August Updates

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbg109. Show mbg109's posts

Re: August Updates

Okay, so I am thinking there may be some varying opinions about this one, but I'll throw the question out there anyway: What do you guys all think of getting your hair colored while pregnant?  I am really hoping to have it done-- well, highlights/lowlights to cover my grays, not full-on all-over scalp cover-- in my second trimester.  (I am getting bummed out with the gray I have now, but I just don't want to do anything in the first trimester.)  What are your thoughts?  Am I doing something too risky?  I am not high-maintenance-- this is my one vanity issue, but I need the color!  LOL! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

MBG, I am by no means an expert on the subject, but I've seen it mentioned a few times in books and on websites and it usually suggests that avoiding dye jobs is outdated info and it's fine to do it.  As with everything else, I'd ask my doctor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

mbg, I actually asked my doctor about this a couple weeks ago!  I use a semi-permanent color on my hair every month or so.  My doctor said that it should be okay as long as I have someone else do it for me and I'm not handling the chemicals myself.  Seems a little odd since you eventually put all those chemicals on your head, but whatever.  :)

I can't help but think of hairdressers...I've known plenty of them that work throughout their whole pregnancy.  If the chemicals were that dangerous for pregnant women, you'd think they couldn't be at work handling them every day, right?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

My ob packet specifically says go head and dye your hair for what that is worth.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

I have heard varying sides, but my GYN told me that temporary color or highlights were best. Highlights b/c the chemicals dont' go directly into your scalp - makes sense, sorta. But I know of many women who colored their hair all throughout pregnancy and were fine. Best bet is to get your doctor's opinion and make your own judgement but it sounds like you're doing highlights anyway so I think you'll be OK.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

speaking of hair, I just mentioned to DH that I want to cut mine and he flipped out. Ugh. Men are so annoying.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

SilverFestiva - I bet he's afraid your going to get one of those "mom" haircuts. Next tell him you want some really comfortable jeans with an elastic waist band (oh, wait...those are maternity jeans!)

mbg - I dyed my hair in my second trimester and was just thinking about getting a touch up this weekend (heading to 38 weeks). My doctor said it was fine too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

I sooo need a haircut!  I did highlights in my hair during the second trimester.  Dr said it was fine.  I have to say I never got that great pregnancy hair that some people talk about but my nails are incredible!! I'm not looking forward to it falling out after the baby though!

The shirts on that site were soo cute!  I'm too late for the little kicker shirt but that is okay.  We got some super cute onsies for our DS though!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

I am going to just have to chop it off and not tell him. I only want to go like a little above my shoulders (that's not a mom cut, right?). My hair is halfway down my back right now so it would be like 10 inches cut off. eeeek!

5 weeks on the dot today and so bloated it is not even funny. If I don't s*ck in my stomach I already look 5 months pregnant, except its gross and not at all cute. Pretty sure this is normal (?), not sure how to alleviate it. I drink a ton of water already.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

Re: haircolor, for my first, I skipped it in the first trimester, just by a scheduling fluke as I was undecided (holy grey hair that had appeared by then!) and then I went back to my every 6 weeks thru the remainder of that pregnancy.  My OB at that time said it was fine in any case.

This time, I did get a color before my first appt, where they advised against it (different OB) and have continued to every 6 weeks since (this is my only vanity item as well)

There is a lot of conflicting info out there, so you have to do what feels right for you.

Update on my situation: Still no sign of DS, at my last appt (Monday) the doc said that I just had to wait it out like everyone else :)  I had to force the issue a bit, but I got him (funny enough an old, bow-tie wearing male doctor) to sit down and talk things thru with me.  Also this week's non stress test and ultrasound both were good - fluid level is down slightly, but at least not increasing!  (and much less stressful than last week's events that bummed me out so much)  I had pretty strong contractions every 6-7 minutes from 3am to 6am yesterday, at which time I got up, had a bagel and a shower and they stopped.  Go figure. 

Woke up this am and it was 78 deg in the house, with the AC running... but it was blowing hot air!  uh-oh (and I work from home now)  Thankfully after we shut it off for a while it seems to work again, and we installed a back-up window unit in our room!  Looking forward to some cooler weather this weekend!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've taken to making hair appointments and getting it done without warning DH it's about to happen.  It skips the inevitable, "But, WHYYYYYYYY?!" and goes right to, "Oh, your hair looks great!"  He always loves it after it's cut - I don't get why he thinks he never wants me to do it.  Even when I got it cut exactly like you did, Silver, with losing 8 or 9 inches so it ended up just above my shoulders, he almost cried at the thought but loved the result.

You're not eating Fiber One bars (or anything else with chicory root), are you?  I know bloating is normal for pg, but those thing bloat me up like a whale and I'm not pg.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Silver - I think we are right around the same point of our pregnancy (based on my calculations, my appt is not until next week) but I put on a pair of jeans this morning and they were tight.  I will say I do eat all day to help keep from getting sick so that may already be affecting the way my clothes fit.

Regarding the haircut, I think that sounds really cute, not mom-ish at all.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Yeah, its funny the jeans I put on today I actually chose b/c I thought they would be loose. HA, not so much!

Nope, no Fiber One bars. I did have a whole wheat deli flat this morning w/ peanut butter but that was after I put on the jeans. Hmm, we ate  Cubanos at Chez Henri last night (soo good if you haven't had them). That might be the heaviest/saltiest thing I've eaten all week, so maybe that is the culprit.

KT, I'm glad we can go along this parallel! My appt is 8/19 and I think I'll be almost 7 weeks at that point based on LMP. although I'm fairly certain I know when I ovulated so that should be pretty accurate.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I was kidding about the Mom haircut, but I imagine this early in your pregnancy your husband is a little nervous about ANY change. During my 1Tri, I was very sick and I felt so bad for my husband because he was nervous about becoming a parent to begin with, and then his wife just became incredibly debilitatingly ill - he tells me now it scared the H*LL out of him and he thought his happy life was over.

Whatever you decide to do with the haircut, if it's long now, keep it long enough that you can pull it back or put it up if you need to (shoulder length sounds perfect). If you get the pregnancy fro or thick and luscious hair during your 2Tri, you'll want to have the option of pulling it up. My stylist actually refused to cut my hair for exactly that reason!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Is 8/19 for your 1st appt or did I read you are also having an early u/s? 
    My appt is 8/12 but I really have no idea when I ovulated but I'm guessing by that point I'd be 6 weeks (at least) based on the HPT results?  I'm hoping to have an u/s two weeks later to ensure that things are going well and to put my mind at ease.  We are also going on vac to visit DH's family Labor day week and I'd love to be able to give them the good news in person so hopefully I'll be able to have an U/S before then.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Yeah, my OB requires and u/s before the first appt so I have the u/s at 2:00 and the appt with him at 2:40.

I hope they give you the 8 week u/s! That would be great to be able to relax on vacation. I'm hoping for the same luck when my parents are here the week before labor day.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Canuk - glad that you are having a less stressful week and that things are looking good!!  Also glad you got your a/c working again.  Funny story: we have one of those portable a/c units (looks like R2D2) where you have to stick the tube out a window.  Yesterday my DH (who works from home) was emailing me and kept saying how it was still hot in the house even though he had R2 on... he was perplexed all day.  Well, I come home and take one look at R2 and realize why DH has been hot all day.  I had taken the tube out of the window so I could close and lock the window before bed the previous night (that particular window is accessible from our front porch) and he didn't notice!  So the hot air from the a/c was filtering right back into the room all day.  Poor guy, he felt so silly!

Re: hair coloring - ditto what others said - I don't think it's dangerous.  However if you're in your 1st trimester and sensitive to smells, you may want to wait a bit.  That stuff can stink (esp. in a salon)!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

One other thing re: bloating, etc.  I had NO IDEA how much havoc pregnancy could wreak on one's digestive system.  I was waiting for the nausea, but did not expect the intestinal disruptions.  I had the worst gas pains of my life (so I can see why the friend I posted about in my other thread was in so much pain) which, if you're not familiar with them (which I wasn't), feel like menstrual cramps.  So they terrified me.  Just want to warn others in case this happens to you!  It didn't matter what I ate or didn't eat - late 1st tri/early 2nd tri I had this a LOT.  Gas-X became my best friend.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

Silver, I was really bloated in the beginning for too.  For awhile it was my only symptom.  It gets better, but then the bump appears :-)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I have to say, DH is pretty great when it comes to haircuts.  I told him last year that I wanted to get almost a pixie cut immediately after the wedding and his response was basically, You should do whatever you want.  Unfortunately/fortunately, my hairdresser convinced me that I have too much hair for that and it'd look poofy... Still need to get a second opinion about that!

For those of you who held off on telling work or are planning to hold off, would you mind sharing your reasons?  It's getting harder and harder not to share the news, but before I start blabbing I'd love to hear some other perspectives.  Are you afraid of work's reaction?  Afraid of miscarriage?  Do you just prefer to maintain your privacy?  Thanks!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

If you have thick hair she could thin it out (I think). But I'm not a hairdresser...I have a lot of hair and I have to straighten it daily and it still poofs up.

Re: work...it is likely I'll tell my boss after the u/s on the 19th assuming all goes well. I have no reason for not telling now other than just being scared and not wanting to have all the pity looks again for weeks (only a handful of people from work knew, but I am pretty sure the gossiper of the company told several people after the fact). He'll be very flexible if I start feeling sick or have frequent appointments so I'm not worried about that at all, I'm actually very lucky to have the boss that I have.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

Fram, I'm holding out as long as I can as far as telling work goes.  I have a few reasons, the main one being that we haven't even told our families yet other than my parents.  I wanted to wait until at least 12 weeks before telling anyone else.

The second reason is simply that I like my privacy.  I don't like discussing my personal life at work, and I know that as soon as people find out I'm pregnant they're going to ask me a ton of questions and try to give me a ton of advice.  I like a strict separation between work life and personal life, and too many people can't seem to differentiate between the two.  I do have a few close work friends that I spend a lot of time with outside of work, so I'm not completely anti-social while I'm here.  ;-)

In a way I'm also not looking forward to telling my boss.  I was recently reassigned to a new boss, and he kinda s*cks. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Fram, everyone's different, but for me, I just enjoyed the pre-public phase.  Once you Share The News on a big scale, it's ALL anyone asks you about.  Which may be great for you, but I found/find it kind of annoying.  

It's just a bell you can't unring, and, yes, I was wary of sharing before that 12-week mark.  I waited until our Early Risk Assessment, which was also our first ultrasound.  Once those results came back OK, then I told my larger team.  My boss had knows a week or two prior.  

FWIW, I had a MC with my first pregnancy.  That probably colored my reaction/approach.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks for sharing ladies.  Like GC mentioned, I don't want to ring a bell that can't be unrung, so I was really interested in other views.

A few people have mentioned how it was nice to have it just between them and DH.  At first, I didn't get it, but once we told our parents I understood.  It's hard to explain, and no one has really hassled us, but it's just different once other people know.

Hopefully this won't sound silly, but there are currently two pregnant women at work and I can't wait to join them!  One is also due in February.  Will be reaching 12 weeks this week, and having another ultrasound, so we'll see how I feel after that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbg109. Show mbg109's posts

Fram, I am keeping this a secret for as long as possible from work...  I don't think it will be easy-- I am excited to share the news!  However, I will be going on leave at the WORST possible time for my job.  (My DH and I considered suspending TTC until we passed this three-month window, but we were trying for so long and nothing was happening.  And we wanted a baby so badly-- and family trumps work!-- so we just kept at it, and voila!  I am due at the most challenging time work-wise.)  So, that, coupled with my elevated risk, translates to me just wanting to wait to cause any waves at work until I know that everything is going swimmingly.  I also don't want to tell work before we tell our families...  We don't plan to tell our parents until 11 weeks (mine) and 14 weeks (his, when they come to visit).  So, we are waiting until end of September/early October to actually make this public information.  I want to feel like it's fun to share this secret with DH, but I am not a fan of secrets-- I feel like I am being deceitful somehow.  (Maybe I'll want the secret back once we tell our families!)  I am looking forward to October for sure!  Good luck to all the other first tri ladies as you guys plan how to tell work-- and everyone else!

Sections
Shortcuts