Breech Baby

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladyboston. Show ladyboston's posts

Breech Baby

Hello All! I hope everyone is doing well and is enjoying the cooler weather, I know I am! I would be happy not to see a 90 degree day again until next summer!!!
    I have a question and I am hoping someone on the board can help me- I am 33 weeks and my baby is and has been breech for every ultrasound! ( I was high risk in the begining due to family history so I have to get ultrasounds every month) I am told that I shouldnt be concerned until 38 weeks but I do not want a C Section!!!!
    Has anyone had a breech baby successfully turn around before the 38th week and before a section c section was scheduled???
    I have been doing some research online and everything is kind of "worked for me" or "didnt work for me" and obviously I take everything I read online with a grain of salt.
    Just hoping that I do not have to schedule a c section and this baby will turn around on its own!!!
    Any advice??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Breech Baby

I don't have experience with this, but you can schedule it just in case and then cancel your c-section if the baby turns before then.  Better to have it scheduled than need an emergency spot.

GL!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krystabel. Show Krystabel's posts

Hi LadyB - This came up in teh August Pregnancy thread too - These were my comments to someone else:

Hi Kiwi - Several people have recommended this website for baby positioning:  http://spinningbabies.com/

There are exercises you can do to encourage the baby in to the right position for birth using gravity in your favor. like:

The good news in once the baby is in the right position these exercises won't turn him/her the wrong way.  Good luck!!

I am 37 1/2 weeks and my baby is head down, but I do some of these excercises just to make sure he/she stays that way and hopefully to get him/her facing my back and to prepare for labor. 

Also, they can try to do an external Version (sp?) to turn the baby, although I think they don't do that until much later like 38 weeks because there is a high likelyhood it could trigger labor early... I am not sure what the success rate is.

There is also research that says Acupuncture is pretty effective as well... if you google acupuncture and breech baby - you shoudl find some info that can help you.

HTH

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

I had twins, so my situation was different.  DS was head down and in position to pop out whenever he was ready.  DD was breech and seemed perfectly content to stay that way.  Because it was a twin pregnancy, my OB recommended against the external version.  He explained why those weren't generally done in my situation, but I don't remember all of the details--it was directly related to the twin pregnancy, though.  I didn't really know about the acupuncture option, so it didn't occur to me to go that route.

I DID NOT want a C-Section.  I was very clear about that with my OB and pretty much refused to discuss it with him.  He did tell me that he may be willing to do a breech delivery since she would be the 2nd to come out anyway and was smaller than DS, but he wasn't crazy about the idea.  AND, if he wasn't the one who was "on" when I delivered, very few other OBs would agree to a breech delivery.  By the time I accepted that DD was unlikely to turn, I was probably 35 or 36 weeks.  At that point, I asked my OB some "what if" questions and asked him at what point we'd need to schedule a C-Section if I was willing to go that route.  He told me that it was too late to schedule one b/c all the slots were booked up for the next couple of months and there was a wait-list and that it didn't really matter anyway.  He said that "emergency" C-Sections get priority over the scheduled ones anyway, and it wasn't like if I showed up needing a C-Section that they'd turn me away.

So, ultimately, we never scheduled one.  I ended up with pre-eclampsia at 37.5 weeks.  My OB was one of the OBs at the hospital that evening.  He wanted the babies out asap.  We discussed the risks/potential scenarios of getting induced, delivering DS vaginally and what might happen with DD.  She might turn head down once DS was out and there was more room and everything would be fine.  OR, since DS had an anterior placenta and she had a posterior placenta, she might start to turn, and DS's placenta might get in the way, and they'd have to deliver his placenta first--delaying her delivery and putting her in danger.  OR if she was tangled in it, they might have to knock me out to do a REAL emergency C-section.  OR, she could stay breech and he could attempt a breech delivery.  BUT if that didn't work, then they'd have to do a C-Section for her, anyway.  Again, the delays involved in that might potentially put her in danger. 

I didn't want to have to recover from BOTH a vaginal delivery AND a C-Section, and most of the options had a high likelihood of ending up that way.  I didn't want to have to be knocked out and not be "present" for the birth of DD.  And I was terrified of the potential risks in most of those scenarios--ALL the risk was on DD.

In the end, I opted for the C-section for both of them.  It wasn't my ideal birth scenario, but I trusted my OB.  He had "indulged" me with talking about a breech delivery, which is something most OBs these days won't ever consider.  I felt that he had legitimate concerns about the risks--which he discussed with me very objectively.  I didn't feel like he was trying to scare me into a C-section.  And when it came down to it, in my particular case, the C-section was really the safest option with the best guarantee of a good outcome.

Obviously, b/c I was having twins, I had different options than you do.  I would discuss your options at-length with your OB.  If you don't want a C-section, don't schedule one.  If you show up and need one, they'll do it.  Scheduling is more for the benefit of the doctors/hospital/staff than for the patients' benefit.  There's nothing wrong with that--planning for OR availability is a legitimate concern--but once you schedule it, you're kind of "locked in" to having one (unless you go into labor before it's scheduled...but then they'll do a C-section if you need it at that point).

There are still times when I wish I could have had my ideal birth scenario, but I have two wonderful, beautiful, healthy 2 year olds, and it doesn't really matter how they came into the world.

You really need to talk about all of this with your OB, though.  And like I said, don't schedule the C-section if you don't want to have one.  It doesn't mean you WON'T end up with one, it just means that you'll have other options open until the last minute.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

My son was breech and I ended up having to have an emergency C-section with him because I went into labor 3 weeks early and the doctor didn't want to risk turning him because that kid was on his way out and was not waiting for anything.

But I had a long talk with my OB before I scheduled a C section about turning and waiting to schedule and all those same things that are making you anxious.  She was super supportive and really took the time to make sure I understood my options.  Like Kargiver said above, you can schedule it and cancel it if the baby turns on his own.  At least this way, you have a good chance that your baby is delivered by someone you trust and know IF you have to go the C route.

As disappointed as I was to have to have a C section, I don't regret the decision not to try and turn him when I was in labor.  I was terrified enough that he was coming so early that I didn't need the added stress.

Good luck!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

My DD was breech, from about 34 weeks on.  We ended up with a scheduled c-section at 38 w, 3 days. 

My OB/MW team was open to the idea of external versioning, even though the rate of success is higher with a second pregnancy (it was my first full-term) but in the end I wasn't a good candidate b/c I was borderline low amniotic fluid (less fluid = less room for them to maneuver). 

I also tried acupuncture, as I figured it was worth trying.  DD did not want to flip, but I did three acupuncture sessions and it was great to help me relax and feel better toward the end of the pregnancy. 

My OB/MW team also wasn't opposed to delivering a breech, had it been a second baby and if I had already had a successful delivery.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladyboston. Show ladyboston's posts

Thanks everyone! My mother has tried to calm me down, and told me to let nature takes its course. I was breech up until a week before i was born (and i came 2.5 weeks late) also my nana was born breech (no c section) so I am thinking it runs in my family, if that is even possible!
    Worst case scenerio is that I will have to do a C section, but at the end of the day I will just be happy to have a healthy baby. Just my crazy pregnancy brain along with my severe stubborness is just sticking to my guns that if i had a choice, c section is not it! I am hoping that as the weeks go along that the baby will move by itself!! Until then I am going to try some of the things that the website has suggested.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

hi lady--I'm in a somewhat similar position to you in terms of baby's placement, but wanted to add my perspective. I am just one day shy of 35 weeks. I am also in the hospital on bed rest because of a small placental abruption that occurred on Saturday. This means that I get to see the little guy every other day. Last Monday, bub was transverse. On Saturday he was head down. Sunday morning he was head up. Today, he's back to being transverse (actually he is head down, but his feet are also down, below his head. He's just a big baby ball!) All the docs (and I've seen most of them at this point!) say that as long as the fluid levels are good, there's still lots of room and ability for the baby to move around. My OB is adament that he will get heads down and says we won't talk about a possible c/section until 38 weeks (if we're lucky to make it that far without the abruption worsening). Good luck!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Lady - You will get great advice here re: versioning, and I know it has worked for a couple of women here.  However I just want to say that I was like you and was VEHEMENTLY against a c-section, and in the end had to have one after 3+ hours of pushing (little girl was comfy in there, apparently).  I had about a 30-second temper tantrum ("I am NOT having a c-section!!") then resigned myself to it... and it wasn't nearly as bad/scary as I thought it would be.  I was fully awake to see my baby when she was first born.  And I loved having 5 days in the hospital, which I NEVER thought I would want.  I'm not sure if this is your first child, but if so, try not to worry too much about vaginal birth vs. c-section - if your dr. knows your wishes and does everything to support you while also, in the end, making the best decision for your body and the baby, that is what you want.  Good luck!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladyboston. Show ladyboston's posts

Kiwi- wow!! I hope all goes well for you, seems like your baby is a mover, you never know what position he will be in when the time comes for him to enter the world!
    poppy- this is my first child, and I so want to go thru all the labor and everything that comes with it (call me crazy, i know! but they dont call it labor for nothing!) My ob knows where I stand and is telling me not to worry until 38 weeks, but its my US tech that has got me worked up! She told me yesterday on the way out the door that if the baby doesnt move by my next apt (9/12) that they will force me to schedule a c-section before I leave. Like I said at the end of the day if it is an emergency c-section i need then so be it, but I do not want to go into it with one planned! fingers crossed!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I see - it's especially the PLANNED part that you don't want.  I totally get that - I wouldn't want to be *forced* to plan one either!  I guess, as others have said, you can always plan one then not need it... plan it for a week after your due date.  ;) That way you could still go into labor.  (I certainly hope they would not insist that you schedule it for *before* your due date.) As others have said, if you turn up in labor and need a c-section, they're not going to say, "nope, sorry, we're booked"!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from culhasa. Show culhasa's posts

My second son was breech at 35 weeks (and I scheduled a c-section) and by 37 weeks he had flipped.....I ended up having a c-section anyways due to other things and the fact that my 1st was a c-section.  Good luck!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

I don't see how they could "force" you to schedule a C-section.  It may be the practice's standard of care, and they may strongly recommend and prefer that you do, but they can't schedule it without your consent.  And if they did, they can't force you to show up. ;)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it at 33 weeks, but I don't mean to sound dismissive.  My OB didn't even mention the baby's position until much closer to the end, like maybe 36-37 weeks.  At 33 weeks, there is plenty of time for he/she to move!
    The web site Krystabel posted was suggested by my childbirth instructor.  Haven't checked it out, but some of the positions she suggested were pretty simply - sitting backwards on a chair leaning forward, crouching on the ground with your head/shoulders lower than your butt.  The baby's head is its heaviest body part, so gravity can help to pull it down.  Good luck!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Just because it's scheduled doesn't mean it's planned.  It would be a scheduled contingency plan - secondary to your primary plan of having a vaginal birth.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Also, I had a scheduled C-section, but right before we prepped for surgery, they did another ultrasound to make sure she was still breech.  If she hadn't been, they would have either talked about induction or sent me home!  Ask your OB/MW about that component...just because it's scheduled, doesn't mean you will definitely have the surgery!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Yes, but if the scheduled time arrives, and you haven't delivered yet, THE PLAN becomes a C-section and there is no other plan.  If you don't schedule, THE PLAN, by default is a vaginal birth and then, only if necessary, would that change to a C-section.  That's why my advice is not to schedule one if you don't want one.  Again, if you're in labor and it turns out you need one but it's not scheduled, they're not going to tell you to go home and come back in 2 weeks when they can squeeze you in to the schedule.  They'll just do it when they have to/need to.  I totally understand why a hospital would want to get as many scheduled beforehand as possible, but if someone really wants to avoid one unless absolutely necessary, you shouldn't schedule it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I see what you're saying.  But, don't they schedule them for the due date?  And, by then, the baby has either turned and you won't need the c-section or it hasn't and you do.  I'm just so anti-emergency, I admit I'd be erring on the side of "just in case."

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

They often schedule them before the due date--39 weeks, I think, but some are scheduled as early as 38 weeks.  I think it depends on the OB/hospital and the individual circumstances, though. 

Also, "emergency C-section" is a rather loose term in my opinion.  "Unplanned C-section" is probably a more-accurate term for most of them.  I had the very early signs of pre-eclampsia, and my OB wanted the babies out before it progressed, but it wasn't a real "emergency."  The whole lead-up to my c-section was very calm and orderly.  I had time to call my mother and DH called his parents, etc.  They moved me to another room, I changed out of my street clothes, etc.  And then I hung out for about 1/2 hour until they were ready.  It definitely didn't have the feel of an "emergency."  An "urgency" in the sense that sooner was better than later, but it wasn't a "this has to happen RIGHT NOW" kind of thing. 

In a real emergency, I think I've heard that they can get you in the OR, knock you out, and have the baby out in a matter of minutes.  Obviously, that's not the situation most people dream about, and is probably rare, but it can be done.

So, yeah, "emergency" is used very loosely and in my opinion inaccurately.  "Unplanned" or "Unscheduled" would be a better term for most of them.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

lady--honestly, I think it is very inappropriate that your u/s tech said that to you. She is not your primary care giver and certainly not as well-versed in your pregnancy as your OB! I would just ignore her and if she says anything at your next appointment about a c/section just firmly tell her that you and your OB will make any necessary decisions regarding your delivery. I would also let your OB know what the tech said, if you haven't already. I'm pretty sure s/he would not be happy that the tech said that to you.

As for scheduling a c/section, I agree with everyone who says it is not necessary at this point. Even with everything going on with me, my OB said that we wouldn't discuss it again until 38 weeks unless there was a major change in my condition. The hospital will accomodate you whenever you do go into labor and will do what is necessary at that point.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Interesting, Daisy - I had assumed they were scheduled for the due date, not before.  I wonder why they do it early...  Anyway, thanks for the new perspective. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

In Response to Re: Breech Baby:
    [QUOTE]Interesting, Daisy - I had assumed they were scheduled for the due date, not before.  I wonder why they do it early...  Anyway, thanks for the new perspective. 
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

My OB told me they schedule it at 5-7 days shy of 40 weeks in order to avoid possible complications with actual labor.  Having had to ask the anesthesiologist to stop what she was doing twice while I was having a contraction, it made sense to me in hindsight.

It's all a cr@pshoot anyway, in terms of dates.  You go into labor when you go.  As I was telling the nurse while they were putting my IV in, "This is not the way this was supposed to go.  I had a plan and I had three more weeks to refine it."  I'm surprised she didn't laugh in my face right there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Kar--there's actually starting to be some backlash from neonatologists about elective, not medically-necessary C-sections scheduled before the due date.  I'm recalling all this info from something on NPR within the last month or so, so it may not be 100% exact, but you can probably find it by googling and get it for yourself.

Basically, neonatologists have noticed that a fair number of babies in the NICU for problems related to prematurity were born by elective C-section prior to their due dates.  So, of course, they're thinking "W t f?  These babies had no reason to come out right now and should have been left in for another week or two at least and then they probably wouldn't have needed to be in the NICU at all."  And, from a "business" perspective, running a NICU is expensive and care for babies in there is expensive, so keeping babies out of the NICU lowers costs.  Not to mention the stress on the parents and being separated from their newborns, etc.  So, "they" did a study.  Participating hospitals changed their c-section (and maybe induction--but I can't remember) policies to require that any c-section (or induction?) before 40 weeks had to have a documented medical reason.  NICU admissions and complications due to prematurity dropped after this policy was implemented.  So now, they're trying to expand this to more hospitals to do a larger study.

I just thought it was interesting.  Also, in my case, when I first met with my OB early on in my pregnancy, he told me very firmly that he did not induce or schedule c-sections before 39 weeks--even for twins--and that he didn't care if I brought every woman I know to the office to collectively beg him to induce me before that, the answer would be "no."  That was just fine with me b/c I wanted as non-interventional a pregnancy and labor/delivery as possible, and it made me decide that he was a good fit for what I was looking for in an OB.  Of course, my body had a great big "HA HA" about that and I ended up with a cerclage around 20 weeks and weekly ultrasounds, weekly OB visits, followed by "pregnancy-induced hypertension" which led to twice-weekly OB visits and then developed into the early stages of pre-eclampsia and a medically-necessary c-section at 37.5 weeks.  So much for my "plans." :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladyboston. Show ladyboston's posts

I agree! I just wasnt sure what kind of say the US tech had in all this, this being my first child and the first grandchild on my side I do not have much to compare too. I saw my dr before the ultra sound so I have not discussed with her yet, but I told her that the baby has been breech at every ultra sound and she said not to worry until around week 38 then there are certain things they can do to try to get the baby to flip. I am kind of letting it go seeing what all you lovely ladies have to say and telling me not to worry. I am hoping nature just takes its course and this little nugget flips on its own!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Daisy, all the "backlash" info you posted makes me feel better about assuming (wrongly) that c-sections would be scheduled on or after the due date.  Thanks for the further information.

GL, lady, I hope your bean jumps into position before show time, and all this becomes moot. :)