Baby Shower Help!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from singlemalt11. Show singlemalt11's posts

Baby Shower Help!!

Hi,

My mom is trying to plan a shower for me for later this spring/early summer.  I loathe traditional showers and the 'gimme gimme' tone of so many these days.  I want something fun and non-traditional that people won't dread going to.  Any suggestions?  I'm trying to figure out not only location, but theme, time of day, etc.  We have lots of people coming from Central MA, so anywhere from Boston to Worcester is on the table.

Thanks!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Re: Baby Shower Help!!

If you don't want a shower or presents, why don't you just plan a "meet the baby" party for after the baby is born? That is a great reason to have a gathering of people and takes the focus off the gifts. Otherwise, I can't think of a baby-related reason to get a large group of people together before the birth besides the shower. (I mean, I could see a small luncheon with close family and friends, but that's about it.) A theme gets tricky and seems to me to put the focus even more on gifts--like a diaper shower or a toy shower? Maybe I'm not understanding what you have in mind by a theme?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Baby Shower Help!!:
    [QUOTE]I loathe traditional showers and the 'gimme gimme' tone of so many these days.
    Posted by singlemalt11[/QUOTE]

Gimme gimme is the entire point of the shower -- the purpose is to shower the mother-to-be with gifts she can use for her child.

If you want a shower where people will have fun, invite both men and women and serve alcohol.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

Baby showers seem to always produce a mass of clothing in the 0-6 month size that you will never get around to putting on your baby before he/she outgrows them... or a mass of burping clothes and other generic baby items.

Why not make it a book-themed shower? I cannot tell you how much I have invested in buying books to read to my daughter... and it'll never end. We love love love books. Maybe the food/drinks/decor/games can be based on various popular children's books and you can register at Barnes & Nobles for a bunch of books.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

People enjoy giving gifts to the mom-to-be.  Why take that joy away from everyone who loves you so much and wants to celebrate by giving you gifts?

ETA:  I love the book theme idea.  People could give books that meant a lot to them in their childhoods, and it would be extra special and personal especially if they think of inscribing them.

Oh, and speaking as an avid crocheter, I'd be sad if I was told not to make a baby blanket for dear friends or family. I'm always on the lookout for nice yarn and patterns even if no one I know is expecting.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I agree with both the posts above. I LOVE buying baby stuff! I loved it before I had a kid of my own and I love it now. I've heard that showers are kind of a drag, but I've never been to the traditional kind where you sit around with a bunch of other women and play creepy baby-related games. The showers I've attended have been casual cookouts or parties at people's homes, and everyone has brought food and hung out and had an awesome time. And books are absolutely the best gift you can receive (well, that and AA batteries -- our friends with 2 kids gave us a giant box of AA batteries at our shower and we were kind of perplexed, but we used every single one of them in the first year). We had our shower at a particularly bad point in the recession, and most of our friends were feeling the pinch. So we asked (through our party host, of course) for used books. And the great thing about used books is that they've been vetted by another kid, so you know they're good.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

http://www.marthastewart.com/photogallery/a-book-themed-baby-shower#slide_2

A lot of the stuff at the above link is crazy fancy and ridiculous but the I LOVE the idea of sending the book plate with the invitation (or the link for the PDF within a evite).  That way, every book she receives at the shower will have the pretty personalized label on the inside front cover, including a nice note about why the giver chose that particular book.  It will make it even more special.

My friends and I are doing this for a baby shower we are throwing for one of our coworkers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

Singlemalt, I felt the same way as you when I was pregnant with my son.  My mother and MIL planned my shower and it was a hard line to walk because my MIL was over zealously into throwing me a GIANT shower with games and the whole deal.  There really isn't a right way to go about telling other people what to do when they want to give you something.  I was most anxious about being the center of attention and when it came down to it the shower was beautiful and not as bad as I thought it was going to be. It was one day in my life. MIL was thrilled.

That being said, if I could do it again, I would have an open house as suggested above.  Wait till after your baby is born and you're ready for company and invite everyone over.  Say the "open house" is from noon - 3pm and people can come and go as they please.  I really wish I had done that since I felt like I didn't get to spend a lot of time with my guests and a major portion of the shower was me sitting on a stage (no joke) opening presents.  There was also a book theme at my shower and the invite had a little poem asking each guest to bring a book in lieu of a traditional gift.  We received LOTS of books and LOTS of presents.  There really isn't any way of getting around the mini mountain of infant clothes/blankets/burp cloths. People love to buy stuff for babies (myself included)!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I was very anti-shower...maybe it was superstition, maybe because we decided not to find out the gender and I didn't want a sea of duck and frog outfits, maybe it's just my desire not to be the center of attention. 

Two of my mom's dear friends threw my small shower, and they were sensitive to all of my concerns.  It was in one of their homes, on a Friday night, very casual with fancy pizzas, salad and desserts, and about 15-20 of my closest women friends.  We read a book called "Someday" (read it if you want a cry, about motherhood), people wrote tips for motherhood in a bound book for me, and it was a really nice evening.  It was the perfect kind of night for me, since I was surrounded by people who meant something to me and who I knew were not only a part of my life, but would be a part of my child's life. 

Oh, and at the two baby showers I've thrown, I've included that we want to build the baby's library on the invite, so books were a big theme. 

You can't get around the outfit dilemma...people love to buy baby clothes.  I had a fall/winter baby, and baby buntings/bundles were a big hit...given that we hardly ever went out since this winter was so terrible, and when we did, she was in a hat, a light fleece and the BundleMe, none of the 5 different fancy buntings were ever worn.  And of course, none had gift receipts or any sort of tags that enabled me to return them!! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

I wanted to add, too, that I was not a fan of my bridal showers (though enormously thankful for the gifts and the love of friends and family). I felt really awkward getting gifts meant for DH and myself. But, the baby shower was totally different. Everything was about the baby, all the gifts and the conversation, etc, so I felt much less self-conscious about the whole thing. Just a thought if all you've ever experienced is a bridal shower.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from singlemalt11. Show singlemalt11's posts

Thank you all!!!  This is very helpful! 

To clarify a little, it is both my mom and MIL who are throwing this and they along with other family members are really excited about it, so I know there is no way of avoiding it.  I definitely don't want to take the joy of giving away from anyone (and lord knows I could use the help buying supplies, etc.), I am really just looking for ideas that I could suggest to my mom and MIL to make it more of a fun event and not the type of shower I personally dread going to. 

I love the book idea.  Was also thinking about an alternative time of day like cocktails and dessert instead of the traditional brunch.  Or maybe a pizza party lunch (again with plenty to drink - for everyone except me, of course).  Neither my mom or MIL want to have it at their house. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

I am sure you can find a location for a dessert or cocktail type shower.  For my second my mom planned a "sprinkle" that was a high tea.  She had a ball.  I think there are some dessert bars in Worcester.  Not sure how many you are looking to host.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Have it at the milky way in JP. Everyone can bowl and gift and drink.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

In Response to Re: Baby Shower Help!!:
    [QUOTE]Have it at the milky way in JP. Everyone can bowl and gift and drink.
    Posted by lemonmelon[/QUOTE]

Or Pinz in Milford, if you wanted something more metrowest.

http://www.pinzbowl.com/

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

I just attended a baby shower at the Hampshire House in Boston (above Cheers).  It was lovely.  Elegant, but not pretentious.  The invites asked for a favorite book for the baby's library (but I love the idea lissafro mentioned above with actually putting a book plate in it with a personalized message).  We didn't do many games, just a bingo game for the presents (the beautiful flower centerpieces were the prizes), and they had prepared little cards to write advice for the mom-to-be. 

The food was delicious, with passed appetizers, and comfort food as the theme: grilled cheese and tomato soup, turkey, mashed potatoes, and apple crisp for dessert, along with cake.  We did the traditional opening presents routine, but otherwise, it was just about 20 women hanging out in a nice, private room, with an open bar (mimosas and champagne) and good food and good conversation.  Might have been the best shower I've attended. 

I'm going to another one on Sunday.  This one is at someone's house and will probably be more "traditional". 

And, I always try to buy people 6-9 month clothes, because I feel that is always a gap - they get shower presents (0-6 months), and then first birthday presents (12-18 months), but new parents are usually on their own for 6-9 months. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

I know what you mean regarding the tone of showers, my mother in law for my wedding and baby shower was all like "what do you think you're going to get?" and I was like "I hope I get some prayers for good health."  I think it was a bit of a cultural thing, but my mom and sister threw my baby shower and it was really sweet.  I did register, but I got lots of hand-made things that are just so precious and for that reason, several of my friends told me it was the best shower they had ever been to.  I think the gimme gimme has more to do with how you act than anything else.  If you're gracious, thankful and make a point to acknowledge everyone's best wishes for you and the baby, then you'll be just fine.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I absolutely agree, cinnababy.  The "gimme gimme" nature of a shower is all about how the recipient behaves (graciously and thankful verses entitled and snotty) and has nothing to do with the fact that it is a gift-giving event.