Baby Names

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pwt. Show pwt's posts

Re: Baby Names

I am a Margaret, but have always been Maggie and do like my name. I love my name now as an adult. However, I will say Maggie rhymes with a whole lot of things that made for a rough adolescence  - especially when you're in to horses and have a gay (boy) best friend. :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

In Response to Re: Baby Names:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Baby Names : Yes!!  I almost named my DD "Cordelia" and haven't entirely ruled it out if we have another girl this time!  I cannot wait to take DD to PEI someday.  Have you been?  It's pure magic.  I highly recommend.  :) Ok, back to catching up...
    Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]

One of my good friends has a Cordelia, but they call her Delia or D. I never read those books so it's fun having another reference for the name. I love seeing the names of the babies in the daycare. Some have come up on here that I haven't heard lately - Evelyn and Luisa. There is also a Seraphina which was Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner's daughter's name.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Baby Names : I love Mathilde/Matilda, but DH isn't so sure... Is it too big of a name for a little baby?  This time around I'm also thinking of Fiona if it's a girl.
    Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]
    I love Mathilde -- I think it's such a lovely, sophisticated name. I also love Matty as a nickname, or even Tilly. I also love Fiona. I've been a big fan of that and Sadie since I read The Wizard Children of Finn when I was little.

Visiting Green Gables is amazing, although it's a little sad to see how built-up Cavendish has gotten as a result of the popularity of the book! But PEI is great. My family is from there. I look forward to taking my husband and daughter back to the homeland in the next few years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I too love the nickname "Tilly".  We are also considering Sadie!  I'll have to read the book you reference - never even heard of it!

How wonderful that your family is from PEI!  I went with a boyfriend a few years ago, and loved Charlottetown, loved visiting Green Gables (but I agree), and loved our one night stay on the northern shores with the red sands.  Gorgeous, peaceful, vibrant.  I think I could live there.  Can't wait to go back, and might need to pick your brain about other areas to visit.  I loved the artistry we came across - all of these amazing shops on the side of the road that sold really interesting sculptures, jewelry, etc... so creative.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Margaret is my great grandmother's name.  I do love it...and I think my grandfather (who is still alive) would love it too.  Just struggling on the nickname...I have a Maddie, so wouldn't want to do Maggie.  Meg, or I like Maisy, too, but not sure DH would go for that. 

Love Delia!!!  So pretty.  Might have to add that to the list...I don't think it sounds too weird with the last name. 

My grandmother and I talk 1-2 times a week, and she's started on the name hunt.  This week's name was Eden.  And the "do not consider this one, please" was Pepper, which is her friend's granddaughter.  Given that's the name of one of my MIL's dogs, I think she's safe on that one! 

Other ones I love, but can't use b/c of close relatives/friends with the name already: Caroline, Camille, Vivian, Aine (or Anja).  But throwing them out there for all of you! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Luv - We may have similar taste!  Love Camille, Vivian, and Anja.

My family is from PEI too!  We've gone 3 times, most recently in 2007.  Prior to that I had been around 11 and 16, so my memory isn't the greatest, but I thought it seemed not quite as hmmm rustic? authentic?  Maybe building the bridge was a bad idea... Anyway, my bro and I still can't wait to go back with the kids someday!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]Luv - We may have similar taste!  Love Camille, Vivian, and Anja. My family is from PEI too!  We've gone 3 times, most recently in 2007.  Prior to that I had been around 11 and 16, so my memory isn't the greatest, but I thought it seemed not quite as hmmm rustic? authentic?  Maybe building the bridge was a bad idea... Anyway, my bro and I still can't wait to go back with the kids someday!
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]
    I was there in 2004, so I don't know how things have changed since then, but it was pretty rustic. We spent most of our time around St Peter's Bay, Souris, and Cable Head. Cavendish had definitely changed a lot from when I was little, though. That was pretty disturbing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

luvrboy,
    name her Genevieve!  I think that's such a lovely, elegant name!  And, if you must, you could call her Genny for a nickname. Or Vivie, or Viv.

However, I am one of the few people in the world (my mother being the only other I've ever met) who doesn't like nicknames.  I have a name that could be shortened to Cassie, Casey, Sandy or Sandra and I have never liked that - in fact, my mother said I would always correct people, even as a young child, when they tried to shorten it.  So if I named a daughter Genevieve, I'd call her the whole name, from birth.  Yes, I think you CAN do this, you don't have to have a short name for a baby!

We have a Matilda Ann at our center and that's her whole name - and her parents use the whole thing.  Every once in a while they call her Tilly Ann, but most of the time it's the whole thing. 

Now, remember that Cassandra, in mythology, was a Princess, daughter of Helen of Troy.  It was Cassandra who said "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts" when talking about the Trojan horse - the Trojans didn't believe her, let the horse in and the Greeks jumped out of said horse and killed the Trojans.  The reason nobody believed her was that Apollo, the god of love, had fallen in love with Cassandra, so gave her a gift of being able to foresee the future.  When she spurned him, he couldn't take back the gift he'd bestowed (that's a loophole, evidently) but he could ADD to it, so he gave her the curse that nobody would believe her when she saw the future.  So I don't think of it as a cursed name, I think of it as a royal name.  It's just that OTHERS just don't believe her - and since she's always right, that's THEIR problem!

I love the fact that my name is pretty uncommon!

Wink

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]Luv - We may have similar taste!  Love Camille, Vivian, and Anja. My family is from PEI too!  We've gone 3 times, most recently in 2007.  Prior to that I had been around 11 and 16, so my memory isn't the greatest, but I thought it seemed not quite as hmmm rustic? authentic?  Maybe building the bridge was a bad idea... Anyway, my bro and I still can't wait to go back with the kids someday!
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]
    What part of PEI are you from? We're probably related.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

[QUOTE]  Now, remember that Cassandra, in mythology, was a Princess, daughter of Helen of Troy.  It was Cassandra who said "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts" when talking about the Trojan horse - the Trojans didn't believe her, let the horse in and the Greeks jumped out of said horse and killed the Trojans.  The reason nobody believed her was that Apollo, the god of love, had fallen in love with Cassandra, so gave her a gift of being able to foresee the future.  When she spurned him, he couldn't take back the gift he'd bestowed (that's a loophole, evidently) but he could ADD to it, so he gave her the curse that nobody would believe her when she saw the future.  So I don't think of it as a cursed name, I think of it as a royal name.  It's just that OTHERS just don't believe her - and since she's always right, that's THEIR problem! I love the fact that my name is pretty uncommon!
    Posted by CT-DC[/QUOTE]

CT--you've got parts of the story right, but the Latin teacher in me needs to correct your mythology. :) Cassandra was the daughter of the Trojan king Priam and his wife Hecuba. So, she was the sister of Paris--the lover of Helen of Troy (who was actually the wife of the Greek leader Menelaus.) The line "I fear Greeks, even those bearing gifts" is from Vergil's Aeneid and is spoken by Laocoon. Just after he uttered that line, a huge serpent came out of the sea and killed Laocoon and his sons. That scared the Trojans so much that they brought the horse into the walls of the city right after that.

Sorry for the digression. As a Latin teacher, I love classical names. My dream names, if it were just my decision, would have been Clio and August. Clio was the muse of history and August for Augustus, the first Roman emperor. It was a total no-go on both names with DH.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I just think it's such a mean curse: she KNEW all her family and friends, the entire city--would be murdered and she couldn't stop it because no one believed her. 

The name Cassandra is really pretty. And let's face it, no one besides Latin and English teachers is going to think of the allusion when they meet someone named Cassie haha.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

As for the first and last names matching--probably some are made up but there is (or at least was) a David McDavid car dealership in Austin.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

I was thinking about this thread as my 5 yo wrote her Valentine's cards for school. She has a classmate with the first name Brad. Last name? Lee. Makes me smile every time I think of it!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Just saw this now Lemon.  I will have to ask which town my fam is from!  Some family names are Newcombe and hmmmm Williams, I think.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kiwiguy. Show Kiwiguy's posts

[QUOTE]However, I am one of the few people in the world (my mother being the only other I've ever met) who doesn't like nicknames. 
    Posted by CT-DC[/QUOTE]

Add me to your list CT-DC.
    I don't mind short names, or nicknames, but if you are naming your child something just so you can call them the abbreviated version, why not just name them the abbreviated version.
    Why name your child Robert if you want to call him Bob?
    Why name your child James if you want to call him Jimmy?
    Just name him Bob or Jimmy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Kiwi, interesting post there. We love the name Charlie, but Charles does not go with our last name, so why not just name him Charlie?!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I really like the name Oscar/Oskar.  Do I have any hope whatsoever of escaping the whole "Oscar the Grouch" thing?  Should I just give it up?

Sections
Shortcuts