Baby Names

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Re: Baby Names

In Response to Re: Baby Names:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Baby Names : Trouble--our DS#2 is William, too. :) My only worry with it was that people would think we were doing it in response to all the William and Kate hoopla last year. Do you use a nickname? We don't. We thought for a long time about using Liam, but then decided that we should name him that if that's what we wanted to call him. Turns out that we prefered William to Liam.
    Posted by kiwigal[/QUOTE]

Kiwi - Yes, we were also worried that people would think we're royal freaks with an Elizabeth and a William!  But in the end, we just loved the names so we went with it.

We call William Wooly (Bear) or Willy.  I'm not sure about the longevity of Willy, but it's cute for now :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I wanted to name DS after my father, but my husband hates the name...although he does really like my dad. So we chose another name and used my father's middle name (which is an old family name) as DS's middle name.
    DD has a name that was process of elimination - we each made a list and crossed off the names on each other's list that we didn't like. Her middle name is my maiden name.
    We had one rule - if one of us didn't like a name, it was taken off the list without question. Not fair making someone name their child after something they don't like.
    It was really, really hard coming up with two names that we both liked. I'm still a little sad sometimes that I didn't get to name my DD Charlotte or Grace, but DH hated them both. Besides, they have become so popular it's probably a good thing we chose something else.
    Good luck with the naming!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

When we picked our names, we told everyone that we had names but then wouldn't tell them what they were.  My dad spent my whole last trimester trying to get DD1's name out of me.  I finally said that one of the names was a family name.  When Alexis Marie was born more than one immediate family member said "There's no Alexis in the family".  Of course, I had been playing with people.  Alexis's middle name comes from her Grammy's middle name (my MIL) and my grandmother's middle name.

Everyone knew that DD2 was going to be Kathryn but they had no idea on Nathaniel.

Keep in mind that the name you choose is in all likelihood not going to be what they go by when they get older.  From the start we've been asked about nicknames for the twins.  DH HATES nicknames which is interesting since he has one and uses on for me that I HATE and he knows it but it was how we were introduced.  I generally call Alexis Lex or Lexi now although it was 2 years before I did and DH still only calls her Alexis.  I've taken to calling Kathryn Kat which he also doesn't love and Nathaniel is Thaniel (Alexis couldn't say Nathaniel when he was born) or even shortening it to Than which drives DH batty but I keep telling him I can call my children what ever I want. 

I do put my foot down at Nate and Kate though for the twins.  I dislike Nate and Kate is my MIL plus I don't love it.  It also is far to cutesie for me.  Our niece Elizabeth is Lizzy but often within the family we call her Lou or Lou Lou cuz that was her brother's name for her when he was young.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

DH and I waited until we knew the gender to have any serious name discussion. We were lucky, because, like many of you, we had a solid list of boy's names we agreed on but couldn't agree on a girl's name (mostly I didn't seem to like any -- DH's suggestions or my own!). Luckily we're having a boy so our decision was fairly easy, but I want 2 kids and I'm hoping for a girl next time, so we'll see if we ever have to revisit that :-).

We did run into trouble when we found out that not only did one friend name their son our top name, but ANOTHER friend, due a month after me, said it was their boy name as well. Almost made me wish we'd been public about our choice. Fortunately friend #1 lives far away and friend #2 is having a girl.

Does anyone else find that "Do you have a name picked out?" is the most common question they get asked? I've been surprised that EVERYONE asks it, and kind of annoyed b/c it's really a conversation stopper since we're not telling. At first, we lied and said we hadn't decided (figuring that would deter pushy questions), but it just led people to hem and haw over whether we'd decide in time, etc. Now I just say "Yes, and we're not telling" and that seems more effective. I've only gotten pushback from one friend about revealing it, and we're close enough that I can tell her to shut the h**l up :-).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

We settled so easily on our boy or girl names...both family names we really loved. Austin (my maternal grandmother's maiden name) or Renee (variation on spelling of DH grandfather's first name, Rene). So we found out a boy, and we were already calling him Austin. About 6 weeks or so before birth, I was reading a parenting magazine and there was a little story about a Nathan. I read it and moved along. But for days, I couldn't get that name out of my head. Just stuck with me. I mentioned it to DH and he thought Nate was pretty cool, where Austin didn't really have a cool nickname. So, Nathan he became. Oddly enough, I have yet to utter his nickname...even though I do love it. Probably when he's a bit older. Good luck. Just make sure you can imagine yourself saying this name every day, 30-40 times a day for the rest of your life.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

We had 1 name agreed upon for our first baby.  It was a girl name, and luckily we had a girl.  This time around, we are all over the map.  I'm continually frustrated because my absolute favorite names (especially boy names) are names our friends or family named their children.  there are at least 3 names I would absolutely choose in a heartbeat, but feel like I can't!  Has anyone used a name that a friend or family member also used (or has)?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I find it best not to tell anyone what you have chosen because people always have an opinion - and it's usually negative.
    We chose very normal names - think Catherine or William and still didn't tell anyone.
    "Have you chosen names?"
    "yup"
    "what are they?"
    "not telling." Smile

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

DH and I are going to wait until we find out the gender on the 15th!  We have had a couple of conservations about names.  If its a boy he really wants to name the baby after him and then give the baby a nick name.  The baby would be a 3rd since DH is a junior.  DH also goes by an nick name. This seems to be a trend in his family, everyone has the same name!  I am not a fan of his giving name and because I expressed dislike to his name, he suggested that if the baby is a girl I can name it and if its a boy then he names it!  No way to that!  LOL. 

I keep thinking about girl names that I like but cant come up with any boys names!  Girl names seem to come easier to me.

Also MIL sent us a family tree with all the names of her family and grand and great great grand parents names.  As I said before most of these names are taken already and most of them I do not like!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Pugs, I like the girl version of your DH's name :)

People keeping naming off all of these names, I am starting to get ideas ;)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Pugs, my friend gave birth to a Michael III last year, but from day one they've called him Trip. Awesome name, perfect for him!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

One thing I've always heard regarding names is to make sure the name will transfer well from the playroom to the board room.  I also heard something similar recently about trying to imagine your child's name as he/she is being sworn in as a Supreme Court justice.  AND studies have been done about how employers consciously or subconsciously can make decisions to interview people based on their names.  So...no pressure or anything, but a kid's name can have long-lasting implications throughout their life.  You better pick a good one. ;)

I had two girl names picked out from the time I was in college.  Unfortunately, both of the first names and one of the middle names ended up in the top 10 for years.  Then, one of DH's cousins named her daughter one of the first names and one of my friends named her daughter the middle name that was supposed to go with that first name.  That was fine b/c we still had the other one.  The first name was one of my grandmother's sister's name.  The middle name is my favorite aunt's name.  I didn't choose the name because of that, but I had enough positive associations with the names and they were uncommon enough at the time that it was appealing to me.  DH had no objections, but was leery of the first name having been in the top 10 for so long.  We went through all kinds of other names, but there weren't any we LOVED, so we stuck with a name I selected years before I even knew DH:  Hannah Rose.

DS was much harder.  We knew his middle name would be Daniel.  It's a tradition on both sides of our family for the first son to have his father's first name as a middle name.  We could only agree on Alexander as a first name and we both really liked it.  We were also fans of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and there's a character in the show named Xander and we both really liked that.  We did toy with just naming him Xander rather than Alexander, and we even briefly considered Xavier, but our last initial is L, so I was worried about him having the initials XL and that backfiring horribly somehow.  We toyed with naming him Zander or Zavier, but by then, DH was totally into giving him an X name and I couldn't sell him on Z.  So we went with Alexander, planning to call him Xander, but also giving him lots of flexibility with nicknames as he got older if Xander was too "out there" for him.  As an added bonus for DH, Alexander wasn't in the top ten.  Coincidentally, we found out after the fact that MIL's grandfather's name was a Spanish or Portuguese variation of Alexander.  So, although that wasn't our intent, it's nice that both of our kids have names that acknowledge their ancestors.

Funnily enough, when the social security list came out the next year, Hannah had plummeted out of the top ten and Alexander soared into it.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

For the pushy people we told them our top name choice was William Robert, once they said oh that is nice or whatever we would say, yup and we are calling him "Billy Bob" Then they would stop and stare...and we would confess that no we are not doing that but we are also not sharing...
    Funny part is William is ds's first name just not that nickname nor that middle name.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

ml, I love your story! I love your LO's names, too. clc, we're doing the same - not telling anybody. It's driving a few grandparents-to-be nuts, but I don't care. My BFF swiped my original #1-favorite name, which was also DH's grandfather's name - after that, my lips have been sealed. Arcain, YES, that is definitely the most common question after "do you know what you're having?" DH and I have 3 names picked out, so I just say "we've narrowed it down, but we're not deciding 'til we meet him, and we're keeping it to ourselves until then."

It's funny, I'd had a running list of names since college, and before we found out the gender, I told DH my favorites. He wasn't crazy about any of them, and I tried not to push. We let it drop for a few months, and then after we found out we were having a boy, DH started thinking about it. He came to ME with "his" list, which basically consisted of my favorite boy names! I swallowed the "those are MY names!" impulse reaction and just agreed that they're great ;) So now we're pretty certain we'll choose one of them, after we've met the little guy and can see what feels right.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Daisy - I would LOVE "Zander" (or Xander) but DH is not crazy about it.  I'll have to work on getting him into Buffy (I do have the complete box set, after all...)

My 4 first cousins are Elizabeth, Alexander, Abigail, and William.  All names I would choose in a heartbeat except they're already "taken"!! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

We had tossed around Finn for awhile as a boys name but with the popularity of Glee I'm worried it will become popular very quickly.

Excellent point about initials, Daisy, in middle school LL Bean backpacks with your initials were all of the rage.  One of my best guys friends initials are STD, poor kid, he made his mother rip out the stitching after one day. 

As for us, our last initial is S and our girls name starts with P, I would love to use my sister's middle name "Mae" as a middle name but it won't work with the name we have picked out now, PMS, that's just cruel! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

poppy- our nick name is the actual first name of a child of a friend in our circle. we did hem and haw for a while... however, ds felt strongly about the 4th thing, and i felt strongly about not having two people with the same name living in our house.

another problem is having so many friends with similar religious backgrounds- DH went to a catholic college, so we have many friends with kids named after saints/apostles/etc.... which were the names that appealed to us. makes it hard!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

My son's initials are MAD...he's 11 and thinks it's cool.  :) 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I love baby name threads!  So many cute stories.  I was actually planning to start one this week, but I have been so busy.  Even though we don't know if we'll have a second child and we obviously don't know if it will be a girl, I am obsessed with thinking of a name for DD's "baby sister" :o)

Before we knew the gender, we talked about names here and there, but not too seriously.  Once we knew the gender, I showed DH my list of ~25 girl names and he checked off 5 that he liked.  My favorites were Camille, Lyla, Annika, and April.  His favorite that he came up with was Morgan.  We decided on the name a few months before she was born, but agreed that we would give it some thought once we actually saw her.  Her middle name is after DH's grandmother (our only living grandparent).  We kept her name a secret... except we each broke down and told a friend or two!

It's a good thing we had a girl, because we could not agree on any boy names.  My favorites were Eli and Ian and his was Dustin.  I thought Eli was my super secret boy name that no one would ever choose... And have since heard of 3 baby Elis!  You just never know!  If the next one is a boy, the middle name will be my favorite uncle's nickname or maybe my maiden name.

A friend is expecting now and doesn't know the gender.  She has 2 girl names in mind and one was my #2.  I don't mind at all because I certainly don't own the name... The thing that annoys me is that she keeps saying how original it is... Yeah it was original over a year ago when I told you it was my #2!!  I didn't choose it because I think it is going to become more popular, like some similar names are.  Maybe I was right!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

As for multiples of the same first name in a family, my maternal grandfather's brother--my great uncle--was Joe.  One of my mother's brothers--my uncle--is Joe.  Another of my mother's brothers has a son named Joe--my cousin.  And then my cousin Joe named one of his sons...wait for it...Joe.  I have almost 50 first cousins on my mother's side (she is the youngest of 11).  My oldest cousin is a year younger than my mother, so I have first cousins who have grandkids already and the youngest of my first cousins is in middle school.  It's a HUGE family and getting huger by the day.  We had a family reunion last summer and "only" 120 people came.  Joe is the most-notable name as far as repetition goes in my family, but there are a couple of Chrises, a couple Alyssas, I think there are three Lionels, a couple of Davids, a couple of Daniels, a couple of Annas....  In such a big family, it's inevitable that there are going to be multiple people with the same name, so most of us have just stopped worrying about it.  If you're from a smaller family, though, I can see where repeating names could be problematic.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Poppy - It's easy to say in theory, but I wouldn't care who had already used a name, unless it was immediate family.  Since my neice's name is Alexandra, I wouldn't use Alexandra for example. (It's too bad because I like Alexis, but then we could end up with 2 Lexis in the family!)  I'll still consider Lyla for our next daughter regardless if my friend ends up choosing it... Except that people will think she is the one who came up with the "original" name!  Dang!  :o)

Nice, fellow Buffy fans!

Daisy - I'm not sure I ever knew your kids' names.  Love them!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

My DH and I didn't start discussing baby names seriously until after we knew DD was a girl. I think that made it easier, because we had half as much to worry about. We had 3 names we really liked, and shared those 3 with friends and family, but we waited until she was born to pick her name. We really needed to meet her to know which was the right name. Also, that helped keep everyone off our backs a little- they all lobbied for their favorite, but we still picked the one we felt was the best match for DD.

Her middle name is my mom's name. I think it is important to think about names, nicknames, and if initials spell anything, but not to get too hung up on it. After all, my mom remarried and her initals wound up spelling JEW (which she hated), but she was born JEB, and was JEL while married to my father. I was ALL until I got married, now I'm ALC. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Amy-Lynn--I was DLC before I got married; now I'm DLL. :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

For  Winterwedding--don't forget that there are a lot of saints with the same name. So if saint's names appeal, figure out which saint appeals to you for something they did. I work with Confirmation prep so this is a spiel I give regularly.  Don't just be Theresa--is it Therese of Lisieux (I can never spell that one) or Teresa of Avila or Mother Teresa you admire?  Is it John the apostle or John the Baptist?  Francis of Assisi or Francis Xavier?  There are at least half a dozen St. Catherine or Katherines.

And there is a big trend not not to use nicknames, which kicked in over the past decade and I don't think it's going away soon--you hear David and William and Alexandra, not Dave and Billy and Lexi.  The only nicknames I ever hear are non-names like Sissy (?) for the sister, etc.

I'd say, though, either pick a traditional name, an obscure but previously existing name, or a new non-traditional name;  but please don't mangle an old name with bizarre spellings and pronunciations. You like Madison or Marley or Evan or Hepzibah for a girl?  Go for it.  Khrystall Maree?  Insisting on pronouncing Dylan as DYE-lahn? Bad idea.  All it does is give small kids an attitude because the very first conversation they have with any adult is to correct them.  When you tell your kid to say goodbye to Jessica they just met at the park and you get, "No, I'm not Jessica, I'm Chessika, C-H-E-S-S-I-K-A" in an aggrieved tone out of a toddler still in diapers...not a good means of socialization.  Sounds like a mouthy teenager already at two!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Purplecow,
    Sissy is actually a nick name for Bridget. I had a great aunt Sissy. She was the oldest girl, so it may in fact mean Sister, but in my family at least, Sissy was a nickname for Bridget. We have another Bridget who does not go by Sissy, though. :-)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Hmm, clc...Penelope, Paige?? haha, j/k!

Another one I love, Bridget, but DH is a no. Man, why does he have to be so difficult! Another name that is popping up everywhere is Mason. I have two friends with Mason's and another who is having a boy whom she already named Mason.

P.S. now I am excited to see what everyone names their babies!

Sections
Shortcuts