August - Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krystabel. Show Krystabel's posts

Re: August - Pregnancy

Lissa - Thank you, that is a good tip if I do need one!

LLLE - thanks for the heads up!! I will ask at my next appt.

Hugh - I am planning to avoid an epi, and all other medical intervention is at all possible.... part of the reason I don't want an IV.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maple76. Show Maple76's posts

In Response to Re: August - Pregnancy:
    I've been on the GD diet for about 3 weeks now. I've lost every week 1-2 pounds. This past week I'm down 5. I'm not looking forward to this appt at all. Anyone know what, if anything, would they do because of this?
    Posted by twin04

Twin - I also struggled with GD. Trying to control it with diet and exercise worked for only a couple of weeks because I was losing weight. I ended up on glyburide (sp?) - works like insulin, but is an oral medication. This allowed me to eat a little more and prevented further weight loss.

All of my US predicted a big baby...9+ pounds. She ended up being only 8 pounds and she arrived a week early.

The closer I got to my DD, the harder it was to manage the GD. Maybe it was the medication or just different hormones, but I had sharp spikes and drops in my gluclose levels. The drops were the scariest. I found it helpful to always have OJ on hand in case I dropped too low.

Good luck with the GD in the home stretch!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

In Response to Re: August - Pregnancy:
    Lissa - Thank you, that is a good tip if I do need one! LLLE - thanks for the heads up!! I will ask at my next appt. Hugh - I am planning to avoid an epi, and all other medical intervention is at all possible.... part of the reason I don't want an IV.
    Posted by Krystabel

You can have a natural childbirth with the IV.  Other than the antibiotics and the antiemitic I had a natural childbirth, no epi or anything.  If you can avoid the IV it's great but don't think your chance has gone if you do need one.  They HAVE to get your permission for ANY drugs they put into you.  It's not like they're going to be sneaking pitocin into you without your permission or anything.  I get the sentiment to avoid it all, though.  I would have done the same thing if it weren't for the strep B.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krystabel. Show Krystabel's posts

Lissa - Thank you!  That is a good reminder and you hit the nail on the head ...  I guess rationally I know they can't sneak up behind me with pitocin or an epi, LOL, but now that you articulated my fear I can recognize that it is a little silly.  thank you. :-)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

Krystabel, I also would like to have a natural birth and also worry about the IV--I think I have a disproportionate amount of anxiety about it, not so much because I think they're going to slip pitocin in there when I'm looking the other way, but because it brings back the memories of a couple of different really sad/awful ER visits around my ectopic pregnancy.  I really want to be able to move around freely and feel as non-medical as possible during labor--plus, I just really hate having that thing in my arm.  Remind me where you're delivering (if you're willing to share that?)  I'm currently at MGH but kind of wondering if I should switch.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krystabel. Show Krystabel's posts

Hi Thistleflower, I am delivering at NWH with the midwives t Harvard Vanguard ... I actually just posted a long explination in the post about NWH

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krystabel. Show Krystabel's posts

Sorry - NWH is Newton Wellesley Hosp

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

Arcain-I didn't find my daycare through the site but its listed on there.  I ended up going with a school for DD and used the site to search primarily for home based daycares.

Krystabel-Try not to worry about the GBS test.  I wanted to go natural as well and tested positive for the test.  I was so disappointed because I did not want an IV and wanted freedom of movement.  In the end, I ended up needing a c-section and it really hit home the point that we can plan the birth as much as possible but it really is out of our control. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

I'm very relieved to say I passed the one-hour GD test!  The other blood work was also fine, but apparently iron is a little low.  It doesn't sound like anything to worry about too much, but they'd like me to eat more iron-rich foods.  Unfortunately looking online it seems very difficult to get the amount they recommend for pregnant women from diet (I'm a vegetarian, but even aside from that, it just doesn't seem like most foods have that much).  Of course, my prenatal has 156% of my DV, but apparently that isn't working. 

Also, thanks to everyone for the advice about my chest pain.  My midwife thinks I could have costochondritis (that is undoubtedly spelled wrong), which is an inflammation where the ribs meet the cartilage that connects them to the sternum, which would make sense to me--but it's not something they'll do anything about, so I guess I'll just deal with it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

thistle--congrats on passing the test!

I am writing from the hospital this morning. I've been here since Saturday. I woke up with some bleeding so they had me come in right away. Based on the testing and ultrasounds, it looks like I have a small placental abruption. I am only 34.5 weeks, so we want the bub to stay put! (I told you last week that he's been a stubborn little guy.) I'm in the hospital until Friday at least (for observation and bed rest). We're all hoping to get the little guy to 39 weeks (so far, everything is great with the bub--breathing, heart rate, movement, etc.). Even if I get sprung, I'll be off work on rest and going in every other day for monitoring. We all want to avoid a c/section, but the bub is all over the place--sideways last week, head down on Saturday, head up yesterday, etc. So, we just have to wait and see. Think lots of good thoughts for us, ladies!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pittftw. Show pittftw's posts

Good luck, Kiwi! Sorry to hear that you're on bedrest so soon and having such trouble. At least your LO is still doing well, even if he's being a bit pesky :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

thistleflower--I'm veg too, so here are a few ideas for your iron intake, in case it's helpful.  
    -Make sure you are get sufficient vitamin C daily, since that assists with iron absorption.  
    -One way that might be easy to increase your intake is cook with cast iron skillets.  They are great cookware to begin with--inexpensive and promote great even browning.  Once well seasoned, they are practically nonstick.  
    -if you like the taste of blackstrap mollases--it's polarizing, I know--try putting some on your breakfast cereal or oatmeal in the morning.  It is quite iron rich. (And it has to be blackstrap, not regular, mollases for the maximum benefit.)
    -avoid tea, since the tannins in tea inhibit iron absorption

...okay, sorry if that is redundant bc I know you have been doing your own research, but maybe it will be helpful to someone on here. good luck!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

Thistle - my iron was very low and I tried for a few months to get it up without supplements.  I was eating so much iron I thought I would turn green, but it still wasn't enough.  I really didn't want to take a supplement because I was finally having regular bm's again.  My midwife recommended Floravital...it is a liquid (vegetarian) supplement that actually has a much higher absorption rate than the pill form.  It doesn't taste good and it's kindof expensive...but for me, it has been worth it.  My iron levels went up to where they should be in no time and it doesn't cause constipation.  They sell it at Whole Foods and other natural food stores.

Kiwi - good luck!  In our thoughts...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

Kiwi, good luck!  This must all be stressful and frustrating--I hope he hangs out in there as long as possible!

Thanks for the advice on iron.  I do cook in cast iron already almost all the time, and I also get a ton of vitamin c.  And I am taking the prenatal supplement.  (My tea habit may not be helping, it sounds like!) I've had my iron tested a number of times (including early in this pregnancy) and it's always been fine, so I'm kind of surprised.  I will look into buying some blackstrap molasses, and maybe also the Floravital--they said to just increase dietary levels, not take more supplements, but clearly I'm not absorbing what's already in the supplement.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Hi Everybody! 

I haven't been on the computer for a while, but I'm finally getting back into the swing of things.  DS was born last Monday, 8/8 at 1:18pm via the scheduled c-sec.  The same time to the minute that his sis was born!  He was 7lbs 6oz and 20.5 inches long.  It was pretty uneventful.  My milk came in on the third day and he's been nursing like a champ.  At his pedi visit today he was 1oz shy of his birth weight.  He is such a good little guy - possibly even more chill than his big sis!  We've been home for a few days now - released early for good behavior!  LOL.  DD likes to pet the top of his head and calls him a cat.  :)  I guess that's better than trying to poke his eyes out!  My MIL arrives today too.  I'm so looking forward to her help.

I haven't read all the posts, but Kiwi, you are in my thoughts!  Good luck to you and the family.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Congrats, Trouble, on an uneventful birth!! It's great to hear that you have a happy, healthy little man on your hands. Enjoy these early days getting to know him!! :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Kiwi - Good luck! Such a bummer to be on bedrest but you sound like you have a good attitude about it. I'll be hoping the little guy decides he wants to stay put a few more weeks!

Trouble - Congratulations! So funny he was born at the same time as his sister. Glad to hear you're enjoying the first weeks.

Siena and Thistle - So glad to see there are other vegs on here! When did you get your low iron results? I'm surprised my blood has never tested anemic, and was worried about it in pregnancy, but so far nothing's come back. Good suggestions, though -- I can definitely only eat so much kale (though we're getting plenty of it through our CSA).

Anyone else hear the Radio Boston story just now (or any others) on the early gender test they're now saying is credible? Interesting stuff, and I understand there are some concerns about people's motives for using it. Personally, I'd love to know now just because I'm impatient. Hopefully only 8 weeks or so until the suspense is up!

AFM - Doc was right and m/s seems to be stepping up in these last few weeks of the first tri. Plain noodles and ice cream is all I seem to want, though I've been forcing myself to have some more variety, so far with positive results. I bought my first maternity pants yesterday and can't wait til they're hemmed and I can start wearing them to work. The Be Band has lost its novelty and the 2 layers of material right at my (so far very low) bump just make me look like I have a weird growth :-).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from twin04. Show twin04's posts

Kiwi - Keeping everything crossed that your LO stays put a little while longer.

Trouble - Congrats on your new addition!! How exciting to finally have him here.

Hi EOE!!!!

AFM - Had my shower yesterday. We are so blessed to have recieved all the gifts we did and the shower was absolutely beautiful!!! Hopefully I have about 4 1/2 weeks left to go (well til my due date). Still need to finish up some house tasks and get the baby's room done, but hopefully I'll be doing that this weekend. Thinking of you all!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

Congrats Trouble!  8/8 is a good date...my favorite person's bday.  Enjoy your new kitten!  Your DD is too cute.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

Arcain, I had bloodwork done at my first official maternity appointment around 9 weeks--iron was fine then.  They repeated some of the bloodwork at about 29 weeks and it's apparently now a little low.

Trouble--congratulations!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Congrats, Trouble!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

yay trouble! Congrats!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc95. Show tc95's posts

Congrats Trouble!  so glad to hear you and your little boy are doing well.

Good luck Kiwi, here's hoping your little one can be patient for the next few weeks.

For those who have had a baby shower, did someone other than a mother or sister plan it?  My mom has medical issues and I don't think my only sister was planning to do anything (she never wanted a shower when she was expecting years ago) but DH's family has been asking me about it. I think they don't want to overstep if my sister plans on doing something so should I just let them know they can plan something if they want to- and maybe call my sister to let her know?  I find showers a little awkward, I like the idea but feel a bit guilty if I think people are going to a lot of trouble for me. Thoughts?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Congrats Trouble! Yay for healthy babies!

Kiwi-sorry to hear about the abruption. Sounds like it's a "small" one and hopefully everything will be fine. sending you positive thoughts.

Good luck to everyone else!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Trouble--congratulations!!  :)

Kiwi--good luck! Hope the little one stays put for now.

Arcain--I've had bloodwork done a couple times pre-pregnancy, and have never had any problems with iron deficiency, even though I'm vegan. I just have an interest in nutrition--I think that comes along with being vegan, since people question me a lot about my nutritional intake.  So those were some ideas I had.  

I haven't seen my OB yet, so haven't had a new round of bloodwork done yet. Actually, my appt isn't until the beginning of week 12, which seems like a really long time to wait.  Anyone else have to wait that long for an appointment?  Oh well.  I keep telling myself there isn't much they could do for me earlier, anyway.  I do want the time to hurry up and pass though, so I can get some reassurance from the doc (hopefully).

Sections
Shortcuts