c-section recovery

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

c-section recovery

hi ladies - for those of you who had c-sections, how long did it take before you could walk around the neighborhood with your new baby, and then how long until you could *really* walk (briskly) and even jog?  i'm sooo dying to be active again, but i know i'm still a long stretch away!  just trying to set expectations.  thanks!  :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

Re: c-section recovery

I had what I consider to be a fairly good recovery from my c-section.  I'll preface my recovery with the disclaimer that everyone is different and you should really listen to your body.  Also, I believe some ob/gyns still cut the ab muscles and mine were pulled aside and I felt that that helped immensely.  I felt that I would have been able to walk around with my baby in the neigborhood around 2 weeks.  However, my DH and family didn't want me to do anything until I met with the midwife (who cleared me to drive by 2 weeks).  I think that I could *really*walk somewhere around 4-5 weeks.  I'm not a jogger, so I can't help with that but I did start taking easier fitness classes at 6 weeks.  10.5 weeks post partum, I'm still not back to any regular exercise other than walking but that's more of an issue with trying to schedule the time to do it.  Also, I still have tenderness, at times, around my incision.  HTH.  When is your big day?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

This will be different for everyone. Mine was a tad longer, but my surgeon sewed a nerve up so I had a tougher time. But I was walking easily around the house a week and a half after, and around the mall about two months after (avoided going due to winter weather and germs) but probably could have done it earlier.

I'm not a jogger so I can't answer that.

I would imagine with twins your recovery might be a little longer than "normal" since your demands will be more intense with two babies to care for.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

I had a great recovery - I went for a walk when DD was about a week or a week and a half old - just around a few blocks but it felt great.  I can't remember how long it was after that when I started really walking long distances but I don't think it was very long (although now I remember that that spring we had a ton of rain so I did not get out much).  Also I don't run so I can't help you there.  I would suggest doing as many little walks (even in the hospital) as I think they really helps you recover.

I agree with Nene about the incision, mine was tender and sweats felt great - for some reason even maternity pants bothered me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

I really didn't feel tender at all from my c-section incision - that area was numb for so long, it actually never felt too sore.  There was a tugging sensation when I moved until I got the staples out, then it felt even better.  I was back to driving at 2 weeks.  I honestly felt pretty mobile from Day 1 and 2 on in the hospital... just stiff and not quite like it was "my" body.  Walking, even around the unit, felt great.  I would do laps with my husband and the baby in the hospital bassinet and acted like I was accomplishing a marathon.  When we got home, it was heavy snow season so that delayed my going out with the baby at first, but I could have handled some short walks around the neighborhood probably around 2 weeks.  To be honest, you aren't cleared for real exercise, including more intense walking, by your OB until the post-partum appointment at 6 weeks, so don't be surprised if they ask you not to exercise until then.  The parts of the recovery that were really tough for me, no matter how ok I felt otherwise were: getting in and out of bed - it was very challening with the numbness and all that my abdominal muscles went through for the first 3 weeks.  And honestly, sorry ladies, incontinence.  My bladder was really beat up during labor and pushing, and I ended up with a UTI and I just couldn't make it to the bathroom fast enough some times.  That improved by weeks 3/4.  I also had more difficulty with the emotional/hormonal aspects than the physical, but I'm sure both aspects weren't helping eachother one bit.  Physically though, overall, I was pleasantly surprised how good I felt.  I had friends who, due to various situations, had some bigger restrictions:  two not being told to leave the house for 6 weeks, a few who couldn't drive for 6 weeks, one being advised to only use the stairs twice per day.  When I heard emergency C-Section, I immediately thought of their restrictions and thought they were "absolutes."  I was relieved that my OB was pretty easygoing and liberal overall and I didn't have any of those restrictions.  I'm really optimistic this time that the few challenges I did have physically with my first delivery may be lessened with my next, a scheduled c-section, by the fact that I won't be going through full labor/pushing and hopefully with the emotional piece, I'm a lot more prepared to feel up/down and I'm also more confident as a parent. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

I agree with MM, getting out of bed was a bit painful.  Coming home from the hospital I was only on prescription Motrin and I took one every morning for a couple weeks.  Every time I would get up I'd feel pulling in my incision.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

I am at 7 weeks and I would run now if I could find the time :)  I took short walks around the block (singular, one block) after the first week, though did not push the stroller at that time.  During the 2 and 3d weeks I'd go almost every day, and a little bit farther every day... I'd day by the end of week 3 I'd do about 2 miles in an hour, now I am up to about 3.  They will tell you the quickest way to recover is to move - but then they will also tell you not to overdo it :)  My walks were slow at first, I'd have to get DH to slow down but I do think going regularly in the early weeks helped with the recovery. 

I don't have any pain or tenderness, but still a but numb, which I hear can last a while.  My pre-preg pants fit, but some hit right at my incision and that is a little uncomfortable

I will also add that it felt SO good to be up and moving freely!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Stefani, one of my best friends had twins via c-section.  She told me she was up and moving around the room w/in hours after the birth.  I don't know how much or whether she was in pain, or was just so thrilled to be off bed rest [she had complications that put her on bedrest, some in the hospital, for about 6 weeks before the boys were born] that she disregarded any pain/discomfort.  I'm guessing it's really subjective as to the amount of pain/speed of recovery.  Good luck and hoping for a quick bounce back. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Like others they had me up and out of bed about 12 hours postpartum and then I was walking the halls of the hospital.  I did have to walk slowly and ask DH to slow down for probably a week or so.  I think we took DS out for a walk only 3-4 days after getting out of the hospital but DH pushed the stroller and we walked slowly and did not go far. I started driving in 2 weeks as well but they told me not to lift anything heavier than DS for 6 weeks, try not to walk up and down the stairs too many times and don't vacuum.  I try to go for a walk every day and I do go further and further each time.  I do have a little soreness but it is just above the incision not really the incision itself..or so it seems that way to me. DS is now 4 weeks and I have to remind myself not to push it too much because of the c-section. Sleeping in my bed the first couple of nights bothered me...I think because the hospital bed sits up and laying down flat pulled on my incision.  I only took the meds they gave me a couple of times at night to help with the pulling I felt.

I second listening to your body and letting it tell you what to do and not do.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JACON. Show JACON's posts

I was walking (slowly) around the neighborhood within a week or so after c-section.

I am a runner (well maybe just a jogger) and was told not to do anything strenuous for 6 weeks. After that point I was able to start running again. I don't know if you plan to breastfeed but the biggest issue for me initially was the discomfort from my enlarged b**bs and sensitive nipples. I would say mine are medium sized and I had a low milk supply but there was still a noticeable difference from pre-pregnancy. The jostling was very uncomfortable in the chest region - not so much that I couldn't run but enough that it wasn't as enjoyable to run as it once was. A good sports bra helps. Good luck!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonhime. Show bostonhime's posts

I was walking around the day after my c-section, but hunched over. I HAD to get out of bed - it was driving me crazy being so bedridden. Plus, I wanted to walk around with my baby so it was added incentive. As a result I think I had a speedier "recovery". A week after we came home from the hospital we went on our first road trip up to Maine for the wknd. It was probably too ambitious of a trip so soon but I was walking around fine when we were up there.
    That said, I still feel soreness around my incision area. I'm now 12 wks PP. I go on stroller walks around Horn Pond with my baby but I haven't gone back to the gym (no time).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

It's so great to read all the stories here!  I too had a pretty easy recovery from by c-sec and agree that the worst was getting in and out of bed but I will add to the list laughing and coughing.  I would also say that you should get some high-waist undies.  Most of mine were the bikini kind and they hit right at the incision so I wound up wearing the hospital undies for ages  - which did nothing for my self-esteem! 

I was also walking around the park at about 2 weeks post-partum, slowly but surely.  My DH was very over-protective until my 6 week check-up so I didn't do much, although I think I could've.  Then we had the awful, hot summer which totally nixed most walking since I was worried both me and/or the baby would get heat-stroke! 

I did run pre-pregnancy and returned to running when I returned to work at 12 weeks post-partum.  I would say that it has been an uphill struggle to get back to where I was prior to the baby, and I'm still not there yet (and I'm 5.5 months now).  If you are like me and stopped running during your pregnancy, it'll take time to get your stamina back up and I've also heard that while you are nursing you still have relaxin in your system which makes your joints grind more.  I tried to jump right back on the horse, but I was sidelined with a lot of joint pain.  So I've been doing walk/run combo and slowly increasing the ratio of running to walking.  I started out with 3 sets of 8 min walking & 2 min running and now I'm up to 5 min and 5 min.  I'm hoping in another 2 months to be back to just running. 

So that's my story, but like everyone else said here - listen to your body.  You definitely do not want to overdo it and cause yourself an injury!  Good luck!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from clynn5683. Show clynn5683's posts

In Response to c-section recovery:
    I was able to the day I came home from the hospital.  I asked all of my girlfriends who have had c-sections and saw recovery times that went from 1 week to 13 weeks.  The best advice that I received was that right after the surgery to move the most I could without over doing it, pester the nurses to take the cath out until it is done and to take care of myself (with the nurse observing of course).  Those little actions of getting out of bed, shuffling to the bathroom and "taking care of myself" really made all the difference.  I had my c-section on Monday, was walking around the floor on Tuesday, left the hospital on Friday and Friday afternoon I was walking gingerly around the grocery store feeling pretty good.  The key is to obey the "no lifting more than the baby weighs" rule and move, move, move even if it is just to go potty.  Just remember, everybody is different and do not push your body.