Baby Monitor Recommendations

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

Baby Monitor Recommendations

Happy Monday!  Hope everyone is okay after Irene.

Any recommendations on baby monitors?  I am just looking at standard monitors, I don’t need any fancy video monitors.  We live in an apartment and the baby’s room is across the hall from us...literally his crib is less than 10 feet away from our bed.  Any feedback on digital vs. analog?  Sound only vs. motion sensing?

Appreciate it!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

Re: Baby Monitor Recommendations

Hi Leila - I know you said you weren't considering video but here's my two cents.  I thought the same thing when I was pregnant with DS so we went with a digital sound moniter.  Honestly we never really used it since his room was right next to ours except for when visiting my parents who have a really spread out house.  DS is now almost 14 mos (YIKES!) and I wish that we had the video monitor.  He is a climber and I would like to be able to see him in his crib especially since I've caught him trying to get out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

I would also second the video monitor.  We did not get one when DD was an infant (and the sound monitor we did get we barely used since we could hear her crying anywhere in the house) but did buy one when she was 2 and we moved her out of the crib.   We now have our 11 month twins in the same room with DD and it has been fascinating to watch what they get up to in there.  We still rarely use the sound part.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from betty7. Show betty7's posts

I will 3rd the video monitor recommendation.  I also never thought we'd want one, but when I was pregnant, we saw our friend's monitor and realized how useful it could be.  I think it keeps us from going in at every little sound.  We can see if she seems to be settling, or if all the pacifiers are out of the crib, etc. I can also imagine it will be useful eventually if she tries to climb out of the crib as coffeeQueen mentioned. 

We have a summer infant video monitor and have no complaints.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Are you sure you need one given your proximity to the baby's room?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

We have been very happy with the Sony Baby call.  It works great.  You can either leave it in the on mode or a noise activated. We find it works better to just leave it on.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Add me to the list of folks who wish they got a video monitor.  You might not need it right away, but like others have said, it would be nice to be able to glance at it when you hear a noise, or conversely, glance at it when you HAVEN'T heard a noise and are worried.  You will definitely have those moments as well.  I have woken DD up accidentally on a number of occasions because I'll suddenly realize it's 10pm and I haven't heard a peep since she went to bed at 7pm and I have to go in and check on her or I'll go crazy.  So between the creaky, uneven door, and the creaky, uneven floors, and me bending over and touching her to see if she's breathing... yeah, wish I had the video monitor.  :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

The video monitors are too expensive and we are trying to cut spending where we can since we are about to go down to one income.  Right now, I just can’t justify spending the money on it, so I am not considering it.  I am less concerned about the monitor during the night since we can hear the baby from our bed, but I wanted something for during the day if we are downstairs and the baby is napping upstairs (bedrooms on the 3rd floor, rest of apartment on the 2nd floor) and also for when we stay with family.  

I’ll look into the Sony Baby Call, thanks for the rec Wed...if anyone else has any non- video monitor recommendations, I appreciate the feedback.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

leila--with DS#1 we got the Angelcare movement and sound monitor. We actually never ended up using the movement sensor pad. DS was in the PnP for the first few weeks because his crib came late and the bottom of the PnP wasn't stiff enough for the sensor. I don't regret not using it. In some ways I think it might have ended up stressing me out even more.

We never had a video monitor, either, and honestly don't feel like we've missed out on anything. We learned by the time DS was a few months old which kinds of cries necessitated a check and which were just fussiness or settling down.

The audio monitor from Summer has been great and we still use it. It's fun now to hear DS singing and talking in his crib before we go in and get him up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

We also have the Sony Baby Call and it's been fine. The reception is great and the sound is great. It's incredibly durable too. I wear it on my belt while gardening and doing yard work.

However, I wish I'd bought a video monitor. The price was too high for me and I thought it wasn't a necessary expense, but once my daughter was old enough to remove her own diaper (silently) I realized that a monitor would have saved us a world of trouble and expense. And although she's very good about staying in bed once placed there, if she was inclined to escape there would be no way for me to tell.

We bought the summer infant video monitor for our babysitter after a horrible diaper crime was perpetrated against her: http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-Handheld-Monitor-Screen/dp/B0007OD8SU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314637043&sr=8-1 It's amazing and I wish we had one for our own home. It wouldn't hurt to put it on your registry or wish list or whatever -- you never know what people will be willing to buy as a group gift. Or you could buy this person's for $70: http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bab/2565399112.html

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I had a regular monitor, don't remember which brand since my "baby" will be 11 in a couple of weeks.  He was in our room for the first 10 weeks and once he moved into his crib he was in the room right next door.  The only time we used it was when he was napping in his crib and we were downstairs. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LCGCmomma. Show LCGCmomma's posts

If you are looking for a basic monitor, I would NOT recommend the Graco Direct Connect digital monitor. We have had a bunch of issues with it - parent units randomly "dropping out of range", or no sound from the parent unit despite everything being turned on (have to turn off and on the base unit to fix). The reviews were mixed, but overall kindof terrible (now that I've gone back to read them).  Our monitors were a shower gift, and not the ones that we had originally picked out - this one was supposed to be "better" with a longer range and two parent units, etc. But in this case, the Graco brand did not do very well.

I will also say that we don't have a huge house, and I couldn't imagine why anyone would want the video monitor - until I had my DS. As a bunch of people mentioned, there are some real advantages to being able to see your LO sometimes without having to go into the room. For us, he wakes up and wants to be picked up the second he sees you, even if he is really doing okay by himself. So trying to just "check on him" when he is being quiet, but not actually asleep, is aweful. I think we would have at least discussed the video unit had I realized how handy it might have been. Not a necessity, so if you are cutting down on costs, then go for something that is basic and does the job! You can do it without the video monitor - just would have been nice, even for a small space :-) IMO...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

I would second your plans.  We had no monitors of any kind with three kids, but we are in a not very large one story house.  I'd have gotten one (sound only) if we'd had a two story house, or laundry room in a basement, etc. where we could be too far away to hear them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

if you do go video get the summer infant lemon recommended.  it's actually fairly "basic" for video.  now they make plasma screen control panels for them - yikes.

i'm no baby-gear-fanatic (i have a 30 year old crib!) but even i would recco a video.  don't forget if you travel - stay with parents or something - or go on vaca - you might one day want a video.  i just spent a weekend camping in the woods an the video was pretty handy.  sorry - i know you already said you were not looking for video recco's - but make sure you're not being "penny-wise, pound-foolish."  you don't want to end up with TWO monitors someday!  :) 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

We have the Anglecare monitor with Movement Sensor  http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2343185

It was a hand-me-down from a friend and it works well.  My only complaint is that sometimes there is static/feedback if the parent unit is placed near anything plugged in.  It was difficult for us to find a spot for it in our bedroom where it didn't feedback.  I never used the movement sensor.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

I love my video monitor.  I know you said they are too expensive, but for an extra $30 bucks you can get a video, Im pretty sure they are made by sony or something?  Also you can get great deals off amazon, dipaers.com, ect that could drop the price to make it affordable.  Its nice not to have to jump up to every sound when you can visually see what the baby is doing.  I added a second camera for DD#2's crib and on one monitor I can switch back & forth between the beds, sweet deal and that only cost $40 for the camera. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

I get what you guys are saying about the video monitor, but I really don't want one, can't afford it, and did fine with the audio ones when I was a nanny.  June, not sure where you found yours so cheap, but I was looking at a big price difference between the audio and video (e.g. 36.00 for Sony Baby Call and $150+ for a decent video monitor...all the cheaper ones had bad reviews).  Anyhoo, I appreciate the input, but I'm definitely not going with a video monitor. 

I appreciate all the recommendations...I've looked up a bunch today and narrowed it down to 3 based on reviews.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krystabel. Show Krystabel's posts

We bought the summer infant video monitor for our babysitter after a horrible diaper crime was perpetrated against her

LOL - Lemon - I definitely want to hear more about this!  ..you have a way with words.

Leila - I registered and got a video monitor ...I was happily shocked that someone got it ... I put it on my registry at the encouragement of a friend - she said something similar as above that you never know what someone or a group of people will give you.  I didn't expect to get it and we actually registered for a regular sound one as well because I thought no one would give us the video one and we didn't have the money for it although I really wanted one.  We ended up getting both as shower gifts.

The person that gave us the video thought that it was totally necessary ... just something to consider - if you want one, but price is turning you off you might just want to pick on and have it on your registry ...or not if you are definitely not interested.  

As we haven't had the occasion to use either yet, so I can't say if it is good or not, but the sound one we got is this one (I think it is the Sony baby call that people here are recommending):

it was closest to the one recommended in the Baby Bargins book.  

Also if you want more recommendations, I've also found the reviews on BRU.com and amazon helpful when picking out stuff.

Good luck with what ever you decide - I know there are too many decisions to make about stuff to get and what to skip and everyone has a different opinion - I too want to minimize the unneceassary baby gear, it is hard to know what you will need/use and what is hype and it varies from family to family.  I was all for the video monitor because I know myself and I will need to see the baby to know he/she is ok and I figured that the video monitor will help me stay in bed and hopefully get just a little more sleep if I can look over and see that the baby is ok on the video monitor, it sounds like you know yourself just as well and know that you will trust the baby is fine and don't need to see him or her.  Follow your gut. :-)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Baby Monitor Recommendations:
    LOL - Lemon - I definitely want to hear more about this!  ..you have a way with words.
    Posted by Krystabel

Trust me, you do NOT want to know about this. It was unbelievably gross.

When I think about the things I bought or was given for the kid -- the jumparoo (used, but still expensive), baby gym, high chair, bouncy seat, changing pad and covers, etc. -- the ONLY one I am still using is the baby monitor. So while there is an initial cash output, the cost over time is not that great.

When you're looking at online reviews for audio monitors, keep your location in mind. We went with the Sony Babycall http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Baby-Call-Nursery-Monitor/dp/B000S35QLC because it had the best reviews from people in urban areas, and we live in the city. Other monitors had reports of the frequency getting interrupted (or however that works) by cell phones and such. The babycall has a few different frequency settings you can switch to if your signal goes flooey. Sorry for the high-level science lingo there. As I said before, we were VERY pleased with the Sony (until The Incident). When she was an infant we placed it two feet from her crib and we could actually hear her breathing on it -- it picks up baby sounds VERY well and somehow focuses on those sounds without delivering a lot of background noise with it. And it's lightweight, easy to hold, and can be worn on your belt or wasteband. It has as large a range as we have a yard, so I wasn't trapped in the house when the baby slept. I would recommend it highly.

Oh, also make sure the handheld end is water resistant! Someone told me that when I was pregant and I scoffed because I wasn't going to get the thing wet. But I have gotten it wet many, many times. Very wet.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Baby Monitor Recommendations:
    I get what you guys are saying about the video monitor, but I really don't want one, can't afford it, and did fine with the audio ones when I was a nanny.  June, not sure where you found yours so cheap, but I was looking at a big price difference between the audio and video (e.g. 36.00 for Sony Baby Call and $150+ for a decent video monitor...all the cheaper ones had bad reviews).  Anyhoo, I appreciate the input, but I'm definitely not going with a video monitor.  I appreciate all the recommendations...I've looked up a bunch today and narrowed it down to 3 based on reviews.
    Posted by Leila32

[gritted teeth]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Lemon - I was thinking that too!  I've already used and sold or given away so much stuff for our twins -Bouncy seats, jumperoos, pack & plays, giminis and even their cribs (and they are 25 months old). But we're still using the baby monitor.
    There is also the stuff that everyone buys that I refused to have - bumpers, quilts, mobiles, crib skirts etc.
    My suggestion to anyone looking to save a little money is to check out Kid to Kid in Natick - a consignment store.  I sold lots of my stuff there in almost perfect condition - thye don't take anything that's gotten ratty. They may even have a video monitor! :)
    Oh - and my Mother of Twins tag sale should be coming up in September in Needham.  LOTS of great stuff for sale. I'll post the date when I find it.
    Good luck!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

It may seem petty to some to be penny pinching regarding the monitor, but recent circumstances make it necessary.  The monitor is one of several places we can cut expenses.  My husband’s position is being eliminated, so he will no longer have a job in a month and my overtime has been taken away.  He was going to try to go to part-time for a while to finish grad school and eliminate most of the daycare expense but not until next year, so this is a significant blow to our finances (not to mention we just bought a new car).  If in a year or two we are back on our feet and I really think I can’t live without the flippin video monitor, we can get one then...I don’t think it will be the end of the world to have 2 monitors.  I’m sure Good Will can take the old one off my hands.  Sorry if this is coming off as super hormonal, but I’m really  stressed about it and I feel like I’m being beat over the head about the video monitor and made to feel silly because I don’t want to spend the money on it.

Also, unfortunately I am not having a shower (and I really don’t want to explain that one).  My group at work did get a group gift for me (a really sweet stroller that I really wanted) which was awesome.

Lemon – glad you mentioned to pay attention to reviews about where you live and interference.  We also live in the city and I did catch a few reviews that mentioned interference in the city.

Krystabel – I have mostly been checking reviews on Amazon, but I will check out BRU.com as well.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from crackersandcheese. Show crackersandcheese's posts

We have the Sony Baby Call and have been happy with it. We live in a small, two bedroom condo and I wasn't even going to get a monitor but in the end figured it couldn't hurt to have one. We rarely use it at home (I can hear the baby cry from anywhere in the house and don't need it amplified!) but it has been great for overnights at friend's homes, staying at the grandparents, a vacation where we rented a house, etc.

If you go with this one note that there are two settings, regular mode and voice activation mode. Voice activation mode can scare the crap out of you because it will be silent and all of a sudden a super loud wail will come through. I swear my mother almost had a heart attack one night so we use regular mode now!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Leila - How stressful.  All of that would be hard if you *weren't* pregnant, but must be especially hard right now.  I'm sorry for emphasizing the video monitor when you clearly said you aren't looking for one, but as a first time mom who has had many "if I had only known!" moments in the past 10 months, I can't resist trying to help another mom avoid at least one of those moments.  My guess is that was the motivation behind many posters pushing the video monitor.

Good luck with everything!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krystabel. Show Krystabel's posts

Hi Leila,  I don't think it is penny pinching... it is good you know what you want adn need to do.  I also think experienced moms were just trying to point out what could be useful.  I am not sure if you remember from another post about "dads groups", but I think you and I are in a very similar situation... My DH got laid off at the end of July and we are down to one income and will be for a while because we have also made the decision that DH will go back to school to finish his BS and be home with the baby during the day to save on daycare.  I completely can relate to the stress and concern about money!  I shouldn't have assumed you were having a shower.  

Good luck and have faith - things will work out for the best!

Sections
Shortcuts