August - Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

Re: August - Pregnancy

I just laughed so hard I peed a little!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pittftw. Show pittftw's posts

Oh, how I dread those insensitive coworker comments. Leila32, I really liked your tactics :)

I've only just started slightly showing, and most people can't tell at all. I just broke out my Be-Band today for the first time at 17.5 weeks. I'm hoping I'll be able to get away with just that for another couple weeks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krystabel. Show Krystabel's posts

LOL!! Leila - I love it!  I wish I was able to think that quickly on my feet!  & Lissa!  LOL!!! I wish I has the hootspa (sp?) to pull that off! Thank you all so much for the support... After I wrote that I was a little worried that it came off like whining and maybe hormones were making me too sensitive.  Luckily the woman I mentioned in on vacation this week so I have a little hiatus from the ridiculiousness. 
    Arcain - That is really rude about the pants size - some people have no concept of what they are saying.  I used to have a female boss and we dieted together - I started of several sizes larger than her and when I lost weight she offered me a pair of her old pants and when I tried them on and they were a little loose she said... "oh, I didn't know how big I looked in those"!  I was mortified!   

Work was super crazy at the end of last week and I took the weekend off from the computer! It was nice to be disconnected.

... with only 2 or so weeks to go, I am definitely feeling more ready and would be happy with an August baby.  :-)  We definitely don't have everything done on our "to Do" list, but I am getting more and more ok with that. I think we have all the important stuff done except for packign the hospital bag and I am going so that tonight - so I think that is the last must-do before thing and anything else we get done before is a bonus.  Plus - I am getting tired of going to work - that probably sounds awful, but I am really looking forward to being home with DH & our little one for a while!  

KAM - I am sorry about the moldy AC thing!  I don't have athsma, but I am REALLY sensitive to smells and mold & cigarette smoke are at the top of the list of things I can't stand to be around.  I would definitely talk to your provider ASAP and explain the situation.  ... Also I think going there on a different day to see if it was just a fluke is a good idea.  Good luck!  Let us know how it turns out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krystabel. Show Krystabel's posts

Kiwi - How are you doing?  Is your little guy still hanging in there for you?  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Just catching up on everyone's posts ... wow there's a lot going on!  Krysta ... good luck as you approach the final days.  Kiwi... I hope your little guy is staying put for the time being.  And as to everyone dealing with awkward/rude comments ... holy smokes!  I've had a few weird comments, but nothing that was truly insulting like some of the above.  I do get a lot of unsolicited advice, and I keep trying to remind myself that everyone means well. 

AFM... I've started really feeling the little munchkin moving around.  Anytime I sit still or lay down he or she starts movin and groovin.  Last night DH felt the little bumps and kicks for the first time.  It took some patience and me holding his hand down with some pressure where I had been feeling the little kicks, but eventually looked at me and was like "was that a kick?".  He thought it was cool but a little alien-like at the same time. 

We have our 20w ultrasound on Friday.  I am almost certain I want to know the gender, but haven't decided if we will share it with our friends/family.  Part of my wants to keep it a secret because it makes it a little more exciting and at the same time I still get to know.  I'm not sure how my family will react to not being told... so I guess we'll have to see how it goes.  If I didn't want to know, I think they would go along with it happily, but if they know that I know they might feel left out and harass me for the next 4.5 months. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from twin04. Show twin04's posts

KAM - That's horrible about the mold/mildew smell. I'd bring it up to your doctor and contact the facilities department or the patient advocate at the hospital about it. That is unhealthy and unsanitary. They need to fix that right away!!!!

Krysta - Wow, I can't believe we are getting so close already!!! Our list isn't nearly done either, but we've been plugging away at it little by little each day. I have so much energy when I wake up in the morning (at 5:30) so I've getting a 1/2 hour, 45 mins worth of stuff done each morning before work. That's helped a lot. We're hoping all the big stuff will be complete by the end of the weekend.

Kiwi - Hoping all is still going well with you and baby!!

AFM - Had a nonstress test Saturday. Everything was good. I will have those weekly until the baby is born. My appt tomorrow is to go over the birth plan. Very excited about that. I just want to know what my MW specifics are.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I've called the facilities management at the hospital-but had to leave a message-not fully confident it will go anywhere. I go for antoher NST tomorrow and if the smell is still there will discuss Thurs with my doctor. Though I do have a list of names my PCP recommended if I need to change last minute-which I really don't want to!

I'm officially feeling like I'm at the end of this pregnancy! I hurt myself trying to put my socks on this am! My ribs still hurt from the baby's head/butt jamming into them as I bent over. DH had to travel for work last minute so I'm grumpy from that too. I told him this is the last trip he's allowed to go on until after I give birth. At least he should be back in time for my OB apt so he can meet the doctor I've chosen-just in time since I'm 35 weeks.

Good luck to everyone else!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from twin04. Show twin04's posts

KAM - I hope it works out for you. You shouldn't have to be worrying about this at this point in your pg. If you don't hear back, I'd call and leave another message stating if you don't get a return call by X, you'll be calling the Board of Health. I'm sure they'll get back to you though. If not, your doctor should be able to get something accomplished. I can't believe DH is traveling still.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krystabel. Show Krystabel's posts

I agree Twin!  It is hard to believe that we are getting so close, although I am feelign like it can't come soon enough!  That is great that you are productive in the morning .. I am up pretty early too, although I have been getting back in bed and using the time to snuggle with DH.  Less productive, but really nice! :-)  I also have more energy in the morning - my mid afternoon - I am ready for a nap!

At my check up Monday afternoon I mentioned to the Midwife that the baby has been moving less than usual - I expected her to say that is normal because the baby has less room or something, but she sent me for a nonstress test and an ultrasound ... so we got to see the baby again (the last time was at around 20 weeks) and everything looked great - so although I got a little nervious at her serious response to my fairly off hand comment if was nice to see the LO again and get confirmation that he/she is ok. Plenty of fluid and the placenta looks good. :-) ... The other bit of information is that the Ultrasound Dr said that although the midwives are sticking to a Sept 3rd due date, the baby is measuring more like September 13th... so my recent day dreams of an August baby are fading and I am back to getting mentally ready to be pregnant longer. ... we'll just have to wait and see when the baby is ready.

Oh, and update on Group B strep - I tested positive... I have come to terms with it, although I am still bummed... so I will have an IV port and antibiotics for 15 minutes every 4 hours... More than minding the IV port thing, I am worred about how the antibiotics will effect the baby. For anyone else that has had antibiotics during labor for GBS - did your baby have any issues from it like thrush or anything else? ...So much for sparing my kid from antibiotics for as long as possible.  

Also, since Monday I am having significant lower back pain - I am not sure if its my sciatic nerve or what, I've been icing it and trying to gently stretch - which when I am not pregnant that does help, but neither has really been helping and its limiting my mobility and making me really uncomfortable.  Yesterday my left hip & butt muscle also starting hurting. Had anyone else had this in the end of pregnancy?  Any tips for improving the situation?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Krystabel-have you tried heat and a massage from your DH? I have a bad back that is supposed to have me on bed rest, but some heat, a good massage and some tylenol has gotten me through. I laugh at everyone who suggests getting in the tub for a nice warm bath...if I got in these days I'm not sure I could get myself out!

Went back to the hospital for another NST today-the mold/mildew smell was still there but much better than before. Apparently they shut down the entire HVAC system and cleaned it and will do it again. If that doesn't take care of it they're prepared to put a special HEPA filter in my room when I arrive. But after my NST today I wasn't feeling wheezy so I'm feeling much better about everything. Will discuss further with my doctor tomorrow.

Twin-this is DH's last trip. He's done two last minute (flying less than 6 hours after he's been told about the trip) this month alone-so he's done his dues with traveling for the team. He agrees he is officially grounded now until I tell him he can fly again. ;)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krystabel. Show Krystabel's posts

Thanks KAM.  I have been icing and DH has been massaging my back in the morning and before bed at night ... I;ll try heat - I have always used ice for my back, but its a good idea to try heat too.

I'm so glad that they took you seriously and cleaned the HVAC system and will clean it again!  That must make you feel better!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

In Response to Re: August - Pregnancy:
    Oh, and update on Group B strep - I tested positive... I have come to terms with it, although I am still bummed... so I will have an IV port and antibiotics for 15 minutes every 4 hours... More than minding the IV port thing, I am worred about how the antibiotics will effect the baby. For anyone else that has had antibiotics during labor for GBS - did your baby have any issues from it like thrush or anything else? ...So much for sparing my kid from antibiotics for as long as possible.   
    Posted by Krystabel

I had antibiotics for this reason too (and I was in the L&D room for almost all of my 29 hr labor so it was every 4 hours for over 24 hours - my water broke before labor even started which is why I was in the hospital from the start since the clock starting ticking when your water breaks). DS came out fine - no thrush or issues from the antibiotics I took during labor as far as we saw. Angry to be coming out and loud about it when he was born.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krystabel. Show Krystabel's posts

thank you cw. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

KAM- glad to hear that the hospital listened and that the wheeziness improved!  Hopefully by the time you are headed in there for delivery, everything will be where it needs to be.

Krystabel- I am at 30 weeks, but I had sciatic irritation in my first tri that literally started up again the day I began my 3rd tri.  Fortunately, I don't have the shooting pains, but I have a constant irritated sensation up and down my left leg from butt to heel (not sure which is worse).  Anyway, during my prenatal yoga class, the instructor was saying that sometimes massaging the heel about a third of the way up from the bottom can help relieve sciatica pain because that is where the nerve supposedly ends.  It could be worth a try!  For my lower back pain, I find that doing downward facing dog against the wall is very helpful because it stretches that area out.  Basically, you face the wall standing up and walk your legs out and arms down until your back is parallel to the floor.  Not only does it stretch out your lower back, but it gets your hamstrings/calves as well, which can also affect the lower back region.  I do this in my office all the time (with the door closed of course) ;o)  HTH!!

How is everyone on deck doing?  Any more babies?  I can't believe I have 10 weeks to go... this pg seems to have flown by!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

itsallnew - when is your date?  I think we are in the same week at least.  According to my doctor, who based it on my last period, my due date is 11/3...but according to the conception date it is 11/7.  Not that there's really a difference.

I've had some hip and leg pain while sleeping, but not every night.  I'm starting to get really tired again mid-day.  After lunch, all I really want to do is take a nap (much like during my first trimester).  And it is definitely getting harder to get up and down from the couch now!

So much to do in the next 10 weeks!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Hi everyone,

It's good to see that everyone seems to be hanging in OK. KAM, I'm glad the hospital situation improved for you. Krysta, I can literally feel your pain! One thing that has helped me is to sit on an exercise/birthing ball when I can. It really helps relieve the pressure and pain.

AFM, all has been calm which is VERY good news. I hit 36 weeks, so that is a big threshold crossed. At my hospital, any deliveries before 36 weeks mean an automatic NICU stay. I've had 2 NSTs and 2u/s this week and things look great. No more bleeding so everyone is relieved. Bub is head down and has been for a week, so we're all hopeful he's made his last big move to get into position.

When I saw my OB this morning, she was (semi) joking that they're all worried about a rush of women going into labor over the weekend with the barometric pressure changes from the hurricane. We'll have to see if that kicks any of us on deck into labor! :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krystabel. Show Krystabel's posts

Kiwi!  So glad to hear form you and good news at that!  Wonderful!!  

Thank you for the advice! I have been trying to stretch my hamstrings ... I like the siggestion of the modified downward dog!  I'll definitely try that.  I have been using my desk which is similar, but I'll try the wall - Its been a couple of months since I stopped going to yoga class (it wasn't prenatal and it got too hard to keep up with) - I do still "practice on my own, but much less than the class.  I have been trying to remember to sit on the birthing ball in the evenings - good reminder! I'll definitely have to try that more!

Good tip on the barometric pressure - I'll have to clean up my desk before leaving for the day on Friday!  ... Actually I keep telling myself that I should be doing that every day since with 9 days until my due date you never know! ...although I am convinced this baby is going to be late. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Kiwi-glad to hear the little guy is still holding tight!

I just got back from my doc apt-and he said the same thing about the storm this weekend-how labor and delivery will be busy. So for those of us who are up on deck and it's safe to do so-may the storm bring us a few babies!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

Kiwi- so glad to hear that you're doing better and little guy is still in there in the right position.  That's so interesting about the changes in barometric pressure triggering labor...  I'm very curious to see what happens now!!

Leila- we are DD buddies!  I'm due on 11/3 as well :o)  I know what you mean about having a lot to do in these last 10 weeks!  Last weekend we finished our registry stuff.  I am hoping we can make a trip (or even a call) to the Uppababy factory store as I am having a stroller debate and just need some more info.  We finally hired someone to come clean the house and that has to be the best decision we've made yet- it makes such a difference for me.  There are still plenty more things on our list but I feel better that we've checked a few things off.  In the meantime my little munchkin is moving and shaking inside!  Sometimes I just sit and stare at my tummy to see the little (and not so little) movements as baby moves around.

Krysta- I echo what was said about the pilates ball.  Sometimes I do hip circles while sitting on that to get an extra stretch in the lower back area.  The other day, I had DH put it in the kitchen for me while I was cooking because I got tired of standing up ;o)

Hope everyone is doing well and can't wait to hear about the babies that may come this weekend!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

Leila and itsallnew--you guys are right behind me--I'm due October 29.  It feels far away still, but then when I think about how few weekends are left I get kind of freaked out about all that we have left to do. 

Kiwi, I'm glad to hear your LO has stayed put past the 36 week deadline! 

AFM, I had my follow-up ultrasound to check out the placenta this morning.  Baby had her head blocking my cervix, so they ended up having to do a transvaginal ultrasound (ugh, thought I was done with that), and also we couldn't see her little face because of her position, but the good news is that my placenta has moved and I won't have to have a mandatory c-section.  Also, the doctor doing the ultrasound said that her head "fits nicely in your pelvis," so he thinks it won't get stuck during labor--I hadn't even started to worry about that, but it sounds like a good thing.  They also gave me a flu shot, and I'm having a breast ultrasound Monday to look at the lump in my armpit--they still think it's nothing, but it has grown since the last appointment, so we'll have it checked out.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

kiwi--so glad LO has stayed put!  I totally didn't know that about barometric pressure--huh!

Best wishes to all of you in the home stretch!

Does anyone have any thoughts on the first trimester Early Risk Assessment for chromosomal abnormalities?  (This is the ultrasound + blood test).  We're leaning against it right now, because we are in a low risk group (under 30 y.o.), and 5% of women get a positive finding.  But most positives are false positives--after a positive test, there's still only 1/200 or 1/300 chance of an abnormality. And then the next step is amniocentesis which has notable risks (~1/500 chance of miscarriage?, plus higher risk for baby to have clubfoot, hip problems, plus infection risk). 

I know there is no "right" answer.  (I totally wish ACOG or some reputable organization would issue guidelines on this, because the decisionmaking is stressful!) The nurse I talked to said the ob's office wouldn't recommend one way or the other, but she seemed to be leading me towards getting it.  Before I talked to her, I felt more certain that I didn't want it.  If we decline ERA, our first ultrasound would be the 18-22 week anatomy scan.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

Siena, we ended up not doing it.  For us, the real question was: If we knew that the baby had a genetic defect, would we terminate the pregnancy?  We had thought about it a lot and concluded that we would not.  And given that we wouldn't terminate the pregnancy, it was pretty clear that we also wouldn't risk amniocentesis in the event of a positive result on the early testing.  So, in that case, it seemed like the early testing was way more likely to freak me out than to tell me anything that would be useful to me.  I'm still happy with the decision not to do it.  But on the other hand, if you would choose to terminate the pregnancy if you learned the baby had Down Syndrome or some other genetic disorder, then it's a much harder question whether to have the testing.  If you can answer the question whether you would choose to proceed to amniocentesis if you had a positive result, I think that might give you your answer on whether it's worth doing the early testing at all.  Good luck, either way!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

Oh, also--I was stressed out about not having an ultrasound until 18-20 weeks (especially because I had 3 really early in the first trimester to rule out an ectopic pregnancy, so it freaked me out to not have one pretty much every week!) and I almost wanted to do the ERA just to get one, but once I was far enough along I was able to hear the heartbeat at the appointments, and that was sufficiently reassuring that it wasn't too hard to wait.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

itsallnew and thistle - good Valentines this year, right?  That's so cool we could possibly be having our babies the same day or within the same week!  November sounds far away, but you're right, when you look at it as only a number of weekends left, it doesn't seem like much time at all.  Oh, and the pilates ball in the kitchen while cooking sounds wonderful...wish I had thought of that sooner.

Siena - we decided to skip the early risk assessment.  For us, knowing that early wasn't going to change anything for us, and later tests can detect the diseases, so we decided to skip it...one less visit to the doctors office, one less time to be poked and prodded.  We had our first u/s at 18 weeks...it seems like a long time to wait to see the baby, but it goes by fast.  It really is a personal choice.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

Thistle- I was wondering how you were doing!  Glad to hear that you don't have to schedule a mandatory c-sec and it's definitely good news hearing that your baby's head should fit easily.  I totally didn't think about that possibility- hopefully my kiddo's head is also cooperative!

It's nice to know that there are 3 of us who will be headed on deck around the same time!  I knew we were all around the same time, but couldn't remember exactly.  I started freaking out about how few weekends there are last week.  After crying things out a bit, I created a calendar on google for me and DH to look at and update.  I'm not sure why or how, but it definitely helped me and my Type A-ness manage things a bit more.  I'm also trying to continuously tell myself that there are things that I want to get done, but if I don't, it won't be the end of the world.

Siena- We did do the ERA, even though we were low risk.  We read the brochures, which totally freaked us out, and didn't really have answers to the hard questions.  DH tends to be more of an "ignorance is bliss" kind of person and I am more of a "knowledge is golden" type.  My gut was telling me that everything was fine with the LO, but I wanted to know because I felt that no matter what the result we could better prepare for this baby having that additional information.  We talked to my parents (both physicians) about it as we discussed it ourselves.  In the end, we decided that a non-invasive procedure was worth it and that we would take it one step at a time going forward.  As the other ladies stated, it is very much a personal choice with no right or wrong answer.  This was roughly the process we went through when making the decision.  HTH!

Sections
Shortcuts