Breast pump plans?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3855648. Show user_3855648's posts

Re: Breast pump plans?

Breast milk does not go through the tubing, only air does unless there is some kind of backup which is not usual. Isis Maternity carries all the spare parts, few places do. You don't have to wait to get it online. This was a God send, especially for the membranes which went down the drain the first time I washed them. They told me the best idea was to bring my pump in so they could fit it with replacement parts. They even checked my borrowed pump for suction!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bean78. Show bean78's posts

My son is three so its been a while since I pumped but I have the pump-in-style (that i got for free through BCBS under the durable medical equipment clause due to latching issues) and in the past have offered it to others...I was very crazed about keeping it clean but I also noticed that Target carried replacement tubing and cups which I would replace even with a second child of my own. Just my 2 cents.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from leesee1981. Show leesee1981's posts

Kaydo, just buy the pump.  I bought my medela pump ($379) a month before my due date.  As far as I'm concerned it's worth the money no matter what.  If you buy the pump, you'll be more likely to breastfeed.  Even if you or your baby have trouble breastfeeding, you'll be more likely to put in more time and effort if you've just put $300 towards it. 

Another reason to just buy it is because you are going to (and probably already have) spend so much money on your baby that an extra $300 is not going to make that big of a difference.

The final reason to buy it is because it's better to spend $300 on a pump for healthy food for your baby than to spend hundreds or even thousands on that fake formula crap. 

Babies aren't cheap, and this is one of the best products you can buy both for you and your child.  :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Well, in the end, I decided to go ahead and buy a pump a few weeks ago (new, unused, sealed in the box, on Craig's List for $150) and I'm really glad I did.  My son was having some trouble with latching in the hospital, I used their pump while there, and was able to come home and switch right over to my own pump.  Very glad I had it here already and didn't need to go searching for one.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from deysan123. Show deysan123's posts

I waited until I had my son and ended up getting an rx for a medela pump in style in the hospital.  The insurance covered it and the hospital got it for me.  The lactation consultants showed me how to use it and were there to help.  I think you wait and get in the hospital.  Either way the $280 is well worth it especially compared to the price of formula.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

I too had mine BCBS MA with a Rx from my doc, but I must admit that I didn't use it until my daughter was about 6-7 weeks old.  BF was a challenge, to be sure, but we were fortunate to have it down by the time we left the hospital.  I then pumped 3x per day at work from 3 months to 7.5 months before it just became too much in an 8 hour day.

BF is hard, no doubt about it, but so are a lot of things about having kids :)  Hang in there, and congratulations!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

I should probably post a follow-up to this thread, actually, that I'm DOUBLY glad I bought my pump on Craig's List (new, unused, but for way less than it would have been new) because I only used it for about 2 weeks before stopping breastfeeding entirely (DS had trouble latching, I wasn't producing enough milk, and the whole experience was a nightmare) so yeah... yet another reason not to shell out for an expensive one before the baby comes... save your money for all the formula you'll have to buy if breastfeeding doesn't work for you!  :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

So after all that, what are you going to do with the pump you bought?  Re-craigslist it?  Keep it for potential future use (i.e future children, not b/c you wake up one day and say, "hey, I miss that, let's see what happens").

I'm glad that you're feeling good about your decision to switch to formula.  It's really so important that you make the decision that works best for you, b/c ultimately, THAT is what's best for baby.  There is SO MUCH pressure on women to breastfeed, and it's really just not the right decision for everyone for any number of reasons.   I'm in the process of "weaning" from the pump (the rental has to go back in March) and am down to 3 pumps a day.  I need to be down to 1 or 0 by the time it has to go back.  Work has pumps in "nursing mother's lounges," so if I'm not dried up by then, I can at least finish the process on work time ;)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hot-tomato. Show hot-tomato's posts

I had a Medela pump in style and used it for two kids and worked very well and I felt I got my money's worth for it.

Just a point of interest, related to a couple of posts at the beginning of this thread: the milk doesn't go THROUGH the tube. You pump directly into the cup, which deposits into the bottle through the filter. Milk may get into the tube if there is a problem with your suction, but it doesn't go through the tube.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

I just feel a need to reiterate for any one joining this thread late and not reading through all the posts that it is not recommended to purchase or borrow a USED breast pump (with the exception of hospital grade).  Both the FDA and the La Leche League clearly state this on this sites. Even though the milk does not enter the tubing, there are milk particulates that do travel through the system and they can contaminiate your milk with the previous user's old milk particles.

From http://www.llli.org//llleaderweb/LV/LVJunJul04p54.html

[quote]Most purchase pumps, for example Medela’s Pump In Styles, DoubleEase, and MiniElectric, are “open systems.” This means that the pump motor is “open” to contact with the mother’s milk particles. In a Pump In Style, for example, the breastshield (the part held against the breast) is open to the tubing that attaches to the back of the shield, which is also open to the diaphragm on the pump motor that creates the suction and release. This means that an invisible mist of milk particles can travel from the shield into the tubing and back onto the pump diaphragm. The diaphragm cannot be removed or sterilized, so it cannot be cleaned well enough between mothers to insure safety. When there are milk particles on the pump diaphragm, even with a brand new set of bottles, tubing and breastshields, with every suction and release another mother’s milk particles will be blown into your milk. Even if milk particles are not visible, they can still be there. (One sure sign is mold growing in the tubing, which sometimes happens with normal use.)[/quote]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

>>So after all that, what are you going to do with the pump you bought?  Re-craigslist it?  Keep it for potential future use (i.e future children, not b/c you wake up one day and say, "hey, I miss that, let's see what happens").<<

Ha!  :)  I'm going to keep it, in case we decide to have another baby down the line. 

And I agree - making the decision to stop breastfeeding was very, very hard (both personally, as a mother, and in the face of SO much pressure to continue) but it was absolutely the right thing for us.  Interestingly, I went to my 6 week postpartum appointment yesterday, and my OB told me she had a very similar experience herself.  Breastfeeding wasn't going well (same problems as me - her son wasn't latching and she wasn't producing much milk) and it took her own OB (who had been her mentor when she was a resident) to assure her it was ok to stop breastfeeding.  She said, "I kept thinking 'This is my job, and I'm always telling people how great breastfeeding is, I have to do this'."  Goes to show just how much pressure there is.  But, like me, she knows it was the right decision for her, for her son, for her sanity, etc.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from culhasa. Show culhasa's posts

Hi Kaydo - just to give you some hope....my first son was a nightmare about breastfeeding...he would latch and then immediately fall asleep.  We had to take all his clothes off, etc to wake and then would put him back and he would fall back to sleep...after a week of this (and pumping in the hospital), I exclusively pumped for 6 weeks and then was just too tired to continue.  But...low and behold my 2nd son latched immediately and I breastfed him for 6- 7 months...so there is hope.  (Using the pump as well when I went back to work and getting him used to bottles.) 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from clynn5683. Show clynn5683's posts

Check with your health insurance provider to see if they cover breast pumps.  Many insurance companys do and all you have to do is get a prescription from your ob.  :)

Sections
Shortcuts