BC after baby?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

BC after baby?

When did you ladies start thinking about birth control after the baby? 

DH and I had made the decision a long time ago to have only one child, and we're sticking to that.  I know 100% that this is something neither of us will change our mind on (despite the fact that co-workers and complete strangers seem to know otherwise, grr).  I really don't like the idea of doing anything permanent since I'm still in my 20's, and I think DH is way too much of a wimp to consider getting snipped!  :)

What would you ladies recommend?  I don't really want to take the pill forever if I don't have to.  My girlfriend has the IUD and loves it, so I'm thinking about that.  Still I'm curious to hear others' opinions.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: BC after baby?

I haven't researched the various options.  A few years ago I had to go off BC, so we used condoms for years.  Worked fine for us. 
    We haven't fully decided, but think we'd like at least one more.  I would like a couple of years in between, though, so I'd be interested in hearing from people too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Ugh, currently thinking about this... my DH hates condoms, and if you're breastfeeding you can't be on the pill, so that option's out.  I'm not quite 6 weeks out from a c-section, so we haven't dealt with it yet, but soon we'll need to.  I don't really have any advice, however a few friends went on different types of IUD's (I didn't even know there were different kinds until recently) and have been very happy with them.  Do you think there's a chance your DH might come around about getting snipped?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

You can be on the mini pill and breastfeed, but everyone who takes the mini pill gets pregnant, so it's pointless.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JACON. Show JACON's posts

Huh? What's the mini pill?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

Jacon-The mini pill has fewer hormones from the regular pill and can be taken right away.  My midwife prescribed it for me at my 6 week appt. and told me that I could start taking it immediately since I had not begun menustrating. 

Lemon-You've heard of people who've gotten pregnant while on the mini pill????

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JACON. Show JACON's posts

Thanks Nene. I've never heard of it. The things I've learned from these boards!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I've known two people IRL who've taken the mini pill, and both got pregnant while breastfeeding. When I was on kellymom a lot of women there got pregnant on the minipill too. I'm sure there are women it works for, but I wouldn't trust it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I took the minipill but I was terrified the whole time  Despite taking it at the same EXACT time every day (set an alarm) and never missing a dose or even being late with one I still spotted like crazy (and I never spotted with the regular pill ever).  I might have breastfed for longer than 15 months if I hadn't been so sure I was going to get pregnant again before I could afford more time off work.  One caveat to my paranoia: I've got a history of uber-fertility in the family.  My grandmother had "Irish triplets" and my youngest sister was a post-vasectomy "miracle" (apparently 2% of vasectomies don't stay cut!). 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Oh, and in terms of the non-baby making after a vaginal birth: don't get your hopes up too much.  Definitely go for it when you feel comfortable and all, but it doesn't matter how many keigels you do, it's not the same for a while.
    If you're breastfeeding, expect some excitement in that area too haha.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

I had no problems on the minipill.  I know quite a few people who have taken it without getting pregnant but I do know that there is a much higher rate of pregnancy for people taking it than the regular pill (per the insert).  It's really only recommended for people who are nursing for that reason.

DH and I have twins and are not planning to have any more kids.  We only ever wanted two anyway, but even if we had changed our minds, I have PCOS and needed to take clomid to get pregnant so we wouldn't want to risk multiples again.  I currently have a Mirena IUD and haven't had any issues with it.  We figure this will give us up to 5 years to decide "for sure" that we don't want any more kids and at the end of that 5 years, either DH can get snipped or, if we decide we wouldn't mind having another one, we can just see what happens.  At that point, I'll be almost 40, so we won't have too much longer to worry about BC anyway.

I would imagine you'll discuss BC with your OB at your 6 week post-partum appt. and s/he can explain your options while nursing and what to do when you stop nursing.  My OB doesn't recommend an IUD while nursing, but I know plenty of people whose OB's do. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

I did the mini pill last time and was fine - I actually went back on the reg. pill at 1 year and it took that to get my cycles back (I went to the doc like, "did you all grab out something else with the baby????").  Anyway, my doc this time is different and she said that I could go on the reg pill if I had confidence in my supply.  I was a major supply freak last time, so I think I'm going to do the mini pill and only breastfeeding for at least 6 months, then maybe go on the reg. pill.  My doc this time recommended the IUD, but I just can't really fathom that, truly seems like witchcraft or something to me (wires, strings, who thought that up?) but I've heard it works great for many women.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Two words, snip snip.  Just a thought.  Its really easy for the guy and virtually painless with a very simple recovery.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I agree with the snip snip camp if you're both SURE.  It can be reversed sometimes, but not always.

Whatever you do, don't use a diaphragm.  I was having issues with bc so I tried that.  It was like an X-rated sitcom.  When that proved to be more mess and hassle than it was worth, I ended up trying a mini-pill (Mircette), and that didn't give me the side effects that the regular pill did that got me to try a diaphragm to begin with.  Why that method of bc was ever in vogue I'll never know!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaylake. Show jaylake's posts

I am on my second month with the NuvaRing and I like it so far. It's great not having to remember to take the pill every day.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

My BFF uses the Nuvaring, and she really likes it. However, a week or so ago she had a little too much to drink, and a few days later realized she had lost it....yikes!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

I did the mini pill with DD and that worked out fine - I tried to take it the same time every night but it didn's always happen.  After that I went on the pill but for some reason it made me exhausted and feel crazy. 

This time I'm 99% sure that I am going to have my tubes tied - I'm a little nervous and thought about going the route of a new procedure call Essure but there doesn't seem to be much on it for after 5 years.  From my research the process is not invasive and has the same results but I am also a bit nervous about having small metal coils in me for life.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

I'm dreading making this decision after this pregancy.  I ended up deciding to slowly taper BFing right around my post-partum appointment and just used condoms until I finished with BFing and then went back on to my trusty decade-old friend Apri.  It's not a pill you can use BFing, so if I'm more successful this time with BFing, it won't be an immediate option.  Plus, shortly before trying for DS, and then the whole time I was back on Apri before trying for this pregnancy, I realized I was having clockwork migraines on the placebo week.  So, I'm pretty sure I won't be going back on it.... no need for those migraines with two little ones to watch!  I'm just really stuck on what to do... I don't think we are ready to commit to permanent measures, but trying a new type of pill, especially the mini pill at this stage of the game, seems daunting.  I don't want to deal with possibly even more moodiness, weight gain, spotting, and having to take something at the same time every day.  My OB was pretty insistent on using reliable BC after my first c-section to let the body heal for a good year, so I'm pretty sure she'll feel the same again and condoms for an extended period won't fly with her.  I'm completely uneducated on IUDs but in the back of my mind wondering if it is an option - anyone out there have one?  There's hormone and non-hormone, right?  Can you use either if BFing? This won't be a concern if the BFing doesn't work well again, but I'm being optimistic. Can you use an IUD after c-section(s)?  How long after a section before insertion?  Obviously I will discuss all this with my OB, but I ask so many paranoid pregnancy-related questions currently at my appointments, I'm not ready to start unleashing my post-pregnancy ruminations on her quite yet.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

I went on the Mirena IUD at about 7 weeks.  My OB was very encouraging of this and said everyone gets them, including herself! I've been "on" Mirena for 2 years now (almost exactly, actually!) and have literally had zero problems with it.  I know a few people who have had it and didn't like it, but the research shows that it is very popular overall.  Here is why I like it:
    -99.9% effective: as effective as sterilization
    -absolutely don't think about it now that its in- no maintenance.
    -most girls stop getting a period or it becomes very light. YEY! I honestly haven't used tampons since before I got pregnant, so over 3 years ago. I usually just need a liner for one day a month.
    -low hormone. Works 3 ways: low dose hormone directly to your uterus, a barrier for sperm, an irritant to your uterus so embryo cannot attach.
    -you can have it taken out anytime and they are good for 5 years. a friend of mine just had hers replaced after 5 years.
    -you can get pregnant as soon as it's removed

Keep in mind you do have to have already had a baby to have this (although some OBs will do it on non-moms as well).

Happy BC shopping! :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

We used good old fashioned condoms, I too knew people who had gotten pregnant on the mini-pill and didn't want to risk it since we were definitely not ready to have another baby so soon.  After this baby, we are going the permanent route since we are absolutely certain we're done having kids.  We are so certain that we are going to be doubly sure and having both my tubes tied and getting DH snipped.  An IUD isn't an option for me since I have a history of ectopic pregnancy, but I have heard nothing but good things about them.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ja-dee. Show ja-dee's posts

I will say don't mess with your body! My doctor told me I could get my tubes taken care of but even he recommended it is much easier for the guy to be snipped!!!
    I know someone who had Mirena and had it taken out last week because it was causing her really bad pains....I am iffy about those things anyway. I think ...snip snip snip is your best and safest way to go.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Techincally, just two snips...unless....

Sorry, couldnt' resist the joke - it was right there. Wink

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

For me, it was a no brainer that we would use condoms when I had to go of BC.  Why should I have to put various types of hormones in my body when he can throw on a piece of latex?  I will talk to my doctor about the options after delivery, but I'm pretty sure we'll go back to condoms. 
    Years ago, before we were even engaged, DH said, "I was thinking maybe after we have two kids, I'll get snipped."  I said, "You are my soulmate."  We'll see if he meant it!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Hope you ladies don't mind me resurrecting this old post but I had a question about the mini pill. For anyone that took it, did you have withdrawal bleeding after you stopped and when did it happen? I don't know what to expect since I just took it this one month but if it were the regular pill it would've most definitely started already. My doctor never mentioned anything about it during my visit and I can't find anything through google. Thanks!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

cicirose, I'm not sure I understand your question. The minipill I took had no "blanks." All 28 pills have hormones, then you start a new pack. I took it for about a year, while I was breastfeeding. I didn't get a period for about 10 months, but that might have been due to the breastfeeding. I started getting my period after that, and it seemed to be right around the time I started a new pack. Once my DD weaned at 14 months, I went back to the regular pill, so I don't have a lot of experience with periods on the minipill, so I can't really say if they were much different.

Sections
Shortcuts