Bizarre pregnancy symptoms?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Bizarre pregnancy symptoms?

So ever since the very early days of my pregnancy I've had the strangest affliction.  I've never, ever had it before so I have to think it's related to the pregnancy, but I've also never really heard of anyone else having it.  It's restless legs!!  OMG, it's just so annoying!  Almost every night as it's time to go to sleep and I lay in bed I get this creepy-crawly feeling in my legs and just want to move around.  I have such a rough time falling asleep and I've also never had problems falling asleep before.  I keep forgetting to ask my doc about it but I'll make a note to next time I go.  I did google and read iron supplements might help. 

So that makes me wonder - has anyone else had totally unique and crazy symptoms?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AmieC. Show AmieC's posts

Re: Bizarre pregnancy symptoms?

Hey Trouble- restless legs is awful- I have it too, but it's related to the fact that I'm a little anemic. Have you had you iron levels tested? It's frequently one of the first symptoms of anemia... Mine has gotten better since I've upped my iron intake.

One of my friends thinks it's a 'fantom symptom' and I get so annoyed with her- she has no idea how annoying it is when you want to sleep but your legs feel llike they HAVE to move.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Hey Amie -

Thanks so much for the advice on iron!  Funnily enough, my doc did specifically mention my iron levels were good last time I saw him, but I'll ask him what he thinks of maybe taking supplements anyway.  I wonder if I'm borderline?

Have you always had it?  If so I feel for you.  It is beyond annoying and I'm hoping that it goes away after the pregnancy is done!  If it's any consolation I'm pretty sure my DH thinks I'm nuts too - same as your friend. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Hi Trouble - I'm not pregnant (but TTCing!) but have had "restless legs" for several years.  It's really annoying and I can't stand it when people say it's not real/all in your mind!!!  

for me it seems to have to do with sleeping on one side for too long.  So I'll get out of bed (or sometimes stay on top of the bed) and stretch my legs (e.g., yoga stretches or whatever) for a few minutes and then rub my legs from thigh to ankle.  That tends to work for me.  Sometimes if it's happened a few nights in a row, I'll take something like Motrin before bed.  I know you can't take Motrin when pregnant, so I guess you could try a Tylenlol?  Not sure.

But I empathize with you!  Good luck!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

B6 deficiency can also cause this (as well as iron).  Are you taking a prenatal vitamin?  That should have enough B-complex in it. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

A friend of mine had restless legs syndrome with both of her pregnancies and said it was just awful.  

Nothing worse than people thinking something is "in your mind" or you're exaggerating.  I'll never forget a friend of mine calling me one time to say, "Ok, so I threw out my back the other day and I'm calling to tell you I'm sorry because when you threw out your back a few years ago, I really thought you were exaggerating the pain but now I realize ohmygod it's the worst thing ever.  So I'm sorry."

Ha!

If the restless legs is related to anemia, btw, get those iron supplements NOW!!  I've been dealing with low iron/anemia in my third trimester and it has Kicked My A*s.  I wish I'd known my iron was low sooner so I could have started the supplements.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AmieC. Show AmieC's posts

I also second the B vitamin recommendation, since I've heard that could be related, but for me it always seems to be tied to my iron. I'm always borderline anemic, and I can actually tell when my levels have gotten too low when my legs start to get restless. I've upped my iron during the pregnancy and lately it hasn't been bad, but we'll see how it goes the rest of the way.

If you do start taking extra iron in addition to the prenatal, make sure you up your fiber and water content- too much iron can create other probelms.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Thanks all for your suggestions!  I have a doc appt. next week and now I can't wait to ask him about it.  I have to admit that when I first heard of it (before I experienced it) I thought it was total BS!

I do take vitamins, and they have Iron and B complex in them.  I looked up Iron supplements and I see they could cause constipation Undecided  I'm not sure if I could possibly be any more constipated than I already am from this baby sitting on my intestines or whatever it's doing!

Amie/Kaydo: do you take fiber supplements too or just eat lots of fruits and veggies?  Of course I could eat more red meat and eggs for Iron but those are on the banned list for constipation!  Oy vey!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Amie/Kaydo: do you take fiber supplements too or just eat lots of fruits and veggies?  Of course I could eat more red meat and eggs for Iron but those are on the banned list for constipation!  Oy vey!
    Posted by Trouble30

I take an iron supplement twice a day, and always take 2 stool softeners with it.  I'm not taking any fiber supplements; the stool softeners seem to do the trick.  (I also increased my intake of red meat and green veggies, bought a cast iron pan to cook in, etc.)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AmieC. Show AmieC's posts

In Response to Re: Bizarre pregnancy symptoms?:
    Posted by Trouble30

I take two iron supplements a day now, plus my prenatal. I don't take any fiber or stool supplements, but I do eat a lot of vegetables and fruits (as my Mom would say, fruits that begin with 'P' help get things going). Another thing to think of is avoiding taking your iron/prenatal supplements with things that will interfere with the iron absorption- calcium, eggs, soda, tea, coffee, spinach, etc. Vitamin C enhances absorption of iron, so taking them with iron is supposed to help. Of course, you need to get your calcium, so it becomes a balancing act of eating (at least for me) to try to make sure I got everything with the timing right.

This gives a little summary:
    http://www.healthcastle.com/iron.shtml

Sections
Shortcuts