Chicco Keyfit or Gracco Snugride

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

Chicco Keyfit or Gracco Snugride

I know that this has been discussed before, though I am having a hard time deciding between these two.  We will probably go with the corresponding travel system so I am just trying to decide.  Does anyone have some pros or cons to share about either of these?  My thoughts so far is that the shade on the Chicco car seat looks short, though the quality of the stroller appears better than the Gracco.  The Gracco looks like it folds up a bit smaller.  

We also looked at a Mustsy stroller, though I am not sure I can justify $600 on a stroller alone. 

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maple76. Show Maple76's posts

Re: Chicco Keyfit or Gracco Snugride

I agonized for months trying to decide between these two seats. I ended up with the Chicco Keyfit 30. Our LO hasn't arrived yet, but based on quality and ease of installation, we love it.  One of the few differences between these seats is the Chicco has extra side impact padding and since we drive Subarus, (owener's manual suggests side positioning, rather than middle) we felt better with the extra side padding.

I also struggled with whether or not to do the travel system and decided to go with the recommendation in Baby Bargains and pass. However, we did get a snap and go stroller frame and it is very, very light weight and easy to use.

Hope this helps!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

I have to agree with Maple regarding the snap n go.  We had the Graco Snugride (DS just moved into his big boy seat last week!!) and it was fantastic. I'm glad we didn't go the route of the travel system because the stroller seemed so bulky.  For in and out trips to the pedi, grocery store, Target, the snap n go was perfect (super light, easy to use).  I couldn't reason paying full price for the snap n go either so I found one on CL from a lovely woman in Newton and the thing was less than 6 mos old. I paid $25 versus $70 for new. Sweet!  Having the snap n go bought us a little time to shop for a "big stroller" and we settled on the BOB revolution. Maybe the Mustsy is something you can revisit after your little one is born and you have a better sense of your needs.

Now that DS is out of the infant seat the snap n go is rendered useless. We bought a compact umbrella stroller for trips in out of stores and use our BOB for walks.  HTH!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

We have the graco snugride and I like it.  I didn't look at the chicco so I can't compare but I like how easy the the straps are to move as DS is getting bigger.  I also like how easy it is to tighten and losen the straps to get DS in and out.  He's 17 lbs now and it's just starting to get heavy for me to carry but I think that depends on the person. 

We also have the snap n go by baby trend (which I think is better than the graco version) and highly recommend it.  We have an uppababy vista that I love but it was bulky and the snap n go is so light and easy to use.  I opted not to go with the travel system at the recommendation of all my friends that had babies before me as well as my SIL who's DD is a year older than DS.  I don't regret it the snap n go is awesome and we got it off craigslist for $20 rather than buying new.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

We have the Graco Snugride (no LO to put in it yet!) and the reasoning behind it was that I could get a smaller/lighter size with the Snugride 22, instead of the Keyfit that started at 30.  Who knows how much the weight really matters, but figured since I'm a smaller person, anything that was lighter would help! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I went with a Snugride 30, but haven't used it yet.  I was interested in the Chicco Keyfit as well, but the Snugride is compatible with more snap n gos and other strollers, so that's the one we registered for.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

We have the Snugride 22 and now that DD is 4 months and about 14 lbs (I think... we have our pedi appt next week) it's quite heavy.  I'm not sure how much the Chicco weighs, but that might be something to keep in mind.  I've screwed up my left hip lifting it in and out of the car.

Wed - when are you due?  If I had to recommend a stroller system, I'd say just go with a snap-n-go to start then get something more substantial later.  The only issue I've had is that it's not good in snow/ice.  But now that stuff has melted, it's been ok.  When you're just post-delivery, it's really good to have a very light stroller that you can get in and out of the trunk yourself.  And I do recommend trying to get out of the house with the LO in those first few weeks!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

FWIW, my brother and SIL got the snugride 22 and their 7 month old is just about 20 lbs and they probably won't be able to use it much longer. I have the snugride32 and liked it just fine. I was big into carrying DD on my body and not in the carrier or in a stroller, especially once she started getting a bit heavy - which didn't take too long. I had the snap&go but only used it a few times and then bought a regular Graco stroller that did allow for the carseat to snap into it (which I used a few times when she fell asleep right before I was going to go somewhere) but mostly I used it when she was older and able to sit up on her own and face forward. the one thing I didn't like about the stroller -it was hard for her to see her surroundings yet the sun would get into her face ALL the time and I had to buy a sun visor for the stroller. 

Also - and maybe other graco snugride32 people can speak to the truth of this - but I could never get the carrier to clip into a grocery cart correctly - it didn't fit, so that was also a big reason why I wrapped her up with me instead of keeping her in the carrier when we'd go to the grocery store - not to mention the fact that she preferred to be held rather than sit in the carrier.

Around the 15 month mark I switched DD over to a Britax convertible and forward facing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

I have the Chicco Keyfit 30.  I bought it because of the side impact protection.  DD is 7 months and weights 17 lbs and the seat is getting heavy.  I hope to keep the seat until the spring and then we'll move to a convertible.  Not sure when your LO will be born but the sun shade is shallow on the Keyfit which I found extremely unhelpful since DD was born in July.  Also, the Keyfit doesn't allow for it to fit in the seat compartment of the grocery cart. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

Thanks for all your comments, it is always good to hear what actual users think.  Nene, I had the same thought about the sun shade being skimpy, she will be born in June so I am going to need the shade.  I also like the Gracco because it is a bit lighter, though I like the side impact and the looks of the Chicco better.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Wed - The Chicco does look sharp!

Benice and Nene - Interesting point... There was a thread on here a while back about snapping infant seats into shopping carriages, so when I did my registry I tried to snap the Snugride into a cart and it didn't work.  Can't remember if I tried the Chicco as well.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

I have the Chicco and really like it.  There are a few draw backs such as them fitting into the tops of shopping carts but I always put the seat in that actual carriage part.  Also, now that we are expecting #2 and looking for double strollers the KeyFit fits into very few double strollers.  Chicco did come out with a double stroller last year which is what we went with, but choice are limited.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

I have the Chicco 30.  I like it.  The only issue I think is the sun shade.  It is sort of heavy but so is DD - she is now 16 lbs so really I will only bring the car seat in alone if it is a very short trip.  I have the accompanying stroller which is great - very, very easy to use.  It is a little heavy but not bad and super easy to get the car seat in.  In the beginning I barely used the stroller because I used the bjorn so much.
    Personally, although I see the ease of a lighter weight snap and go I think  because I knew I was going to get a regular stroller that I would just end up buying two products.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

A note about shopping carts - I think I've only put the carseat in a shopping cart at BJs.  Otherwise I just bring the snap-n-go into the grocery store along with a couple of cloth shopping bags and my MOMMY HOOKS (I HIGHLY recommend picking up a couple of these) and don't even need a shopping cart.  I can fit a bunch of stuff in the basket under the carseat, and the rest can go into the bags.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

I have the snugride 22.  It's worked out for us because DD is pretty light, so she's still in it at 10 months and 17lbs.  She'll probably be too tall for it before she's too heavy.

Of course I didn't know that she'd be a dainty girl before she was born (when I got it).  But my rationale was, did I really want to be taking a 30lb baby + a carseat in and out of the car?!  And my answer was no.  I was so right too because even at 17lbs, it is so difficult to handle that seat!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

We went with the Chicco, but if I had it to do over, I might pick a different style. I liked it as a car seat and I have a Trevi stroller that it fits into, but it doesn't go on many other strollers besides Chicco brand ones. Also, what I disliked the most was the handle. It is just a straight handle, up and over. The buckets that have a handle with the grip part parallel to how the baby lays, so that the handle has two bends in it, are much easier to carry, at least they seemed to be to me when I carried other carseats.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from austengirl. Show austengirl's posts

I have to agree with those that mention the carseat/baby combo gets very heavy.  My ds only lasted in the graco till about 8 months and even at 7 he was getting very heavy to lift in and out.  I borrowed a snap n'go and it was the best thing ever for about the first 3-4 months but then once he could sit he did not like being in the carseat laying down so we have used the graco stroller quite a bit (travel system) I do wish though we had bought seperately and gotten a better stroller as it does not lay down flat for naps which is very annoying. 
    I recommend not upgrading to the carrier that allows for a bigger baby - you probably wont use it, spend the money on a better convertable down the line - you will have it longer. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

I appreciate all the comments.  Now I just need to decide!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from summery123. Show summery123's posts

I have the Chicco and liked it. Its big though so might want to take that into consideration depending on how big your car is. The Graco is more compatible with other strollers but most infant adapters come with straps to strap the carseat on if it doesn't snap on. I agree with others, get a snap & go. Once your baby is out of the infant seat, I recommmend the Maclaren for running erands, its small and light weight and can fold up with one hand. For walking/jogging, I use the BOB and LOVE IT. Its worth every penney and you can buy an infant car seat adapter. Those travel systems are bulking and heavy. Its a pain taking a bulking carriage in and out of the car. Good luck!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Hi ladies - sorry to hijack this post but I thought it might be better than starting a new, very similar post...

So, we got the Evenflo Aura Travel System, despite the fact that I had heard some negative reviews about the infant seat. Basically, the handle has to be all the way down in the car - which takes up an additional 3-4 inches of space. I know I should have checked this out prior but I didn't and now I have a travel system w/ infant seat that will not fit in our car. :-/

So...I am returning it tomorrow and am now looking for a replacement. Thinking about a Graco travel system, the one I'm looking at that I like so far is the "Ben" and it has the Graco 35 infant seat. I like that it goes up to 35lbs b/c we'll be able to use it longer.

Can you all confirm that the handle for most carseats, except obviously the Evenflo Embrace, can be upright so that it doesn't take up so much space?

Any suggestions for a travel system/infant seat for a smaller car? We have a Mazda3 Hatchback - it isn't tiny, but I definitely got a dose of reality yesterday when I realized it is not all that roomy either...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I think that all of the handles are supposed to be down when in the car. But some (like the Chicco) sit really close to the bucket and don't take up a lot of room (I know it takes up some room, but I think it took maybe 1-1.5 inches, not 3-4). And where are you putting the seat? I know middle is the "best" but some cars (like my Forester) recommend against it, so we put it behind the passenger seat. Since I am short, and usually ride in the passenger seat when DH and I are both in the car, it was no biggie to move my seat up enough to accomodate it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

I don't think I'm explaining it right...I need to find a picture. I know they can't be fully upright but this one has to go down and BEHIND the seat - not down to the top of the seat like I think others do - but, then again i could be wrong. I'm positive i have seen complaints about this seat for this reason though.

It won't go in the middle, and we have to push the front seat all the way forward to get it to fit and even then it is too tight (you need 1 1/2 inches of space between the carseat and the passenger seat).

frustrating!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Silver - I get you now. I don't know where you bought your seat, but maybe you need to go someplace that will let you test fit the seats in your car, even if you purchase it elsewhere, just to be sure. I think the biggest issue with carseats is that the dimensions don't really give you the whole scoop on how it fits in your car.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from betty7. Show betty7's posts

Silver, we have a mazda3 hatchback and have the snugride 22 which fits fine.  I didn't even consider the higher weight limit car seats because I'm such a weakling and I didn't want to lug around a heavy carseat with a heavy infant. We didn't get a travel system, just use the snap and go for stores, and have the BOB with the carseat adapter for around town. We've been very happy with both. Once the baby outgrows the carseat, we'll probably go straight to a convertible seat and get an umbrella stroller. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from evavase. Show evavase's posts

Hi Silver, 

We have the snugride 35, and I hate it.  :)  Seriously...it's so big, bulky and heavy.  DH has a Saab 93, and it barely fits in the backseat behind the passenger side where we have the base.  When we take his car anywhere w/ the baby, I am basically eating the dash!

I would also go w/ the snap n go.  Travel systems are pretty cumbersome and large and just don't seem all that high quality. 

Sections
Shortcuts