Breech Baby

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Re: Breech Baby

Just wanted to add that when I was pregnant with twins one was vertex and the second was breech (like Daisy).  I had an ultrasound at 36 weeks 5 days and that's the position they were in.
    My water broke at 37 weeks and when I got to the hospital I told them I was supposed to have a c-section because of the second baby being breech.  They did a quick ultrasound and sure enough, he had flipped.  It's probably what broke my water.
    so even with another baby in there mine was able to flip all on his own at 37 weeks.
    And yes - I delivered a baby girl at 6 lbs. 11 oz. followed 20 minutes later by a 6 lb 2 oz baby boy.
    And to think that I really wanted to have a c-section because I was so afraid of having to deliver them.
    And don't be afraid if you do have a c-section.  My SIL has had 3 and my best friend has had two.  And they both say - it's not so bad - especially if you havent been in labor for hours before hand - which is what happened to both of them with their first babies.
    Good luck!  I'm sure your OB will take wonderful care of you.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lynx. Show lynx's posts

Hi-

With my firstborn, I did a vaginal delivery- DD was head  down and everythign was pretty standard. With second pregnancy, I had twins- baby A was head down, but baby B was breach. I tried the exercises and acupuncture with no luck, but I think that with twins, there just was not as much room for little Baby B to turn back around. I delivered both vaginally at MGH, and the doctors were very supportive and enthusiastic about my decision to try to do a vaginal delivery, but I also already had done a vaginal delivery with a fairly large baby, etc. I do think that at the "big" hospitals like MGH, Brigham& Womens, etc. there are more doctors with the training to deliver breach babies.  
    But I don't think you should be discouraged- a lot of my friends had breach babies who turned at the 11th hour!  And I think if you do end up having a C-section, you'll be so excited about having a healthy bundle of joy that you won't think twice about the vaginal delivery vs. c-section debate afterwards:-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Hi - I wanted to let you know, that even if it is your first baby, you can have a successful versioning. I had one with DD who was breech. I found out she was breech around 36-37 weeks, and I tried the positions (DH has awful pics of me in ridiculous positions), I tried acupuncture (she wiggled like crazy, but didn't turn), I tired a special hypnobirthing script with the instructor from my hypnobirthing class.

None of those things worked, but at 38.5 weeks I went in for the external versioning process. I won't lie, it is uncomfortable at best, and downright painful at worst, but you are being monitored to ensure that there isn't too much stress on the baby, and it was only about 30-40 minutes. 

I also won't get your hopes up too high - versioning only has about a 33% success rate for first time moms, so there is a good chance that you won't be successful. But if you really don't want a C-section, push your OB to schedule you for a versioning. I know that they don't want to do them too early, since there is a chance the baby can turn back to breech, but make sure you ask about it - my OB was ready to schedule me for a C-section without ever mentioning versioning until I asked if there was anything we could try before scheduling surgery. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

In Response to Re: Breech Baby:
    They often schedule them before the due date--39 weeks, I think, but some are scheduled as early as 38 weeks.  I think it depends on the OB/hospital and the individual circumstances, though.  Also, "emergency C-section" is a rather loose term in my opinion.  "Unplanned C-section" is probably a more-accurate term for most of them.  I had the very early signs of pre-eclampsia, and my OB wanted the babies out before it progressed, but it wasn't a real "emergency."  The whole lead-up to my c-section was very calm and orderly.  I had time to call my mother and DH called his parents, etc.  They moved me to another room, I changed out of my street clothes, etc.  And then I hung out for about 1/2 hour until they were ready.  It definitely didn't have the feel of an "emergency."  An "urgency" in the sense that sooner was better than later, but it wasn't a "this has to happen RIGHT NOW" kind of thing.  In a real emergency, I think I've heard that they can get you in the OR, knock you out, and have the baby out in a matter of minutes.  Obviously, that's not the situation most people dream about, and is probably rare, but it can be done. So, yeah, "emergency" is used very loosely and in my opinion inaccurately.  "Unplanned" or "Unscheduled" would be a better term for most of them.
    Posted by Daisy75

Wow, they actually schedule them BEFORE the due date??  This floors me.  Unless there was a specific medical reason why my baby needed to come out before the due date, I would be FURIOUS if someone suggested my baby be taken out early. 

I would also NEVER schedule a c-section on my actual due date.  My DD was 9 days late and as far as I am concerned there must have been a reason for her wanting to stay put.  I would never want to compromise the baby's readiness to be born (to a certain degree... 3 weeks late, I might have been convinced otherwise).  Again, unless there was a medical reason.  But that's just me!

ETA: Daisy - just read your other post about NICU and scheduled c-sections.  Thanks for posting, very interesting.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I agree that I think it's crazy to schedule a C-secton before the baby's due date if there is no medical reason.  My son was due on the 5th, well that day came and went and he arrived on the 13th. MY OB told me that once he was two weeks late we would discuss other options.  Funny thing is I had a cerclage early in the pregnancy and he ended up wanted to stay in there longer.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

I'm not at work today so I was able to find the story I was talking about:

http://www.npr.org/2011/07/18/138473097/doctors-to-pregnant-women-wait-at-least-39-weeks

My recollection of the details was a little off, but not significantly.

I should also add that even though I delivered my twins by c-section at 37.5 weeks, they were fine and didn't spend any time in the NICU.  HOWEVER, they did have a lot of trouble latching which (along with several other factors) ultimately resulted in my decision to exclusively pump.  Since I was in the very early stages of preeclampsia, it was medically necessary to get them out, but I do wonder if they had been able to stay in a bit longer if the latching would have been easier for them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

daisy - my 37 week old twins wouldn't/couldn't latch either.  I was a wreck after 4 days and ended up exclusively pumping too. 
    No time in the NICU and home 48 hours after delivery.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

I work in NICU and it is definitely true.  See, the problem is is that there is really ZERO consequence to an OB to deliver you earlier than needed.  There is a risk in developing late, after something happens to your baby.  There is no problem if they section a 32 weeker who is slightly unstable, even if they are unruptured.  Why? Because they get to bill for a cesection and "save the day" by giving you a living baby.  However, the problems come at your baby's expense, namely in the form of breathing problems.  The hospitals can often make money off a NICU admission, as long as it isn't a 25 weeker (they are million dollar babies by the time they go home).  So its a problem in the system, and a problem with fear of litigation on the OB's part.  They would rather err on the side of caution and deliver you early if there is ANY question.

The ACOG (who write the book on OB care) states that ANY delivery before 39 weeks should be for a good reason (basically).  But there are ways around this.  We just recently had an OB deliver an employees baby at 37 weeks because she was uncomfortable.  The reasons were for "low fluid" but it was a pretty soft call.  Baby was a section without labor and ended up with aspiration pneumonia, ventilated, and in the NICU for weeks.  Very awful.

Sorry, this is getting a bit off topic of breech!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

My sister put her ironing board on a slight slant (one end up on the bedframe in her bedroom) and spent some time every day lying on it, on her back, head down.

The baby did turn, but did that have anything to do with her spending time on the slant board?  who'll know?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladyboston. Show ladyboston's posts

I have heard about that ironing board trick! I am hoping to spend a weekend in the pool walking on my hands =)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Lady, not the same thing, but I didn't want an induction with DS at all, and my MW let me go and scheduled one at 41w 4days.  However at 41w 1d, I went in for fetal monitoring and he had a deceleration, so I was induced that day (8 days late), and everything turned out just fine.  I know that this has nothing to do with a breech issue, but it kind of related to the "don't take them too early" issue.  However, I believe that GC had a successful external version (go back to the September pregnancy thread from last year).  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I would also NEVER schedule a c-section on my actual due date.  My DD was 9 days late and as far as I am concerned there must have been a reason for her wanting to stay put.  I would never want to compromise the baby's readiness to be born (to a certain degree... 3 weeks late, I might have been convinced otherwise). 
    Posted by poppy609

It's not like due dates are an exact science anyway. Mine was calculated according to an average cycle, but I knew exactly when I got pregnant, so I knew they were a week off. They kept telling me that it was highly unlikely that I could have gotten pregnant when I did, but sure enough my daughter was born exactly a week before her due date. So a baby that appears to be two weeks late might only be one week late.

The midwives at Mt Auburn do let you go 2 weeks over, but after that they strongly recommend induction because the placenta gets "boggy." I didn't ask what that meant because it sounded so gross.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladyboston. Show ladyboston's posts

Boggy? I don't think I want to know what that mean, ha ha

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

My sister put her ironing board on a slight slant (one end up on the bedframe in her bedroom) and spent some time every day lying on it, on her back, head down. The baby did turn, but did that have anything to do with her spending time on the slant board?  who'll know?
    Posted by CT-DC

Ha!  I think I would have flattened my ironing board if I tried to lie on it at 8+ months pregnant!  The thing can barely withstand basic ironing.  But great that your sister's baby ended up turning!

ETA: Oh - I missed that it was on the bedframe.  That might have been ok.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

In Response to Re: Breech Baby : It's not like due dates are an exact science anyway. Mine was calculated according to an average cycle, but I knew exactly when I got pregnant, so I knew they were a week off. They kept telling me that it was highly unlikely that I could have gotten pregnant when I did, but sure enough my daughter was born exactly a week before her due date. So a baby that appears to be two weeks late might only be one week late. The midwives at Mt Auburn do let you go 2 weeks over, but after that they strongly recommend induction because the placenta gets "boggy." I didn't ask what that meant because it sounded so gross.
    Posted by lemonmelon

Yes, very good point!  I hated being so tied to this date that they actually changed 3 times when I was pregnant.  To me, it was meaningless.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Boggy? I don't think I want to know what that mean, ha ha
    Posted by ladyboston

I know, it conjured a mental image of tripe.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Like Lost said, I had a successful external version done.  I think it was at 37 or 38 weeks (can't remember) and it was uncomfortable but not awful.  She stayed head-down and was apparently comfy as I had to be induced at 41 weeks -- that's MGH's standard of care and she was measuring big so I didn't fight them.  Had a normal vaginal delivery. 

I agree that the U/S tech was wildly out of line in what was said, by the way.  I'd talk to your OB and mention that the conversation left you upset and ask point-blank if their standard of care is to "force" women to book C-sections.  I would bet the answer is no. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krystabel. Show Krystabel's posts

THis is slightly off topic as it doesn't pertain to breech babies directly - but to the discussion about scheduling a c-section (or induction) before your due date...

Interesting article about scheduyling a delivery before 40 weeks... http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/09/health/09brody.html?_r=1&src=tp&smid=fb-share

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Bumping to find out if OP's LO had turned or if she had scheduled a versioning. (If she was 33 weeks ~3 weeks ago, it would be close to time to schedule it.) 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

My baby was breech until 36 weeks and I can tell you the exact day she turned (nothing like having a 6 lb ball turn around inside you), but I did end up having a C-section because she just wouldn't come out (had a VBAC with the second).  My version was all scheduled when she flipped.

I was disappointed to learn I might have to have a section also, but in the end, when I did have my baby (who just went to college by the way!), I was just so happy she was 1) out and 2) healthy and perfect that the delivery did not matter.  Its easy to say when its not my pregnancy, but I'd focus on what really matters--the outcome of a healthy, wonderful baby.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladyboston. Show ladyboston's posts

I have my next ultrasound on the 12th (which will make me just about 37 weeks) so I am dying to hear what the US tech has to say to me then.
    I am hoping that the baby has flipped or turned a little because I am getting movement in parts of my stomach that I have not experienced movement before!
    I luckily have my apt with my OB the friday before so I will go over in detail with her what I should do if the US tech insists I book a c-section etc. Hoping for the best!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladyboston. Show ladyboston's posts

The baby has flipped!! All my worries over nothing!!! I went in for the last ultrasound yesterday and not even 2 mins on the bed I got the good news, baby is head and face down! I was so happy, I wanted to do a dance =)
    I never actually felt it "flip" but I have had crazy pinball machine like mvoements, and extreme pressure "down there". My mother now thinks I will go early and she is betting that I pop within the next two weeks, I guess time will tell. I am just over joyed and relieved and cant wait to meet my little boo <3.
    Thanks again for all your advice and words of wisdom, I dont know what I would have done without this board!!!
    Good Luck to all!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

lady--congrats on a head-down bub!! That must be a huge relief--and you didn't have to deal with the opinionated u/s tech pressuring you!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Great news!!!  Thanks for the update!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

You're what I like to call "locked and loaded" and ready for take off!!!

Babies know just what to do!

Sections
Shortcuts