classes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

classes

hi, I am 30 weeks and really just started to wonder if any other first time moms thought the classes were worth it.  Did any you first time moms take these classes and if so did the breathing really help while in labor?  Nothing like procrastination on my end!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Re: classes

I am very glad I took all four classes I did. The "prepared childbirth" class was a lot more than just breathing exercises. I especially liked the work we did as mom & partner on relaxation and pain relief techniques. We also talked about the various things that may/will happen during labor & delivery, what to bring to the hospital, epidural vs. "natural" vs. c-section births (no judgment), and did an extensive tour of the hospital. The "newborn essentials" class had lots of good information on lots of topics from swaddling to diapering, car seats, illness, etc. It was helpful to be ask questions and connect with other parents. The CPR/choking class was definitely the most useful class--I can't imagine not doing it. (And, no, watching a you-tube video won't cut it on this.) Finally, I loved my breastfeeding class. I know that I will need more help and support post-partum, but our lactation consultant gave tons of information about many developmental milestones.

I think the social interaction and ability to ask questions (and hear others' questions) are really important benefits of taking the classes. I took all of mine through Isis Maternity.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

Good question June-

When does everyone think you should take a lot of these classes? I have no idea on this stuff (I'm at 16 weeks).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

We took four classes as well:  Natural Childbirth, which is similar to the Prepared Childbirth class, but focuses on laobr without pain relief.  The person who taught that class was great and it wasn't too out there "epidurals and c-sections are the devil" for us.  We covered those things, but there was more focus on un-medicated pain relief methods than in the regular prepared childbirth class.  That class was very worth it and included a hospital tour.  We also took infant care, which, like Kiwigal's class, had useful information about swaddling, car seat safety, illnesses, when to call the doctor, etc.  Infant CPR and Safety is in my opinion a must.  I think we are going to take a CPR refresher course at some point soon.  In addition, we did the breastfeeding course.  I wasn't a fan of that class, but mostly because of the instructor.  She spent a lot of time extolling the virtues of breastfeeding and not as much time on the practical aspects, like different holds and pumping, and what to do if your baby had problems latching, how DH can help and support mom during breastfeeing, etc. Obviously, if you were at a breastfeeding class, you already wanted to breastfeed, I didn't think we needed the whole "breast is best" talk. 

As for the timing of the classes, our childbirth class was six weeks, and due to the schedule of classes, and my and DH's schedule and due date, we took it a bit earlier than most, it seems.  We started when I was 26 weeks.  I think most people start a bit later, around 28 or 29 weeks, so you'd get done by 36 weeks in case you went a little early.  The other classes, I would also in between 34-36 weeks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

I was going to ask the same question. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

In Response to Re: classes:
    [QUOTE]Good question June- When does everyone think you should take a lot of these classes? I have no idea on this stuff (I'm at 16 weeks).
    Posted by rhm327[/QUOTE]

I took the childbirth class at about 30 weeks and the others around 34-35 weeks. I wanted to be finished with classes before I headed back to school this fall.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

I just checked Hallmark Health's website...since I am going to deliver at Melrose-Wakefield, they have a weekend class next month that I have called to inquire about.  I really appreicate the feedback...sure my husband will love that he will miss the beginning to football that Sunday!  LOL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jessica9379. Show Jessica9379's posts

JuneBride,

I took my classes as Melrose/Wakefield, the 4-week Childbirth Education Series.  I honestly wouldn't recommend it.  I learned the most from the Infant Care Class - but that on its own is only $25. 

It wasn't pointless, we did learn a few things - but if I could do it all over again - I'd take a bunch of individual classes, instead of the series.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

We took our classes at Isis Maternity.  Multiple Birth, Breastfeeding, Infant CPR and "bringing home multiples."
    They were all somewhat helpful - the infant CPR is a must.  I ended up having to abandon my desire to breastfeed after 5 days, but I'm glad I took the class.
    Don't believe anyone who says "the nurses will help you" at the hospital.  They will, but you're not there long enough to learn everything you need to know so take some classes - or at least read some books about taking care of newborns.
    The birthing class talked about vaginal versus c-section, pain management and what to look out for when you start to go into labor.  There isn't a lot of breathing anymore - they've found that people hyperventilate when they do that "he he he, ha ha ha" stuff.
    I took my classes around 20 weeks - did them early because twins often come early and twin moms often end up on bedrest so I wanted to get them under my belt.
    good luck!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Hi - I tooke a BF class which was good just to learn about latching on, other than that I thought it was overwhelming - I also ended up nursing for only 1 week and then pumping from there.  My DH and I took an infant care class that I thought was great - learned how to bathe the baby, care for the umbilical (sp?) cord, circumcision, what the hospital stay would be like, etc.  We did not take a birthing class, I was way too nervous to see what would actually happen and I think DH would have been VERY nervous -- I ended up with a breech baby and a planned c-section anyhow.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I took a hypnobirthing class, and loved it. It teaches you self-hypnosis as a pain management tool, but it also covers many other things, like what to expect at the hospital, prenatal nutrition, making a birthing plan, etc. It was a long class though (8 sessions, I think) so if you are already at 30 weeks it might be hard to get into a class that long. Plus the whole point to hypnobirthing is to practice the relaxation techniques for a good long while before you are in labor, so that you are good at getting into a relaxed state, even with distractions.
    I also went to a BF seminar, as well as the class at the hospital, and I think that they are useful, but only for the most basic "getting started" type information.
    I agree with everyone about CPR/first aid. I have taken the community CPR/first aid class through my work, which includes infant, child and adult CPR, and I think it is terrific.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rollergirl. Show rollergirl's posts

i just finished my childbirth educator training with the international birth and wellness project (at www.alace.org -- the group was originally known as the association of labor assistants and childbirth educators) and am currently offering private/small group classes on childbirth preparation and will be offering a more comprehensive course in the spring. feel free to PM if anyone is interested in more information.

bridget colvin
    http://holisticbirth.wordpress.com

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hot-tomato. Show hot-tomato's posts

I took a one-day class at GH when I delivered my oldest there. It was helpful to be walked through what to expect when you show up for the delivery, how to know when to call, and all that. In retrospect, I wish I had taken a BF class as well because I didn't feel prepared for that at all and we had some problems at first. As far as preparing for the actual delivery, things I learned in my yoga classes (breathing, focus, etc) helped much more than anything I learned in the actual class. GH offered an infant care (bathing, dressing, trimming fingernails, etc) class at the hospital after delivery which was pretty helpful too.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lilmomma2be. Show lilmomma2be's posts

Some hospitals offer various classes after birth. Winchester offers daily breast feeding classes post-pardum. They also offer the birthing class online, which is what I plan on doing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ElmiraGulch. Show ElmiraGulch's posts

I took infant-child CPR.  I also toured the hospital to learn about how they do things, their procedures, their policies.  Very useful and I definitely used that information.

The other classes, I reviewed their syllabus and did not think it was going to be more information than I had already.  However, I am a book learner.  Post-birth, having a nurse come to the house and check on us was helpful.  Also helpful was the in-hospital lactation support.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

We took:
    - Breastfeeding Basics
    - Infant CPR
    - Prepared Childbirth

We took all of them through Isis and they were all helpful in their own ways.  

The one class we have left to take is Newborn Essentials which, to be honest, I'm primarily taking for DH's benefit.  I've been around babies my whole life (I was 14 when my youngest brother was born and was like a second mother to him) and feel pretty confident in my baby-caring skills, but I felt strongly that it was important for someone ELSE to teach DH about diapering, swaddling, etc so that when we bring our baby home, it's not a constant vibe of me "teaching" him how to do things.  I want him to feel like he knows things on his own, you know?  So I'm hoping that class will be helpful, in that regard.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JLCO. Show JLCO's posts

I found the classes helpful to at least give me an idea about what was going to happen.  I made some aquaintances in the class, and we socialized for a time after our babies were born.  The most important information that I did use was when I had the epidural line inserted. I knew from the class what to expect, and was able to tell the anaesthesilogist that it wasn't in right, so he could reinsert it.  I also agree that for the person not giving birth, it's v. helpful, so you're not always in the position of teaching him/her everything.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

Has anyone taken the newborn essentials class at Destination Maternity? I know those are free so I was thinking of doing that (mostly for DH's benefit) there while we'll probably take the Prepared Childbirth and Infant CPR with Isis.
    Also, did any of you have a nurse or someone else talk to you about this stuff before you were discharged from the hospital when you went to deliver? My SIL who lives in NY said that they went over that stuff with her and my brother with their baby before they left (along with doing some lactation support).
    Anyone else surprised that MGH doesn't do these classes themselves and they had to pay for them? I guess I always thought the hospitals do this stuff and we would not be charged. I believe our health insurance plan will pay for half of the childbirth class, but I'm still surprised.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

rhm--at BI there were daily newborn "classes" on the maternity floors and the nurses were helpful going over "newborn essential" kinds of stuff. We went to the bathing class (our LO ended up being the "model") where they also talked about taking temperatures, swaddling, signs of illness, etc. The nurses encouraged us to do the dressing, swaddling, diapers, etc. ourselves but were there to offer tips and answer questions when we had them.

Sections
Shortcuts