Baths

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Baths

I'm almost embarrassed to ask this question, as it seems silly.  But, at 38 weeks, I've been getting so achy during sleep.  I am thinking of adding warm baths to my evening routine, maybe that can loosen my thigh and hip muscles a bit before bed.  As far as I know, I haven't lost my mucus plug yet.  I'm guessing as long as the water temp is warm and not too hot... baths are ok?  And does anyone know if I could put some bubble bath in... or should I keep it just water?

I walked last night - just under a mile, and I stretched really well after.  But I was in so much pain trying to sleep last night (thighs/hips/lady parts). I don't want to give up walking, but clearly need some help dealing with the aftershocks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

Re: Baths

Im not a bath kinda girl, but when I did I used oatmeal instead of soap.  Call and speak to your doc and find out what they think

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miss-cellaneousJones. Show miss-cellaneousJones's posts

Oh IPW I feel your pain :( Good for you though that you are still getting some exercise (even though you pay for it later)! Yeah sounds like you NEED a bath :) Please treat yourself! There is no risk in taking a warm (not hot like a hot tub) bath at this point. Certainly will take the pressure off those joints and will help you to relax so that you have a better chance of sleeping well. And if you've always used bubbles/salts/oils in the bath I'd say go right ahead with that too! Not sure if this is true, but, I've heard warm baths can help to kick start the dialation process.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I'm glad you asked this!  I have actually been thinking the same thing, as I have been more sore this week.

Also, if they let you labor in a jacuzzi tub, I would think a warm bath at home would be ok?  Has anyone labored in a tub - how hot is it?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from miss-cellaneousJones. Show miss-cellaneousJones's posts

I had planned to labor in the tub at the hospital but didn't end up there since by the time I made it to the hospital I was already 10cm! LOL. But I do know the water is not hot - it's luke warm I've been told.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Poppy... I never even thought of that connection!  Thanks for bringing it up.  Makes sense... if you can give birth in a bathtub... I'm guessing you can certainly sit in one a few weeks before :-) 

I may go easy on the bubbles and the salts... but a little bit would certainly be a treat :-)

Thanks MissCJ... I'm certainly not opposed to a little dilation!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

I take a bath every night and did with DD too (bubble baths).  The doctor told me I need to limit the time to about 10 mins and make sure the water is not too hot - I guess if its too warm or hot it will up your body temp and elevate your heart rate (if I remember correctly).  I personally could not live without taking baths!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I don't know from baths, but IPW, do you have an exercise ball, the kind you sit on? It really helped me stretch my hips, legs, and back. You can do wide figure-eights on it for a very satisfying hip stretch. At the very end it was the only place I felt comfortable. And you'll need it when the baby comes anyway.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

In Response to Re: Baths:
    [QUOTE]And you'll need it when the baby comes anyway.
    Posted by lemonmelon[/QUOTE]

Just curious - why do you need it when baby comes?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Baths:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Baths : Just curious - why do you need it when baby comes?
    Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]
    When all else fails, you can calm the baby and get it to sleep by holding it and bouncing on the ball.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

I took baths throughout my pregnancy to help relax and I also labored in the jacuzzi tub at the hospital. It's not super-hot but it is a nice warm tub - no need to go luke warm, just do what's comfortable.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

I did pretty warm baths throughout my pregnancy.  The belly pretty much sits above the water (especially at the end) so I just made the water as hot as I normally would to feel comfortable.  My doctor had no problem with this.

I also agree that the exercise ball was a godsend.  I used it nightly to roll my hips around and stretch out prior to having the baby, I used it after the fact to help soothe DS with some bouncing and DS uses it now to roll around the house as a giant walking toy (19 months old). 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

They also come in handy when you go into labor -- there's all sorts of moves you can do to work through the contractions. (or you can bounce over to the nurse's station on it to demand an epidural)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL, lemon, do you remember those bouncy red balls with handles you were supposed to sit on and bounce around? It was popular in the early 70s.  Anyway, your post was a funny mental image of all the ladies on the maternity ward bouncing around on those "demanding" things. :)

Hey, they still sell them!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

I do have a ball... and am loving all the suggestions for use!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I LOVED those bouncy things. I wonder if they make sit'n'spin for adults as well.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

IPW, I wouldn't worry about the baths either.  I take one with DD every night and I'm a day ahead of you!  Anyway, maybe swimming can help loosen you up?  I have no issues with achy-ness which I totally attribute to swimming and staying active. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I will probably take advantage of the big bouncy ball in the hospital, but my house is so tiny I don't know where I'd put one if I bought one!  But I've been thinking about it.  It would have to basically live right smack in the middle of either the living room, kitchen, or nursery - I don't think it would even fit in the bedroom or dining room!  Maybe under the dining room table!  Or on top of our bed... that could be interesting.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

We have a tiny house too, so we were always fighting past Big Blue to get anywhere. We kept it in the middle of the livingroom, right in front of the tv, so we could watch infomercials while bouncing at 2am.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

Poppy, I had mine either smackdab in the middle of the living room where I either sat on it or used it as a footrest while sitting on the couch (it elevated my legs pretty high and helped with swelling at the end) or I stored it under my computer desk and used it there while surfing the web at night.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

IPW, the only no-bath caution I've read is if your water breaks.  Until then, I believe you are fine, you just don't want it super-hot.  Soaps/bubbles and stuff is just your usual girly-bits irritation concerns.  I would just wipe them with leaves, like Lemon, and call it a day.  ;)  

I HIGHLY recommend the ball -- I ordered one in celebration of my Amazon Prime membership, and find it super-comfy to sit on to watch TV, roll around, etc ... I hide it next to the couch at night.  My house looks like Babies R Us blew up, anyway, what's one more eye-sore?  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My mom had a bulged disc, and her doctor "prescribed" a balance ball for her to sit on while it healed because she literally couldn't stand the pain that sitting on anything else caused - it was the only time she had any relief.  They live in a double wide mobile home so there wasn't a lot of room, but given the pain she was in she didn't care!  Poor thing couldn't even sit in the car/drive or anything.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

For my education, what's the major concern with taking a hot-ish bath?  Does it supposedly induce labor?  Is the temperature the concern?  I would think the temp would be OK because I thought the amniotic fluid keeps the baby from getting too hot or cold.  Thanks as always!

Poppy, I was thinking the same thing - where on earth would I put that big ball?  There is already an elliptical machine in the corner of my living room!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

All this is making me nostalgic for Big Blue. My husband swore that his abs were never better than in those first few months of boucing on that d@mned ball.
    Put the ball on the elliptical when you're not using it. It will look like art.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It can raise the mother's bp and restrict blood flow to the baby from what I've read, Fram.

Art, lemon - I love it!  It kinda would...

Sections
Shortcuts