Chicco Keyfit or Gracco Snugride

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Re: Chicco Keyfit or Gracco Snugride

Thank you, Betty!! I'm just so relieved to hear something fits in this dang car. I will check out travel systems w/ the 22.

Eva, that's a good point - I was wondering if the 35 would be big and bulky.

Thanks everyone! hoping to find something good today at BRU...

We also got a convertible carseat as a shower gift, off the registry, but the more I Think about it I might take it back and get the pack n play. DH thinks it is mean to do that since people gave us the gift...but really, will they ever know and would they really care? the PNP is useful now...the carseat really isn't. I'll just tell them it doesn't fit b/c it probably doesn't!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

oh, also - Betty, do you have the seat in the middle or side of the car? I'm wondering if it is on the side, do you have to push the passenger seat up at all? I'm 5'10 and DH is around 6'0 so we don't have a lot of wiggle room up there...that is my next concern.

I'l lfind this out today at BRU but just in case you' check in I'd love peace of mind. :-)

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

This may clear up some confusion about the snap-n-gos (I actually just learned this too!).  BabyTrend makes the official Snap-n-Go which works for Chicco seats (and others I think).  Graco seats work with the Graco Snugrider Infant Car Seat Frame.  They are the same concept but the design is slightly different to accomodate different seats.  I thought the name "snap-n-go" was a general term for the frame.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2266236

http://www.babytrend.com/strollers_snap-n-go/1305R.html

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Silver - I haven't had time to read all of the responses to your post, but the Graco (at least the Snugride 22, wich I have) instruction manual says you cannot leave the handle up (meaning over the baby) HOWEVER you can push the handle so it goes way down, almost under the baby's head, so it doesn't actually take up more space in the car.

ETA: it is kind of a pain to get it in the car this way, but it might be helpful to you.  Also, my DH is 6'5" and I am 5'10" and we have the seat behind the passenger seat... my DH has to drive everywhere because he can't fit into the passenger seat when the carseat is in the car.  And we have the smallest carseat.  (and we have a Civic and a CRV)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

OK we picked out a Graco Travel System - the Flipit w/ the Snugride 22. I actually like it b/c it is much ligher weight  and a little more practical for me/us. We have a jogger that I'll use when the baby gets big enough so really this stroller is just a bonus - my SIL is giving us her Graco snap n go so that's another bonus.

we do have to move the seat up but not nearly as far as with the Evenflo - for long rides I'll probably sit in the back anyway and by the time we need the convertible we'll need to get a new car, I think.

Thanks for all the advice ladies!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from betty7. Show betty7's posts

Silver, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.  We have the carseat in the middle, I don't think we tried it on the side.  Glad to hear you picked something out.  I think you will be happy with the snugride 22 - carseats are so awkward to carry, the smaller the better in my opinion.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

They told me we can't put it in the middle b/c of the dropdown armrest. I'll have to check w/ maybe the fire dept on that b/c I'd love to put it in the middle. Thanks again for the help and Wed, sorry for hijacking your post!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from betty7. Show betty7's posts

Hmmm... what's this about the armrest?  You mean the one for the front seat?  We put it in the middle because it's supposedly safer there, but is there a safety concern with the armrest? Please let me know what you find out, thanks! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

yeah she said unless the armrest in the backseat locks in the up position (I don't think ours does) then you can't use the middle. I want to get a more official word on this b/c the manual does say the seat has to lock in the up position - which it does - but nothing about an armrest. I mean the armrest is practically styrofoam and I don't see how it could even move if the carseat is blocking it...so we'll see. I'll try and do some research.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

DH has our Snugride 30 in his HUGE Dodge Durango and I still have to sit all the way up with my knees almost to the dash - despite being 5'1".  The PD installed it behind the passenger seat and said it's OK for the seat to be just barely touching it.  Not sure why, but DH specifically asked if it should be in the middle, so there must have been some reason.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

Silver, which size Snugride did you get?  I want to go with the 22, though I like some of the features of the 30 better, side impact protection, and the front adjusting harness.  Can anyone with the rear adjusting harness comment on whether it is a pain or not?  Of course I don't love any of the patterns on the 22 at Babies R Us or Target where we registered, so I might just buy the carseat myself. 

We also need to go car shopping soon.  DH's car needs work and we would rather put the money into a new car.  Of course his car was the full size sedan that we were going to use.  I have a Corolla and we both sit with the seat all the way back so I am guessing we will have trouble with the car seat as well.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from aidansmama. Show aidansmama's posts

I have the Sungride 35 and it is so freakin' HEAVY!  My son now weighs about 17 pounds and I can barely lift it into it's base in the car.  I thought when we purchased it that a few pounds difference wouldn't be a big deal but my back now tells me otherwise!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

we ended up getting the 22 w/ the FlipIt travel system. It is much more lightweight than what we originally  had.

That said, we also ended up buying a microvan. hahaha. the Hatchback was just not working with a carseat and my long legs...I was literally up against the dashboard. Normal sized people would have no problem with it though. I do'nt know if it helps, Wed, but 2 years in a row we've purchased a car on the last day of the month, right at the dealer's closing time and gotten amazing deals. Like, ridiculous.

I do like the 22, it seems to be relatively lightweight. I didn't love the pattern at first that I chose, but now I actually like it a lot (its just grey/yellow). I decided also that what was more important was that both baby and other passengers in the car were safe and not so much what the seat looked like.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

I will plug the orbit baby system here.  It includes a stroller chassis (like a snap and go), diaper bag, infant car seat and car seat base for $900.  BUT, you can get the Generation 1 version on ebay for aroud $650.

For smaller cars, it can be great because the car seat itself is much sleeker and the design of the handle mean that you don't have these big bulbs sticking out on either side of the seat.  It fits great in our Scion xA which is a TINY car.  Also, the chassis folds super flat (much smaller than the bugaboo) and when you upgrade to the toddler attachement for the stroller, it all fits together nicely right in the trunk.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

So we decided to go with the Snugride. Does anyone have any comments on whether it is really a big deal to have the front adjusting harness versus the rear?  I wanted a 22lb version, though most of them seem to adjust in the back.  The 30lb versions all seem to adjust in the front, but our car is small so I was leaning toward the smaller version, plus I think kby 22lbs I will be done with carrying the seat around.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

I highly recommend a front adjustment.  It just makes it so much easier for getting the LOs in and out.  There isn't a time that I have not used the adjustment with DS.  We have the 32lb seat and it does take up space in our volvo s40 but I definitely think the front adjustment makes it worth it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cnanavati. Show cnanavati's posts

The Graco Snugride plus the snap n go frame is all you'll need until they're old enough to sit in a regular stroller.  The Snugride is consistently been the best rated bucket car seat, period.  The same isn't true of the Chicco.  That would decide me right there.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladeeda2. Show ladeeda2's posts

so we went with the chicco and are very pleased... honestly, the graco and chicco are pretty similar and either would be great according to our research... and if you do want the chicco, check online for different colors/patterns... there are a lot of much more attractive keyfit 30 stroller/car-seats out there in comparison to what babies r us carries... we picked out a really nice red model and ordered from amazon... free shipping and about $50 less...  good luck everyone!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cnanavati. Show cnanavati's posts

The snugride is the consistent #1 bucket car seat.  Go with the best.

Get a snap n go...usually super cheap on CL, and then get a "real" stroller when they're like 4-6 months old.  Magic Beans will let you road test strollers.  We have a Bugaboo Bee and will probably get another when #2 is ready for a real stroller.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LowellwTwins. Show LowellwTwins's posts

I don't think anyone has mentioned this dilemma: Twins and two tall parents. 

I am almost 8months pregnant with our first--twins! With twins you need to put a baby behind the driver and the passenger...so space behind the driver became a HUGE problem. In both the Honda CRV and Toyota Prius, my husband and I had to adjust the driver's seat way up....not safe or comfortable for driving. We were so frustrated!

We had the Graco Snugride 35 that we thought would be fine but went back to the store to find out what might be smaller or shaped differently, the Chicco KeyFit 30 gave us that extra couple inches we needed! Phew. We had visions of needing to get a new car before the babies even arrive! I'd never heard of anyone having this trouble, but then realized it's probably unique to twins because most poeple don't have two infant seats in the back at once. (on a side note, knowledgeable sales people and selection at Buy Buy Baby in Nashua NH are light years away from any of the BabiesRUs locations I've visited. it's worth the trip.)

Anyway, we like the installation and use of the Chicco better in the end, so it was win win.

We are having trouble with how it fits in the double snap-n-go, but that's probably another discussion...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Lowell, I hope I am wrong here for your sake, but I was of the understanding the Snap n Go doesn't take Chicco... I could  be wrong!  You may want to call buy buy baby and ask.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CookieM. Show CookieM's posts

Hey all,

In one of those freebie "magazines" (aka gear-advertising handouts) I got at BRU, it had a photo of the Chicco Keyfit 30 Caddy.  Basically, a Chicco-specific snap-n-go.  Weird thing is, Buy Buy Baby hadn't heard of it, it's not on the Chiccousa website, and I can't seem to find it online anywhere else.

Think they're just behind in production?  Or too far ahead in marketing?  Or, is this some crazy, "mess with the nesting pregnant ladies" scam?

Lowell, the one I saw was a single.  Not sure if they'll have a double whenever the mystery is solved.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

In Response to Re: Chicco Keyfit or Gracco Snugride:
    [QUOTE]Lowell, I hope I am wrong here for your sake, but I was of the understanding the Snap n Go doesn't take Chicco... I could  be wrong!  You may want to call buy buy baby and ask.
    Posted by MM379[/QUOTE]
    I'm not sure about the double snap n go.  But we used the single snap n go with the Chicco KeyFit 30 and we were very happy.  Loved it.
    It was very confusing because the "official" word from Chicco was that they didn't work with it and it wasn't endorsed by them.  But the Snap n Go people said it would work.
    We ended up going to the store and trying them together.  The Chicco didn't "snap" into the frame, but we were very comfortable with how it sat low down and securely inside it, and then the belt snapped over the top.
    Chicco should totally make their own and sell it (and stop tricking people with weird ads!  :)  ).  I know lots of friends who didn't buy a snap and go because it wasn't officially recommended by Chicco, but they would have bought a Chicco brand one in a second.