Big father, little mother = baby too big for delivery?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Big father, little mother = baby too big for delivery?

Had a tough time writing a title for this post!  We're not TTC yet, but I've been learning slowly but surely from you lovely ladies, so thanks for any info.
    I'm wondering if my husband's being so much bigger than I am will increase the odds of needing a C-section.  He's 6'3" and around 220 and I'm 5'1" and around 120.  Are any of you in the same boat?  has your doctor mentioned monitoring the baby's size to make sure it's not too big for you to deliver?
    Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Re: Big father, little mother = baby too big for delivery?

I just posted about this in the October Updates thread yesterday but yes, I'm 34 weeks along and being monitored by weekly ultrasounds to make sure our baby isn't too big to deliver.  There isn't as much of a discrepancy in size between DH and I as there is between you and your husband, but my husband was 9.5 lbs at birth, and I was 6.6 so our son is obviously taking after his papa!  (At 34 weeks, they estimate that he's already about 6.5 lbs.) 

It's funny though... I measured right on track at every appointment up until a few weeks ago, when I was suddenly measuring 2 weeks bigger than I actually was.  Then at my appointment just yesterday, I measured 4 weeks bigger than I am (measuring 38 weeks - yikes!).  All of my weight is in my belly (I've actually lost a little weight in my face, arms, etc because for much of my pregnancy I didn't have much of an appetite) but oh yes, what a belly it is!

So, as I said, from here on out, I'll be having weekly ultrasounds to make sure our baby isn't getting too big.  My doctor said they won't really "do" anything unless it looks like he's going to be over 10 lbs (in which case they'd schedule a c-section) so I'm trying to resign myself to the scariness of vaginally delivering a 9+ lb baby (bring on the epidural, I say).  They did say if I deliver vaginally at full term, they'd monitor me closely to make sure there was no chance of the head getting out, but the shoulders getting stuck (which had never occurred to me).  A scary thought, but I feel in good hands at MGH, that they're going to keep a close eye on me and the baby, to make sure everything goes smoothly.

Good luck when you do decide to TTC!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Hi Fram,

My Dh and I are very similar to you and your husband. I am 4'10", 105lbs. and Dh is 6', 225-ish. When I was pregnant, I was literally all baby, only gained about 20-25 lbs total. Baby always measured small which the OBs were fine with given my size. DS weighed 7lbs 5oz at birth, one of the "bigger" babies that I met while at the hospital classes. My birth was fairly easy and I only had a very minor tear. Since then, DS has been growing like a weed--over 2" and close to 10 oz gained since birth (about 4 weeks), so seems to have dad's genes.

I guess the lesson is that you never know! :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks for sharing ladies!
    Kaydo, maybe your post was one of the things that got me wondering!  They also mentioned it on a show called Deliver Me.  Anyone watch that?  Well, hopefully it won't be an issue, but we'll see next year!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

My father is 6'2" and was around 300lbs when us kids were born and my mother is 5'2" and was around 110 lbs back then. The heaviest baby she had was 8lbs 8oz and only 1 c-section due to tranverse lie.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from culhasa. Show culhasa's posts

Every baby is different - I wouldn't worry now about things you can't change!!  :)  And they told me my son was HUGE and that I kept having ultrasounds...and then my tiny little peanut was born at 6lbs 15ozs.  So they aren't always right!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, Fram,

The biggest factor in birth weight is how much the mother eats/gains.  If she eats for two, she'll gain too much weight and so will the baby.  If she eats healthfully and in the amounts she actually needs and exercises under her doc's supervision, staying fit, birth weight should be manageable.

The size of the parents contributes to the "finished" size of the adult child, not the birth weight.

~kar

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

actually kar, I don't think that is always the case, I gained 60 lbs and my baby was 6lbs 14oz

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

I also dont agree with you Kar, I have gained 30 and they are saying my baby is on the larger side.  4 weeks ago she was estimated to be closer to 5 pounds so only time will tell how much she will weigh when she is due in 5 weeks, but I also dont look close to 9 months pregnant either.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Hey, Fram, The biggest factor in birth weight is how much the mother eats/gains.

Have to disagree in my own case.  At 35 weeks, I've only gained ~ 25 lbs and my baby is estimated at 6.5 lbs right now.  I've eaten well, and actually lost weight in some parts of my body because I found, in my second trimester, that I got full really easily.  ALL of my baby weight is in my belly.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Just reporting the results of a study that was just on the news a couple of weeks ago.  I don't have any acedotal evidence.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from move-on. Show move-on's posts

As others have said, it seems to be an inexact science. I had heard, for instance, that your baby will tend to be the same size as the babies your mother had. I have no idea if that's true, generally, though it was true in my case. For a friend who is over a foot shorter than DH (he's well over six feet), first baby was too big (but also nearly two weeks late), delivered by c-section, second baby fine, delivered by v-bac.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jag27. Show jag27's posts

When I got pregnant, was a little heavier and my husband is fairly thin and I was also a large baby (over 10 pounds), so I thought DD was going to be a big baby at birth.  I was also being monitored twice weekly as I had gestational diabetes, which you will definetely have a big baby if you have diabetes during your pregnancy.  The u/s tech kept gettting measurements of the baby at around 8-9 pounds, but DD ended up being 7 pounds 7 ounces at birth.  I also was very large when I was pregnant, due to the high fluid from the diabetes.  So, it is hard to say how big your baby will be at birth, but I hear that if the mother was large at birth, then their children will be big at birth.

If your baby is too big to delivery vaginally, they won't know that until you are in labor.  They can do an u/s to determine the size of the baby, but the measurements are not accurate because the fetus is too big and it is more of an estimate, so your baby can be a pound more or less.  If you have a hard time during labor that your baby won't pass through the birth canal, at that point they may determine a c-section delivery.

If you are concerned about having a large baby, I would stay healthy during your pregnancy so you don't develop GD, so stay away from the sugars and don't overload on the carbs!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

The u/s measurements can be off by a pound or more in either direction, so try not to stress too much about it. My DD was estimated at being 7 lbs at the last ultrasound before being born, but she was only 5 lb. 10.6 oz. She was 19 3/4 in. long though, so we joked about her being a supermodel baby. She quickly gained weight though, and has been tracking right at the 50th percentile for both height and weight. I was worried she would be big, because her father (my husband) was a big baby, as were his siblings, but it all worked out OK.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigirl627. Show Trigirl627's posts

On the other end of the spectrum, throughout my whole pregnancy they kept telling me that my DD was a peanut and that she'd probably be a 6 pounder...I went with no drugs and delivered an 8lb 10 oz baby, so I don't really think there's any way to really tell. I'm sure that if I had known she was that big, I wouldn't have been so gung ho about no drugs, though haha.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I would have to agree that it seems to be an inexact science!  I no longer give it much credence when someone says, If the baby keeps growing it will be 9 1/2 lbs by the time I deliver.  It seems like you never know so it's not worth worrying about it much!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

I saw the same article as Kar re: increased maternal weight gain = increased birth weight, but I agree -- it's inexact at best. 

I guess the takeaway is to do the best you can in terms of not "eating for two" and trying to control those influences to birthweight that you can then trying to let go of the rest. 

Your baby will be born, one way or the other!  Try not to let that weigh (ha) on your mind too much. 

Having said that, I was looking at pictures of DH when he was an infant/toddler and -- ouch.  He's got a BIG noggin.  He insists it's just thick hair, but I get pangs just looking at it ... and not, "awwww ... how cute!" pangs. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

Like the others, I think it's tough to say how big or little your baby will be at birth.  The only times I've heard of people having babies that were "too big to deliver vaginally" was when the baby had a large head (sorry GC!).  My sister had to have a c-section with my nephew because his head was quite large.  They kept telling her at all her ultrasounds that baby was measuring to be about 9.5 lbs.  He turned out to be 7.5 lbs, but with a large noggin and though she tried for 50 hours to deliver vaginally, she ended up with a c-section.  She also gained way less weight than me while pregnant (28 lbs to my 50 lbs), and I delivered a 6 lb 5 oz baby.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

There are other factors too (other than birth weight) regarding the ability to deliver vaginally.  Both of my kids (8lbs 3 oz and 7lbs 8 oz) were delivered with the assistance of vacuum because there they were having trouble getting past a point in my pelvis (also both had cord issues).  I'm 5' 8" and my husband is 6' 3".  My sister in law delivered a 9lb baby and she is a little under 5' tall (brother is 6').  It's all in the way you are built.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

In Response to Re: Big father, little mother = baby too big for delivery?:
    Having said that, I was looking at pictures of DH when he was an infant/toddler and -- ouch.  He's got a BIG noggin.  He insists it's just thick hair, but I get pangs just looking at it ... and not, "awwww ... how cute!" pangs. 
    Posted by GC1016

OMG GC, I had a huge head as a baby!!!  I never thought about that.  Well, it'll be many many months before I find out if I will pass that down!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

They kept telling her at all her ultrasounds that baby was measuring to be about 9.5 lbs.  He turned out to be 7.5 lbs, but with a large noggin and though she tried for 50 hours to deliver vaginally, she ended up with a c-section.

Seriously?  50 hours??

When they measured our little guy at the ultrasound last week, my doctor said the one good thing about him measuring big was that his head isn't what's big, it's his belly and, as she put it, "bellies are compressable".  Ha.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

GC, I was starting to doubt I'd heard that study on the news - thanks for letting me know I haven't totally lost my mind. :)

50 hours, my goodness.  You'd think they'd have assessed the problem and had her quit LONG before then.  2 straight days of labor and then major surgery...my, my, my.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

Yes, 50 hours, totally insane, but a lot of it was her.  She was very insistent on continuing to try to deliver vaginally, even and they let her continue until it became unsafe to do so any longer -- she spiked a fever at which point they went ahead with the c-section. She was devastated that she had to have a c-section, but I think she made it harder on herself by being in labor so long beforehand.  She had a repeat c-section with my niece and the recovery from that was much, much easier, most likely because she wasn't in labor for two days beforehand! 

Sections
Shortcuts