Baby Budget

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LLTyrrell. Show LLTyrrell's posts

Baby Budget

So with my DD's arrival rapidly approaching I've started to look over my expenses and figure out where I can cut back. I decided I didn't NEED to have all the cable channels, getting a bj's membership and buying in bulk, and other similiar "sacrifices." I was just wondering if any of you all had creative ideas to help cut back on your budget? Thanks

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Re: Baby Budget

praying for a huge tax return to payoff our debt. :-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from msol. Show msol's posts

I just want to say that having a BJ's membership is great for buying diapers, formula, wipes, diaper jeanie refills, etc....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

DH and I realized we eat a lot of our income.  So we'll really have to scale back on what we buy at work (coffees, sandwiches, treats, etc.) and how often we go out to dinner.  We have been working on making lunch at home, making large enough dinners so we have leftovers, etc.  Quitting coffee has been a big help!

Otherwise, I think that's our main concern...it's really amazing when you add it all up!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We gave up our landline and found a cell plan that just meets our needs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

So far I have stopped buying coffee.  Not drinking, just buying - it's free at work or I make it at home. 
    We have also cut back on eating out.  We haven't been good enough about it, but we have cut back.

I'd love to cut back on the cell phone bill but DH loves that blackberry.

We have separate car insurance, so I'm going to look into what we could do to combine and decrease that bill.

We haven't turned the heat on yet... but luckily the neighbors upstairs and downstairs have!!

When buying in bulk at BJs, make sure you are really going to eat what you buy.  You aren't truly saving money if you end up throwing away half a box of food a month later.  Just a thought!  Maybe we will get a membership too, since it seems to be good for baby gear.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, yeah, we cook everything at home and make our own coffee.  You don't need mac n cheese every day to make it much more economical than eating out.  Even once a week adds up to a lot per year on restaurants.  Spend $2.50/workday on coffee, and it's $500/year.   Our dinners at home cost about $5/person, usually, if we have meat.  We spend about $50 out.  So, at a difference of $45, $45 * 52 weeks is over $2000 per year on a "treat" of going out to eat once a week.

$2500/year saved by making coffee at home and cutting one night out per week at a restaurant...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

We have a BJs membership with my MIL and SIL. One additional person is free (unless that was a special promotion they were doing), and any additional after that is $20. So you get 3 people on the same card, and split it 3 ways and it makes it cheaper for the whole year and more worth it.

We buy all our paper goods from BJs, so we only have to go there once every 3 months or so, not even!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I would keep the BJs membership (we belong to Costco, and the prices on things like diapers, laundry detergent and milk will help make up the cost of membership.)
    Eating out less is a good start, DH and I have always brought our own lunches, but cooking more at home for dinner is a big help.
    I am a big fan of coupons, and buying things on sale, so I will look at the grocery circulars and try and make lists based on whats on sale. I still spend a ton on groceries, but if I save $40-$50 I feel like I've done a pretty good job.
    We've also done things like get an energy audit for the house to try and reduce heating costs (I don't know if it has saved us significantly yet, I'll have to see how this winter goes.)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

I agree about th BJ's membership - it has saved us a lot of money on diapers and wipes.  And you can use coupons there, so that helps too.

Instead of going to the movies or paying for the cable movie channels, you could get a subscription to Netflix.  It is only about $10/month I think.

As for going out to dinner, once the baby comes, that will probably be taken out of your budget automatically for a little while.  I have a 3.5 month old daughter and I think the last time my husband and I went to a restaurant together was in July (due to lack of a babysitter and lack of energy!).  I am glad that we went out to dinner every once in a while when I was pregnant - it is something that we truly enjoy.  Plus, with being pregnant I was ordering club soda instead of wine, so I was a cheap date!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Some other good ways to get movies are the Red Boxes at grocery stores or the library.  Red box is only $1 plus tax per night.  I've considered signing up for NetFlix, but I save by going to Red Box because we probably get 3 DVDs per month at the most.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

Coupons at BJ's!! Every time we go to BJ's we save $20-30.  We have a freezer in the cellar so we can stalk up on meats and frozen veggies.  We also find that it helps to plan your shopping trips and a menu for the week.  I also shop at a grocery store called Price Rite.  It is bare bones warehouse kind of store.  I have cut my grocery bill in half.  Oh yes and what everyone else as said about not eating out as much and bringing lunch/coffee to work helps too!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Bj's all the way - if you are willing to use generic diapers their's are $15 cheaper a case.  If you plan on using formula sign up on the Enfamil and Similac websites, you will get lots of coupons in the mail as well as some samples.  BJ's is also great for laundry detergent, dishwasher tablets, and things like that.

I only buy meat when its on sale, like chicken is 1.99/lb this week so I buy a ton, bag it individually and freeze for meals, that has saved a lot.  We really enjoyed (still do) going to the movies so Netflix was great for us, it is sometimes considered our date night and is WAY cheaper than going out even when we get take out.

If you commute those costs will obviously go down while you are on maternity leave, I love that. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LLTyrrell. Show LLTyrrell's posts

WOW! All of these ideas have helped me subdue some of my panic. I keep feeling like I'm not prepared enough but these thoughts help me realize that I need to take a deep breath (or several) and give myself some credit. We got a digital cable box that gets the basic channels so now I just pay for internet. Our cell phones have replaced landlines. And my aunt and uncle were kind enough to share their netflix password with us so we can watch it online on the TV at home for free. Just like everyone else, BJs has been great for TP and other paper products. We try to limit going out to dinner but I am also trying to take advantage of any alone time I can have with my DH now so every couple of weeks we go out on a date... I can't wait to see more tips that everybody has :-) They're great!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LLTyrrell. Show LLTyrrell's posts

And like you Silver, I am counting the days until I can file my taxes! haha.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

To help save after LO arrives, here are a few tips:

I like to buy baby toys and clothes secondhand.  I love craigslist and yard sales!  I ususally get clothing items for $1 a piece, and our best toy bargain yet was an exersaucer for $5!!  Usually the stuff is in great condition too because babies grow so quickly and use most toys/clothes for such a short period of time. 

Oh, and if you can BF and avoid formula, that's a huge savings too!  Even if you get a fancy, expensive pump :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Oh, yes, baby clothes can get pricey if you buy new - but at first you will get a ton of clothes as gifts, and if you have any friends/relatives with LOs near in age to yours, they might offer hand-me-downs. TAKE THEM! I am a big believer in getting as many free, or really cheap clothes as possible. Most infant clothes are worn only a few times before they get outgrown, so they can be passed around several times before they even look used. I have also bought things like a highchair and changing table off Craigslist, and got a booster seat from freecycle. They often have baby clothes offered, but I have never replied fast enough to score them.
    I wouldn't get a carseat used - they have a limited number of years before they expire, and you don't want one that might have been in a crash.  Other than that, I don't mind getting used baby items. If I don't like the condition, I can always turn it down.