Babymoon?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

Babymoon?

Did you and DH take a babymoon?  When did you go (how far along were you)?  Where did you go/any recommendations for a minimal budget for a vacay?

I'm just curious and somewhat bored.  :o)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

Re: Babymoon?

I'm curious too!  We're trying to figure out a good summer vacation.  It's tricky because we're usually pretty active and I'm not really up for anything too challenging right now.  (For example, I'm opting out of the desert backpacking trip we had talked about taking with a friend.)  We might just go spend a week near the beach in Maine . . .

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

We didn't, we just kept working haha.  A friend of mine recently went on a babymoon down the Cape last month and really loved the quiet, offseason feel. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

With #1, we did a long weekend in NYC. It was fun and I REALLY enjoyed eating out at lots of fun places. That said, I found NYC exhausting. We ended up in cabs more than usual because I got tired more easily. I also had a harder time with the crowds and felt much more protective of my personal space. Even though I am glad we did the trip, it was definitely a bit of a mixed bag.

With this pg, we are going to Bermuda for about 9 days this summer. We're bringing DS and staying in an apartment right near the beach and a kids playground. We're looking forward to beach and play time with DS and relaxing with a book on the deck while DS takes his naps. I'll let you know how it goes!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

When I was 30 weeks pregnant in December, we went to Grand Cayman for 3 nights.  I would recommend at least 4 nights if flying is involved, but I didn't have enough vacation days left.  Technically the trip was for my 30th birthday, but it doubled as a babymoon :o)
    The trip was pretty similar to any other beach vacation we would have taken... We ate, we lied (layed?) on the beach, and we went on one excursion.  I even went snorkeling!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

We went to San Diego when I was 19/20 weeks.  The flight was long but we flew direct to San Francisco and had a long enough layover that we could stretch our legs and have lunch.  It was January so the weather was mid sixties and sunny. I loved it, not too hot but warm enough for this East Coast girl to put on her bathing suit and sit by the pool!  The biggest downside was missing out on all the margaritas.... :)

I definately reccommend taking the time to do something with your DH.  I can't imagine our lives with out DS but I think fondly of that week DH and I had together doing whatever we wanted. My entire pregnancy totally dragged (it was like time stood still because I was so excited/anxious/terrified) and the trip to Califonia really helped break it up.  It was also a welcome distraction from our doctor appointment to find out the gender of the baby.  I was literally counting down the hours!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

(fram - lay is the past tense of lie so "we lay on the beach" is correct - since you asked)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTSept06. Show CTSept06's posts

We went to Turks & Caicos last January for a babymoon before #1. It was a great trip because it is actually a pretty short flight- like 3.5 hours from Boston- and a very quiet, low key island. I would definitely recommend taking some time for yourself as a couple before the baby comes! We are expecting #2 in the fall so my husband and I are going to sneak off to Bermuda for a couple nights this summer without DD.  Going away in the summer/fall would give you lots of local destinations even if it's just for a weekend- it's worth it!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Kar, what about "laid"?  I know that has other implications when you do that on the beach, but isn't that the past tense of lay?  Then again lay is the past tense of lie.  So I'm totally confused.  No wonder why people have such trouble learning English!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, laid is the past tense of lay, you're correct.  But, a person can only lie on the beach (not lay) so you want to use the past tense of lie which is lay. 

It's like rise (lie) and raise (lay).  One you do for yourself, the other you do to something else.  You raise the flag but you rise from a chair.  You lay a book down but you lie yourself down (on the beach).

It's very confusing - my mom was an English major in college, though, and she beat it into me.  

ETA:  

I lie down.
    Yesterday I lay down.
    I have lain down before.

I lay it down every day.
    Yesterday I laid it down.
    I have laid it down before.

"Lay" being both the present tense of what you do to an object and the past tense of what you do for yourself makes it all the more confusing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I wouldn't have mentioned it at all, but the "?" in Fram's post was more than I could bear - it was an invitation if ever I saw one, right? ;)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Thanks!  It makes sense when you point it out that way.  And sorry to everyone else out there who doesn't care, but I try to represent the English language as best as possible!  

Please resume your regularly scheduled discussion regarding babymoons.  We went to Lake Winnepesaukee for 2 nights when I was 6 months pregnant with DS and left DD at home with Grandma and Grandpa.  We had a wedding to go to up there and we had a great time.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You're welcome, and sorry to everyone else, too, for allowing a little "?" to overpower me.  I mostly have the compulsion under control; it's a work in progress.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Thanks, Kar - I ended up googling it myself to be sure...! 

But as for the babymoon - no, we didn't.  I so wish we had!  We really need a vacation together but it's a bit too late now!  I wish we'd gone at around 6 months...Bermuda for a long weekend would have been perfect!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

We didn't do any before #1.  Huge mistake in my opinion.  If I could do it all over I would have had DH and I take a long weekend and go up to Montreal to a fantasic B&B we know up there.

For #2 we went to UK.  It was a lot of running around, but that's how we roll in our family :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

We didn't take a babymoon, but it's something I wish we had done, actually.  A lot of this Baby Industry stuff kind of rubbed me wrong, so I had lumped babymoon in with the rest of the must-do's that the Nest and Babycenter kept e-mailing me about, but I think this one is valid. 

I recommend something low-key, like a beach or some other restful retreat. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

We spent three nights in VT when I was about 30 weeks...great B&B, places to walk around, water for swimming or sitting by, good restaurants, and no pressure to do anything.  Which was good, since one day I was full of energy and we went to Burlington AND for a hike, and another day all I wanted to do was bring a chair to the river and sit with a book and dip my feet in the water! 

Now the DD is 6 months old, we're talking about doing a baby-free-moon this fall, and do something similar, but probably in Ogunquit this time.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

In Response to Re: Babymoon?:
    (fram - lay is the past tense of lie so "we lay on the beach" is correct - since you asked)
    Posted by kargiver

Thank you!!  The question mark was definitely an invitation.  I can never remember which one is correct - because I didn't know lay was the past tense of lie!

As a side note, I can't believe I wrote layed instead of laid.  Wow.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

It's ok, Fram.  Today I typed "moor" instead of "more" and couldn't figure out why it looked weird. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Well, if it makes you feel any better, this morning I wrote "turkies" and was surprised for a second that spell check changed it to "turkeys."  I've never been much of a speller!  But, the chanting of "lie, lay, lain," 100s of times burned it into my skull.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Get away while you can!!  We went to San Fran in Feb, I was about 30 weeks pg. I'm a teacher so it was either Feb vaca or xmas vaca, both very expensive times to travel.  We went to San Fran because it was on my list of places to see and knew it was not really a place we'd take small children, also the plane tickets were only 200 each!   It was SO worth going, dinners out, site seeing..even just relaxing in the hotel room was nice.  The flight was long which was the worst part, I'd go somewhere that's not a long flight if you decide to fly. 
     As a new mom I suggest go while you can..even if it's to stay in a B&B not far away.  You'll appreciate the time you spent with your DH.  Now I can't get a meal in w/o DS interrupting! :) 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

In Response to Re: Babymoon?:
    Yes, laid is the past tense of lay, you're correct.  But, a person can only lie on the beach (not lay) so you want to use the past tense of lie which is lay.  It's like rise (lie) and raise (lay).  One you do for yourself, the other you do to something else.  You raise the flag but you rise from a chair.  You lay a book down but you lie yourself down (on the beach). It's very confusing - my mom was an English major in college, though, and she beat it into me.   ETA:   I lie down. Yesterday I lay down. I have lain down before. I lay it down every day. Yesterday I laid it down. I have laid it down before. "Lay" being both the present tense of what you do to an object and the past tense of what you do for yourself makes it all the more confusing.
    Posted by kargiver

Beat me to it, Kar. 
    The English teacher in me found the question irresistable but you explained it perfectly before I could reply!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cnanavati. Show cnanavati's posts

We did a week at a resort in San Diego when I was in the 2nd trimester and a visit with family (who had a new baby) in my 3rd when I was pregnant with DD.

Since she's 2.5 this time around, I guess it counts that we were on a min-vacation when I got knocked up with #2 in Hong Kong.  Our five year anniversary is in July--trying to talk the hubs into a child-free trip to Bali or Tokyo.  Depending on how things go, I also have my mother's day present to cash in--a week-long trip ALONE driving a convertible down the coast from Seattle to San Francisco and then the DD and DH meeting me there before we travel on to Boston.

Sections
Shortcuts