that has been too exhausted to decorate a nursery during this super hot summer? I feel like a terrible mom already! All my friends had a super cute nursery set up before the baby was born. None of my furniture has come in (been on order since May), so I have a big empty room that kind of looks like a storage closet and I'm just not finding anything that excites me for window treatments or wall hangings. I keep thinking when the furniture arrives (we're having it delivered and assembled--thank goodness) I might get inspired, but at this point, the babies might arrive before the furniture! I have a co-sleeper ready to go for our bedroom and all the clothes, blankets, etc. washed. But that's all I could muster. I'm having twins and I'm generally feeling overwhelmed. I know that nursery doesn't matter in the long run, but I also know I'll have even less time once the boys are here to set it up...
    Posted by LowellwTwins

My twins will be here August 18th and I JUST set up the nursery last weekend. It has been too darn hot to get motivated and the swollen ankles haven't helped! Glad to hear I'm not the only one going through a twin pregnancy through the Summer and procrastinating a bit.

Sections
Shortcuts