Baby Monitor Recommendations

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Re: Baby Monitor Recommendations

I am going to throw this one out there, not for Leila, since she doesn't want a video monitor (which I completely understand), but for others who may be reading this thread who do want options on other baby monitors, including video. 

My husband is very tech-savvy, and is insisting we get this monitor:  http://wifibaby.net/
    It is quite expensive, but actually not that much more than some of the other video monitors.  He points out all sorts of things that are better about it, such as being able to log in from anywhere to see the baby, the infrared night vision, no interference with cell phones, the future use as a nanny cam (if we choose), and safety concerns I didn't even know existed: http://crowley.house.gov/list/press/ny07_crowley/BabyMonitorSafetyThreats.shtml

We plan to register for it, but I'm not sure how that will work since you can't buy it on Amazon on BRU.  I would be fine with a regular video monitor, but he feels really strongly about this one, and I have to admit, it does sound kind of cool (even though it will probably take me a month to figure out how to use it).  If anyone has experience with this, I would appreciate your opinion. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Leila, a baby monitor is not a necessity; "modern" people have gotten along fine without them for decades, and you can choose to not buy one of any sort if you don't have the money for it, and life will go on like it did for our parents, grandparents, great-grandparents...

There are a lot of modern conveniences that are helpful to having a baby and living in general.  But, if you can't afford them, life will go on without them just fine.  I'd like a whole bunch of things that other people have and feel they can't live without.  I didn't have a microwave for all of 2006.  I cooked and heated food some other way...it worked.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

If you're really trying to budget, it sounds like you're in a situation where you don't really NEED a monitor at all yet.  A baby's screams are pretty easy to hear from across the hall.  We were in a similar situation and we didn't really use our monitor until our daughter was older.  Once she hit 6 months we started to use it more and more.  Now that she's a toddler I feel like having a video monitor could be useful (for all the reasons people cited) but I haven't gotten one because I'd rather not spend the money.  In such a small place you might be able to manage doing without a monitor at first. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Don't go around reading lists of dangers you never dreamed existed.  There are six or seven billion people on the planet and I'm sure some really odd things have happened to somebody, somewhere, but it's not necessary to get too worked up about it.  Take reasonable safety precautions and live your life.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Sorry to hear you are going through tough times Leila!

I am very surprised to read recommendations for the Sony monitor.  We have it and HATE it.  Like I want to throw it out the window and drive over it with my car.  The only reason I haven't bought a new one is that we live in a very urban area and I couldn't find any others with several channels (though I only looked online a couple times).  Our Sony monitor beeps (out of range?) all the time.  When I'm in bed I am probably 30 feet away from the baby in her crib, so I don't see how that can be out of range.  When it's on voice activated, it doesn't pick up all of the noises the baby makes.  That could be considered a good thing since you don't want to be woken up by every little peep, but to me it is concerning that I can stand outside her door and hear her making noise that isn't coming through on the monitor.  When it's on the other setting, we hear white noise the entire time.

I hate to bring up video monitors again.  I understand why you don't want one.  I didn't register for one because I thought they were too expensive and not a necessity.  For other people who will read this thread, I have to say there have been many times I wished we had a video monitor.  We close the baby's door all the way because of our cat, so it would be awesome to know if she is really awake or just making noise before we open the door to check.  I still won't spend the money on one, but wish we had registered for it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Jenn,
    So I will admit I bought a wifi camera for my puppy earlier this year.  Talk about p**p related crimes.  When I bought it, I had it in my mind that I wanted something that could potentially be used for a baby as well.  (Since buying a wifi camera for a puppy seemed totally rediculous even in the prevention of p**p related crimes).  This is the one I got:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046710G6

A bit less expensive than the one you listed (I paid $90).  It does the night vision, etc.  The video quality is decent, though not perfect, and the colors are a bit off (due to the night vision aspect).  Though its night vision is pretty awesome.  Which I see as a bonus, cuz most babies will be sleeping in a pretty dark environment.  It is supposedly capable of being hooked up to an ipod, though I'll admit I haven't actually done this.  (I tried, but only invested 5 minutes in a free app then gave up)  I use it through either the LAN at home (viewed on a laptop) or though a website.  My husband and I are somewhat tech savy so I didn't think it was excessively hard to configure and set up, though I am sure that there are people who would disagree with me.  Now that I'm thinking about it, I should really invest some time and maybe $5 in the official app to see if I can get it working as a baby monitor.  I have an older iPod touch... hopefully the app will be compatible. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Leila -- I would have been totally annoyed with all of us if I were you, even without the money issues. You kept saying that you didn't want a video monitor and we kept telling you that you had to get one! But it is very hard to look back at all the junk you wasted money on and not want to warn those coming after you.

I would say that for a baby monitor, look for a used on on craiglist. With the exception of my own, it's an item that doesn't get a lot of wear and tear. And if mine is any indication, the Sony one is really rugged, because I have done horrible things to it and it's still kicking.

(aside -- don't buy an exersaucer, bouncy, or gates new either -- people are PSYCHED to get these plastic monstrosities out of their houses and will practically pay you to take them. We bought a pressure gate from a guy on craigslist and when we showed up to get it his wife started hauling other gates and stuff out of the garage and begging us to take them away. You can always find them for cheap at yard sales, thrift stores, and free shops.)

I have heard bad stuff about the voice activation mode, but I don't use it so that hasn't been an issue for me. I find the sound of her sleeping very soothing so I like it on all the time.

I do get a beeping sound if I go too far from the monitor, but I have to go pretty far -- across the street. And sometimes it makes a clicking sound and I have to shift it slightly to the left or right. It doesn't pick up white noise or transmit white noise. Fram, is your unit defective or is your signal getting interrupted by someone nearby? (remember the episode of Modern Family where they listened to another couple on the baby monitor? They also had the Sony babycall!)

And lissa is right -- I don't think I used the monitor for three months because I dragged the baby around in a moses basket when I wasn't sleeping with one eye trained on her in the bedroom. So you might not need one until the baby gets up to monkeyshines around 6 months or so.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Fram- I hate our babycall too!! It beeps all the time and we only live on one floor, even if we're in the living room we're about 500 ft. away from his door.  I am at the point where we might as well not use it at all because if we leave his door open we'll just hear DS just as well as we would with the monitor.  Maybe we got ones made at the same time! I don't even have the packaging any more. I think Santa needs to buy us a video monitor. (and by santa I mean grandma)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Leila - I'm so sorry that we're all driving you crazy.  I completely understand going down to one income - it's hard! And your other money woes must be very stressful.
    I agree totally with what Lemon said.  I'll just add (again) that you might also want to check out Kid to Kid in Natick on Route 9.
    I was in there this summer buying Lily Pulitizer dresses for my DD and they had all kinds of wonderful stuff for the 0-12 month crowd. FIVE Leap Frog musical tables all lined up and ready to go (my kids LOVE this). I personally sold them 4 bouncy seats in wonderful condition and a stroller that I never used. They had giminis and swings - the list goes on.
    And just go with "naked crib" - you don't need bumpers (which should be banned anyway) or quilts, bed skirts or mobiles - just some waterproof mattress pads and fitted sheets.
    Good luck!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Leila, I'm sorry you're not having a shower. But you might want to post on FB to your friends asking if anyone wants to unload baby stuff and offering to pay shipping. I never would have thought to do that, but one of my friends did recently, and MY friend read her post (as in, they are only friends through me) and was psyched to get rid of all the toys and clothes they'd been storing up. The sender friend is very wealthy and fancy so it should be a pretty sweet score. I would never think to sell my baby stuff when I'm done with it (it's too much trouble and craisglist people are annoying and scary) so when we're done reproducing I'll be very happy to give it away to the first person who asks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Leila-i get wanting to spend only on the necessary. And it does sound like you can hold off on the monitor. If you live in a small space you'll hear the baby.

But I would still recommend registering for one. We've purchased two (always digital secure signals so one one can see inside your house if they happen to have the same unit), and we've only spent around $100 on each of them. Our current one which is going on over 2 years of use, is Safety First True View-and I've found them on sale through Amazon.

I know you said you're not having a shower, but people will still want to get you something. I'm having my second child in a few weeks and work is hosting a shower for me, everyone is yelling at me for not having a registry for this baby-but seriously we have everything! So, here I am about to create a registry to make people happy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

Hi Leila - I saw a deal on the Sony Babycall monitor pop up on BabyCheapskate's FB page this morning.  Not sure if it's a great price since I haven't been tracking it but thought I would point it out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017T2RYU/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=babycheap-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399369&creativeASIN=B0017T2RYU

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

That's for the two receivers. We never needed two. You can get the single receiver for $36.07

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Ikea's new (to the area) monitors have pretty good reviews on Apt Therapy http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40208442

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kac320. Show kac320's posts

We have the Fisher Price Lights and Sounds and it works great. Pretty cheap-maybe $30-$40 and we can use it out in the yard when kids are sleeping and have no problem with it all.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jewelsagem. Show jewelsagem's posts

For those of you who have video monitors, do you find that the lights on the camera are bright in the room at night?  I just bought one last night so that we can evaluate the cause of DD throwing up after being put down at night (ie. is she sticking her hand down her throat), but I'm just not sure at 11 months how she'll do having what appears to be multiple bright LED lights shining on her?  Thoughts??

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Jewelsagem-We found that DS wasn't bothered by the lights. As an infant he wouldn't cry, but stare right at the lights at night. Kinda freaky to see those beady green eyes looking at you in a monitor from a newborn. As he got older he knew we'd come get him if he walked/crawled towards the camera and started talking/fussing.

So he definintely saw them but they never seemed to bother him-he only paid attention to them if he wanted us.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

Jewelsagem, bright light?  I have the summer infant video monitor and no lights are shining down in their crib.  There is a little green light that just shows its working, but niether of my kids ever seemed phased by it.  When I need to go in to just check on them before I go to sleep, their room is pitch black. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

For me, the Sony BabyCall voice activation mode has been fantastic.
    If I leave it in the "on" mode, every time she makes a tiny whimper I get all tense that she's going to wake up and I don't sleep well.  The voice activation mode filters out that stuff, but I can switch over if I just want to listen in.
    It's possible you don't need a monitor at all, but consider, too, things like doors open/shut and window AC units.  We can hear our LO just fine with our door open, even if hers is shut, with no monitor.  But in the summer if we have our bedroom window AC on (and thus bedroom door shut), we would never hear her.
    Another bonus of the voice activation on the Sony is that it recalibrates for background noise so it filters out the annoying drone of the fan or window AC in the baby's room.
    Best of luck to you!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

June and others who responded re: the Summer Infant Video Monitor- which one do you have?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-Handheld-Monitor-Screen/dp/B0007OD8SU/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1314996803&sr=1-1

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc95. Show tc95's posts

Hi, I was looking at some reviews of the Summer Infant Video Monitor on Amazon and a few people wrote that they could see their neighbors' children on the monitor instead of/in addition to their own (i.e. when they changed channels).  This freaked me out- anyone here ever have that issue?  picking up bits of conversations from cordless phones or audio monitors is one thing but the idea of anyone else seeing my infant sleeping is very disturbing.  Although I guess if we got this and didn't see any other baby then maybe no one else could see ours? (not sure about that part...)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

i never picked up on another child, but know someone who has.  Does the slim & secure monitor have the same review?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

I just un-registered for the slim and secure because the reviews on it (on amazon) was sooo bad!  I can't recall if I selected another one or if I just stopped my search at that time.  Though I probably won't need the monitor right away and especially not in our place, I know I will need it at my parents' house where we'll be spending a significant amount of time.  I would like to have something with a handheld video monitor.

June- it sounds like the one you have has this issue with more than 1 person, which is kind of creepy.  I can't tell if some posters just had a faulty set or if faulty sets are kind of the company's thing. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladeeda2. Show ladeeda2's posts

we like our sony babycall monitor... it works well and was very affordable...

Sections
Shortcuts