August - Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Re: August - Pregnancy

I'll admit I'm in the camp of opting for the ERA because of the ultrasound.  I was super nervous in the beginning and just wanted to see the little bugger.  Waiting until 18-20 weeks was just not going to happen for me.  I was pretty sure that regardless of the results we would have kept the pg ... though I'll admit that DH and I never really talked about that, perhaps he would have had a different opinion if we had gotten a positive result.  The one thing to consider is that it may cost money (if that is a concern).  My insurance covered most of the ERA, but I did get a bill for $90 in co-insurance for the labs. 

Our 20 week ultrasound is this afternoon... sooo excited!! :o) My plan is to pick up a bottle of OJ on the way and let that be part of my liquids intake to make sure our LO is nice and active for his or her pictures.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Hi everyone!  5 pages to catch up on is too much!  You have all been busy. 

I won't even try to comment on all the activity, but know that I share in all the "congratulations" and "what was she thinking!?" and "good lucks" that everyone else has offered. 

As for the ERA, we opted to do it for most of the same reasons as bostongrl. Knowing that everything was okay and being able to see the baby were very important to me.  That said, if things hadn't been okay, I don't know if I would have felt differently about it.  Check your insurance because my ERA was fully covered. 

AFM I am 25 weeks and feeling the baby kick and hiccup and otherwise move.  I can't really discern a kick from a punch from a knee, but think I have finally figured out when its hiccups.  It's so distracting at work to just wantt o sit back with your hands on your belly and take it all in.  Also distracting at night when you want to fall asleep! lol  But, I love that I can feel her. 

I got wicked bad leg cramps last night - in both legs and both in the shin muscles and the calf muscles.  Definitely the worst I've ever had, and the first since being pregnant.  I had to get up and walk around for about 20 minutes for it to go away.  I've been reading conflicting reports on needing more potassium, calcium, magnesium, or water to help combat it.  I just hope this doesn't become a frequent occurence!

On a positive note, my 88 year old neighbor told me yesterday that I looked thinner.  I told her I was definitely not thinner and had in fact gained weight.  As I walked toward her, she kept protesting and saying how great I looked, and then I got up close and showed her my belly and said, I have definitely put on some weight - I am over 5 months pregnant!  Bless her heart, she can't see very well :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

In Response to Re: August - Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE]I got wicked bad leg cramps last night - in both legs and both in the shin muscles and the calf muscles.  Definitely the worst I've ever had, and the first since being pregnant.  I had to get up and walk around for about 20 minutes for it to go away.  I've been reading conflicting reports on needing more potassium, calcium, magnesium, or water to help combat it.  I just hope this doesn't become a frequent occurence!
    Posted by jennifyr78[/QUOTE]
    If it does become a chronic thing (hopefully not!) I found that staying SUPER hydrated was the only thing that kept me from having killer charlie horses in the middle of the night.  Basically, if I had less than 3 liters of water every day I was guaranteed to wake up in pain with my foot all curled up (of course, I was guaranteed to wake up needing to pee 12 times no matter what.  oh well).  I guess I had bananas every day too, but that was more of a craving thing. 
    You can always up your chocolate intake!  use the cramps as an excuse and tell yourself you're stocking up on magnesium :)

Good luck.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

In Response to Re: August - Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE] Does anyone have any thoughts on the first trimester Early Risk Assessment for chromosomal abnormalities?  (This is the ultrasound + blood test). 
    Posted by siena09[/QUOTE]
     I had a high-risk pregnancy because of my heart condition so I HAD to have an ultrasound every month (such a PITA).  We opted for the ERA because we already had to do the ultrasound and the rest of it was just a blood test.  We figured it wasn't invasive (unlike an amnio, which I would NOT have done except in extreme circumstances, due to the risk to the fetus) so we went for it. 
    We were in an extremely low-risk demographic for the stuff the ERA looks for but we figured, just in case, forewarned is forearmed. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

Jenn, I hate to say it, but I started having leg cramps at night around the same time and they are terrible now and I get them nightly.  I haven't found anything that makes them stop, but if Lissafro says chocolate, might as well try that :)

Itsallnew and Leila, yes, nice to have company!  And I'm glad you all aren't completely prepared yet either.  I have been freaking out a little bit, which DH finds really baffling and hard to relate to--I think it's partly a hormone thing.

Bostongrl, good luck with the ultrasound!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pittftw. Show pittftw's posts

Siena, we did the first trimester scan for the same reasons as itsallnew - we figured that it is good to be armed with information to be prepared for whatever comes up. It was just reassurng for us, though I know many people do get flase positives. Also, our insurance covered everything, so we didn't have a financial reason not to do it.

AFM, we found out this week that we're having a boy! I was sure it was a girl, but this LO is set on proving me wrong :)

Looked at our first daycare center today, and they already have a waiting list into Setember!!! When we called to set up a walk-through on Monday, they said they had spaces in May (when we plan on starting daycare). Can't believe how fast they filled up - or maybe they are jerking us around? Anyway, that has lit a fire under us to start looking around more seriously.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pittftw. Show pittftw's posts

Sorry for a new post so soon, but just got a call from my Dr. and after looking at the 18 wk u/s, I have a low lying placenta. They recommend no lifting over 20 lbs and no intercourse til 28 weeks when I'll have another u/s. Has anyone else heard of those restrictions for low-lying placenta before? I sort of figured you just waited to see if it moved... Yikes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If you're suffering from leg cramps ask your doc if what you're taking for vitamins (plus eating) has enough magnesium.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

pitt--I had a placenta previa until my 27 week u/s, and yes those were the same restrictions I was given. They worry about trauma to the placenta and subsequent bleeding. Those things can be common, and preventable, causes. It stinks, but trust me, it's better than ending up in L&D with scary bleeding!

ETA: My previa did resolve itself by 27 weeks, and the majority do. So, I hope that happens for you!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

Pitt, see if you can find out more about exactly what they mean by "low-lying placenta."  I've heard of those restrictions when the placenta is actually blocking the cervix.  My placenta was apparently touching but not blocking the cervix, and a nurse briefly freaked me out by suggesting that I might need to be on pelvic rest, but my midwife said that was not necessary and I should just keep an eye out for any bleeding.  No one even mentioned the 20 lb thing.  Unless the cervix is actually blocked, I would talk to your doctor and push back about those restrictions.  In the vast majority of cases, the placenta does move--I just had my follow-up ultrasound today and mine has resolved itself.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

As for the ERA, we opted for it both times. I am in the "more information, the better" camp. (I think that is the teacher in me. I always like to be prepared.) I am also AMA (37 with DS#1, and 39 with DS#2) so that also played a role in our decision. I knew that it wasn't a definitive test and I also knew about the rates of "false positives". I was willing to live with those facts. Luckily our ratios came back excellent both times and we didn't feel the need to do any further testing before our 18 week anatomy scan.

As for leg cramps, one tip I read that has worked for me, is to try and stretch your calves by pointing your toe forward instead of flexing your heel back. If I forget and flex my heel, I almost always cramp up. If I make the effort to point, I find I can head off a number of cramps. I haven't had any issues with shin cramps. Yuck.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pittftw. Show pittftw's posts

Thistle, they specifically said pelvic rest for me, though it doesn't sound like the placenta is over the cervix - just quite near. I'm not going to mess around with pushing back on the restrictions, but I was just surprised since I hasn't heard about them before. 10 weeks is a long time to wait this out...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

Leg cramps are very annoying and sadly for me were common pre-pg.  They haven't gotten worse, but my already achy legs have been much achier.  I drink lots of water anyway, so maybe that helps me.  Electrolyte imbalance is often association with charlies horses- raisins or bananas if you like either of them can be good sources.  Stretching/yoga has also been very helpful for me- I do the same things I mentioned in response to Krystabel's posts to loosen my entire lower body.  Another thing I learned in a prenatal yoga class is "legs up the wall"- basically, you put a thick blanket under your hips to prop you up as you lie on your back with your legs against the wall.  I can't do it for very long, of course, but while my legs are up there I do circles with my feet and kind of move them up and down.  It's supposed to be a restorative pose and I've definitely found it to be helpful.  Also, DH is really fantastic about giving me leg/foot massages when I plop my feet into his lap :o) 

Pitt- good luck with the placenta previa!  I hope the next 10 weeks fly by for you (and I'm sure they will).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Thanks for all of the thoughts on ERA.  It has helped me think through my feelings on this.  Don't know if we are going to go for it or not, but the way I have framed it now is: would I think the risks of amniocentesis were worth it, if I were, say 37?  Because the result of a positive screen would put me in a risk bin similar to a woman aged between 35-40.  Basically my main hesitation here is that if there is a positive screen, I'm still not sure that I would want the amnio due to the risks of the procedure.  (If it were risk-free, I'd definitely go for it.)  And without further testing, knowing that you have, say a 1:200 chance of Down's is more stressful than helpful.

itsallnew--i'm so happy to hear that legs-up-the-wall is considered safe later in pregnancy.  it is one of my favorites.  I was worried you couldn't do it because of the lying on the back thing.

pittfw--sorry about the rest!  that's crummy.  hopefully they lift it at 28 weeks.

and, i hear you about the day care stuff!!  We are visiting one next week.  It seems insane because I'll be just at week 9 of this pregnancy, but the 2 centers I contacted urged me to get on the wait lists right away.  We're looking for July.  I'd much rather wait until the 2nd trimester for this, but looks like that would be risky.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Pitt- I also have a low-lying placenta and am on the "no intercourse, no strenuous exercise, and no heavy lifting" restrictions.  My doctor didn't specify a weight limit, but just said no heavy lifting. She said to stick to walking and other low-impact exercise. 

Honestly, the worst part was my husband's face when she said no intercourse for 10 weeks (and his subsequent looks of defeat when I tell him "doctor's orders")!  We have our f/u scan in 2 weeks, and hopefully we will see that it has moved. 

Thanks for the advice on the leg cramps.  I used to eat a banana a day, but had bad reactions to them in my first trimester.  I've steered clear ever since, but think maybe I should try them again.  I'm trying to stay more hydrated and the chocolate is a great idea!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Kiwi -- Congrats on reaching 36 weeks! Glad everything seems right on track.

Pitt -- That stinks about the placenta and the restrictions -- hang in there!

Siena -- I just did the first part of my ERA (I opted for the two-step blood test on doc's recommendation and b/c it coincided with my next appt anyway). I'm only 30 and therefore low-risk, but my doc presented it to me as almost a given. Reading the comments here, I'm feeling a bit peeved that she didn't talk it through more with me. She just told me that at least one of the conditions it tests for (Trisomy 8?) is almost always fatal to the child, and though we really didn't know whether we'd consider termination under even those dire circumstances, it seemed a good thing to know. I agreed without fully understanding that a positive result would mean choosing amnio or CVS, and, without having my full results yet, I am pretty sure I wouldn't do either of those given the high false positive rate.

That said, I think I may end up happy I did the screen regardless -- though I'll withhold full judgment until I get my blood test results. My u/s was normal, and I was so happy to have it. We did have an early u/s, but this was SO different. We saw the baby actually looking like a baby as opposed to the little pulsating blob it looked like at 6 weeks, and we saw him/her squirming around like mad.

Also on the topic of the u/s, did anyone else who had one at 12 weeks have the option to tell the sex? DH and I were shocked when the tech said she could tell us with 95% certainty -- we were certain we'd have to wait until 18 weeks at least. I was so tempted, but DH wanted to wait another 6 weeks since we'd planned to anyway and we didn't want to start planning for a boy or girl only to hear the opposite a few weeks later. Just a couple days later, I talked to my cousin who is due in November. They told her she was having a girl at 12 weeks, but at 18 -- oops, it was a boy! I'm glad DH convinced me to be patient a little longer :-).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krystabel. Show Krystabel's posts

Hey Everyone, Happy Monday!!  Hope everyone weathers the storm with minimal damage.  We had a couple of really big tree limbs fall in our yard, but thanksfully no where near the house and other than than we escaped unscathed and with out flooding. Although DH did have to go out and unclog the storm drain at the end of our driveway because there was like 10" of water across our street and creaping in to our front yard.  Luckily none of it made it in to our basement.

Just my 2 cents on the ERA - I chose not to do it, although I was told I was in the minority that most women do it.  I knew there was no way I'd terminate and if the results were questionable it would just make me worry for the rest of the pregnancy.  As I understood it they can't say for sure one way or another they just give you your odds like 300:1 or 30,000:1 for the likelihood of a particular birth defect.  

I was told at 18 weeks that I had a low lying placenta too.  I think it is really common and a good reason to wait (if you can :-) to have the ultrasound until 20 weeks... I was told at the time that it is really common for the placenta attach fairly low when the tterus is still small and when the uterus grows the spot it is attached to naturally moves up.  They did a 2nd ultrasound around 20-22 weeks (I don't remember exactly when) and it had moved up so no need to watch it further.  From what I was told it is really common for it to move up.

AFM - No baby yet... 5 days until my "due date" ... given the talk about the barametric pressure, I had high hopes for an August baby, but that hope is fading... only 2.5 days left for that to happen. I am definitely ready - especially ready to be DONE working for a while!  People are watching me like I am a ticking time bomb.  Also, the comments (today I got: "so you have the waddle going on huh" - from someone I had considered to be totally normal) ... I can't imagine that it is hormones that is making me sensitive to that - maybe it is, but it just seems rude pregnant or not!  I would NEVER say that anyone... I was thinking if the advice I got from you ladies last week and though but didn't have the nerve to say " I see you have  the 2" gray roots going on huh?"  ...Just focusing on getting through these last few days (or weeks uggg) with grace until I can be out of here for 12 weeks!

I got a prenatal massage Friday afternoon - it was heaven!!! my back is still acky, but much less after the massage - it helped SO much!!!) she asked if I was ready and when I said yes VERY confidently she offered to massage my feet to trigger labor .. my response of course "Do it up!"  LOL ... sadly it didn't work!  ... at least not yet.  She also let DH come in after my appt and she showed him massage techniques to help me in labor!  That was SO nice of her!  I go to Bodyography in Melrose and see Emily (http://www.bodyography.net/) if anyone is interested in an excellent massage therapist who does excellent theraputic massage and is certified in prenatal and infant massage as well.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from twin04. Show twin04's posts

Jennifyr - I've had the leg cramps for a while now. I usually have to walk around for 5 or so minutes and drink some water. My MW told me to take 1,000mg of magnesium. I don't think it works. My cousin had them too and she said the liquid mag was the only thing that worked for her. Some nights (like the last couple) have been much better. Hope you get some relief.

Pitt - Congrats on finding out you are having a baby boy!! That is so exciting. Hope the daycare search goes well and you can find one that works well for your family!!! Sorry to hear about your low-laying placenta. Hopefully it will move up by the next u/s.

Krysta - Boo to no baby this weekend. The LO will be here soon. How long is your doctor going to let you go past your due date? Your massage sounds like Heaven!! I would love to get one, but not sure I'll have time to fit it in before delivery.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Can't say that I'm not a tiny bit disappointed that we didn't have any hurricane babies this weekend!

I'm grateful for the nice, dry weather this week. Just hanging in otherwise. For me, no news is good news at this point!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krystabel. Show Krystabel's posts

Oh Twin - Make time for a massage!  you will NOT be sorry! I thought the same thing about not having time and worried about spending the money since DH was just laid off and we are now down to one income and I won't be working for 12 weeks... but because my back was so sore and I was hobbling around - I made the appt at my DH's strong encouragement.  DH actually helped me feel better - he was like "you are 39 weeks pregnant, in pain and this will help you consider it a medical appt."  I made it for 3pm Friday and just left work early.  It was SO worth it!! I actually just said I have an appt (everyone at work assumed it was another Dr appt - even though I'd already had two last week) and left .. I was a little guilty at first, but given the relief I have after - it was worth it!!!

Kiwi - I agree!  I was happily volunteering to be the mom of a "storm baby" .. no such luck.  ..I even did stuff to try to make that happen... still no luck :-)  ..I also agree! this weather is AWESOME!!  How are you doing?  I am assuming that the little guy is still hanging out and comfy - are you still in the hospital or have you been able to go home?

So I got a BIG surprise this afternoon!!  At 2pm the HR mgr came rushing in to my office saying she needed me in the big conference room asap to explain something to a new employee... well when I got there there were 20 people (men and women including my boss and fellow mgrs) a cake and presents!! It was SO nice and a HUGE surprise - I turned bright red (or so I was told)!  NOw I feel guilty bitching about the wierd comments ... LOL! It was really sweet.  

...so stemming from that (and my apparent inability to make a short post on this board - sorry about that!)  ...

...I have an ediquette question.  I got a very generous gift card, several cute outfits and cute that all came with one card signed by 30 people.  How should I handle the thank you note(s)?  I am pretty sure they all pitched in for the gifts and card... my boss did tell me who organized it so I can send her a solo thank you note ... but should I send each person who signed the card a separate note or just a general thank you card in the common area  ... or an e-mail to each?  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

Krystabel- in the past, people have written a single thank you note for the division and it's pinned up on a board where everyone can see it.  I don't think you need to do 30 separate ones at all.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

Krysta, I received a couple similar group gifts from people at work.  I wrote one note card (for each group) and put it where they would see it, also sent an email addressed to all who signed the card inviting them to enjoy some cookies I made as a thank you.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Krysta - thanks for the tip on the massage place.  I have been looking for a good prenatal massage place.  Their website doesn't mention their hours - would you happen to know if they do evening appointments? 

That's so great they threw you a surprise shower!  I agree - I would write a note to be pinned up in a common area, and then send an email to everyone as well.  wedoct's idea of bringing in cookies is also a nice touch.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krystabel. Show Krystabel's posts

love the idea on the single thank you note and the cookies
    thank you for the great suggestions

jenn emily does make evening appts, i needed one kind of last minute do i took a day appt and just left work early.  she also does saturdays i think.

sorry for the lack of formatting boston.com is acting funny on my work computer so i   can only access from my ohone and it doesnt recognize the alt keys