Baby Names

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: Baby Names

Do you want those that guessed to remove their answer? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

naw, it's fine. :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

In Response to Re: Baby Names:
    [QUOTE]in Response to Re: Baby Names : Great, now my kid is destin to be a stoner, following in her mothers footsteps I guess.hahaha  If that is the worst thing she will do in her life, ill take it.  I grew out of that phase pretty quickly.
    Posted by quadgirl1234[/QUOTE]
    It's not exactly a negative association haha.  It'd just be weird for me to name a boy that.  I like it as a girl's name, actually.  I'm pretty sure "my" Logan still hasn't grown out of it, judging by what I saw at our last hs reunion :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

On the subject of Logans. Perhaps the "stoner" Logan is just taking after Ted (Theodore) Logan, as played by Keanu Reeves in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. That is the reason my dog is called Logan - I thought Keanu was about as smart as a Golden Retriever. 

I mean no offense to any Logans (or other names) on the boards - I know that it was a last name in the movie, but despite being Teddy-bearish, my dog is so totally a Logan, not a Ted or Teddy, or even a Theo.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Interesting article about "Jennifers". Does anyone else think that the name Lindsey was really popular between 1980-1983?? I have 4 friends with that name!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

I think the name Logan is adorable, especially for a girl!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

One of my MIL few "requests" when naming our children was to not name them something that could be either a boys or girls name. I used to drive her crazy when she was a teacher.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Not sure I've ever met a Lindsey... but I know 100 Michelles in their 30s.  I have about 5 that are very close friends or family.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I have a family member w/ the name Lindsey [spelled differently] who was born in that time frame.  I think it was a relatively common name then, liz.  At least, it wasn't unusual. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[QUOTE]Everyone always wants to know why we named our daughter Theodora. "Oh, is it a family name?" no. "Is it from a book?" No. Maybe, but not that we know of. "The empress Theodora?" Who? "How did you come up with it, then?" Well, we didn't come up with it. It was a name that existed. We talked about it. We both liked it. It had good nickname potential. It wasn't weird or overused. So we decided to use it.
    Posted by lemonmelon[/QUOTE]

When April was first born, we always got that question - "Is it a family name?"  I took that as, "Oh that sounds like an old lady name", which I was surprised by, but not offended.  Now we just get, "Oh how did you come up with that?"  Just a purdy name I decided to put on my list :o)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Liz - I knew a couple Lindsays but a lot more Jennifers, Jessicas, and Sarahs. But I grew up in a small town so maybe we were behind the times! ETA - Nicole was really popular too.

I love the name Logan, but personally would not use it for a girl since I've really only heard it used for boys. My name is derived from my grandmother's maiden name and is typically used for boys with slightly different spelling but exact same sound. I had a horrible time dealing with it growing up. I had this complex when I was little that people would think I was a boy and because I had a boy's name then my voice must sound like a boy so I refused to talk. I'm not saying that would happen to everyone, but I could never consider using a name that might be confused. To this day, it drives me crazy when people see my name and ask for MR. XYZ.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I don't know any Lindsey's.  I went to school with a bunch of Jennifer's, Jessica's, Karen's, Elizabeth's and Michelle's though. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

I think there were more Kristens/Kristins in my high school class as there were Jennifers.  And don't forget Amy/Aimee.  I think there were more of those than anything else.  (I graduated in 1994.)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

My husband and I both have gender-neutral names, and it comes in very handy when I want to complain about a charge on a bill in his name, or give him my card to use for something.

I've had a gender-neutral-name email client-type-person for the past few years, and we've had a great time trying to write to each other without any pronouns. Fun!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

I know 3 girls named Lyndsie, Lindsay and Lindsey. I had a ton of Melissas in my class.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

My name is one of the common ones listed. It was so annoying to be known by FirstNAme LastInitial! My mom had my name picked out for years and when I was born she didn't know that it was something like number 3 in popularity. I love the name Jacob, but after those fiercely wretched Twilight books came out I feel like it has been sullied. :(

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

In my high school of about 500 kids there were at least 5 lindsay/lindseys; 3 Jessicas in my class alone; 5 Sara(h)s in my class; a ton of Katies; a couple Heathers, Amys, Stephanies, Nicoles, and Amandas.  These names are non-existant now when I look around at the names at daycare.  
    My husband's name is a family name but he is known by his initials it drove him crazy so his rule is the nickname has to be obvious. (John from Jonathon) 
    My full name is very feminine but the nickname can go either way especially in a certain culture.  There was a boy with my name growing up and I was always so embarressed that all my friends shared names (we had a ton of repeats) but I shared mine with a boy...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

[QUOTE]I love the name Jacob, but after those fiercely wretched Twilight books came out I feel like it has been sullied. :(
    Posted by WhirledPeasPlease[/QUOTE]

I completely agree! Edward is a family name that I would consider too but now I'm not so sure after those books. It does not seem to be quite as popular as Jacob though.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

My Name is Lindsey and My mom and dad both swear it was very unpopular when they named me that.    Then the news anchors Chet and Nat named there daughter Lindsey and it became popular.  Who knows, I know and have met quite a few Lindseys born in my time frame. I was born in 1979.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Lindsey is a pretty name even if your folks were unaware of its popularity.  I don't think popularity ruins a name at all.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Thanks Kar :-)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

I'm a Jennifer!  The most popular girls name for the 1970s so I've read.  And my mother thought she was being so original.  I know about a billion other Jens.  And I do agree with the article that I still think of it as a young person's name.  Can you say, "denial"?  LOL.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

This makes me think about Anne of Green Gables (oh, how I LOVED those books!  Along with the Little House. . . series, I can't wait until DD is old enough for me to read them with her!)  Remember how she was SOOOOOO mad that her name was Anne because it was boring and how she made such a big deal about being "Anne with an E" and always lamented that her name was not something more "elegant" like Cordelia? 

We all have our hangups about our names! haha.  Our kids will certainly have them too.  These names we picked so carefully will be resented when the kid is 12, along with everything else we've done for them Smile

Any Apples or Blue Ivys out there?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

[QUOTE]Any Apples or Blue Ivys out there?
    Posted by lissafro[/QUOTE]

I've always thought that Cyan would be such a pretty name for a girl. I have a friend who gave her daughter Blu for a middle name, so I was excited that colors were becoming names and that my kid wouldn't be the weird one. But then my husband sounded out Cyan with our last name and it sounds HORRIBLE! So forget that one...

My name isn't super common. I shared it with one girl growing up, so I was used to being first-name-last-initial. Then I got to my Irish Catholic College and there were 4 in the freshman class. Res Life must have thought they were being cute because they put 3 of us on the same floor, 2 in the same room! Our last names both started with C and we were both in accounting classes. You know how confusing that was for people calling! Luckily we had different hair colors!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

How do you pronounce Cyan?  Like Cayenne, the pepper/color red?

Sections
Shortcuts