Books for dad

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Books for dad

Ok, I did a search to see if there was a thread for this, but got impatient searching after a few minutes..

What have been your favorite books for an expectant dad?  I've read a bunch of reviews on amazon, but they all get such mixed reviews it's hard to determine what to buy.

What I'm looking for is a book that is:

- not for a "man's man" - my husband doesn't play golf, doesn't drink much, would rather spend a night home with me watching a movie than going out anywhere, but does love all sports

- not for a man who has a 9-5 (or more) desk job - my husband works from home and he and I will likely be doing equal amounts of childcare

- not for a man whose wife is having a horrific pregnancy - mine has been pretty tame and I don't want one of those books that goes on and on about what a horrible harpy the wife is during pregnancy

- helpful during pregnancy and also during delivery and maybe even when the baby first comes home.  My husband has never changed a diaper.

- short.  My husband is not a huge reader and is more likely to pick up a book that is not 500 pages long.

- humorous without being condescending of either the husband or wife.

Any recommendations?  Does such a book exist??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Re: Books for dad

Someone here recommended "Be Prepared: A Book for Dads" (or something very close to that). I bought it and loved it, DH and I read it at night and laugh and laugh. It's not too in depth, it's from a guys point of view and it's easy to find the info you need. It might be 200 pages, but it includes lots of funny, kitchy diagrams and illustrations. 

I highly recommend.

http://www.amazon.com/Be-Prepared-Practical-Handbook-Dads/dp/0743251547/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1276711170&sr=8-1

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Antimony79. Show Antimony79's posts

I got DH a book called "Dad's Pregnant Too".  DH is NOT a book reader so I was looking for something that was a simple read with chapters well defined so he could just look through certain chapters.  I looked through it a little bit and I thought it was pretty good outlining what we are going through as well as developmental stages of the baby (although not super in depth).  I believe it does have chapters for labor, and post partum, but I haven't glanced through any of those.  DH has picked it up on a couple occassions and read it and I do think it is helpful and he did enjoy the humor of the book because it was written by a man, but it was not condesending to either wife or husband.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecod18. Show capecod18's posts

Check out the Expenctant Father.  http://www.amazon.com/Expectant-Father-Advice-Dads-Be/dp/0789205386/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276720635&sr=8-2

Not to be graphic but I left this booko in the bathroom for my husband to read and he actually read it.  He would come out with these facts every once in a while when I was pregnant so I knew he was reading it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

My DH likes the Expectant Father, and he read and enjoyed Happiest Baby on the Block -- I think he liked the focus on "Things to do to calm howling infant" focus rather than, "Let's talk about your feelings, sir."  He also enjoyed reading Baby Bargains -- again, more task-oriented.  Be careful with this, though, as two BB disciples under the same roof can drive each other crazy.   

I just bought him a book about Fatherhood by Michael Lewis (author of Moneyball).  I can't vouch for it yet, though, other than Michael Lewis is an amazing writer and super-cool so this HAS to be good. 

And I think that those books exist, but maybe not in those exact parameters.  The books are written for the majority/stereotype male.  Same as the pregnancy books for us. 

I have yet to find a pregnancy book that I put down and say YES, this spoke to me.  This is SO ME.  It's more like, OK, that's fine; that's true; that's funny; huh, haven't had that; that's BS; you're an idiot; well, that's kind of true, and pretty funny; OK, I'm putting this down now.  Lather, rinse, repeat with next book. 

I forget what book it was (we had a couple of duds) but DH would periodically announce things like, "I am supposed to massage your back now," and proceed to massage, which was nice, or, "Umm, you're OK with going back to work, right?  Because I am supposed to be assuming you won't want to and saving accordingly," or, "Did you drink enough water?  If you don't drink enough water, you will become tired and emotional," so I had to take that book away.  The massaging wasn't worth the money-worried DH or the forced hydration. 

That's my long way of saying: skim it first.  You don't want to open Pandora's Box. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I am a huge fan of "Be Prepared" that ML mentioned, and I think I may have been the one singing its praises before.
    It is not about pregnancy or delivery -- all after the baby is born.  It's also not like a comprehensive reference guide that you would go to in order to use the index... but you only need one of those (at most) per household!
    It's exactly like ML said -- we can read a few pages together at night and laugh, and often either get some useful piece of information, or else it just makes us feel better somehow.
    It was a gift to my husband from a friend of ours who is already a dad, so there are others out there who enjoyed it, too!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

I can also vouch for The Expectant Father.  I gave it to my DH for Christmas and he liked it.  (I actually bought the set there's one about infancy and the toddler years).  He appreciated the fact that it explained what I may be going through month by month so he had some reference point.  I also have Happiest Baby on the Block but haven't read it yet. 

Perhaps you might want to consider classes instead of a book.  It sounds like if you take a childbirth class plus a class on bringing home baby that it would have all the information that you're husband would need (and it would be gender neutral since its geared towards the couple). 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

What I did was point out some good chapters in my MAYO pregnancy book and gave them to DH to read.  I then got "My Boys Can Swim" by Ian Davis.  It is a very humerous and practical look on what is going on with the expectant mom and what odd behaviors to expect.  It is an enjoyable read and doesn't go into technical details but it talks more about upcoming fatherhood, how to be a supportive partner and why your wife is now "primping for her OB like she was going to the White House Corrispondent's Dinner."

My husbadn got a kick out of it and thought it was pretty funny.  He also understood that it was a humerous book.  It can be a tiny bit condecsending as any instructional book can be but it makes everything funny so you don't get offended.

I read it too and thought it was dead-on for lots of the odd behaviors I was going through (spending $$$ on maternity clothes and shaving only for my OB!) and made me laugh out loud on lots of occations. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Thanks, these are very helpful!  DH has read a bit of Happiest Baby, but otherwise relies on me to pass along info (then I never know what he's actually taking in).  He's finishing up a book now (writing it, that is) and I want to have a baby book all ready for him for when his time is freed up!  I would like him to have some idea of what to expect especially in the 3rd trimester, then during delivery.  I also would like him to be an advocate for me and the baby in the hospital just in case I'm not able to do that.

We will be taking classes, but probably not until a bit later down the line.  That, indeed, may drive things home for him a bit more...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

There are tips, like GC says, about "Now would be a good time to do the laundry for her," so in that sense it could be a little gender swayed, but it is comical not condescending.  

You know, DH has abruptly become REALLY good about laundry and the loading/emptying the dishwasher.  He was always good with stuff like that, but now it's kind of nuts.  I will have to thumb through his books and see if that's the culprit. 

I wonder if he'd notice some edits in my own handwriting ... "You could help her with the laundry [and remember that putting laundry away can be super-fun, too!]"  "Emptying the dishwasher may become challenging as her belly expands [Hey, wouldn't getting those cabinet organizers I, uh, she mentioned be a good idea?  Reaching the cr*p in the back is virtually impossible for m ... her.]"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I ended up at B&N for a couple of hours looking at their dad books (of which there were very few).

I got "She's Having a Baby - I'm Having a Breakdown" which, despite it's title, was not at all about me having a breakdown for 9 months (there seem to be a lot of dad books that talk about what a raving b!tch/idiot the wife will be), but instead gives some helpful, realistic tips about pregnancy, labor, delivery, and right after.  I personally like this one because it tells him to do all sorts of nice things for me. :)

I also got "The Guy's Guide to Surviving Pregnancy, Childbirth and the First Year of Fatherhood."  Again, seems to have helpful, non-intimidating (this is important) tips, as well as being very sweet.

The other thing I bought was "I Love My Daddy" by Sebastian Braun - it's a children's picture book.  It's so sweet, I got all teary in the store.  But I decided to hold that one aside until the baby is actually born, then I'll give it to him "from the baby".

Thanks for your help! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrsBlahdidah. Show MrsBlahdidah's posts

My mom bought my husband a book called, "My Boys Can Swim".  He really enjoyed it. I read it too.  Very quick and easy read.  Entertaining and truthful.  Proabaly not sufficient for any after baby arrives info, as it really only deals with the pregnancy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonbikemessenger. Show bostonbikemessenger's posts

I purcahsed myself the Expectant Father book a few people recommended as soon as I found out my wife was pregnant. I also loved it so much I bought a copy for my friend and for my brother in law. Its a great book and even gives a bunch of info our wives didnt learn from What to Expecting When Expecting. I highly recommend it for all men who are first time dads. It breaks down each month by what is your baby doing/feeling what is your partner doing/feeling, how are you doing/feeling and goes over inporant things like what to ask your Dr., how to prepare finanacially, how to get more involved, etc etc.