Breast pump plans?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

Re: Breast pump plans?

My girlfriend is lending me hers.   She only used it for a week or so.  From what I understand you can get a prescription from a doctor and you can buy one through your insurance at a significant cost savings.  I have known several people that have done this.  

I am not sure I would want to get one on Craigslist.  I know you change all the tubing, but there is still something about it. 

Maybe rent one for a week or so and see if it works out and then talk to your Dr. about a prescription and go from there. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

Kaydo my cousin gave me her Medela Pump, I went to babies r us this past weekend to buy the new accesories, but they do not sell the tubing which I would assume would be the most essential thing to change since that is where the milk comes thru.  I am hoping maybe the hospital carries this tubing and we can buy it.  Just thought you would be interested in knowing that in case you didnt.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

I definitely wouldn't buy one on Craigslist.  The Medela Pump In Style has some internal part that can't be removed or replaced (and therefore can't be sterilized), so you'd run the risk of cross-contamination with a used pump.  I'd feel comfortable getting one from a friend who I knew didn't use it much, but not from a complete stranger.

I got a prescription for mine and the insurance covered it.  Generally, your ob-gyn/midwife will write you a prescription if you are going to be separated from your baby for any length of time (ie. you will be going back to work) or if there are other issues like poor latch, etc.  Perhaps you could check and see if that's an option for you?

If not, I would probably rent one and see how it goes and then decide.

JuneBride -  you can buy replacement tubing on the medela website (if your pump is a medela pump):  www.medela.com. I had to get replacement tubing because one of my tubes got a hole in it.

Good luck.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

kaydo - we got the one you wanted from a friend of mine who doesn't need it anymore. She got hers for free or almost free with a doctor's prescription. She kept the tubing and the cup-things. When we were at BRU this weekend, they said they don't carry the tubing, but thought we could get it from Medela directly. I'd try to rent one and then see how it goes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigirl627. Show Trigirl627's posts

I have one that I literally used for less than a week until I had to switch to formula due to a blood clot...the blood thinners pass through breast milk. $75 and it's yours, or anyone else who might want it. It's pretty much brand new and DH is psycho about cleaning/sterilizing. Let me know if you are interested.

Off to DD's 1 month check-up!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I have an Ameda Purely Yours pump, I got it off Amazon. It sells for about $200. The milk doesn't go into the tubing at all, (they call it their hygeni-kit collection system, or some such nonsense). I've used mine for about 10 months, and it is still working great. I chose it ove the Medela because it seemed easier to clean (no milk in the tubing means not having to clean/dry tubing every single time you use it).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

I didn't know about the prescription/insurance idea... can you use it to buy whatever model you want?  I'll definitely call Harvard Pilgrim and see.  (I was disappointed they didn't cover any of our baby classes, but who knows?)  Thanks!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

It might depend on your plan through HPHC they paid for mine.  At least I think they did.  At UMass every breast feeding mother is given a Medela Pump In Style (doesn't even matter if it is not your first child).  I was told it is charged to the insurance. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

Oh yes, if your insurance won't pay for it then I would wait to buy it until after the baby is born.  If the box is open it can't be returned.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

I got mine through insurance as well - I had called in advance to check and we got a certain amount of $$ toward one - it covered the whole thing.  I went to South Shore Hospital and their practice is to call insurance for every patient who wants a pump.  I did not need to get a prescription or anything, simply walked out with a brand new pump.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ElmiraGulch. Show ElmiraGulch's posts

My Medela was also covered by insurance.  If you get an electric pump, I recommend that you also get a hand pump for those times when electricity is not accessible (airplanes, offices, conferences, agricultural faires) or the pump noise will be a problem (child finally sleeping!) and you are engorged.  It's a little more labor-intensive than an electric but, for me, far better than hand expressing. 

I had an Avent hand pump and it worked terrific for me. It was small, lightweight, and I could rip the Avent completely into pieces that could be washed.  If I was doing it all over, I might not even bother with the Medela. 

(FWIW, I pumped exclusively for my child due to a problem we had.)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

In Response to Breast pump plans?:
    [QUOTE]So, we registered for the Medela Pump in Style Breast Pump but no one purchased it (gee, can't imagine why not, with its $280 price tag... $360 in Canada!) so now I'm trying to decide what to do: 1) Shell out the $280 for a new one (but worry if I have trouble breastfeeding and/or pumping it'll be a big waste of money) 2) Buy a used one on Craig's List for around $100 (there are tonnes of them) 3) Rent a hospital one after the baby's born, see how it goes, and then worry about buying one What's everyone else doing (and how did you make the decision)?
    Posted by kaydo[/QUOTE]

Hi Kaydo,

I feel like I'm the pumping expert, so I will share what I know from my experience.

I pump almost exclusively for my twins (they each get one bottle of formula/day usually) and have been doing so for over 5 months now.  My insurance covers 80% of the rental cost of a hospital-grade double-electric pump for 10 months.  The total rental cost before insurance is about $70/month I THINK.  If you rent through Cambridge Medical Supply, they have a deal where you can start out with a hospital grade pump and then they'll put the money you paid for the rental toward the purchase of a Pump in Style when you are ready (i.e. you need a pump you can carry back and forth to work).  Definitely check into what your insurance will cover and under what conditions.  i HIGHLY recommend waiting until AFTER the baby is born to make any decision about a pump, because you don't know what you'll need until you know if baby has any problems latching, etc.

I work at one of the research hospitals in the area and they have several "nursing mother's lounges" which are equipped with Medela Symphony pumps.  I spoke with one of the lactation consultants here before the babies were born to find out what she recommended pump-wise and she said that hands-down rent a hospital-grade double-electric because it's much more efficient than any of the other pumps out there.  And, of course, since the hospital has the Symphony pumps, she suggested that one so that I wouldn't have to buy a kit just for work.  So that's what I did.  (FWIW, the hospital-grade pumps don't have any parts that touch the milk directly including the tubing.)

Before the babies were born, I was planning to nurse them and pump in order to build a supply for returning to work.  I delivered them at 37 1/2 weeks and they had a very hard time latching.  On top of that, because I had a c-section, my milk took 4 days to come in.  In my case, I THINK "multiple gestation" was the reason for the pump prescription, but it could've been prematurity or failure to latch, but I never actually saw it, so I'm not sure.  I had ALOT of problems with nursing and still didn't have it down by the time we left the hospital.  I really wanted to nurse them, but after a very frustrating week or two (it's all a blur, now) and a visit to the lactation consultant, I decided that the best thing to do for my mental health and for my babies' nutrition was to switch over to pumping.  The LC encouraged me to keep trying to nurse, saying they'd "get" it one day, but I just couldn't do it any more.  Nursing was a source of frustration for everyone involved and none of that precious bonding that was supposed to happen was taking place.  I'm not saying this to discourage you or worry you about being able to nurse, just to let you know that despite the best intentions, you may end up using a pump much more than you ever planned to. 

I've been pumping ever since I made the decision to do so, and since we have the nursing lounges at work, I still have the Symphony rental at home.  The Pump in Style and the Ameda version of it are both very good pumps and ALOT of people use them and love them.  They're portable and efficient, but they aren't as efficient as the hospital-grade pumps.  Lots of mothers of multiples end up "just" pumping, and ones who switch to a non-hospital-grade pump when they go back to work complain that it's just not as good and it takes longer.

SO...my recommendation is to wait until the baby is born and see how things are going in the hospital with the nursing.  Talk to the LC at the hospital to see what she recommends for YOUR SPECIFIC situation and go from there.  I was a little panicked at the prospect of waiting until after the kids were born to get a pump, but the reality is that if you're renting, you can call the medical supply co. from the hospital and they will bring it to you.  If you decide to buy a Pump in Style or similar, you can always rent a hospital pump until you're able to get out to the store to buy the Pump in Style or just order it online once you get home.

I personally would not use someone else's pump (hospital-grade ones are different b/c no milk touches the inner workings).  It's just not sanitary.  I KNOW people do it all the time, and I'm sure in practice it's fine, but I just don't think I would do it.  Of course, I'm speaking from the point of having my pump mostly covered by insurance AND have a workplace that provides pumps in special rooms designated for the use of nursing mothers, SO...I cannot speak from the (unfortunately) "normal" situation of most nursing mothers.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions about pumping--before or after the baby is born.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Daisy - Thank you!  I don't know where you find the time to be so thorough, while also working & taking care of twins, but I sure appreciate it!  :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Kaydo,  I would suggest calling around to your insurance and doctor, hospital lactation consultant, etc., first to see if there's a chance of getting a free one.  My insurance did not cover it unfortunately.  I would suggest the renting one first option.  I have a $280 medela that I did use daily, but only nursed for about 8-10 weeks.  That's not what I envisioned when I bought that particular model - I thought I would end up pumping multiple times per day at work for several months.  Do I regret it?  No, I liked that pump, it worked well and I will try things again when I have another one.  But, I could have saved a ton of money renting a pump and making sure the BFing worked for us.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from smileyd. Show smileyd's posts

If you choose to buy a pump, you don't need to get it from the major retailers.  I searched online and got a brand new pump (Medela Pump In Style) for almost half of what the major retailers sell it for.  I think I got it from BestBuyBaby.com.  The online retailers cannot post their prices, but they sell them for cheaper.  

I have different advice from most of the mothers on here, so I'll share my story.  My daughter latched on right away and was a super feeder, my milk came in and it all worked out well.  I started pumping when she was 3 weeks old to build up a stock pile for returning to work.  I pumped at night just before I went to bed, so that I didn't wake up an hour later in a pool of milk (which did happen once).  

When I went back to work, I pumped two times a day and fed her when I was with her.  She went straight from breast milk to cow's milk at 13 months.  I never used a hospital grade pump, and only a few times needed to use a hand pump (I used the one that came with the Pump In Style - it was very awkward, but worked).  If I didn't have an outlet, I used the battery pack that came with the Pump In Style (in airports, my car, public restrooms, etc).  

Just another perspective, btu also a remionder that you can find new, original pumps out there for cheaper than you think. 

Also, the milk never touches the tubing, only air to create suction.  It's the bottle ends that you need to worry about.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

In Response to Re: Breast pump plans?:
    [QUOTE]Daisy - Thank you!  I don't know where you find the time to be so thorough, while also working & taking care of twins, but I sure appreciate it!  :)
    Posted by kaydo[/QUOTE]

Let's just say that sometimes other areas of my life "suffer" in order to ramble on and on about something :)  It often seems to happen while at work (blush!).

Seriously, good luck and don't worry.  Everything will fall into place when it needs to.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

As others have stated you really shouldn't purchase a used pump.  La Leche League has info on why at http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVJunJul04p54.html#at

In my situation I did not purchase a pump in advance of my son's birth.  One reason was that I was worried nursing wouldn't work out and I would waste all that money. My son ended up having a problem with tongue tie which resulted in some BFing problems so my lactation consultant suggested pumping to help increase my supply between feeding sessions.  I have the Medela PIS that I bought at the hospital for around $230. I have to say that I think the pump saved my breastfeeding relationship.  Once I had spent the money I was determined that I was going to make it work, so I guess I would say if BFing is very important to you spending the money before birth might up your committment level.  I was sooooo tempted to quit around 3-4 weeks post partum. I've now been pumping successfully at work for over 5 months and BFing when we're at home. I also recommend getting a cheap hand pump.  The PIS is a little unwieldy to carry back and forth from work on the T so I keep it in my office and hand pump when needed on nights or weekends.

I second the suggestion to look around online too...you can often find brand new sealed in box pumps selling cheaper on ebay or other online retailers.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Called Harvard Pilgrim... as of this summer, the only way they cover breast pumps is if the baby has to be separated from me (ie. put in the NICU) or if he has a congenital anomaly and can't latch (cleft palate, etc).  Bummer. 

https://www.harvardpilgrim.org/portal/page?_pageid=253,271349&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

That stinks Kaydo.  I think when I got mine work was considered a separation. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Yeah, I specifically asked if going back to work would be considered separation and they said no.

I have to say, for all the praise Harvard Pilgrim gets for being the best health insurance provider in the country, they've been very tight with ANY maternity benefits.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lilmomma2be. Show lilmomma2be's posts

The insurance companies have JUST gotten a lot stricter with the pump payouts. I have Tufts and they have just implemented the same policy - no pumps unless you are seperated for medical reasons. My doctor said it was because so many people were getting the pumps and then selling them on ebay.

Thanks for starting this thread - I'm at 35 weeks and was debating about the pump. Now I'm going to wait until this little guy is born and go from there. Thanks for all the helpful advice ladies!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

[QUOTE]My doctor said it was because so many people were getting the pumps and then selling them on ebay.[/QUOTE]

Wow, talk about ruining it for the rest of us!  That's crummy.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Hi Kaydo
    You may still want to run this by your hospital's LC just b/c it may depend on how strictly they define the "latch" problem.  You may still get one covered if there is any BF difficulty whatsoever.  The LCs often try to make it work.  Unfortunately, my insurance was a real stinker, even though my son was in the NICU for a bit, they'd only pay for the rental of one while we were seperated and not at all for the purchase of one. 
    If you can't get it covered, I go with my original suggestion of renting one for the first few weeks just to make sure the BFing "sticks" if you are concerned about wasting money on a pump that you may end up not needing.  As I said previously, I did buy one and didn't use it nearly as long as I anticipated but I am still glad I had it, however renting for the same period of time would have been a lot cheaper. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

I also wanted to put my two cents in.  I've been pumping for seven months now. 

A few things, breast milk never goes through the tubing either for hospital or regular grade pumps.  That said, my LC said that milk can still get into the regular grade pumps though usually on a microsopic level.  Your LC can also help smooth the way with difficult insurance companies.

Assess your pumping needs AFTER you have the baby and get some referrals for a lacation consultant before you go to the hospital.  I bought a Medela pump in style and then ended up renting anyway as I needed the big pump action to get my supply going after having to use a nypple shield.  And yes, I lug the Symphony around with me everywhere and bought a car adaptor for the car!!  You know your committed (to the insane asylum?) when you pump and drive at the same time!!!

My insurance co (blue cross blue shield of Utah) wouldn't cover a hospital pump (or all the related stuff you need for it like membranes, bottles and breast shields).  They would only cover a regular one.

Good luck.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from smileyd. Show smileyd's posts

I'm not going to say that you should be committed to an insane asylum for having the car adapter, as that saved my life when there sometimes was nowhere to go to pump.  But, you should be committed to an insane asylum for driving while pumping.  Even with a hands free bra, that is just TOO dangerous.  I'm not one to start attacks on here, but that not only puts your life at danger, but other innocent people on the road as well.  Use your head, and spend the ten extra minutes in a parking lot, then drive to where you need to be.  Nothing is that important.