Baby Names

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Re: Baby Names

In Response to Re: Baby Names:
    [QUOTE]How do you pronounce Cyan?  Like Cayenne, the pepper/color red?
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Close, but it's the soft C (the S sound) and a long A. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

sigh-ane?

Too bad it doesn't go with your last name if you like it.  My DH seems to love all the names that sound as terrible as possible with our last name.  I put it with it, and he doesn't think it sounds bad.   Something like Janice Jan.  Janice isn't bad, but Janice Jan?  Or, Sam Samuels...John Johnson.  Horrible, no?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Sigh-ane is right. I couldn't figure out how to write it phoneticalls.

I work with a guy who has a name like Sam Samuels. I don't get it. Our last name has a few overbearing letters and ends in a vowel. It takes a lot of first names off the table.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I feel sorry for all the Siobhans who didn't go to college in Boston.  People outside of Irsh Catholic concentration areas have no clue how to pronounce it! 

No matter what you name your child, they are going to have to correct someone at some point re their name.  Even Anne has to specify it's w/ an E, and John that it's w/ an H.  My name is not unusual and I fully expect people to ask whether it's one L or two, but I cannot believe the absurd non-typical spellings that come in the mail. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I have a very common name with what my parents thought was one way to spell it (a reason they chose it in the first place), and, like ALF says, people mangle it as if I'm on Candid Camera.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

lemon and others who love the guessing... didn't get a chance to get this up yesterday.

My brother has two children, and I have one (who is younger than his cousins). all boys actually have the same name (with different forms relating to different cultures/ethnicities).

My brother's eldest has the german/dutch form. his youngest has the russian form. my kid has the hebrew form.  now for the fun part- all have 4 letters, and when you go from oldest to youngest, the first letters are all alphabetically sequential.

kinda makes naming our next kid hard. although there is a form of the name that starts with the next letter. can't say I want to use it....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

In 1972, my name wasn't common.  I never used to get stuff with my name on it.  It has become popular in the last 10 years or so I'd say. When I went to HS, my class had 520 people and there were three of us with the name.  One was spelled a little differently than mine. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

I do not have a popular name although I did graduate from both high school and college with girls who share my name except spelt with one less letter.  I would also say that my name is often horrible mispronouced and the spelling is always butchered.  If I lived anywhere other than New England it would be a million time worse.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Winter... I'm working on your clues :-)  Love riddles!  I used to tell people I was an only child who was also a twin and have them wonder :-) In the day of the modern family, its no longer hard!

What is the thought process for people who name their kids Phill Phillips, Dave David (have you heard that doctor's commercial??) or Peter Peterson???  Are they for real?  Sam Samuels... as Chiclet mentions above.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

AS you can guess, my name is Amy - and in 6th grade, there were ~50 kids, 2 classes, about half girls... with 4 Amys. 2 were Amy Lynn (although the other one spelled with an E). Both of us had last names that started with L. Fortunately we had different main teachers, so we only had mix-ups when we were all lumped together (gym, music, art, etc.) I know my parents picked because of Little Women, but there was also a popular movie with the main character being named Amy, which led to it being #2 for my birth year. I think #1 was Jennifer, but for some reason, where I lived Jennifer was not as popular as Amy. When I went to college, however, Jennifers certainly outnumbered Amys.
    So while I was able to find items with my name, etc. I tried to pick a name for DD that wasn't in the top 10. I hope I've succeded. One of the other names we were considering has become way more popular, so I am glad we went with the one we picked.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

DZ...I'm guessing you're a Deirdre? 

On the naming front, I'm thinking about DC#2...we've got our boy name set, from last time.  After my dad and DH grandfather.  Girls names are so much harder!  Some of my favorites (many of which have already been rejected by my husband): Elizabeth, Audrey, Margaret, Natalie, Charlotte, Genevieve, Anne, Katherine, Abigail, Maeve. 

Any other suggestions along those lines?  We can't use anything that ends in -a- since our last name does, and it sounds really weird.  Very limiting when you're talking about girls' names! 

Someone mentioned never having anything with your name on it.  I remember that too!  My nickname is common, but the spelling isn't, so people who didn't know would give me barrettes and pencils with the wrong name on it, which was worse than having nothing!  I do remember my mom ordering me special barrettes, though.  :) 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Winter... I think I got it.  H... I... J?  Is that correct? 

While my name was #1 between 1985-1990... it must not have been very popular in the early 1970s.  I didn't have one other person in my entire elementary school with my name the entire 6 years.  And in my graduating high school class of 324... not one either.  I remember thinking it must have been a weird name.  However... when I was a teenager.. every 4-7 year old girl I met had my name.  So I feel just like the author to the waitress in the article I posted... I am the older version of my name whereas most are still gloriously in their 20s.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Winter-I can't find the russina form...but: Hahn/Jahn/Yann?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Luv, I love Margaret, and would call her Maggie, but DH said no so fast my head spin!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]DZ...I'm guessing you're a Deirdre?  On the naming front, I'm thinking about DC#2...we've got our boy name set, from last time.  After my dad and DH grandfather.  Girls names are so much harder!  Some of my favorites (many of which have already been rejected by my husband): Elizabeth, Audrey, Margaret, Natalie, Charlotte, Genevieve, Anne, Katherine, Abigail, Maeve.  Any other suggestions along those lines?  We can't use anything that ends in -a- since our last name does, and it sounds really weird.  Very limiting when you're talking about girls' names!  Someone mentioned never having anything with your name on it.  I remember that too!  My nickname is common, but the spelling isn't, so people who didn't know would give me barrettes and pencils with the wrong name on it, which was worse than having nothing!  I do remember my mom ordering me special barrettes, though.  :) 
    Posted by luvRIboy[/QUOTE]

Yes! Let me name your baby. How about Arianne, Matilde, Evelyn, Estelle, or Martine?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

Kam- very close!! the russian form is ivan. so H, I, and J (although we have a nickname for our kid)

i'm also a 70s girl, and had the most common first and middle names. my father had pushed for diana but lost.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

[QUOTE]Luv, I love Margaret, and would call her Maggie, but DH said no so fast my head spin!
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]

I volunteer with my niece's Daisy Girl Scout troop. We have a Margaret. Every time I say something about her, someone always says, "And how old is Margaret?" She's 5. People are so close-minded! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Luv - I wanted to name our daughter Margaret and use the nickname Maisy.  I love love love Maisy.  (Yes, I know there is now a mouse character named Maisy.)  It is my special favorite name, that I am now resigned to not using because it's unbelievably terrible with our last name.

Catherine is also great (pun intended) and how about my other favorite: Phoebe.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

winter-Katherine is an awesome name ;) I really love formal names for girls with nick names.  Katherine gives you many options besides Kate.

Problem is there are just so many great names out there. Maisy is adorable.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Luv - You correct all around.  The spelling with only one r is so much more common and I can't tell you how often it is misspelled.  Like with an a on the end.  ;-)

When my oldest sibling was born my father's mother was only 45 and in denial about becoming a grandmother.  So we called her Eunice.  When my brother had his first child, we thought is would be cool to call her Eunice the Great.  She was not amused.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[QUOTE]I do not have a popular name although I did graduate from both high school and college with girls who share my name except spelt with one less letter.  I would also say that my name is often horrible mispronouced and the spelling is always butchered.  If I lived anywhere other than New England it would be a million time worse.
    Posted by dz76[/QUOTE]

For a second I thought we might have the same name, until you got to the New England part.  Really people spell your name with one R??  That's weird!  My name is not common, but most people have heard it before... And yet they mispronounce it ALL the time.
    ETA: I get it - I think some people pronounce it like Dee-druh?

Liz - I love the name Maggie too.  I've been internally debating if you can just name a girl Maggie instead of having it be short for something.

KAM - My guess had been Lucius for your husband.

Winter - Nice riddle!  If we have a boy, Hans is most likely going to be the middle name.  It was my favorite uncle's nickname and my kiss-up sister has already used his real name lol.  I think it's cute though - has a good story to it!  My uncle lived in Germany for like 10 years and according to his stepson he just started calling himself Hans one day :o)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

[QUOTE]This makes me think about Anne of Green Gable s (oh, how I LOVED those books!  Along with the Little House . . . series, I can't wait until DD is old enough for me to read them with her!)  Remember how she was SOOOOOO mad that her name was Anne because it was boring and how she made such a big deal about being "Anne with an E" and always lamented that her name was not something more "elegant" like Cordelia?  We all have our hangups about our names! haha.  Our kids will certainly have them too.  These names we picked so carefully will be resented when the kid is 12, along with everything else we've done for them Any Apples or Blue Ivys out there?
    Posted by lissafro[/QUOTE]

Yes!!  I almost named my DD "Cordelia" and haven't entirely ruled it out if we have another girl this time!  I cannot wait to take DD to PEI someday.  Have you been?  It's pure magic.  I highly recommend.  :)

Ok, back to catching up...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Baby Names : Yes! Let me name your baby. How about Arianne, Matilde, Evelyn, Estelle, or Martine?
    Posted by lemonmelon[/QUOTE]

I love Mathilde/Matilda, but DH isn't so sure... Is it too big of a name for a little baby?  This time around I'm also thinking of Fiona if it's a girl.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Fiona nice as long as you don't mind the Shrek assumptions.

My SIL was watching Anne of Green Gables last week and my 5 year old niece asked what she was watching and what was going on.  When my SIL told her Anne was getting ready to go to college, Lizzy sat down interested in watching the movie and replied "I've been wondering what college is  all about."

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Baby Names : Yes!!  I almost named my DD "Cordelia" and haven't entirely ruled it out if we have another girl this time!  I cannot wait to take DD to PEI someday.  Have you been?  It's pure magic.  I highly recommend.  :) Ok, back to catching up...
    Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]
    I haven't been.  My sisters and cousin went before my cousin's wedding last summer (seriously.  They went to PEI for a bridesmaids bash instead of Vegas haha).  I missed out because of the whole having a kid/life thing.  One day we'll go as a family when the kids are older. 

Sections
Shortcuts