Baby Names

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Re: Baby Names

Kar - I would have thought your friends had had enough surprises.  :-)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

Hi lemon- welcome back. we missed you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

We went with a naming structure for DS to name him after his fater-but no use his father's name. ;) we gave him the same/similar meaning. DH's name means "Wise King" so DS's name means "Intelligent Little King". His frist name is similar to a very popular name here, but it's spelled slightly different and pronounced differently-though everyone wants to call him the popular ponounciation. But we gave him a first name from DH's country. And I'm proud when my DS corrects people on how to pronounce his name. It's his name, and he gets to be called by it.

With DD's name we did the meaning thing again, part of my name means Grace, and my grandmother's name means Noble. we found a name that means Noble & Grace. :) It's not a commont full name but very common nick name. I like having a formal name and nick names for girls.  I like them to have a formal name for when they're a professional, and a nickname that they can chose to use.

So, both of my kids have names that are not the most common, DS uncommon in spellling (here in the states)-but wouldn't you know there's another little boy with the same spelling in his preschool room_though they chose to do the common pronounciation. DD's name is in the bottom of the top 1000 of the SS list.  But wouldn't you know in the news lately there have been 2 other little girls with the same name (slightly different spelling), the week before DD was born another girl at the hospital was given the same name, and a little girl at my Mommy and Me Yoga class had the same name! Crazy!

We always kept the name a secret-well except from our mothers. :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Names were pretty easy for DH and I. 

As soon as I found out I was pregnant with #1, Boy or Girl it was Logan.  Middle Name Sydney after my grandfather, Samuel.    I remember sitting on the couch with the book, I had the upper hand and was only reading ones off I liked.  I said Logan, he said Yup, and that was it.

For #2, we didnt really talk about the name until we found out it was a boy.  That night, He walked into the room and said, how about Cam or Cameron.  I just said perfect and that was it.  DH is die hard bruins since birth so that is where it came from.  We named him Cameron instead of Cam.  because it just sounds better with our last name.   His middle name is James after DH brother. 

As soon as we knew we told everyone right away.  I thought it was pretty cool for the baby to be reffered to as something.  We never really got any comments about the name.  Maybe because we just said these are there names and that is final. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Baby Names:
    We went with a naming structure for DS to name him after his fater-but no use his father's name. ;) we gave him the same/similar meaning. DH's name means "Wise King" so DS's name means "Intelligent Little King". His frist name is similar to a very popular name here, but it's spelled slightly different and pronounced differently-though everyone wants to call him the popular ponounciation. But we gave him a first name from DH's country. And I'm proud when my DS corrects people on how to pronounce his name. It's his name, and he gets to be called by it. With DD's name we did the meaning thing again, part of my name means Grace, and my grandmother's name means Noble. we found a name that means Noble & Grace. :) It's not a commont full name but very common nick name. I like having a formal name and nick names for girls.  I like them to have a formal name for when they're a professional, and a nickname that they can chose to use. So, both of my kids have names that are not the most common, DS uncommon in spellling (here in the states)-but wouldn't you know there's another little boy with the same spelling in his preschool room_though they chose to do the common pronounciation. DD's name is in the bottom of the top 1000 of the SS list.  But wouldn't you know in the news lately there have been 2 other little girls with the same name (slightly different spelling), the week before DD was born another girl at the hospital was given the same name, and a little girl at my Mommy and Me Yoga class had the same name! Crazy! We always kept the name a secret-well except from our mothers. :)
    Posted by KAM2007

I have smoke coming out of my ears right now from trying to figure out these names.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Quad, we are thinking of Logan for a boy :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Quad - DH is a huge Bruins fan too.  I told him we could name the baby Zdeno if it was a boy, but he wasn't interested.  I was completely serious. 

I also love the name Dario (not Bruins related), but I don't know if we could pull off an Italian name.  Makes me wish Daria hadn't been a cartoon on MTV.

I think if you have 100% decided on a name, you get fewer stupid comments.  If you say 3 names, people think they have to give an opinion.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Okay, I'm guessing

DH - Solomon

DS - Ryan, spelled Rioghan

DD - Abby

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

CT-DC - I also loved Mr. Rogers! 

If my brother had been a girl he would have been Sara, and I insisted he be Queen Sara, not just Sara. I guess he's lucky he was a boy, and that I didn't insist on him being called Prince Tuesday. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I love the name Persephone and I love the Greek mythology behind it but DH says no, except maybe as a middle name potentially. 

Part of my trouble is I have way too many literary allusions floating about in my head and I never want to have a negative association.  For example, I think the name Cassandra is very pretty but poor Cassandra had one of the most painful curses thrown at her ever and I don't want to give my baby a cursed name.

Also, as a teacher, there are soooo many names you don't want.  Even if they're not negative associations it can feel weird. 

Plus, on my side, family names are big, especially for boys, while on DH's side they NEVER name anyone after someone who is still alive (Jewish tradition--you can only name after dead people), but then once someone dies there is a LOT of pressure to name the next baby after the person.  So if we have a boy there will be a LOT of pressure to name the baby Saul, even though it's not a name we're about to use.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

CT-DC - I also loved Mr. Rogers!  If my brother had been a girl he would have been Sara, and I insisted he be Queen Sara, not just Sara. I guess he's lucky he was a boy, and that I didn't insist on him being called Prince Tuesday. 
    Posted by amy-lynn

I loved Mr. Rogers too!  My mum tells a story from when she was 9 months pregnant with my sister and we went to some WGBH event in Boston and the actor who played Mr. McFeely was there in character and he saw her and said "speedy delivery."  She said it was thrilling haha. 

Anyway, on the subject of kids wanting to name babies; DD has decided, boy or girl, the baby should be named Rosie. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Love the name Logan... that would have been my first choice as well but I have a cousin on my side and a fairly recent baby on DH's side with that name so we dropped it from our list.  But I love names that can go for either gender.  When I was younger I always wanted a boy's nickname - like Sam for Samantha or Max for Maxine.  Sadly... there was just no way to do it with my name.

Lissa... funny I've thought the same thing about poor Cassandra... 

ALF - I call my best friend Al :-)  And she is an Allie too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Thanks!  Logan is more common for boys and pretty high up on the list.  I only know two other girl logans, One from a mutual friend and a girl on the USA volleyball team. 

Fram, Zdeno would have been awesome!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Lemon-how do you sent private messages here??? I don't like posting the kids names online...but you did get DS middle name right...If I can figure out how to send a private message...

I love reading how people decided on names!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Isn't Logan the real name of Wolverine from the X-Men?

No matter what you pick, unless you go really, really obscure, there is going to be a movie, book, or TV character with that name.  Plus now the trend is to give pets "people" names so you've got a chance of running into someone whose dog is named Timothy or Margie.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I love the name Persephone and I love the Greek mythology behind it but DH says no, except maybe as a middle name potentially.  Part of my trouble is I have way too many literary allusions floating about in my head and I never want to have a negative association.  For example, I think the name Cassandra is very pretty but poor Cassandra had one of the most painful curses thrown at her ever and I don't want to give my baby a cursed name.
    Also, as a teacher, there are soooo many names you don't want.  Even if they're not negative associations it can feel weird.  Posted by lissafro

I have no idea what the background is on Hermione, but you reminded me that I had NO CLUE how to pronounce it until the Harry Potter movie came out.  It is way prettier than Her-me-own!

A friend who is a teacher just named her son one of the most popular boy names.  I was surpised because I thought she'd stay away from the ones where she has 5 of them in her class.  Maybe they haven't made it to 3rd grade yet :o)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I believe Hermione was the daughter of Helen and Menelaus (before Helen ran off with Paris). 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Lemon-how do you sent private messages here??? I don't like posting the kids names online...but you did get DS middle name right...If I can figure out how to send a private message... I love reading how people decided on names!
    Posted by KAM2007

hahahahaha You mean your husband's name isn't Solomon? Really thought I nailed that one.

Oh, and your name is Hanna. Your grandmother was named Adel.

And you're not really a woman. You're Will Shortz, the Puzzlemaster.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Okay, my turn. I named my daughter a traditional but currently uncommon name. The female version peaked in popularity in the 1920s; however, in its male form it one of the "rising stars" in the baby name world. It has multiple nicknames. It has adorned statesmen and empresses. Its roots are greek.

It's driving you CRAZY isn't it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

Besides food, names is my favorite topic of discussion. My DH and I had a girl name picked out for years. It was actually the last name of a Red Sox player. It was in the 300s of the SS list. The night before the ultrasound, I was watching Extreme Makeover Home Edition. The story was the woman went into labor, and they couldn't find her husband because he had a heart attack. She gives birth to a girl and names her our name. I am hysterically crying and then saying it's a sign that we are having a girl and using our name. My DH says absolutely not, you are not the one that dies in the story. I was sad to lose our name, but got over it quickly once we found out we were having a girl and officially named her.

Since I was little I had always wanted to name a daughter Grace Emma after my grandmother and great-grandmother. Those names are so popular now. And my brother called Grace when the time actually came for us to have babies. He's had 2 boys so far so we'll see what happens if a 3rd comes along.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

Lemon, that's just *mean*! *runs off to Google*

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Logan is also the name of a kid I sat next to in science class in sixth grade who would sing the "insane in the membrane" song repeatedly.  He became (had already started?) a stoner who said "dude" a lot.  I can't get past that.  Though I do really like the name Logan.  It's funny how strong some associations can be.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Lemon, I've been wracking my brain (and Google) but I've come up with...

Theodora!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Love the guessing games!  Fun.  I thought of this article I read early last year and wanted to post here.  Its just beyond cute.  And since many of us are in our 30s (and female!) on this site, I'd bet there are several Jennifers here.  And I represent the next of the dying names... according to this story :-)

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2011/01/13/the_rise_and_fall_of_jennifers/

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Maybe I'm a little sensitive having lost peers and having just turned 40, but I wouldn't have called that a light, fun read.

Sections
Shortcuts